• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst pre-reveal console, handheld, and controller mockups

NoKisum

It was the ps4 banarang

5Mf3nni.jpg

ACTUAL POST REVEAL CONTROLLER

I legitimately wonder still if anyone ever got to hold the controller and see if it was actually comfortable or not.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Edit: If a mod could fix my "worse" typo to "worst", that'd be fantastic.

Whenever a new console is on the horizon, there tends to be a flood of mockup images created for what people think it will look like - sometimes masquerading as the real deal. They are often just fucking atrocious. Let's post them here.

I bet we all hope the NX looks like this:
MZJJRZ0.jpg

Hang on, this thing that was mocked up before the Game Cube is now being re-used as a NX fake? Hehe, time is a flat circle.

I don't know about you guys but when I saw the "Dreamcast 2" renders I thought they looked like shit and killed any remaining hope I ever had of there being a Dreamcast 2. I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA themselves made those just to put the final nail in the coffin for that idea.

How little we knew....

RM8

These are made by gamers, and gamers have awful taste. Just look at gaming PCs, ew. Since consoles have to also be attractive to casual consumers, they can't afford to be that hideous.

Iced

Hang on, this thing that was mocked up before the Game Cube is now being re-used as a NX fake? Hehe, time is a flat circle.

Hm, maybe that's all this is. I just assumed with the "Nexus" name that it was trying to be "NX". It certainly does look like a mockup from the past.

-shadow-

The original Xbox reveal console.

Dude...just....wow.

BN556yl.jpg
Did this thing actually play games? I've always been curious if it was an actual really dumb design that was functional, or a really dumb design just to grab some attention...

tr00per

Kinda on point to this thread, This will always make me laugh.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/pics3/ps3liebackend.jpg

RIP UK:Resistance

I remember dreaming about the ps4 using two updated cells with 2 hdmi outs for backward compatibility and multitasking
Actually not bad. I'd love a thin bezel 3ds successor

I feel this would be better suited as a general console mockup thread.

nintendo xds from last year

The swivel screen is actually kinda cool

People hated it, but I really liked this for PS4 concept;

ps4-concept.jpg

Just needed to fill in the bottom part to make it stable
There's a joke there somewhere

Ieu

IIRC yes, but it was just a PC in a weird case. I wasn't actually an "xbox" per-say.

It was never meant to be the console, MS just wanted something striking to let people (and probably management) know DirectX Box was coming to your living room. Personally I find it interesting that their Homestation concept from way back in 2001/2 was left up until the Xbone.

Did this thing actually play games? I've always been curious if it was an actual really dumb design that was functional, or a really dumb design just to grab some attention...

I'm pretty sure it was just a mockup designed to signify their jump into the market with the DirectXbox. I don't think it was ever a functional unit although I could be wrong.

Top Bottom