• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst "He was there all along" Retcons

Ok just for this scene I need to watch this movie, whatever it is.

DreamWorks' Puss in Boots. Enjoyable movie, but really forgettable outside of this scene and

giphy.gif

Goddammit, top of page. I really don't have anything else to add to this thread.

The only legit good one is 999.

lmao I swear to god I'm not sure if you people are mememing or not. Saying ZE2 is bad is some of the most misleading shit on GAF. Virtue's Last Reward is incredible and my personal GotY 2013. Frankly, I think I found it even superior to 999 but 999 got the novelty advantage so it's hard to say. If ZE3 had turned out good, this would have likely been one of the best gaming trilogies out there. ZE3 seems to have killed a lot of hype for the series whereas its reputation was perfectly intact after ZE2, and rightly so. They toned down the horror atmosphere a bit but I felt like that had no negative consequences at all.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Vegnagun from FFX-2.

00011.jpg

The entire time you were busy fighting Sin, there was a giant evil looking skullfaced moth mecha buried way underground that is not only stronger than Sin but no one bothered to mention its existence throughout the entirety of FFX. You'd think someone would have said "sure Sin's bad, but at least it's not Vegnagun!", but it just never came up. Whoops.

Runner-up: Terra and Aqua in KH:BBS granting keyblades to the kids from KH but the games never mentioning it up until that point.

Nobody knew about Vegnagun except for a couple 1000 year old unsent. Vegnagun also needed a pilot, so even those who did know weren't worried about it coming to life or anything.

Artanis was the executor in Starcraft 1 instead of the player

"We blame Manus for our sins, not humanity's stubbornness to keep itself alive so we introduce cycles" - Dark Souls 2.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
No in between huh? The entire game is ruined because of it?
Since the main thrust of the narrative is centered around Nate's relationship with Sam, I can very easily see how a character like that can completely taint the entire experience for someone.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm fine with the ZTD twist everyone is discussing. What I'm not a fan of is how the end of that game basically says "haha yeah
that stuff from VLR? Totally made up

aaaaaa

So, did anyone else see Lion King 3? If the answer is no, then never watch it. I only did because I was a stupid child when it came out. It turns out Timon and Pumba were always around in the beginning before Simba ran away. For example, it was actually they who messed up the entire animal tower at the end of the 'I Just Can't Wait to be King' musical number....

Based very loosely on the play "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" which has those two minor characters hanging out in the wings of scenes from Hamlet.

Prompto

Banned
Surprised no one has mentioned the Bioshock Infinite DLC

Elizabeth working with Atlas and being responsible for Jack coming to Rapture was dumb.

Dr. Buni

Sofia Lamb in Bioshock 2. She was apparently a huge figure in Rapture, even though she wasn't mentioned a single time in the first game.
Sofia was great, though. Much more interesting than whatishisname from BioShock.
Did Gackt single handily ruin the Final Fantasy 7 story?

Yes. Yes he did.
Gackt can never ruin things, only improve. Final Fantasy 7 never had an amazing story, so yeah.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
lmao I swear to god I'm not sure if you people are mememing or not. Saying ZE2 is bad is some of the most misleading shit on GAF. Virtue's Last Reward is incredible and my personal GotY 2013. Frankly, I think I found it even superior to 999 but 999 got the novelty advantage so it's hard to say. If ZE3 had turned out good, this would have likely been one of the best gaming trilogies out there. ZE3 seems to have killed a lot of hype for the series whereas its reputation was perfectly intact after ZE2, and rightly so. They toned down the horror atmosphere a bit but I felt like that had no negative consequences at all.

I am not commenting on the quality of the game (gameplay, systems, mechanics) itself, of which I am perfectly willing to admit that VLR is leaps and bounds above 999, but rather to how the game handles the main twist itself that hangs on the main premise that
Sigma doesn't realize that he's an old man.

That is just profoundly stupid on every level.

I am not commenting on the quality of the game (gameplay, systems, mechanics) itself, of which I am perfectly willing to admit that VLR is leaps and bounds above 999, but rather to how the game handles the main twist itself that hangs on the main premise that

Explained to an extent.
he doesn't realize he is weaker because of low gravity, mirrors are not reflective, etc

Nicolada

I remember that people would nitpick about that spoiled bit all the time before ZE3 came out since it really pushed the willing suspension of disbelief, and after we played through ZTD no one mentions it anymore lol.

ZehDon

No in between huh? The entire game is ruined because of it?
Yeah. Think of a problem with UC4. Now realise that, at its core, its likely there due to the inclusion of Sam. Poor pacing? Sam flash backs. Walk and talk segments? More time needed to flesh out Sam. Little time with main stay characters? Gotta push the Sam connection.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Explained to an extent.
he doesn't realize he is weaker because of low gravity, mirrors are not reflective, etc

Still completely stupid. It's practically impossible for him not to encounter *any* situation during the whole ordeal that would blow open the entire twist away; touching his face, sitting down and look on his hand/body, etc etc etc. It's a twist that's extremely forced just for the sake of "Surprise!"

I remember that people would nitpick about that spoiled bit all the time before ZE3 came out since it really pushed the willing suspension of disbelief, and after we played through ZTD no one mentions it anymore lol.

I was half thinking of buying ZTD just to get closure but everyone I asked about it advised me not to make the plunge.

Huh?

This isn't even a retcon at all. As far as Nate was concerned, he died well before the events of Uncharted 1 and had no reason to think he was alive until Uncharted 4. They made zero change to any part of the story to accommodate Sam's existence.

Great post and I'm glad someone else brought this up. Sam wasn't a retcon at all. In fact, I thought his inclusion was handled extremely well.

Diablo III: The Wanderer (protagonist of Diablo I) was the son of the king of Tristram all along.

er, no...

The prince was Diablo in Diablo 1, the wanderer took the stone into himself at the end of Diablo 1. This character is Diablo and D2 and
is the father of Leah in D3 (also banged the Witch from D1)

Rncewind

Still completely stupid. It's practically impossible for him not to encounter *any* situation during the whole ordeal that would blow open the entire twist away; touching his face, sitting down and look on his hand/body, etc etc etc. It's a twist that's extremely forced just for the sake of "Surprise!"

I was half thinking of buying ZTD just to get closure but everyone I asked about it advised me not to make the plunge.

yeah i agree, VLR is probally my favorite Visual Novel but this "twist" was super forced.

kiguel182

Not sure if it fits but on Skyward Sword:

the revelation that Fi is the master sword and it's inside it and has been for all the other games. Ugh.

His hands aren't real, they won't have appeared to have aged, if that's what you're thinking. The rest of his body except his face is covered.

Get ZTD anyway, even if it stumbles for the last 1/4. It's the Mario sunshine of visual novels pretty much, the other stuff is almost unarguably better but that doesn't make it not worth at least one go through.

His hands aren't real, they won't have appeared to have aged, if that's what you're thinking. The rest of his body except his face is covered.

Get ZTD anyway, even if it stumbles for the last 1/4. It's the Mario sunshine of visual novels pretty much, the other stuff is almost unarguably better but that doesn't make it not worth at least one go through.

Bowser Jr's motives are complex.

Paradise is simply unfair, don't you think?

Nicolada

It's just that people were expecting something completely different. What we got does work and makes as much sense as the other games, and it still leaves some things open to discussion. It just kinda depends on how you interpreted the 'secret' end of VLR.

Even then, playing the game is worth it for the memes alone.

AndersK

Close second: StarCraft 2.

Starcraft 2 is some impressive fuckery. The millenia-old hive mind of the not-tyrannids wasn't a bad dude really, just under the influence of some fucker named Amon. Oh and the hive mind still managed to infest this one gal, Kerrigan, because it knew she'd be prophesized to be the only One capable of killing the big bad.

This then, hilariously, leads to: Kerrigan, mass-genocidal murderer, isn't a bad dudette really. Just under the influence of some fucker named Amon. Oh and Jimmy still loves her despite not Knowing this, making Him save her, even though he swore he'd be the man to kill her.
Also giant naked angel of fire ending with so much space magic it'd make Ron Moore blush.

Starcraft 2 is a fantastic game, with this one glaring exception. I don't mind a stupid space magic extravaganza, it's just tonally a real effing weird swerve to make in the sequel to a fairly shades of grey dirty space warfare game.

er, no...

The prince was Diablo in Diablo 1, the wanderer took the stone into himself at the end of Diablo 1. This character is Diablo and D2 and

Dark Wanderer was retconned into being Prince Aidan

Prince Aidan of Khanduras, later known as the Dark Wanderer, was the eldest son of King Leoric of Khanduras. Once a warrior, he later became a vessel for the Prime Evil Diablo.

By Diablo III, and the warrior's background had been altered/added to, being given the name of "Aidan" with the backstory that he was Leoric's elder son. This is effectively a retcon, as previous lore had stated that Leoric only had one son (Albrecht) not to mention that the people of Tristram knew who he was the whole time, a contrast to the "nameless hero" spoken of previously. This is slightly amended in Book of Cain, where Deckard explains that he used the term "Dark Wanderer" to describe Aidan because he could not bring himself to use his name after his fall. Marius and other characters used the term "Dark Wanderer" as well, likely because only a handful of people outside of Tristram knew the truth of the Wanderer's identity .

er, no...

That would make so much more sense, but no that is not the case.

Speaking of one character being retconned into another character, the G-Man in Half-Life was retconned from being "The Administrator" of Black Mesa into being a figure of unknown origin in Half-Life 2. Breen, never mentioned at all up until this point was created to fill the gap.

I thought Shu Takumi would never let me down

Psh, that's nothing compared to Azran Legacy

You find out Hershel Layton isn't his real name, it's his brother's ("Layton"s real name is Theodore Bronev, and he was adopted). His brother wanted Theodore to be adopted instead of him, so he let him take his name.

Also his brother is the asshole villain who has been pestering you throughout the second trilogy, and his real father is the OTHER asshole villain who becomes the main villain of the game.

Everyone dies because of aliens, but get wished back to life because humanity has some good in it, or something.

Also your other sidekick was a spy this whole time, fuck it!

Runner-up: Terra and Aqua in KH:BBS granting keyblades to the kids from KH but the games never mentioning it up until that point.

I have a high threshold for nonsense if I like a story enough, even for stupid retcons; but this is what made me lose interest in KH's story. I hate stuff like this, especially since up until BBS, Sora, Riku, and Kari didn't have the "predetermined destiny" crap attached to them.

Top Bottom