• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you agree that remakes have become a bit of an annoying fad?

tibia

Neo Member
Nope. Remakes are more appealing since im not into indie games, shooting games, open world games, or racing games.

Remake: Bloodborne, God of War 1-3, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Twisted Metal, Final Fantasy 1-9, etc.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Some of the remasters I think are very good - Nightdive's work, for example, allows classics to live on and be enjoyed that are close to unplayable otherwise. They're relatively cheap and are a clear labour of love for the fans. Some of the remakes I think are also outstanding, though, this is pretty much just Capcom at this point, who shame the rest of the industry. I'm perfectly ok with these titles, because there's enough added, changed, or improved to justify the work and the cost.

The rest are cash grabs or worse. TLOU1 and Dead Space are unironically proud that they haven't changed a thing - it's exactly the same game you already bought at pull price and love!... only now it costs even more than it did when it was an industry leading title doing something new! They're just straight up fleecing. Lazy remasters and re-releases - your Bioshock collections, your Nintendo cash grabs - are largely terrible, but tolerable because they're really just the same games available in a single package. No better or worse. This stuff I ignore, and I think is a bad trend that hopefully doesn't gain any more steam.

And at the bottom there's your GTA Definitive Editions and XIIIs, where they're got garbage and should never have been made. They're worse than the originals, and ruin the chance for those titles to be loved for a new generation. This shit needs to die in a fucking fire.

Bakkus

For the likes of Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 4? Definitely. There are however good examples of remakes, though those have become few and very far between. Metroid Zero Mission might be the best remake ever in regards to how much it improves on the original while at the same time keeping the feeling of the old game in tact.

Some games are in desperate need of a remake. Look at System Shock. I adore that game, but it plays like an operating system and not like a functioning video game. RE1, 2, and 3 were all amazing games, but they feel tonally inconsistent with the series. I do like seeing them get remade (even if I was greatly disappointed by RE3's cut content).

Though there are more "modern" games, like RE4 and TLOU that I don't think need remakes in anyway shape or form.

Yeah it's getting a little tiresome, I prefer new experiences.

I initially thought Dead Space remake would be cool but having watched about 10 mins it brought my whole playthrough back into my mind and looking at side by sides the original holds up well. Regarding the gameplay perhaps it's a too similar step for step retread.

It's nice for those that missed out or were younger at the time, there's a new generation to sell to and it's a classic game for sure but I'm good thanks.

Really it's the remakes/remasters of newer games from PS4 to PS5. The main problem is how long it takes to make new games, they can pump these out for some money while they work on the big 4-7 year project. Uncharted 2 took 18 months to make.

I'd fucking love a new Dead Space game that's in keeping with the original style but that would take years.

Last edited:

TheGecko

Banned
empire spoilers GIF

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yes its really annoying, specially when they are remaking 7th gen games FFS... but that is a consequence of having consoles as gaming devices. Lots of folk remember these 7th gen games as 720p 25 - 30 fps with lower settings. 7th gen games still look AMAZING on PC and on potato modern PCs at that. Easy 4k 60 FPS. 16XAF with ultra settings. Also can be purchased dirt cheap.

As a rule of thumb: PC port>>>>>>Remake.

I can somewhat understand remakes for 5th gen games and before though.

Last edited:

hinch7

Agreed. Way too many remakes over the years, a lot which really unnessesary. Sucks because they take away dev time that, could've gone towards making brand new games with fresh ideas.

The only ones which I'm looking forward is; Silent Hill 2, which I missed the first time, Max Payne - due to such a long hiatus for the series and it being made by Remedy. And I'm hoping new interest in this will spawn another game. Another is probably FFVII pt 2 which can be seen in its own entity compared to the origional.

Last edited:

yurinka

No, because in addition to remasters or remakes there are also tons of great new games and the original games will always be there.

There are more great games being released than the ones you can buy or play. Nobody forces you to buy these remakes or remasters, simply ignore them if you don't like them.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think it's totally annoying. Quit rehashing old games and make some new ones.

