• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Sony really lose money by releasing games on day one on PSN+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GamePassvidians be wild in the army of witness door knocking when they know the real answers.

Why not mention Nintendo too?
war face GIF
Because Nintendo is not comparable to Playstation.

I know you wish Playstation were like Nintendo, but it simply isn't. Nintendo is a different beast.
And im sure you wish xbox was like playstation.

The point is over the last 10 years xbox hasn’t been selling games, which is why gamepass exist as it does. It doesn’t need to exist in the same way for sony because their games make money

I dont think xbox has had one game over the last 10 years sell over 10 million copies

Last edited:
God no.
The point is over the last 10 years xbox hasn’t been selling games, which is why gamepass exist as it does. It doesn’t need to exist in the same way for sony because their games make money

I dont think xbox has had one game over the last 10 years sell over 10 million copies
Sony games are making money, but Jimbo thinks it's not enough. That's why he's expanding to PC, pushing hard into GaaS (10 games?) and revamping the subscription services to include even PS5 games, while leaving himself open to the possibility to go even further and eventually maybe embrace day one releases.

God no.

Sony games are making money, but Jimbo thinks it's not enough. That's why he's expanding to PC, pushing hard into GaaS (10 games?) and revamping the subscription services to include even PS5 games, while leaving himself open to the possibility to go even further and eventually maybe embrace day one releases.

CEO thinks they need to make more money

News at 11

Topher

Gold Member
They probably wouldn't.

But it's more fun to tell your stock holders that your game sold 2 million instead of 200k and rest is from a subscription.

Stock holders don't care either way. They just want to know how much money you made them. If Jim Ryan felt like day one on PS+ would make more money then he'd be jumping on that train in a heartbeat.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Let's be real, how much does a sales figure matter to them when they have other metrics like 20 million people playing Halo and Forza on the other side ?

If they're going all in on game pass, it seems to be working out pretty well for them when they get 20 million unique players within 1, 2 months of release.

Last edited:

Neo_game

lol this is April 1 thread right ?

Obviously they want more subscription and Gaas type game. But they do not want to stop selling game and preferably at good price as well. They want to have both without compromising the sales of the game. I do not understand why Microsoft does not do it. That is the idea of giving the game on subscription model in the first place. To have as many users as possible around 30+ Millions and hope out of those many will buy shit loads of DLC and MTX, that way they can make big profits.

adamsapple

as old Netflix user...i can certainly say that the comparison in the loss of incentive to produce high budget is simply false. Netflix has increased its production quality enormously over time.....

When people make the netflix comparison in a negative way, they seemingly make it with netflix year 1 in mind, not netflix 2022.

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
They would but since they're "4ThePlayers" and the saviors of gaming according to their fans, they should be ok with 80% of their current profits.

MonarchJT

Banned
Shit, I forgot to multiply it by 12 months xD

So ok, doable, but still - A) it's just two games, whereas they'd obviously had to put more games in a frequent manner. And B) at current state the base 10$ PS+ brings about 6B yearly, for basically free, it's just paid online, but by putting even just those two games on the service, that would mean they'd be losing 2B out of those 6 they get just like that now. I

In other words, with their current model, they get 6B for paid online, plus another 2B from fron their 1P games. So as long as people will keep buying their games for full 70$ in such volumes they just don't have any business in putting the games on day one, only when games will start reaching results like Days Gone, where they put a lot of money into them and the return wasn't quite there. Or maybe when they'll start releasing their GaaS projects, because why rekease games F2P where you can charge monthly for them, and what's more important that would allow the games to potentially reach wider audience, a.k.a. create bigger userbase for MTX
to get those money from a service you expose more people to the games.....and this turn in more dlc. Now back up to the pie chart look at how much Sony earns from DLC sales or MTX in proportion to the number of players actually exposed to the games and the earnings instead of selling games. You will understand d alone that having so many more players in the possibility of spending on DLC/mtx brings much higher revenues than the simple sale of full price titles. This on all platforms.
Do your math knowing that 5.5b of full price sales generate 9b of mtx multiplied by the number of users (subscribers to a hypothetical service) exposed to the game against the sales of a single game

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
More like CEO changes course because the old ways don't make enough money.
Wow, CEOs adapting to the market to maximize profits for their shareholders and consumers that they’re beholden to… so… STRANGE.

