• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW! EA Buys 20% of UbiSoft

The Abominable Snowman said:
At this point, I'm sure one of the console makers will make EA an offer for alliance. It might be Sony and EA vs Microsoft and Nintendo. Who knows.

why is it that some of you guys seem to think that the videogame industry works like a WWF storyline?

monkeyrun

Ninja Scooter said:
why is it that some of you guys seem to think that the videogame industry works like a WWF storyline?
lol ... u mean in real world people don't run around half naked and beat each other up ?

"Seriously, do you enjoy talking out of your ass?"

I'm not sure who you are and why you felt the need to reply like that. But take a break from posting and step back from the keyboard. Breathe a little bit. Realize that there is a life outside of this forum and come back and post more when you pull your head out of your own ass. Thanks man.

I feel the game was held back by multiplatform development by a developer who wasn't very knowledgable of anything outside of PC development tools. Can you honestly say that you know differently? I mean if you have some inside info on the developer that's fine, but my opinion on the matter would seem to coorespond with what we saw. An Xbox version up and running very quickly, a GameCube version that was only shown in screenshots, and a PS2 version that was a dog.

Could you be right. You sure could man. And I'd honestly tip my hat off too you. I'm not going to be 10 and reply to you like you did me there.

I find it fascinating that one can get riled up by someones opinon on this board and then offer another opinon that is just that. Get a grip.

"Vivendi publishes a high number of high profile high selling PC games and own Blizzard. How the hell do they get into financial trouble? Must be other divisions within Vivendi bringing them down."

You can look at Vivendi's current catalog and see a lot of dogs there.

Warm Machine said:
Eurocom is probably next. Though Nintendo would be wise to pick them up.

I don't think that EA could buy Nintendo. Nintendo has to much pride to let that happen. (And they are a Japanese company they would not let a US company buy stock in them.)
I think Hell would freeze over before that happen.

jedimike

Warm Machine said:
Make your case, and it better be good. Also, next time you post a link, post one without a virus attached. You should probably be banned for that.

For one... that isn't a virus.

For two... last time I checked, 75% and better is hardly crap.

James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing
Publisher: EA Games
Number of P/Reviews: 174 PlayStation 2 85.4%

Number of P/Reviews: 160 GameCube 85.5%

Number of P/Reviews: 181 Xbox 83.7%

James Bond 007: NightFire
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Number of P/Reviews: 84 GameCube 80.5%

James Bond 007: NightFire
Number of P/Reviews: 106 Xbox 80.1%

James Bond 007 in Agent Under Fire
Number of P/Reviews: 99 PlayStation 2 75.9%

Freedom Fighters
Number of P/Reviews: 133 PlayStation 2 83.6%

Freedom Fighters
Number of P/Reviews: 125 Xbox 81.6%

Freedom Fighters
Number of P/Reviews: 78 GameCube 83.7%

Come on. Reviews are a weak way to judge a game anyway. Especially EA game reviews.

The World is not Enough took Goldeneye's clever auto targeting to its next idiot evolution by making the cursor SNAP to enemies over an inch away from the reticule. Fuck skillful play and aiming, lets just have the player point somewhere near the enemies and pull the trigger and they will hit everytime. Thats fine when shooting is PART of the game but not when it is the core experience.

Nightfire has the wonderful action where you drop a clip into a guy and most times he doesn't even play a hit animation. If you are lucky enough to see a hit animation it is totally canned and not at all like Rare's Goldeneye case sensitive hitting system.
Lets not forget the totally lame racing sections that make Chase HQ look modern.

Everything or Nothing starts with a total bullshit level where, if you want, you can stand in the middle of the environment getting nailed by about 1000 bullets and STILL NOT DROP. On top of that it has that fucked up control where you have to aim within the aiming reticule (while holding two buttons down). Then we get to the actual in game action where suddenly 1 bullet does 100x the damage than in the first level. Then there is the falling debris which is random, impossible to avoid because there isn't any indication of where it is going to land. The Repelling consists of a fucked camera, forced animations, and general piss poor implementation.

If you are lucky enough to actually get to the driving sequence you are forced into a nice long race where enemies give you forced hits and there is sweet fuck all you can do about it. The player just has to navigate to the end of the track where the train is, and hope he is lucky enough to get there with over 25% health because the train throws more forced hits at you.

Look past the bullshit and you'll actually see how lame those games are. Every damn EA Bond game that comes out always gets the big reviews and then 2 months later the reviewers STILL maintain that N64 GE is better than any of them. Face it, EA hasn't made a Bond game as good as 1997s GE. They've had 7 years and 5 chances to get it right and keep devolving the series. None of EAs Bond games have brought something new to the table, and considering how lush and idea laden the movie franchise is what EA has delivered is terrible.