I'm primarily and Xbox gamer and I happy to see XGS hasn't gone remake/remaster crazy. I can't say the same for Bethesda with their millionth Skyrim remaster/remake/rerelease/whatever.

Also 3rd party games like Dead Space or Mass Effect are stupid as the originals hold up well and I'd much prefer they put the time and resources into new games.

EDMIX

No.

Most that even have theses points can barely fucking point to some long list of remakes, they'll name 5 games and be like "wow dis a fad"

This has been a thing in gaming for decades and remakes make up the rarest type of game.

Most of gaming are New games
the rest might be a remaster
the fewest are remakes

I preferred when they were making clones of whatever watershed title was popular at the time (COD4, Gears, God of War, GTA, etc.) It was at least SOMETHING. And now they don't even bother with that.

yea...so I see zero evidence of this and some of you need to fucking make a thread with actual data, facts, prove you damn point man, stop with this "they don't even" and then provide zero evidence to back up the point being made.

You still see developers chasing Call Of Duty, you still see GTA "clones" you still see new games buddy. We have more new gams coming next year then remakes. Pick any publisher you feel like it and I 100% can guarantee you we are getting more new games from them then remakes in 2023.

Capcom is putting out RE4 remake next year, they are also putting out a that Monster Hunter Rise content, Street Fighter 6, Exoprimal, potential Dragon's Dogma 2 release etc.

Of 45 games, you'd have a better point if Capcom put out 20 remakes, when the fuck have you seen them put out that many remakes? When have you see ANY PUBLISHER put out that many remakes?

So The Last Of Us 1 being remade is1 Sony title that is a remake, you ignored GT7, God Of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West..

EA putting out Dead Space remake next year, you are getting a new Need For Speed this year, with next year them making Fallen Order 2, Dragon Age 4, Sim's 5 in development and Mass Effect 5 in development

I don't see much to say this is a "trend" even from the publishers that have pioneered this concept. Capcom and Square have put out many, yet even those publishers having things like FFVII remake and FFIX remake, doesn't mean you are not getting FFXVI or KH4 or a new Dragon Quest or Star Ocean or Valkyrie elysiumor, DioField Chronicle or something, we are literally getting Octopath Traveler 2 next year....oh but shit, remakes be da trend and we just getting to many

(names 3 titles)

So I don't see much on this and I'd rather see the fucking data regarding this vs this tired claim, assumption, myth type thing. Even based on what we all talk about I don't see that remakes even take up the majority of our conversations.

Off of the main page of Gaf

Call Of Duty MW2 talk
Persona 5
Resident Evil showcase
Gotham Knight reviews
RDNA 3 talk
Cross gen games thread with Slimy murdering folks
God Of War talk
Steam Deck
Dragon Ball breaks
G4 died

The remake talk you ask?
Silent Hill 2 remake
RE4 remake
Dead Space remake

That is as much as is being talked about regarding this and of course this "concern" thread about remakes lol

EDMIX

Yes. What sucks more is remake of a remake

lol when the fuck has that ever happened? lol

I think the first "remake" of a remake will likely be Resident Evil 1. The first 2002 remake being from 20 years ago likely means some over the shoulder version with ray tracing, in the new RE engine with different character models and such.

Other then that, I don't see much "remake of remake" as remakes are rare enough already, those that did it first might be due in for such a thing.

Maybe Metal Gear Solid 1 as Konami is remaking Silent Hill 2, maybe they see an opening to remake those classics with contracted teams.

AmuroChan

As with most things, it's not a black and white issue. There's a time and place for remakes. Obviously, remaking games that are only a few years old is dumb. We can all agree on that. On the other hand, there are many old classics that could really use a remake treatment and be introduced to a whole new audience.

On the point about remakes taking up resources, I don't think that's a real issue. Most remakes are done by a different dev than the original dev. Bluepoint, for example, is a studio that specializes in remaking other people's games. It's not a waste of their resources to be doing exactly what they want to do in the first place.