What is even these (sad) arguments? Scraping bottom of the barrel of retard takes just to console war.

These aren’t “digs” like you think they are. End up looking like hypocuntical dumbfucks.

Last edited:
Wow, CEOs adapting to the market to maximize profits for their shareholders and consumers that they’re beholden to… so… STRANGE.

What is even these (sad) arguments? Scraping bottom of the barrel of retard takes just to console war.

These aren’t “digs” like you think they are. End up looking like hypocuntical dumbfucks.
This thread is about one possible adaptation to the market. So not sure what your problem is.

Dr Bass

Why ? Because the market is more competitive right now than any time in the PS4 vs XBO generation. Why not do things to attract more people to your ecosystem ?

There's a reason I switched to Xbox after being a PS4 owner all last generation.

Plus Jim himself has already left a massive door open for day one releases in the PR interviews when they announced the PS+ rebranding. Day 1 releases will come to PS+ before this generation is over, count on it
Ok I'll explain it to you since you don't seem to get it and your buddy "Bernd" is giving you the strength icon on this.

You are saying ... this is literally what you are saying ...

That you would be more interested in buying a PS5 if they had a "day one" plan (day one games, day one games yaaaaay! just like I said in that other thread last night). I.E. You would be interested in a PS5 if they just gave you all their software for the standard PS+ sub, because you don't want to buy shit. You just want everything to be handed to you.

Why on Earth does Sony want that kind of customer? They don't. MS can have them as far as Sony and Nintendo are concerned. You are looking at this purely from the lens of a selfish, myopic, consumer. The problem is for most businesses, they need to show profits so they can continue to serve their customer with the kinds of products the customer wants. You are literally asking for Sony to give you their portfolio for cents on the dollar because you did them the honor of buying their little console? Like ... where do you get off with requests like that as a consumer? You think you are owed games? Get out of here with that bull. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's just such a losers attitude. I just want good games, and I'm willing to pay the price that will support those endeavors. I like the creators being paid. Because I also expect to be paid well for my work. So I have no problem paying people for theirs. Really simple. And a really simple relationship with the business.

And no, the market does not seem to be more competitive than before. At least before the last few months where Sony has had issues with stock levels. PS and Switch have been trouncing Xbox just as badly as before, because they need more games. See that's the difference here between someone like myself, and fanboys that seem to defend MS like they are an infallible deity. I am happy with the output for the Switch. I am happy with the output for PS5. I am starving for content on my Xbox. Because I like it. And I want it to be good. And it's not. And it's ok to say those things and like something at the same time. That's the point, expecting more because you have standards, not denying there are problems because you actually don't have any. This idea that it's "competitive" now because we got another Halo and another Forza game .. is just a massive wtf to me. They need more unique and original games. I assume they are coming. But man, to those of us who don't give a flying fig about the box you're playing the game on, there is one clear laggard right now.

And just to show some of you clowns I'm not blowing smoke, here is a screenshot of my Xbox live login over my MS account. I have the goods. See? I actually have the things I talk about and am telling the truth when I say things like GPU is paid through 2025 for me. I'm talking from a standpoint of being a fan of games. Some of you guys are just trying to defend MS at every turn for who knows what reason. Like I said a few weeks back, it's the only board I've seen where Sony fans blast Sony, MS fans defend everything MS does at every turn, and Nintendo fans are apparently just off playing Pokemon.

xbox.jpg

Last edited:
MS is not bleeding money on Gamepass.
MS has launched a total of 4 AAA console games on GP since they started the day and date thing, 2 Forza Horizons, Gears 5 and Halo Infinite, everything else was either AA (CD3) a base service game that had almost nothing to it at launch (SoT) a PC Port (flight simulator, Gears tactics) or indie (Ori 2 & SoD2) Sony in that timeframe has released God of War, The Last of us 2, Ghost of Tsushima plus story expansion, Death Stranding (Sony published) Days Gone, Spider-Man, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls remake, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon FW, Gran Turismo 7, Returnal and more.

Yes, the xbox GAMES AAA Day 1 are full of expensive micotransactions, and besides are much less expensives then Sony AAA games, almost all First Party games dont have dlc

adamsapple

Ok I'll explain it to you since you don't seem to get it and your buddy "Bernd" is giving you the strength icon on this.

That you would be more interested in buying a PS5 if they had a "day one" plan (day one games, day one games yaaaaay! just like I said in that other thread last night). I.E. You would be interested in a PS5 if they just gave you all their software for the standard PS+ sub, because you don't want to buy shit. You just want everything to be handed to you.

Doesn't have to be the standard plan, it can be the mid tier one. And, no, of course every single game doesn't come on any sub service day 1. I'm strictly talking about the first party offers.

I buy plenty of games at launch that aren't coming to any service. Not sure why you have to reply in such a flippant hostile tone "you just want everything handed to you", no, I would prefer if there's a more value added service to the system. It's not an unreasonable ask.

Why on Earth does Sony want that kind of customer? They don't. MS can have them as far as Sony and Nintendo are concerned. You are looking at this purely from the lens of a selfish, myopic, consumer. The problem is for most businesses, they need to show profits so they can continue to serve their customer with the kinds of products the customer wants. You are literally asking for Sony to give you their portfolio for cents on the dollar because you did them the honor of buying their little console? Like ... where do you get off with requests like that as a consumer? You think you are owed games? Get out of here with that bull. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Again, not sure what's with the tone. I'm merely stating what *i* as an individual would like to see.

It's just such a losers attitude. I just want good games, and I'm willing to pay the price that will support those endeavors. I like the creators being paid. Because I also expect to be paid well for my work. So I have no problem being on the other side of that coin. Really simple. And a really simple relationship with the business.

Creators will still get paid regardless of subscription service. They won't go hungry, trust me.

And no, the market does not seem to be more competitive than before. At least before the last few months where Sony has had issues with stock levels. PS and Switch have been trouncing Xbox just as badly as before, because they need more games. See that's the difference here between someone like myself, and fanboys that seem to defend MS like they are an infallible deity. I am happy with the output for the Switch. I am happy with the output for PS5. I am starving for content on my Xbox. Because I like it. And I want it to be good. And it's not. And it's ok to say those things and like something at the same time. That's the point, expecting more because you have standards, not denying there are problems because you actually don't have any. This idea that it's "competitive" now because we got another Halo and another Forza game .. is just a massive wtf to me. They need more unique and original games. I assume they are coming. But man, to those of us who don't give a flying fig about the box you're playing the game on, there is one clear laggard right now.

what ? the market is competitive because they both have a host of good studios developing games on them. It will only get more competitive in the coming months as previously multiplatform publishers like Bethesda and Acti Blizzard start making games for Xbox/PC only.

And just to show some of you clowns I'm not blowing smoke, here is a screenshot of my Xbox live login over my MS account. I have the goods. See? I actually have the things I talk about and am telling the truth when I say things like GPU is paid through 2025 for me. I'm talking from a standpoint of being a fan of games. Some of you guys are just trying to defend MS at every turn for who knows what reason. Like I said a few weeks back, it's the only board I've seen where Sony fans blast Sony, MS fans defend everything MS does at every turn, and Nintendo fans are apparently just off playing Pokemon.

I don't give a shit if you have an Xbox or not lol. I'm merely stating something I, personally, would like to see.

-

Man, you went in real hard with that wall of text. Please don't blow a gasket when Jim relents and says first party games are coming to PS+ in a year or two lol. He already left the carrot dangling in the interview a few days back.

MonarchJT

Banned

It's just such a losers attitude. I just want good games, and I'm willing to pay the price that will support those endeavors. I like the creators being paid. Because I also expect to be paid well for my work. So I have no problem paying people for theirs. Really simple. And a really simple relationship with the business.

xbox.jpg
The fact that many of you are so stuck in the objectively misconception that releasing games on a day one on a service is a sign of low budget and low quality is disturbing.

Microsoft is ahead of Sony in first position with an average of 87.4 versus 81.3 di Sony.....nel 2021 ....Sony she finished # 4 in the MS # 6 in the chart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom