• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be satisfied only owning the Nintendo Switch as your ONLY game console?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bought it at release, barely use it now. The answer is no.
Then question is why did you bought Switch in the first place if there is no game that interest you. That’s like me buying Xbox one and complain about it has no games because it doesn’t have the games I want.

You said once before that you mostly have no interest in Japanese games, why did you expecting when you got Switch?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Then question is why did you bought Switch in the first place if there is no game that interest you. That’s like me buying Xbox one and complain about it has no games because it doesn’t have the games I want.

You said once before that you mostly have no interest in Japanese games, why did you expecting when you got Switch?

I like Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong and all the other classic Nintendo titles. Botw was a disappointment for me and the console still lacks classic Nintendo games like Pokemon. Was kinda hoping for 3ds kinda library for the switch.

Hey Blinkin

If there were some arbitrary rule that dictated one could only own one console, yes.

I enjoy Nintendo games far more as a whole than what I can get on the Xbox or Playstation.

I would miss a lot of games but the truth is, as I get older, I don't have the time to play most of these massive games that the other platforms offer. Most Nintendo games can be easily enjoyed in short bursts.

That doesn't keep me from buying those types of games on other systems, but I honestly finish very few of the games I buy.

zenspider

No. If youre happy to do it fine but you're living in a echo time chamber otherwise, missing out all the true advances is gaming technology wise.

I love the Switch and it probably is my favorite console mainly because I like older school games but I'd be missing out on so much.

Ever since the Wii arguably Nintendo consoles have always been this way.

Ever time I've stepped out of the echo time chamber for something technically impressive (save PSVR), I've been disappointed.

I think the really worthwhile innovations of this gen are like the ones happening in nutrition: "paleo" diets, bone broth, etc., iterations and innovations on old-school fundamentals of gaming - it's coming back to us, better. The rare game like DOOM does both, but I think the exception proves the rule.

So my 4K tv got a purple spot on it (seems to be common with non high end Samsung panels) so I’m using a 1080p set and it does make playing Switch more bearable as they don’t look like complete ass anymore.

No. It's only for Nintendo exclusives. I'll never buy multiplats on it to play very inferior versions.
I’m also kind of here now as well. I’ve tried multiple times to buy multiplats on Switch but never end up playing them much. I don’t use the Switch handheld much.

Reactions: TLZ

Mokus

Only Switch, nope! I'm planning to buy a Switch when it's going to be cheaper for a few games. Being weaker compared to the competition, the ports always will struggle on the system.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Absolutely not. My favorite multiplatform games have skipped it entirely, and the exclusives don't appeal to me enough to make up for that.

cireza

I hardly ever use mine. I would rather pick the Wii U lol.

This console needs more time and more games.

Danjin44

I hardly ever use mine. I would rather pick the Wii U lol.

Haven't you seen all the games coming this year for Switch? If none of them interest you then that has more to do with your taste in games and less to with Nintendo lacking games.

Daymos

The Switch has an amazing mix of great old and new games right now, add that to the portability aspect and its what I spend most of my time with. However, I can't just ignore my entire backlog and play the Switch only.. eventually I'd end up with no Switch games to play and 100 ugly old games that I couldn't stand to play back to back.

So I could be close to a switch-only gamer, but I'm an odd guy who looks forward to going back to play Breath of Fire 2 or Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow or any one of a large number of great old games I haven't thoroughly explored yet.

Last edited:
Nope. As a only-system it would be actually the last one I'd pick. Just a question of game library when compared to everyone else.

Last edited:

Verdanth

No, because I mainly game on PS4.

Switch is my go to system when I'm really tired of playing the same genre and I'm looking for something fresh to play.

They complement each other. Their love runs deep.

Last edited:
Switch and PC is all I'll ever need. Games are releasing on Switch faster than I can even play them. I can play most Xbox games and all Xbox exclusives going forward leaving only PlayStation. I can live without their exclusives unless GT7 ends up being amazing, which it likely will, in which case I'll begrudgingly buy one for that one game. I sure wish Sony would release their shit on PC.

Sleepydays

Banned
The Switch has - to my surprise - become my main system. Admitedly a big part of that is my specific circumstances: I don't have much time for gaming at home currently, so the fact I can bring it work to play at lunchtime is huge.

zenspider

Ever since the N64 it's NEVER been a good idea to have a Nintendo console as your sole gaming machine.

Third parties just don't get on well with Nintendo hardware and you end up missing out some of the best games out there.

I agree here - as much as I love the Gamecube & Wii libraries in retrospect, the release calendar at the times were brutal.

But! I think Switch has had an exceptional release calendar since launch. You and everyone else seem to be tagging FOMO as the main drawback, but taking the library on it's own merits it's been solid.

Yes, it's a lot of indies, but we can point back and say the big titles we're missing are AAA spectacle over substance. There's an upper limit on fun - and I don't think big budgets and graphic filters are pushing that bar any higher than a solid fundamental design. Like, if Anthem delivered on any of it's promises, would I have moved the threshold of maximum fun higher than my time with Full Metal Furies?