EDMIX

I don't really care about the new graphics etc, so I am pretty happy that most of my library is backward compatible.

I ain't paying 70 for the same game with higher resolution when I can play the version I own for free.

R.c07e2d8bdce734352d200407592ab5f5

last-of-us-remastered-playstation-hits-nordic.jpg

last-of-us-part-i-nordic.png

thats called a remaster lol

The PS4 version fucking says the words "remastered" as that isn't a remake.

Shit, even using that slow example, that wouldn't even be the first "remake of a remake" as you could argue that about GTA III or FFVII remasters or HD versions or RE4 or something.

So....no bud.

Nice try though Mike, always good for laugh lol

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
RE1, 2, and 3 were all amazing games, but they feel tonally inconsistent with the series.
the entire series is tonally inconsistent lmao
first few games are a 90s zombie horror flick, 4th to 6th ones are action oriented zombie arcade games, and the 7th and 8th ones are now first person nightmare horror games

Mozzarella

Not at all, while i do understand your point and i do love original IPs and ideas, i can't help but look at the state of the gaming industry these days and think, remakes are actually decent now, most new IPs are mediocre or are falling hard and a lot of ideas are rehashed, you know the industry is becoming obsolete when most new games are just Comic book superheroes like the 2010s decade for films, absolutely awful trend, and the other is multiplayer and co-op online shooter gaming.
I would rather have the remakes in this case.

Guilty_AI

I think remakes are fair game when they revive games that are hard to play otherwise. The reason so many people criticize TLoU Part 1 remake, is because the game is still perfectly accessible and both visuals and mechanics are still solid, it didn't really need a remake.

But what i really, really want is that developers update the originals to run properly in modern hardware with modern features and re-release them.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

The game industry is creatively bankrupt, what do you expect? Triple A is getting less and less viable, because it's getting too expensive and long to make, while at the same time getting more and more generic, which will eventually bore the average gamer and thus pose even more of a risk on the overall profitability of Triple A games, which will further cause their downfall. Triple A is a dead end.

EruditeHobo

I get why publishers are doing it. To them, playing to our naive nostalgia is...

Relatively, it may be "easy money"... however there's nothing inherently "naive" about supporting good devs who are putting out remakes of great/beloved titles. It's a somewhat reliable revenue stream in an increasingly crowded and competitive market, and it literally helps devs stay in business by lengthening the commercial viability of massive, resource-intensive products. That's actually a good thing, assuming you want good devs who make games people enjoy to stay in business, pay their employees, and more importantly have more stability from which they will be able to take a future shot at original new IP.

As someone who works at a studio, asking the gaming market to be more unforgivable isn't necessarily the answer... not for devs, and not even for gamers. And frankly... in the end, as far as remakes are concerned, the market has spoken. Gamers want them.

Gamers also want the casual mobile market and free to play... but I suppose that's a whole other conversation.

Last edited:

Warablo

Are you saying you aren't excited for the Horizon Zero Dawn remake?

I am actually fine with remakes/remasters, but lately they seem unneeded.

Last edited:
Yes and No, I think most games that are remembered fondly deserve remakes, they're a good way to make a great game accessible to a modern audience. The main issue I have with remakes is when they are way too soon. I think at least 2 gens need to be between a game and it's remake (so currently that would mean early 360/PS3 games or earlier). Remasters are generally fine any time as long as they're advertised as such and are mostly upresses and maybe some QOL tweaks and meant to bring games from inaccessible consoles to modern consoles, but otherwise the same game (i.e. doesn't take a ton of development resources away from other games).

Video games should be accessible via modern consoles, and some games have aged terribly and would massively benefit from a remake. I really only have a problem with things like Last of Us being remastered/remade twice in 9 years (especially when they could've put that effort into a high quality remake/remaster of the Uncharted trilogy or Jak and Daxter games), or the plethora of One/PS4 to SX/PS5 "remasters"

Top Bottom