• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony were to revive ONE of their old pvp shooter franchises which would you prefer?

Which Sony pvp shooter franchise would you like to see revived?

• SOCOM

• Warhawk

• Killzone

• Resistance

• Other/None

Results are only viewable after voting.

Batiman

Banned
Socoms the only only one I liked. Probably aged like shit though. If would be awesome if they made a modern one though

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Warhawk would be their best chance of success. KZ/Resistance are old sci-fi kind of game shooter fans wont care about. SOCOM would get obliterated by the other military games out there. And the track record of SOCOM games were definitely the worst of all the series mentioned.

But I think an open spaced big Warhawk battler can do well.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I really enjoyed Massive Action Game (MAG). It had a lot of potential.
I played it at a buddy's house. It had potential. It felt like a COD knock off but at 30 fps with fake guns.

In modern day, they could totally amp it up with 10x better graphics and 60 fps while still retaining their vision about various battles combining into a giant theatre of war. They just had to stick with it.

Kurimao

Remake Killzone 1&2! For online warzone make it big like MAG 256 players. Must be gritty gray as hell like their infamous CG trailer.
if its a new Resistance it should be in 3rd person w/ heavy cinema storyline, we need more LOU clones.

The lack of Resistance love is disgraceful, for shame GAF. Killzone and Warhawk would be welcome too. The problem I see with SOCOM is it lacks that kinetic, mass market appeal to make it a viable alternative to COD. More than anything though I'd loved to see Sony invest big bucks into making a killer, new FPS IP.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If I were in charge of Sony I would start trying to be more like Nintendo, which they should've been doing a long time ago. Cut the big budget cinematic games and focus on quirky gameplay-focused titles. They aren't going to make the next CoD or even the next Apex.
COD is big budget and cinematic yes but don't act like it isn't very gameplay focused... the reason it's such a juggernaut is because despite all the terrible releases and practices, it still has the twitch reflex ADHD multiplayer shooting action that people crave,

T0minator

PlayStation bought Firewalk Studios as they're developing Concord a new FPS, that's worth taking notice. I'm sure they're going to want to dedicate those call of duty marketing dollars toward their own FPS.

It's just likely a space shooter in different planets

CamHostage

SOCOM and its bot even close. Socom 2 to this day was the best online shooter ive ever played. Every single night, countless hours, lobbies full of friends, it never got old. I die inside thinking of what a new bur TRUE Socom could be in a PS5.

But was SOCOM so great, or was it the SOCOM community that was great?

The actual gameplay of shooting and maneuvering was sort of janky (the only SOCOMs I think I really liked to play purely on control quality were the two PSP ones by Slant6, the tactical one and FTB3,) and the visuals were bare; the game also didn't grow in stature as it grew in scope/capabilities, with SOCOM 3 being the least respected of the core originals despite having vehicles and other play enhancements. Bullet physics was interesting but not really used in the run-and-gun online matches, and the third-person perspective made the priorities of mechanics different but you still didn't have enough quick control of your character to be mobile in the battlefield or take proper military tactics into account in a firefight; you just circle-strafed and pogoed and ducked in and out between walls like a FPS. The maps were well designed, and the dead-means-dead tension was intense in large-scale battles. Largely the game was addictive though because you could talk to your squadmates online and talk about the map and the strategy and where enemies seemed to be headed, or just talk shit until you get in the thick of it.

If you watch video of SOCOM now, even online matches with skilled players, it can lead you to wonder what the heck so many people were doing all that time playing this PS2 game...

IMO, the people made SOCOM what it was, and the game thankfully had the right design philosophy and alchemy to foster that community. The whole was bigger than the sum of its parts, and the gamers all found room for each other when they all jumped into its hole whole.

Rebuilding the SOCOM sense of community, with players respecting squad tactics and communicating over mics to play as a team.... I'm just not sure that can ever be put back together again?

Last edited:

cHaOs667

PvP? Most of the Items in the list are PvE...

But yeah, SOCOM needs to have a comeback – but I would imagine it like Squad...

Riky

$MSFT
Killzone 2 was the high point, they should start with a remaster of that game or a reboot based around it. It was the only game where I felt Sony got close to the online community of Gears or Halo.

GreatnessRD

MAG was ALWAYS ahead of its time. Such a shame Sony has been so blinded by COD dick sucking, that it just said fuck it to MAG. You can have both games on your console, Jim. Most people would buy both, lol.

Drizzlehell

Banned
What the fuck is SOCOM, lol.

Obviously, it should be either Killzone or Resistance. Although out of the two, I'd prefer Resistance because Killzone is just a drab, brown war shooter, while Resistance eventually branched off into something more fun and pulpy than that.

mdkirby

I’d like a resistance but just for the single player campaign. It’s not what Sony needs tho, they need a more grounded realistic military shooter if they want an analogy to COD, not some sci fi stuff. They have plenty of sci-fi GAAS in dev….sadly, as some seem genuinely interesting thematically but lack any single player so are a no from me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony made a bunch of mode in addition to uncharted last of us is coming off its best game, there’s a core of open world games (horizon, Spider-Man) but yeah to me a Sony exclusive shooter could be a wild card.

HTK

Banned
Give me Socom with a BR mode.
Please no.

We need a SOCOM 1/2 type of a SOCOM game. Also, PUBG 3rd Person BR has proved to be not a fan favorite because on large maps the 3rd person mode is abused quite a bit. Fortnite can get away with it because of it's build mode and generally how that game plays.

stickkidsam

Warhawk was such stupid fun. I wish they’d bring it back. I recall there being a class system in it and I bet the modern movement shooter trend would work well with its systems. Maybe not too heavily though because that game was clunky.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Insanely hard choice. I couldn't pick between Resistance or Killzone.

Resistance has better weapons, which is expected from the developer of R&C. I also enjoy the alien invasion aspect better. The first Resistance was a highpoint for me, only because I thought it was wild that a AAA game had levels based in Cheddar Gorge and Grimsby!

Killzone is more gritty. The gunplay is superior with the shooting feeling more heavy and realistic compared to the floaty feeling of Resistance. Killzone 2 is the series highpoint. It didn't quite match up to the hype trailer, but it was damn close.

Can I pick both?

Top Bottom