• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still buy the next generation consoles on day 1 if they release at $499?

For me it really depends what they have at launch. I usually like getting consoles day 1. I like the excitement, having the flashy new thing, and the dollar-per-day of active lifespan usually works out cheapest if you buy in right at the beginning. But the first year of PS4 was an absolute wasteland. PS3 wasn't much better. If they don't have a legit launch lineup I might rather just keep playing Switch & PS4 backlog for a year or so than have a potentially faulty wave 1 box collecting dust under the TV.

anthraticus

Banned
anthraticus said:

Between older consoles & PC, I have waaay more than enough on my plate.

There's still so much that I own and have been wanting to play.... now I'm gonna go spend top dollar for new hardware/software.....doesn't make any sense.
I’m probably just more of a hard core gamer than you. I need to play/see the latest and greatest!!
Yea, guess I'll just be missing out on all those super hardcore AAA console games. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

TheContact

When the 360 and the PS3 came out, I bought both of them day 1. I wouldn't ever do that again. 1) because I can't afford it anymore and 2) because I rarely sit down and play console games. I would get the PS5 if it's BC though

Last edited:

Dark Star

If people are willing to buy a new iPhone for over a 1000 dollars, then I don't see anything wrong with a gaming console costing as much. It's an investment on time, really. If you think you'll use it every single day, then it's a No-Brainer purchase. Especially if the next-gen lineup of exclusive games is truly revolutionary.

Last edited:
If people are willing to buy a new iPhone for over a 1000 dollars, then I don't see anything wrong with a gaming console costing as much. It's an investment on time, really. If you think you'll use it every single day, then it's a No-Brainer purchase. Especially if the next-gen lineup of exclusive games is truly revolutionary.

This is like saying because you spend $4000 on a TV you see nothing wrong with paying $7000 for a smart refrigerator. Crazy people.

Dark Star

This is like saying because you spend $4000 on a TV you see nothing wrong with paying $7000 for a smart refrigerator. Crazy people.

Eh. Not really. TV is entertainment, just like a gaming console or a smartphone or a laptop. A 7K fridge might be able to play Netflix on it's smart-screen built in applications, but even "crazy people" aren't shelling out that kind of cash for that function lol. Funny comparison, but I see your point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom