• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be satisfied only owning the Nintendo Switch as your ONLY game console?

TLZ

Banned
No. It's only for Nintendo exclusives. I'll never buy multiplats on it to play very inferior versions.

Enjay

Banned
No. The only Switch games so far to make me stop playing PS/XB for a while were Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Smash. JoyCon analog issues have killed playing Smash for me though.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

If you aren't into many of the big AAA games, then yes. You can own a Switch and not feel like you're missing much as it gets the majority of everything else. If you do play a lot of AAA games, than Its recommended you have one of the main 2 systems, or a PC as well. As good as it is, the Switch is still a mobile device, and thus inherently can't fill the niche that Sony and Microsoft's offerings fill.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
With all my favorite franchises being ported to PC or getting killed off completely I think I can live without those other two. At least 70%-80% of the Xbox and PS4 games I own now can be found on PC.

Varteras

Gold Member
No. It's a great device but there are too few games for it that tickle my fancy. Between Switch, PS4, and PC it's the one that I played the least by far.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
No.

Well, I've hardly touched my ps4 for a while now but I wouldn't get rid of it even though I have a pc as well.

Codes 208

No. Switch is my go-to for party nights (though we usually xbox live and discord for chats since the switch lacks a party chat system) and while i enjoy the convenience of taking it with me on the go or playing games in handheld with a movie in the background via my xbox, it lacks the large scale third party titles and the ones it does have feel like major downgrades to the ps4/xbo ports.

Zannegan

I've kind of been living this scenario for the past year since the Switch was the only console I brought with me to Japan. The short answer is, no. There are new games out and coming for the other consoles that I want to play (I haven't even gotten to Spiderman yet).

That said, if you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose one console for the entire gen, I would probably pick the Switch. For all its limitations, I like the portability (super useful in Japan) and Nintendo exclusives too much to pick either of the other two, third party support/inferior ports notwithstanding.

Last edited:

PaulBizkit

Well, my Switch IS my only game console since I sold my ps4 back in december.
I dont have much free time and all the games I want to play are there on the Switch, besides, sometimes im at my house, or at my relatives' house, or at my wife's relative's house, or also taking care of my daughter. The Switch getting on and off of sleep mode to resume the game is perfect.
Besides, I dont care that much about sony's exclusives and I've been wanting to own a Nintendo console since the 3DS was such a blast.

The DK Tropical Freeze port was my system seller; smash, mario kart and zelda were also big reasons; having games like MK11, The Witcher 3 and Valkyria Chronicles 4 also on Switch makes me want to play them on the go; and games like No More Heroes, Astral Chain, Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3 make me not wanting to look back at having another console.

The Switch is more than enough.

Last edited:

Stimpak

Absolutely not. I like my Switch and it's awesome having a plethora of co-op games to play with my s.o.

However, I need my sci-fi western RPGs pls. And Nintendo ain't tappin' that market.

richyque

Neo Member
ps4 is the only console i game, so having switch as my only console of choice would be like continuing last gen but with no 3rd party support.

Senhua

Yes, mobile and Switch is enough for me.
PS4 and WII U is my last TV gaming and will drop them completely next gen.

I enjoy my Switch for 1st party games, I have a good PC to play 3rd party games. Unless If I'm very busy or need to travel, then I may end up buying a 3rd party game to play on the go.

petran79

Banned
Portability does not excuse paying more for a game while being limited to 30 fps, less gfx filters and 720 resolutions. Especially for multiple multi-platform games.
I'd felt ripped off

Dargor

No, I simply don't like Nintendo's games and as a multiplatform machine its worse than everything else on the market right now.

Kamina

Golden Boy
As i know the comforts and quality of the PS4 and orhers, my answer is no.
If i only had a Switch however, i am sure i wouldn’t care too much. In the end it depends on how deeply you are investigating the games available on other devices and if they are intriguing you.

Someone who isn’t playing all too much, or is happy with the occasional Nintendo game will surely be satisfied with only owning a Switch.
And to be honest, It has crossed my mind once or twice in the past.

Ignorance would be a bliss in case I didn't know about any other console or even PC. But my cramped hands would constantly keep me reminded of finding a better controller with better ergonomics.
You don’t own a Switch Pro Controller?

Last edited:
Yes. That is already what I am doing. Basically stopped playing pc for months now due to real life, so ended up selling my geforce 1080.

Lots of work and a baby girl on the way makes it so that I cannot phantom getting myself in a room with headphones on for an hour or two.

The switch is perfect for my needs. Still want a more powerful version though.

highrider

Banned
Yeah I would be and currently am. I took a pretty long break from gaming after trying and failing this generation to recreate the fun I had with original Xbox and 360/ps3. The Switch has helped me compartmentalize and interact with games differently, but I’m not really interested in getting heavy in to gaming again having multiple consoles. Halo Infinite is the only game on another platform that I would really feel bummed to miss out on, so I’d be tempted by an Xbox when that comes out.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

No, but i use mine to play legendary games on the go, like Skyrim and Witcher so I’m probably not a fair person to ask

Cattlyst

Not really. I have a PS4 as my main console and the Switch as a secondary system. Any big releases that come to both I'm definitely buying the PS4 version for the best experience. Things like Doom Eternal or the new Wolfenstein, it's cool that they're on Switch too but it's an inferior experience on Nintendo's hardware imo.

Griffon

Sure yes, my PS4 got used like 3 times in total, I play everything on PC. A Switch to top it off would be pretty good.

Yes. Since getting a Switch it's become my most played system. Plus, it has Stardew Valley, which is my go to game this gen, so I'd be pretty happy.

Although I am also more a portable gaming kind of guy. Honestly, I've probably spent more time on my Vita this gen than anything else.

Virex

Banned
For Nintendo only games. Then yes. But for multiplatform games, no. The Switch ports are usually inferior in all ways.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
The Switch is all I currently still have, and I'm very happy with it. PSVR has me wanting a PS4 Pro again a bit, but I'm fine waiting until the next generation.

mcz117chief

Switch is great for playing on the go or when you want to chill in the bed, but otherwise it is far inferior to other consoles. It has fantastic exclusives, that is true. I dunno, I guess not. Really, the question is very vague. If I was a poor lad and lived from hand to mouth then I would absolutely be satisfied with Switch.

Quixz

Nope!

They don't have any of the games I'm currently playing. Destiny, COD, Dauntless, GT Sport and Horizon 4

PocoJoe

Banned
No.

It would be boring to only have 4-5 good games sofar. Zelda, xenoblade2, rabbids and maybe few others.

Switches bigges problem is lack of aaa-games that arent childish mario games, and second is lack of power.

Ps4 has like +50-100 good games to choose from.

Saruhashi

Banned
Yes.

For a few years the only console I had was a 3DS and the simple reason for that was not having the time or even the opportunity to sit down in front of a TV and get some gaming done. However, I was always able to grab an hour here and there on 3DS.

I don't have that situation these days and I do own a PS4 but I still find myself spending a large majority of my gaming time on Switch.
Apparently I've played 270 hours or more on Breath of the Wild, 320 hours or more on Skyrim and 100 hours or more on Smash Ultimate and I'd say a lot of that has been just a couple of hours here and there, especially when travelling.

It's been good games too. I played Dark Souls in it's entirety in handheld mode. Hollow Knight. Cuphead.
I keep going back to Dead Cells, Enter the Gungeon and Diablo 3.

Even this past 10 days or so I got my hands on Cadence of Hyrule (which is fucking AWESOME, lads) and My Friend Pedro (which is also pretty good).

There comes a point where you only have so much time to play games anyway. It's kind of wasteful to spend money on consoles and a huge library of games when I realistically only have about 40 hours a week max to actually play.

At least with the nature of the Switch hardware I can increase my gaming time.

The flip side of that though is that though is that the games releasing on the high end of graphics and performance, much higher than Switch at least, seem to be basically unmissable for anyone who is into gaming.
I would have been very difficult for me to miss out on Sekiro, Red Dead 2, Spider-Man, Horizon, etc.

Then again, when all I had was a 3DS I was missing out on all kinds of awesome games but I wasn't exactly crying myself to sleep at night. :)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I actually wonder how many people are satisfied with just one gaming platform.
Well I personally big fan of Japanese games and both system have games that I don't want to miss out so to me I considere both PS4 and Switch as my main consoles, I don't know about anybody else but I don't want to only own one of them.

Saruhashi

Banned
Well I personally big fan of Japanese games and both system have games that I don't want to miss out so to me I considere both PS4 and Switch as my main consoles, I don't know about anybody else but I don't want to only own one of them.

Same. For me it's more like I will see a big release coming up like Cyberpunk and think OK I do need a PS4 if I want to play that.
My PS4 library is generally restricted to those one or two massive games that I don't want to miss out on.

ROMhack

Yeah I'd be fine. I quite enjoy having a smaller selection of games because I actually find time to play the damn things. Too much choice and I struggle to find motivation.

I basically buy one game a month these days, and find more joy in gaming than I have in years.

jdforge

Banned
It is my only console at the minute. Im fairly satisfied. I know I’m missing out on some great games, but I also don’t have the time to play as many games as I used to.

Switch being so versatile fits around my lifestyle better.

Teletraan1

Banned
For how much money you would spend on full price games on Switch that appear on all other consoles deeply discounted you would be better off to buy a cheap PS4 or XBO and save yourself some money over the course of a generation. I don't think I have used my switch portability more than a handful of times so if that is something you value know you are paying a premium for it.

No, not quite. But Switch and PC is, IMO, more than enough. Except if you apsolutelly need all the games and have the money for all systems and their exclusives.

No, I'm not a fan of Nintendos first party games and find portable gaming abhorrent, so it doesn't even have that going for it.

Top Bottom