Everyone is missing out on something by the limits of time and money. That we focus solely on the highest budget, mainstream-est, lowest common denominator titles as the things to be coveted is really strange.

cireza

Your post makes it as Switch has no games but it does, is just none of them interest you. It’s same with me with Xbox, it’s currently has zero games I want from it but does that mean Xbox has no games?
This is a thread asking for people's opinions. Do I really need to end all my sentences with "in my opinion" ? Or by "as far as I am concerned" ?

You can say that Xbox has no games, I certainly won't be the guy quoting you because you did not specify that this is your personal point of view. Because obviously; it can't be anything else than that.

And to give more insight on why I think this, I am a veteran gamer like many of you out there, and I have played quite a ton of games. So there aren't many games that get my attention, and Switch is not in a great position so far "as far as I am concerned". I also see 0 interest in vastly inferior versions of multiplatform games. I will never play Doom on Switch. I have a Wii U and I love this console, but it certainly did not have enough games either. So I am not interested by Wii U ports either. Finally, I am not very interested in first party games overall, seldom do I enjoy a first party game. This applies to all manufacturers.

So in the end, only third parties that run well and are not ports from older games remain. That's really not a lot of games on the Switch.

However, if a game runs just as well on Switch, then it will definitely be my platform of choice for the game. I played and enjoyed a lot Valkyria Chronicles 4 on Switch, Sonic Mania and Dead Cells as well.

Last edited:

Danjin44

This is a thread asking for people's opinions. Do I really need to end all my sentences with "in my opinion" ? Or by "as far as I am concerned" ?

You can say that Xbox has no games, I certainly won't be the guy quoting you because you did not specify that this is your personal point of view. Because obviously; it can't be anything else than that.

And to give more insight on why I think this, I am a veteran gamer like many of you out there, and I have played quite a ton of games. So there aren't many games that get my attention, and Switch is not in a great position so far "as far as I am concerned". I also see 0 interest in vastly inferior versions of multiplatform games. I will never play Doom on Switch. I have a Wii U and I love this console, but it certainly did not have enough games either. So I am not interested by Wii U ports either. Finally, I am not very interested in first party games overall, seldom do I enjoy a first party game. This applies to all manufacturers.

So in the end, only third parties that run well and are not ports from older games remain. That's really not a lot of games on the Switch.

However, if a game runs just as well on Switch, then it will definitely be my platform of choice for the game. I played and enjoyed a lot Valkyria Chronicles 4 on Switch, Sonic Mania and Dead Cells as well.

Your original post:
This year they releasing games back to back but if NONE of them interest you then it doesn’t matter how much games they release, does it?

Which begs the question why even buy Switch in the first place if it’s first party and third party exclusives don’t interest you?

royox

No, because I love videogames like Sekiro, Dark Souls (1-2-3), Battlefront 2(YES I DO), Final Fantasy XIV and much more that will never reach that console.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No!
Damn, you might as well just quit gaming.
But the other two consoles...

killatopak

I’m not even satisfied owning the Switch and the others.

I’m not interested in a lot of its first parties and it’s more of a third party exclusive machine for me such as astral chain. Still, it definitively has a place in my room.

Also it’s not so bad to play on the road once in a while.

Last edited:

cireza

This year they releasing games back to back but if NONE of them interest you then it doesn’t matter how much games they release, does it?
And which game are releasing that actually correspond to the criteria I have listed above ?

Where did I say that no game had my interest by the way ? I scroll through my posts but can't find where.

Which begs the question why even buy Switch in the first place if it’s first party and third party exclusives don’t interest you?
Because I enjoyed Wii U, despite its flaws.
Because I did not want to try my luck at the shitty screen lottery that occurs with Nintendo 100% of the time after the first batch.
Because I was hoping for a better situation concerning games.

I did it right now, but actually, I don't have to justify my purchases to anyone.

Last edited:

Danjin44

And which game are releasing that actually correspond to the criteria I have listed above ?

Where did I say that no game had my interest by the way ? I scroll through my posts but can't find where.

Because I enjoyed Wii U, despite its flaws.
Because I did not want to try my luck at the shitty screen lottery that occurs with Nintendo 100% of the time after the first batch.
Because I was hoping for a better situation concerning games.
My point is, Switch doesn't have problem lacking games, the problem is it doesn't have games for your taste which thats entirely different story.

I did it right now, but actually, I don't have to justify my purchases to anyone.
Thats fair and I'm sorry, I didn't meant to sounded mean spirited.

Saber

Gold Member
As if.

Not having a Wii, WiiU or Switch never affected me in any way.

Although I admit that the possibility of buying Switch crossed my mind because of the new pokemon game. But since I can't move my pokemons to there I lost all the reason I have to spent money in those crap.

So, thanks Gamefreak. You saved me a lot of money.

Tygeezy

If PC doesn't count then yes. That's exactly what im doing at the moment. My ps4 broke and I barely played it and don't have plans to send it in for repairs.

Top Bottom