At least Freedom Fighters has evolved the action genre. Its squad command mechanic was brilliant and completely effective. AI would go and do exactly what they were told to. It actually felt satisfying to shoot the enemies who reacted to where you hit them. The rag doll animation system, while too light for the gravity was really fun to watch especially when enemies concregated around something explosive. The environment staging was excellent where by wiping out one part of the map effects the enemy performance on other parts of the map. Sound and music were stellar as well.

Give credit to where credit is due.

sonic4ever said:
I don't think that EA could buy Nintendo. Nintendo has to much pride to let that happen. (And they are a Japanese company they would not let a US company buy stock in them.)
I think Hell would freeze over before that happen.

Re-read what I wrote. I was saying Nintendo should pick up Eurocom, not EA should buy Nintendo. Eurocom does a lot of EA's port work as well as port work for many other companies. Nintendo should go after them because, with Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, they proved they could emulate the Zelda and Nintendo style quite well.

Deepthroat said:
EA are the new Necromongers.

CONVERT NOW OR FALL FOREVER!

lordmarshall.JPG

HILARIOUS!!! I was thinking the EXACT same thing!!! You keep what you kill............

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
john tv:
Sega Namco (or Namco Sega, or whatever) woulda ruled. Damn shame they got stuck with Sammy instead.
Combining SEGA and Namco, two companies in the exact same business and with very similar product too, would've basically resulted in two companies just glued together. The result would've been a balance sheet that got both companys' games but also had both companys' development and production expenses to balance it out.

SEGA and Sammy, while in the same business of amusement machines, are in complementary sectors of it. This allows them the synergistic benefit of running two operations, pachinko and arcade, that each use a similar infrastructure and resource set: R&D for amusement machines, distribution and maintenance of amusement machines, and management of amusement centers.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Warm Machine said:
<bullshit snipped>

What a text book case of attempting to trivialize something another poster says just to make your point.

Pathetic.

pilonv1

Ubi Soft founders, the Guillemot brothers, own 17.5 percent of its capital and 22.8 percent of its voting rights, while EA now controls 18.4 percent of the voting rights.

EA has declined to comment on the financial terms of the deal with Talpa, but industry sources said the investment was in the range of $85 million to $100 million.

With a market capitalization of $18 billion, sales of $2.9 billion and cash of $2.5 billion, EA can easily afford Ubi Soft, which has a market value of about 375 million euros ($500 million), analysts said.

Few expect EA to stop at a 20 percent stake.

"While EA's intentions are still unknown, we assume the company's goal is ultimately to acquire Ubi Soft, which we would view as a positive for EA," Harris Nesbitt analysts said in a research note.

GAMERS AM CRYING.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I remember everyone was afraid of Microsoft coming in and buying everyone up, but it turns out MS aren't the ones doing the buying up!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
-SRV- said:
didn't Yamauchi say this buyout stuff was coming and it would have a bad impact on gaming?

That wasn't exactly some far fetched premonition to come up with... as each succeeding generation comes it gets more expensive to create games... therefore you want to diversify your portfolio, and seek to reuse tools when you can... as well the increase will kill off some company's who simply can't keep up(good or bad).

jarrod

Banned
Lazy8s said:
john tv:

Combining SEGA and Namco, two companies in the exact same business and with very similar product too, would've basically resulted in two companies just glued together. The result would've been a balance sheet that got both companys' games but also had both companys' development and production expenses to balance it out.

SEGA and Sammy, while in the same business of amusement machines, are in complementary sectors of it. This allows them the synergistic benefit of running two operations, pachinko and arcade, that each use a similar infrastructure and resource set: R&D for amusement machines, distribution and maintenance of amusement machines, and management of amusement centers.
I agree actually, Sammy seems like a more complimentary fit (if less exciting). They also have the strong finances to pull Sega around... I'm not sure Namco could've shouldered Sega's massive debt. A merger there might've brought both companies down.

I'm still all for Namco-Capcom though. It'd be perfect.

Ninja Scooter said:

I've been wondering the same thing myself, it's hilarious what these people think. I simply couldn't put it in words, thank you for doing so.

Lazy8s when two similar companies combine you can cut down on a lot of overhead.

And sometimes creativity can help when in larger groups. At least I like to think so.

The only problem would be their own games competiting with each other.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
SEGA's greater diversity from Sammy's operations provides each party with what they need to grow. Sammy have been making more money than they can spend in pachinko/pachislot but have been unable to really expand into the videogame market without the help of an established player, and SEGA have unexploited potential from an infrastructure built during their days as a platform manufacturer but lack the funding on their own to fully execute. Both want to grow into a strong force in the videogaming market, and each have the means that the other needs to do it. This kind of relationship leads SEGA and Sammy to do what they respectively do best in order to realize their combined vision.

Top Bottom