• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Male Character Design in Gaming

DSN2K

To balance it up, My contribution....

hWyc.jpg

Took all the charm from Sands of Time and made him angry and edgy and it comes across extremely over done. I found the Whole game horribly unappealing visually.

To balance it up, My contribution....

Took all the charm from Sands of Time and made him angry and edgy and it comes across extremely over done. I found the Whole game horribly unappealing visually.

Are those stretch marks or veins (by his armpits)? lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Most of the FF8 male cast looks absolutely awful. Effeminate (not in a good way) and/or douchey and completely unappealing in every way. Squall, Laguna, and Zell are the worst offenders.

But then it appears things got worse later on, 'cause that Nooj guy.... yeah.... and that dude with the stupid purple hair, omg

bigkrev

A stand in for the horrific design of the entire Gears of War series. It was as if they were attempting to make the most un-fuckable guys possible. Just a mass of bulging muscle, some giant armor, and a shitty do-rag

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh yeah, this fucking thing too (well, the entire art style is bad, not just males):

ps3.jpg

MY EYES

Seconded.

Dracula from Castlevania Judgement is a close second.

castlevania-judgment-20080711074111517-000.jpg
There isn't a single Castlevania Judgment design that doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out tbh.

Wow this is a FF thread huh?

Well let me just say by far IX is the worst, too a point where the character design in that game puts me off the game early on. I actually think Vaan is alright. Tidus' pants really hurt his case.

HeatBoost

So, value is generally considered to be partially based on scarcity, right?

Ubiquity can be useful, but is generally not considered to me a marker of quality

I'm trying to say: I'm tired of motherfuckers that look like:
IRkOsaF.jpg

I think if I was a brunette white dude I would either grow my hair out or dye it because god damn

bluexy

Tidus' pants really hurt his case.

His overalls don't even connect to his half-shorts/half-capris. They're for his jacket. They only hold his jacket to his chest! And his belt is to keep his overalls-for-his-jacket from flaring up like a skirt.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nooj, Caius, Van and that JRPG kid who is so over-designed it looks like a bad parody of itself, you know, the one who has a weapon that looks like a spoon and shit

Ubiquity can be useful, but is generally not considered to me a marker of quality

IRkOsaF.jpg

I think if I was a brunette white dude I would either grow my hair out or dye it because god damn

I may be biased, but I always felt like Snake didn't belong on this list. His design always struck me as fairly standout plus who else could rock a mullet and pull it off?!

Bossking

Banned
Don't understand what's the problem with Final Fantasy IX's designs. None of the outfits are particularly outlandish. Is it just the cartoony proportions?

Wazzy

Banned
This thread has most horrible ones covered(saved for a few awful posts) but my contributions would be Genisis from Crisis Core, Cecil Dissidia, pretty much most Dissidia designs and Pokemon Black protagonist.

Kinsei

Banned
Oh yeah, this fucking thing too (well, the entire art style is bad, not just males):

ps3.jpg

MY EYES

There isn't a single Castlevania Judgment design that doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out tbh.

I have no clue how they managed to fuck up the designs for that game so much. They had so much good material to work with and it's like they just decided to throw it out the window.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Don't understand what's the problem with Final Fantasy IX's designs. None of the outfits are particularly outlandish. Is it just the cartoony proportions?
It's not the outlandishness, it's just... ugly and unappealing. I really don't like them either tbh.

Phocks

IRkOsaF.jpg

That image has grouped a lot of white brunette guys but a lot of them don't even look generic or bad.

Mediking

Somebody post an image of DiZ from Kingdom Hearts. Nomura literally has belts wrapped around that man's head.

bluexy

I think that's it mostly. It was a bit part of the critical negativity when it launched too. Folk didn't like the odd proportions. Though to be fair Zidane's got some wonk going on with those sleeveless cuffs.

Venture

A stand in for the horrific design of the entire Gears of War series. It was as if they were attempting to make the most un-fuckable guys possible. Just a mass of bulging muscle, some giant armor, and a shitty do-rag
Are those supposed to be nipple access ports on his armor?

Reset

The reason why SFV bombed.
sfv-ken-moves-03.jpg

Ken Masters.

His overalls don't even connect to his half-shorts/half-capris. They're for his jacket. They only hold his jacket to his chest! And his belt is to keep his overalls-for-his-jacket from flaring up like a skirt.

To be fair, that's his team's uniform. Can't blame him for dressing like that.

The do rag was totally necessary. marcus really needed to keep his waves in check while fighting off the locust hoards.

Top Bottom