• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW 1.7.0 available now

Gattsu25

Banned
are they still using BT for updates?

whooo...if I ever get this game I fully expect these downloads to actually beat out the PlayOnline updates as the longest fucking game updates I've ever had to sit through (my interweb hates BT with a passion, it seems)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Wakune said:

whooo...if I ever get this game I fully expect these downloads to actually beat out the PlayOnline updates as the longest fucking game updates I've ever had to sit through (my interweb hates BT with a passion, it seems)

I don't think it's BT persay, but a similar Peer to Peer technology.

BT works great on my box. The WoW patch util friggin blows. I just go to Filerush.com to get the patch when they have a torrent for it.

Blizzards patching mechanism is fucking crap and needs to be revamped.

Gattsu25

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
I don't think it's BT persay, but a similar Peer to Peer technology.

BT works great on my box. The WoW patch util friggin blows. I just go to Filerush.com to get the patch when they have a torrent for it.
I haven't touched WoW since the beta ended but they were using 100% BT back then...to the point where the Blizzard Downloader and Bittornado where able to continue eachother's progress from the night before

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Wakune said:
I haven't touched WoW since the beta ended but they were using 100% BT back then...to the point where the Blizzard Downloader and Bittornado where able to continue eachother's progress from the night before

That's interesting, because when I use my BitComet and download the patch using a torrent from Filerush, it comes down extremely fast. If I use the WoW patcher, it takes way too long.

Will it update automatically the next time I start WoW or what? This is the first patch I've had come out since I purchased the game.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Will it update automatically the next time I start WoW or what? This is the first patch I've had come out since I purchased the game.

WoW will basically force it on you. No need to worry.

Leatherface

"Need Before Greed and Group Loot options have been improved. The rolling window that appears when an item of the threshold and above is looted now has three buttons: a Need button (the dice), a Greed button (the coin), and a close button. Any players who select Need will get a chance to roll first for the item, with the high roller winning. If no one selects Need, all characters who selected Greed will then roll, with the highest roll winning the item. If everyone closes the window, the item becomes lootable by anyone in the group."

Cool!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
What I want to know is, if I just put a bunch of stuff up for auction, is it expiring currently while no one is playing and their servers are shut down?

Joe

FYI download the patch off of filefront.com for free and no registration. will only take a couple mins to DL on broadband.

Danj

Wakune said:

Yes, but their BT implementation sucks. There's a program you can get called WoWTorrentEx which will allow you to extract the .torrent file from the updater .exe and then you can use a standard torrent client such as BitComet to download it, which usually has much better results than the Blizzard client.

Tritroid

Rockman said:
Do you happen to know what those updates are?
It's nothing much. A couple nerfs here and there. I think one of them involved the number of times Frost Shock actually procs now.

Leatherface said:
"Need Before Greed and Group Loot options have been improved. The rolling window that appears when an item of the threshold and above is looted now has three buttons: a Need button (the dice), a Greed button (the coin), and a close button. Any players who select Need will get a chance to roll first for the item, with the high roller winning. If no one selects Need, all characters who selected Greed will then roll, with the highest roll winning the item. If everyone closes the window, the item becomes lootable by anyone in the group."

Cool!

this would really work if they forced people who couldnt use the item with their class to have to select greed

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
this would really work if they forced people who couldnt use the item with their class to have to select greed

Yeah, but they may have an alt character who could use it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Tritroid said:
Oh God nothing pisses me off more than that excuse. :lol

I've never used that myself since I only just created my first alt recently, but I can see people being both honest and dishonest about it.

Fularu

Banned
Tritroid said:
Oh God nothing pisses me off more than that excuse. :lol

It's valid with greens, I don'T accept it with blues and purples (we're talking about boe anyway).

In my groups, if you say you need, you HAVE to equip on the spot

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ZombieSupaStar said:
two problems as I see it. first, people who can't use an item can still select need. second, "everyone items" like cloth could still be selected as need by everyone even if it did limit by use.

there is only one answer, one blizzard refuses to implement. make a checkbox graph type setup where the leader is able to go down the list and filter stuff. filter out cloth for non-casters. filter plate for non-warriors/pallys, etc. of course all of this only applys to pickup groups, so if you only guild group or raid none of it matters.

and people who roll for alts. fuck you. if you want equipment for your alt play with him. don't farm.

Fularu said:
It's valid with greens, I don'T accept it with blues and purples (we're talking about boe anyway).

In my groups, if you say you need, you HAVE to equip on the spot

In my PUGs, same shit, or no heals for you.

So yeah, ZUL GURUB ZUL GURUB ZUL GURUB ZUL GURUB ZUL GURUB ZUL GURUB! :D

Zaptruder

Banned
borghe said:
two problems as I see it. first, people who can't use an item can still select need. second, "everyone items" like cloth could still be selected as need by everyone even if it did limit by use.

there is only one answer, one blizzard refuses to implement. make a checkbox graph type setup where the leader is able to go down the list and filter stuff. filter out cloth for non-casters. filter plate for non-warriors/pallys, etc. of course all of this only applys to pickup groups, so if you only guild group or raid none of it matters.

and people who roll for alts. fuck you. if you want equipment for your alt play with him. don't farm.

A less extreme version might be... Master Looter - Need before Greed hybrid system.

Where players see the items pop up and are able to roll on them, but ultimately its upto the master looter to decide who it goes to.

In otherwords, it just cuts out the use of /random 100 all the time.

Tritroid

I don't even put up with that excuse with greens. Especially if you've got a level 60 running through an instance like Deadmines and calls Need on a green that drops because he 'has an alt' and steals it from all the other level 20s there with him.

Sorry that doesn't fly with me.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Tritroid said:
I don't even put up with that excuse with greens. Especially if you've got a level 60 running through an instance like Deadmines and calls Need on a green that drops because he 'has an alt' and steals it from all the other level 20s there with him.

Sorry that doesn't fly with me.

Oh, if thats the case, the level 60 is just getting greedy. They should have the funds to buy that low level shit at the AH.

The Unstoppable Force now has a short duration stun instead of a knockback effect, and the stun will occur less frequently.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to punt gnomes with this thing...it was good while it lasted.

Tritroid

Yeah the new RP PVP server will be up.

Usually I stay clear of RP servers though. There's some wierd shit that takes place on them.

Such as Tram sex.

Tortfeasor

Tritroid said:
Yeah the new RP PVP server will be up.

Usually I stay clear of RP servers though. There's some wierd shit that takes place on them.

Such as Tram sex.

If I get the excitement of PVP without all of the "leet" speak, it will be worth it.

Tritroid

Ramirez said:
The Unstoppable Force is such a lame fucking weapon,I swear it proc'd every time someone hit me with it.
Ditto. And it's just annoying that it can cancel heal casts.

Fularu

Banned
Tritroid said:
Truth be told I have never ONCE used hearth + Divine Shield.

I swear.

Yeah right! I can't say for you but oh hod how often it happens... I HOPE they make it impossible for you to save your sorry ass by hearthing while shielded...

I have it withkilling you anyway, charge, harmstring, bloodrage, mortal strike, warrior stomp then just finnish you off!

god I hate pallies :p

/Tauren warrior rant off

Top Bottom