• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would The Last of Us 2 have won GAF GOTY in 2021?

Hypothetical 2021 Game Of The Year

• The Last Of Us 2

Votes: 99 56.3%
  • Ratchet Rift Apart

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Deathloop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metroid Dead

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • It Takes Two

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Resident Evil Village

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Psychonauts 2

Votes: 15 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Last of Us Part 2 is not well liked around here, but it did win GOTY at the Game Awards Last Year. I want to see if GAF has come around on it since, and if you guys would vote for TLOU2 over this year's nominees.

This year does not have a clear favorite which should make this hypothetical vote more interesting. We all know TLOU2 is a polarizing game, but is its quality enough to win over this year's somewhat lackluster nominees?

Is Ratchet really better than TLOU2? Would a 2D sidescrooling shooter like Dread get a nomination, let alone win in a year with some stiff competition. Will GAF ever forgive Neil Drunckman? Let's Vote and find out.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'd feel exactly the same, it's one of the most technically impressive games I've played that I didn't really enjoy playing.

So, yeah, I'd pick a different game, any of the ones listed that I played (not Deathloop or It Takes Two yet).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Nah I liked Village a lot more than TLOU2.

The way there were four unique bosses in Village with their own area almost reminded me a bit of Mega Man.

And the basement in the doll house is one of the best moments in gaming...ever.

TLOU2 didn't have anything that memorable.

Hezekiah

Banned
Yeah easily imo, production levels just put it clear of the rest, with all due respect to Ratchet and Clank and Resident Evil.

Psychonauts 2 was good though, maybe there should be a separate AA category.

Flabagast

Of course, but it would have been the case for any of the big tentpole games of 2021 (TLOU 2, GoT, Cyberpunk 2077 in a clean version, FF7R, etc...)

In terms of AAA gaming 2021 was a really really weak year overall

It it was launched in 2021 yes.
It will be probably true for 2022 too.

But it launched in 2020... so it is my GOTY 2020.

na, 2022 is a different league entirely. breath of the wild 2, god of war ragnarok, forbidden west and elden ring. theres your goty nominee list for 2022 game awards and we already know it before even playing them.

Last edited:

The way there were four unique bosses in Village with their own area almost reminded me a bit of Mega Man.

Had loads of memorable moments

xkbBxN8.gif

AddictedProxy

Neo Member
na, 2022 is a different league entirely. breath of the wild 2, god of war ragnarok, forbidden west and elden ring. theres your goty nominee list for 2022 game awards and we already know it before even playing them.
I think you can even already cross out Forbidden West and Elden Ring because it will ultimately come down to God of War Ragnarok vs Breath of the Wild 2.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Last of us 2 is a very unique game, it’s hard to find a better survival horror story driven game with so much naughty dog style, if it were released today yes game of the year. Abby makes Ellie look laughable.

GymWolf

Yeah most probably, 2021 was a good year but not an incredible year by any means.

Not sure if it could win in 2022 tho.

Last edited:

Hugare

lol, 2020 was a stronger year. So of course it would.

The game was 20+ hours long and I'm still waiting to replay it because every single scenario still lives in my mind rent free

Abby's campaign alone has more memorable moments than whole franchises together

I have no issue with anyone who enjoys this game (TLOU2) more than any other, but if I see anyone in here claiming that it's better than everything and everything else is trash compared to it, then you are a creepy person whose opinion should be noted, but ultimately discarded because there is no possible way to have a rational, fair and open discussion over it with you as you have already made up your own mind in the extreme. They are just as bad as the "haters" they complain about.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have no issue with anyone who enjoys this game (TLOU2) more than any other, but if I see anyone in here claiming that it's better than everything and everything else is trash compared to it, then you are a creepy person whose opinion should be noted, but ultimately discarded because there is no possible way to have a rational, fair and open discussion over it with you as you have already made up your own mind in the extreme. They are just as bad as the "haters" they complain about.

It's not an opinion, we've passed that. We're not saying we're enjoying it like Mega Man to call it an opinion, it's the most awarded game in gaming history.

It's not an opinion, we've passed that. We're not saying we're enjoying it like Mega Man to call it an opinion, it's the most awarded game in gaming history.
My statement was more or less aimed at statements like the one in post number 3 of this topic. As to it's awards, I care nothing for what it was awarded. When I enjoy a game, it's not because someone else said it's great, it's because I experienced something I thought was great, not something that gets some pointless award that does not change, enhance or reduce anything in said game.
People care too much about "it's awards" or "it's got 10's all across the board!" what matters is your enjoyment of a thing, not some number ranking or some award it may have gotten.

Woggleman

The game is tied with TLOU1 as the best ND game in another poll on this very forum so it is more liked around here than people think. I actually think it is more liked now than when it first came out now that people have come to accept certain parts of the story. People have the right to their opinion but to me it is one of the best games of the last gen.

Of course it is an opinion. It is just a shared opinion by many people. There are still many people that don't consider the last of us 2 as game of the generation, game of the year, or even a good game. They are not objectively wrong for thinking this. Neither are people objectively wrong for thinking otherwise. Consensus should never equate to objectivity, especially for an entertainment product.

I'm playing through TLOU2 for the first time right now, about 15 hours in on hard mode, and the hate for this game is so misplaced. It's great.
Hate usually is, but so is going too far in the opposite direction, imo. I really do not see much difference between the extreme haters and the extreme fanboys. There are far too many of both, which just makes it difficult to discuss because there is a real lack of a middle ground when it comes to this game for some reason.

Kuranghi

Its a great game but I don't see how it competes with the creativity of most of the other games there tbh. What does TLOU2 do fundamentally different gameplay wise from 1?

Village for me definitely, what a fun and creative game that was. All enemy types were great fun to fight and the animations are fucking spectacular, just as good as TLOU2 but in a different way. Japanese games don't go in for a million motion blended animations, they focus on making sure its really really fun instead.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Psychonauts 2: touches a wide range of topics from aging, inadequacy, alcoholism, jealousy to homosexuality and family issues. Uses a mix of environmental storytelling, stunning level design, humour, great dialog and pure poetic descriptions to give a nuanced, subtle approach to those issues. Also manages to bring character growth to every character, no matter how minor.

TLOU2 : When you fulfill vengeance on someone, this person may also want to exert vengeance on you. This is called the « cycle of violence » and this game, the Citizen Kane 2 of gaming, is the first game (and maybe even the first media) to ever touch those complex narrative themes.
Ok maybe I’m exaggerating a little bit because of my love for Psychonauts 2. Also Death Stranding DC should be in the poll

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I couldn't even finish half the first game. Didn't bother with the 2nd game. So for me, no, I seriously doubt it.

Dread is my GOTY and is the best action game I've played since Ninja Gaiden 2, and from what I've heard Psychonauts 2 is one of the best platformers of recent years. And The Ascent is one of the most impressive sci-fi games I've played since Mass Effect 2.

Games aren't radically better now than when TLOU2 was out, but I have always disliked that series so it doesn't affect my decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom