• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you spend $300-plus to have a 14-inch TV professionally calibrated?

Shawn

Banned
Let me start off by saying that I am completely obsessed with image quality.

I've had my 14-inch flat screen Toshiba since late 2001. I paid $250 for it new. It now retails for $140 (newer model).

I use it only for my PS2 through component.

I've used the Avia disc to spend countless hours adjusting it so that it would look as perfect as possible. But it's not perfect -- and I want it PERFECT! :)

I know of a guy who would calibrate my TV -- he is considered to be the best video calibrationist in the country -- but it would cost me over $300.

I'm definitely getting an HDTV later next year, when PS3 comes out, and I no longer will be using the TV I'm currently using.

What do you guys think?

Tarazet

Shawn said:
Let me start off by saying that I am completely obsessed with image quality.

I've had my 14-inch flat screen Toshiba since late 2001. I paid $250 for it new. It now retails for $140 (newer model).

I use it only for my PS2 through component.

I've used the Avia disc to spend countless hours adjusting it so that it would look as perfect as possible. But it's not perfect -- and I want it PERFECT! :)

I know of a guy who would calibrate my TV -- he is considered to be the best video calibrationist in the country -- but it would cost me over $300.

I'm definitely getting an HDTV later next year, when PS3 comes out, and I no longer will be using the TV I'm currently using.

What do you guys think?

I think you're out of your mind if you're even considering paying that much.

Sanjuro

Your going to spend $300 to have a guy mess with your contrast/etc. settings?

For a PS2?

While your getting a HDTV later?

Sanjuro

WarLox said:
maybe you can "calibrate" something for him in exchange....
image.gif

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I can't believe you're obsessed by image quality but you play games on a 14" screen.

Also, you can buy a fairly serious calibrator for under $300 couldn't you? If you're really obsessed I don't know what this "expert" will do better for you.

tetsuoxb

Buy books and service manuals for your tv, and save the money. Avia and a service manual is much better than 300 bucks for anyone.

My TV is about 4000 USD and I still only use Avia and the expert menu on my TVs calibration menu to set things up.

Shawn

Banned
He doesn't just do contrast, etc. He does things like grayscale, color-decoding correction, and other stuff that I can't do. He'll be going into the Service Menu and will be using high-tech computerized equipment to do the adjustments.

EyezLow

Banned

For a PS2?

There's more to it than that (geometry adjustments etc.), but yeah, I agree.

He doesn't just do contrast, etc. He does things like grayscale, color-decoding correction, and other stuff that I can't do. He'll be going into the Service Menu and will be using high-tech computerized equipment to do the adjustments.

It's 14 inches tho... The improvements would be negligible on such a small screen.

Sanjuro

Shawn said:

I know, I'm just being sarcastic on the whole deal. Just get the HDTV.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Shawn said:

Nearly nothing in life is ever perfect.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Shawn said:

Shawn... it's a 14 inch TV... come on now... really... 14 inches.... as a rule of thumb you shouldn't pay more for service on an item than the item is actually worth.

Shawn

Banned
Hm... I have a feeling a couple days from now I'm gonna be thinking, "What the hell was I thinking...?!"

Thanks guys for talking some sense into me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Shawn: do it

most GAFFERS dont even play games anyway. it'll be worth the $300 to calibrate it

EyezLow

Banned
I'm thinking of having my new direct view calibrated. Is it a flat rate usually, or does the make/model/size etc. play a role?

jett

D-Member
:lol I wouldn't spend that much to calibrate ANYTHING. Hell, even if you had said $50 my answer would be the same. :p

DarienA

EyezLow said:
I'm thinking of having my new direct view calibrated. Is it a flat rate usually, or does the make/model/size etc. play a role?

What happened to all the hot black chick avatars? :(

Pop quiz for you guys: Why is it that manufacturers build such high-quality TVs, yet don't calibrate them properly? I mean... TVs should come out the door already calibrated... it shouldn't be something that the user has to do.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I'm been debating whether I should have such a service done on the 30" Widescreen HD set I just bought. Honestly, if you're really concerned about image quality, $300 isn't too absurd for an ISF-certified calibration. Hell, considering how much some of us play games, watch DVDs, whatever, it's sort of an investment in what your TV's really capable of. But hey, it isn't for all.

DarienA

AtomicShroom said:
Pop quiz for you guys: Why is it that manufacturers build such high-quality TVs, yet don't calibrate them properly? I mean... TVs should come out the door already calibrated... it shouldn't be something that the user has to do.

Hmmmm if I had to guess I'd say because the amt of time involved isn't worth it... continuing to guess I'd say that not every TV even if it comes off the same assembly line right after each other is going to calibrate exactly the same. And calibration turns in to additional assembly time which they would then want to turn in to additional price...

And in terms of calibrating doesn't view position, room size, lighting and other factors also come in to play?

and I don't think anyone here is downing calibration... I think we're downing calibration on a 14inch TV... that's the difference IMO.

Shawn

Banned
It's funny you say that, because I was thinking the exact thing last night.

Maybe in the future, it would be very easy for the consumer to get the ABSOLUTE BEST picture quality from their displays. Like maybe you could push a button and the image quality would be perfect. :)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
AtomicShroom said:

Because they wouldn't be able to produce them nearly as quickly and they'd be even more expensive. It takes damn near half a day to properly calibrate a set. Think of how much that would add to overhead costs.

Ponn

Banned
Ask yourself this, if you spent over 300 bucks to calibrate a 14 inch TV would you be willing to go and admit that too all your friends and family? And what do you think their reactions would be?

Top Bottom