• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony were to revive ONE of their old pvp shooter franchises which would you prefer?

Which Sony pvp shooter franchise would you like to see revived?

• SOCOM

• Warhawk

• Killzone

• Resistance

• Other/None

Results are only viewable after voting.
While MS may have been able to acquire Activision and thus COD and while Sony and MS has signed a binding agreement to keep COD on PlayStation I don't believe (or at least I hope) that Sony won't be content with that.

I would hope that they've already begun workshopping ideas for a new core pvp FPS.

That said, Sony used to have a good gamut of pvp shooters, notably SOCOM, Killzone, Resistance, and Warhawk. If Sony was to revive one of these franchises which would you prefer and how would you like to see it?

Warhawk and SOCOM were third person, the former an arcade Battlefield-like and the latter a tactical round based shooter. I think that a game can be more than one thing now, I think you can have a core third person tactical shooter in the same game you have a respawn based arena shooter. Ironically Modern Warfare II has demonstrated you can be everything, if not a master of any of them, with the core game, the third person mode, and the Battlefield-like Ground War.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t really care for any of them. But I’d pick Killzone out of that list.

I think I’d rather see them make a new IP.

Jadsey

SOCOM.

I have a strong feeling CoD won’t be the juggernaut success it is now once it’s been under MS for a couple of years.

Time for Sony to invest the time and money. They have the actual talent and history for releasing the sort of great games which Phil doesn’t believe in.

They can have something to rival current CoD in a couple of years no problem.

Obviously KZ but honestly I would rather GG create a new FPS, focussing heavily on immersive gunplay/movement and exploration of a mixture of forested or jungle settings similar to Farcry but a much darker/scary atmosphere.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I've never played any of them but Resistance always looked the most interesting of them and it would be a no Brainerd to eventually port to PC.

Killzone SF had one of most beautiful maps I have ever seen.
really liked that multiplayer. game looked so clean. big difference coming from ps3 era

but Warhawk was something special. that Archipelago map, where you could see the whole map and enemy base from your own base.
you could see the chaos. even if it was just a port from the ps3 game, I would buy it day one.
so much fun with 32 players. it came with the headset and was really cheap.
going into enemy base and planting a proximity mine under their warhawk. you hide and wait for some guy to enter the plane and BOOM haha

Lupin25

Wouldn’t bring back any honestly. They need to make new IP with new ideas.

They have Bungie, as well.

- The FINALS
- Marathon

Are fps on console I’m most intrigued by currently.

Banjo64

cumsessed
all of these franchises are so trash. resistance was ‘fun’ but for like, a half an hour play session here and there. none of these will ever touch the top current day franchises. Sony just need to back Bungie, end of discussion.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It doesn't really matter. None of those IP really have any value. It just needs to be a great game that's built for todays audience, not 2009s.

Personal preference would be Warhawk I guess.

SOCOM, but would it be any good? Probably not. They’d probably turn it into some GaaS hero shooter with heavy emphasis on battle royale.

I think a Rainbow Six Siege type game would work amazing in the SOCOM universe. 4v4 or 5v5, tactical missions. No need for a single player at all, unless it’s a Boomer origin story.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Warhawk 2.0, fully FPS, 300 player lobbies, 3-man teams, huge maps, 15 different vehicles (land, water, air), objective based game modes.

Killzone SF had one of most beautiful maps I have ever seen.
really liked that multiplayer. game looked so clean. big difference coming from ps3 era

but Warhawk was something special. that Archipelago map, where you could see the whole map and enemy base from your own base.
you could see the chaos. even if it was just a port from the ps3 game, I would buy it day one.
so much fun with 32 players. it came with the headset and was really cheap.
going into enemy base and planting a proximity mine under their warhawk. you hide and wait for some guy to enter the plane and BOOM haha
Warhawk was so fucking good, and I didn't even fly the warhawks, I mainly ran with a tank. Zones was my favorite mode.

The Alien

Banned
I voted for Resistanece. Awesome series. Not sure itd happen tho as Sony has their best studio churning out Spiderman copy & paste jobs.

Guess we'll get to see how Sony can handle multiplayer development. Gonna be a tough task to start that up 'homegrown'.

Seems like the studios with that experience are recent acquisitions (Insomniac, Bungie) and not the 'homegrown' talent we hear about.

(I'm aware of Factions. But seeing as Bungie recently said that it's not a viable GaaS product, not thinking that's counting).

Last edited:
If I were in charge of Sony I would start trying to be more like Nintendo, which they should've been doing a long time ago. Cut the big budget cinematic games and focus on quirky gameplay-focused titles. They aren't going to make the next CoD or even the next Apex.

TexMex

Resistance is my favorite of the ones listed but I wouldn't really call it a PVP game, those were definitely campaign first. I think the MP died on the vine except for 2 which people played for a bit if I recall but wasn't very good at all.

LakeOf9

honestly I would like them all. they were all super different and they were all awesome. Warhawk is amazing, SOCOM is amazing, Killzone was great (at least 2), and Resistance is unlike anything else.

if you have to do live service games sony, bring these back!

If I were in charge of Sony I would start trying to be more like Nintendo, which they should've been doing a long time ago. Cut the big budget cinematic games and focus on quirky gameplay-focused titles. They aren't going to make the next CoD or even the next Apex.
But that’s not why people buy Sony consoles, so I don’t think that would work. You also can’t compete with Nintendo in that market, Mario, Zelda etc.

I don’t really understand your thought process in this here, Sony can’t create the next COD, so they should try to create the next Mario which is not only a juggernaut but cannot be replicated.

REDRZA MWS

SOCOM and its not even close. Socom 2 to this day was the best online shooter ive ever played. Every single night, countless hours, lobbies full of friends, it never got old. I die inside thinking of what a new gen TRUE Socom could be in a PS5.

Last edited:
Imagine if Sony actually made a game like the killzone 2 trailer, lmao.

Ill bet if they threw 200m at it like tlou they could pull it off

Unknown?

Warhawk was the most fun out of these and probably would do very well without the PS3 stigma bringing it down.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Socom all day long. Add fps with respawn, that shit will rival COD in the future. Don’t get rid of tps, but add the option and its game time. Run ranked no respawn tps like OG Socom, and add ranked fps WITH respawn, and it’s lights out for any other shooter outside of COD, and possibly even COD down the road. People who didn’t jive with Socom fail to realize how phenomenal the loop was. The maps were absolutely amazing. The placement of spawns and objectives were the best around. Dammit I just wish it would have been around and kicking 5 years later than it was. These young cats don’t really know about how special Socom was, and how special it could be in the present day.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
all of these franchises are so trash. resistance was ‘fun’ but for like, a half an hour play session here and there. none of these will ever touch the top current day franchises. Sony just need to back Bungie, end of discussion.
You just call the Socom franchise trash? Wtf 😳. I’m assuming you have to be like mid, to late 20s years old?

Top Bottom