• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you rather Sony or MS acquire WB games?

WB games joins...

• Sony

• MS

• Neither, another 3rd party

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moogle11

Banned
I'd rather a big third party buy them. They have a lot of popular IP that's best served on multiplatform games IMO.

That said, if they have to go to Sony or MS I'd prefer Sony.

1.Purely selfish as I'll likely be Sony and Nintendo only going forward. PC gaming didn't grab me this gen when I gave it a try and I just don't really have the gaming time/interest to keep up with more than 2 platforms anymore. I'd be fine with just one if I wasn't such a lover of so many Sony and Nintendo first party games.

2. Sony's strength is in cinematic story driven games. I have more confidence in their first party studies to make great games with Warner Bros movie IPs than I do MSs studios.

I personally think it'll be a big publisher that will pick them up. I personally don't think PS or Xbox want to take on that studio. It always seems like they go for a studio, not a studio with a bunch of subsidiaries under it. WB games is pretty big, there are a bunch of subsidiaries under WB games. Not only do you acquire all the IPs, but you get all these studios, all this staff. PS/Xbox is like WB games their studios are their subsidiaries, to take on the actual WB games would introduce a bunch of studios that would have to take on and figure out what to do with.

My worse case scenario is that PS/Xbox pick them up for their IPs only and liquidates everything else. That would suck. Also, to the people saying Microsoft has a shit ton of $$$ they do, but Xbox doesn't. Xbox has a set amount of money they can get their hands on. That Microsoft bank of $$$ isn't just a pool they can reach into. A big purchase like that is not simple. You don't just send an email to Satya asking for $4 Billion. My guess is they knew about this potential sell off already, awhile ago, they probably had to make a choice: acquire Obsidian/Ninja Theory/DoubleFine etc or go after WB Games. The former made more sense to them. But who knows really, if they make a good enough case to Satya and the number are good... I don't see why it couldn't happen.

Dane

Also, I don't think its impossible to believe in a sort of "management takeover", either from their studios, or AT&T shareholders, making WB Games into a independent company.

Genx3

No way are those studios worth $4 Billion without the rights to the Harry Potter IP and Batman IP's being included in the transaction.
Sounds like AT&T is trying to make a quick buck.

Last edited:
Microsoft for a few reasons.
  • MS would still support other platforms like Wii and PC ( possibly even playstation with some content)
  • MS doesn't have a super hero game to call their own
  • MS has the money to back the purchase and future DC licenses.
  • All WB studios seem to be using Unreal, which is something most MS studios are using
Best argument yet.

Bryank75

Banned
If one of them had to buy... Sony. But I'd prefer neither... 4 billion is way too much because the IP's do not come with the studios apart from MK.

I'd rather SOny spend their money on someone like Capcom or Bethesda with bigger IP's.

Neither,

But this thread made me realise that the polarity of console gaming (Sony vs MS) is fucking boring. We need Nintendo or Sega to step back up or for Samsung to release a console. I do not want another American company making a console.

BRZBlue

If one of them had to buy... Sony. But I'd prefer neither... 4 billion is way too much because the IP's do not come with the studios apart from MK.

I'd rather SOny spend their money on someone like Capcom or Bethesda with bigger IP's.

TBH< if they could just nick NRS, it'd be a steal. Capcom's expensive thanks to their bigger IP's, but a good fighting game studio (That's actually been selling) would be a great pickup.

I'm biased tho, MK11 is one of the best fighting games in a loooooong time, and I say that as a previous Capcom fighting game fan.

BRZBlue

Stadia?
Twitch?
Apple?
Tencent?
Facebook?

Most of these are worse results

Actually I'd take Sony if that means I can get a proper 3rd-person Mortal Kombat action game, on something like the decima engine. Imagine something like Devil May Cry, but with Scorpion and his spear whipping around.

SaucyJack

Tbh I could see Sony being interested if it was all of Warner Bros, not just WBIE. It would be a good fit for their group strategy.

Last edited:

Joey.

I tend to think PS would do bigger and better things with Batman, etc.

But I could see MS wanting that IP real bad. It would be a nice counter to Spider Man.
And Xbox could use all the "exclusives" it could get.

ZZZZ

I think either one of them would do great things with it.
Microsoft needs more than Sony, but i see a third party buying it.

The Alien

Banned
I say a 3rd party unless MS or Sony can buy pieces.

After all the licensing and royalty payments, the profit margins are gonna be pretty slim. $4B is a lot of beans for Microsoft or any other company.

I'd look to buy individual franchises or studios (Mortal Kombat, FEAR) and steer clear of the Batmans, Harry Potter, Legos (let a 3rd party take them).

Pallas

Gold Member
When Sony acquires studios they tend to get BETTER. When Microsoft acquires them, they turn into Rare.

I'll go with PlayStation.

7Cb4PX6.png

I'd rather Microsoft because they'd more likely support PC and might even support PS5 like they do with some devs.

Sony is more likely to acquire them though. People always talk about Microsoft having a bigger wallet. But that doesn't mean Xbox can access' daddy wallet. Or daddy is going to be willing to spend money on their failing child. Sony's best business now is PlayStation and if they can spend more money to solidify that business position in the market and grow revneue/profits even more they are going to more likely take it.
What makes you think Sony is more likely to acquire them? I don’t see them any more likely then say Microsoft. If anything as someone mentioned a third party publisher with Tencent money will probably swoop in.

Horizon, and pretty soon Bloodborne are coming to PC too. That argument of "Sony keeps games away from PC" no longer holds water.
Sure, but those games have been out for a long time now. It’s not comparable to Microsoft’s PC strategy, and I’m sure PC gamers would rather play those IP’s day 1 and not day 856.

jakinov

What makes you think Sony is more likely to acquire them? I don’t see them any more likely then say Microsoft. If anything as someone mentioned a third party publisher with Tencent money will probably swoop in.
I explained why I think that in my post. Both companies have a lot of cash and even though Microsoft has more cash, the top people at Microsoft are arguably less likely to want to put 4 billion into their weakest division that's losing. The top at Sony are arguably going to more likely want to put in billions of dollars into their only golden goose to make it even stronger.

Yoboman

I think NetherRealm would fit with Sony really well, and would be very interested in their take on a Sony fighting game if they wanted to take it on

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sony. MS would probably force them to make some cartoony looking MP focused BS. :messenger_smirking:

Sony because I don't have an Xbox and Sony 1st party have a better track record.

Dthomp

Neither Sony or Xbox, we have enough exclusives and devs already bought up, I don't need any more reasons to have to read console warrior bullshit for these titles going to one or the other. I will say, as much as I enjoy the Batman series and Mortal Kombat every so often, neither would make me go out and get an Xbox if they weren't on PS5 so....eh?

I really don't understand why any of you want Microsoft to acquire them.. Yes, the games would be available on more platforms under Microsoft, but would the games be better? I doubt it.

I would rather have a "masterpiece" being available on a single platform, than a "good" game on multiple. But hey, that is just my take.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Microsoft or third party. If Sony buys it it's locked into one platform. If a third party buys it, everyone enjoys it. If Microsoft buys it, everyone but one platform enjoys it. Pretty straight forward from a pro-consumer point of view.

Microsoft or third party. If Sony buys it it's locked into one platform. If a third party buys it, everyone enjoys it. If Microsoft buys it, everyone but one platform enjoys it. Pretty straight forward from a pro-consumer point of view.

Being a fan of video games shouldn't we root for whomever will make the best possible product? And not who puts it on more platforms?

Camreezie

I'd rather Take two Interactive have them over EA or Activision which have been rumoured. That way they could stay multiplatform too.

LordCBH

I’d rather they be third party, but if I had to pick between those two companies, I’d pick Sony. I like microsofts approach of “release it on pc too”, but Sony has been pretty reliable about funding and releasing the types of games I love, far more than Microsoft has been the past few years anyway.

martino

I really don't understand why any of you want Microsoft to acquire them.. Yes, the games would be available on more platforms under Microsoft, but would the games be better? I doubt it.

I would rather have a "masterpiece" being available on a single platform, than a "good" game on multiple. But hey, that is just my take.

Your fan fantasy is easy to disprove . Check the list of all studio sony has closed.
Sony keep studio with talent, closes the ones that lack it.
The talent is not on sony but on the studios in the end.
WB studios will not become less or more talented because of its owner.

Pallas

Gold Member
I explained why I think that in my post. Both companies have a lot of cash and even though Microsoft has more cash, the top people at Microsoft are arguably less likely to want to put 4 billion into their weakest division that's losing. The top at Sony are arguably going to more likely want to put in billions of dollars into their only golden goose to make it even stronger.

You’re talking about the same company that paid 2billion for Minecraft.

Dthomp

I wonder why so many people think that M$ getting them would make it available to more people? Not everybody has or wants a gaming PC.....so it would still be mostly just available on 1 platform for many if they bought them

sn0man

None. Leave them where they are now or let them go independent.

I actually would be worried they might not weather one or two unsuccessful releases. I guess if we assume they get to keep TLOTR IP then they might do okay with Mordor and something else along those lines

No way are those studios worth $4 Billion without the rights to the Harry Potter IP and Batman IP's being included in the transaction.
Sounds like AT&T is trying to make a quick buck.

I agree but I wonder if that’s just the opening price and that ATT would let them go (without WB ips) for much much less than that
I'd rather Take two Interactive have them over EA or Activision which have been rumoured. That way they could stay multiplatform too.

EA and Activision seem to be multi platform for consoles but I agree with your choice for availability on Steam, Epic, and wherever else. As a Linux gamer having Steam support would be my top preference.

sn0man

The sad part of this news is that we will not get a WB movie character fighter. All those guest characters like Alien, Predator, Robocop, and Terminator could be an awesome standalone fighter. With the reduced loading times and with Netherrealm being excited about SSD potentials they could create something cool like a fighter/beat-em-up mashup game. Gives Netherrealm a chance to have 3 IPs and maybe a new genre to tackle.

The platform holder that would manage them best and allow for their creative ideas to flourish. The only publisher with that pedigree is Sony.

MS, nor a Third party have good track records of managing studios. MS output is self explanatory as to why those studios should stay away from their hands and third parties will turn them into single IP factory farms - regardless of funding.

Easy answer: Sony.

Last edited:

jakinov

You’re talking about the same company that paid 2billion for Minecraft.
The game that still sells millions of copies a year even after a decade. The game that has it's own convention. That has a plethora of merchandise. Has a TV show, an upcoming movie, and is used in schools for learning. A game thats available on pretty much every platform and growing. The deal wasn't so that they could help strengthen Xbox it was an investment to own of the biggest assets in the world that was generating a shit ton of money.

Just because they spent 2 billion on Minecraft, doesn't mean they are going to want to spend double that to own a bunch of geographically separated clusters of employees, IPs that all combined are probably worth less than Minecraft and whos revenue and copies sold all probably are less than Minecraft. If WB games was a massive business that reliably generates great profits and grows AT & T probably wouldn't be selling them off, it's probably doing okay and worth a lot. The people at the top who would consider buying them as an investment (opposed to as a strategic acquisition to help the xbox brand), would have to believe that it's fairly low risk and it's going to print money almost no matter what. But owning a bunch of studios who make games way less popular than Minecraft is arguably super risky. A lot of the value also probably comes from a lot of old IP for games they don't even make anymore like scribllenauts and midway IP. To consider buying them strategically for the Xbox brand, 4 billion is a lot of money for one of their worst divisions. And then you are also going to greatly reduce the profits if you want to properly use your advantage by curbing revenue via blocking games from being published on the platform with the most market share.

Pallas

Gold Member
The game that still sells millions of copies a year even after a decade. The game that has it's own convention. That has a plethora of merchandise. Has a TV show, an upcoming movie, and is used in schools for learning. A game thats available on pretty much every platform and growing. The deal wasn't so that they could help strengthen Xbox it was an investment to own of the biggest assets in the world that was generating a shit ton of money.

Just because they spent 2 billion on Minecraft, doesn't mean they are going to want to spend double that to own a bunch of geographically separated clusters of employees, IPs that all combined are probably worth less than Minecraft and whos revenue and copies sold all probably are less than Minecraft. If WB games was a massive business that reliably generates great profits and grows AT & T probably wouldn't be selling them off, it's probably doing okay and worth a lot. The people at the top who would consider buying them as an investment (opposed to as a strategic acquisition to help the xbox brand), would have to believe that it's fairly low risk and it's going to print money almost no matter what. But owning a bunch of studios who make games way less popular than Minecraft is arguably super risky. A lot of the value also probably comes from a lot of old IP for games they don't even make anymore like scribllenauts and midway IP. To consider buying them strategically for the Xbox brand, 4 billion is a lot of money for one of their worst divisions. And then you are also going to greatly reduce the profits if you want to properly use your advantage by curbing revenue via blocking games from being published on the platform with the most market share.

Yet you think Sony is willing to shell out $4b? My entire argument was that Sony isn’t any more likely than Microsoft to fork over that much cash to buy WB’s gaming division.

Last edited:

jakinov

Yet you think Sony is willing to shell out $4b? My entire argument was that Sony isn’t any more likely than Microsoft to fork over that much cash to buy WB’s gaming division.
No I don't think they are willing to shell out $4B. I think that if you were going measure Sony's willingness and Microsoft willingness. Sony would be more willing to do it. Not that I think they actually want to. Because I think Sony is more willing I think that they are more likely to spend that money. But again I do not think they are likely going to spend that money at all. Arbitrary numbers but Its' like me thinking there's a 25% chance Sony would and 15% Microsoft would. I think Sony is more likely but I don't think they would.

I know what your stance is but you haven't countered anything I said apart from bringing up Minecraft. If you want to have a discussion/debate then we can have one or we can just agree to disagree. It's all subjective anyways, it doesn't really matter.

I'm torn but I think either one would be okay based on the games developed under WB.

Lot of people are doom and gloom about this and there's no doubt going to be some fat trimmed from the transfer that will result in loss of jobs which is really unfortunate in these times....but...

I could see this having a positive impact to the output from their studios. WB has been running a lot of these studios and franchises into the ground with horrible microtransactions and executive influence which might get dialed back under Sony or MS.

Not alot, but maybe enough where games aren't canceled and reworked every few months to chase the latest trend or embed microtransactions into every facet of the game design.

Sony isnt going to buy them. And I wouldnt want them to. Theres no point. Most of their properties are licenses they wouldnt own. I hope Activision goes for it. They might start seliing IP‘s dont see as Cashcows.

hZoCN50.png

lucius

Even if you take the whole DC Universe for 10 years that Is not worth close to 2 billion just for games, I mean they are not getting the movie rights, TV rights or anything else so be a waste for either one. But if we are talking about who will make a better Batman game based on history I think we all know that answer .

Top Bottom