• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow, it looks like SCEA is sending out PSP game demos in the mail!

Mrbob

Sweet! :D

http://boards.ign.com/psp_general_board/b7159/108623701/p1/?28

Some people have been receiving the Pursuit Force game demo in the mail. Anyone else get this yet? I hope this is the beginning of a future trend. Need 2.5 firmware to run this.

Pic for truth:

pursuitforce.jpg

I want, SCEA!

Ponn

Banned
Dude, I just got that in the mail today. I haven't had a chance to try it yet though but I will give some impressions when I do.

Sony decided weeks ago that this would be a terrific way to make people upgrade past the then-hacked 2.0. They ship out demos, confident that this would get people to upgrade and forget that homebrew and fast loading nonsense.

Then, the day before it reaches the target's doorstep, 2.5 is hacked...

Ponn

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
What do you have to do to get demos? Register your psp with sony?

I would say pretty much yea. That's how I get all my other demos, be it PS2, Playstation Underground or PSP demo and beta.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is this the first instance of a demo for a handheld ever?

Pimpbaa

Ponn01 said:
I would say pretty much yea. That's how I get all my other demos, be it PS2, Playstation Underground or PSP demo and beta.

I don't think I registered my ps2 or ps1. But I did register my PSP. Hopefully Sony is doing the same thing in Canada with demos.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Snaku said:
This is some sneaky scheme to upgrade firmware. :lol

Yeah no kidding. Damn you Sony *shakes fist*

This is good news though. We've never really had game demos for handhelds that we could take home besides Metroid Prime Hunters demo

Also, they have a Syphon Filter demo in game stores like Gamestop and EB

M3wThr33

Banned
Suikoguy said:
M&M's Factory had a demo GBC rom you could download off of their website, but Nintendo had them remove it.
(Ignoring PDA games, of course, like for the Zodiac)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sud said:
The DS originally came with Metroid Hunters demo.

I guess you could consider that a demo.
But it's not something distributed for free.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Did I forget to tell you guys this? Shit... sorry.... I got clued in about this a bit back while talking about an upcoming game.... and then completely forget about it(that UMD demos exist)... ugh.... old age really is catching up to me...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Andy787 said:
Awesome. I hope I get one, need to check the mail.

Damn, is it free?

You have to preorder it I think (I still hate this setup. Preorder a game to get a demo...shouldn't it be given out for free regardless?)

Agent X

Suikoguy said:

No, but this might be:

Blu_Lightning_Cart.jpg

This was originally a demo cartridge for dealers to place in their Lynx displays in the store. It has a copyright date of 1990. In 1996, when Atari was clearing out a bunch of old stock shortly before the JTS merger was finalized, they briefly offered some surplus Blue Lightning demos for sale to the public.

Suikoguy

Wario64 said:
You have to preorder it I think (I still hate this setup. Preorder a game to get a demo...shouldn't it be given out for free regardless?)

The majority of the store demos are just free or with purchase, but the pressure on the stores from corporate has them make you preorder.

and :lol I figured someone here would find an instance of a demo that old :D

WiFi internet connection: check
MemoryStick with 1GB capacity: check
Site that provides downloadable content: check
Demo's being offered online for download: .........

Beowvlf

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
WiFi internet connection: check
MemoryStick with 1GB capacity: check
Site that provides downloadable content: check
Demo's being offered online for download: .........
Our best hope is Sony's Connect relaunch in March. They could possibly offer an amazingly awesome service... or royally waste a great opportunity. We shall see.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Wario64 said:
Nintendo mailed out DS demos?
You can get them at download stations, e3 or from the internet.

I guess you could consider that a demo.
But it's not something distributed for free.
DS retailed for the same price without it. Did I pay for the demo disc that came with my playstation as well?

Bowen_B said:

Nope. There was a Stars Catalogue promotion where you could get your hands on a DS before launch. It came with Mario 64, the Metroid Hunters demo and a Wario Ware Touched demo.

I should point out, people are just saying that demos have been done before. That doesn't take anything away from this -- its a great promotion. Free Pursuit Force and Free Spiderman 2 UMDs... thats beyond anything other companies have done imo. Very nice indeed.

Flynn

Ponn01 said:
Dude, I just got that in the mail today. I haven't had a chance to try it yet though but I will give some impressions when I do.

I believe there's an embargo on Pursuit Force, that is if you got the demo as a member of the press.

Forsete said:
Downloadable demos are coming for the PSP. :)

That's good to hear. I remember some developer mentioning they wanted to do it for their game but Sony didn't want it to happen because of hackers.

Mrbob

Forsete said:

Totally sweet.

This also means downloadable demos will be coming to the PS3 as well.

Awesome.

Downloadable demos ftw!

Ponn

Banned
Flynn said:
I believe there's an embargo on Pursuit Force, that is if you got the demo as a member of the press.

Not in the press, so no Sony Black Helicopters for me. Unfortunately my friend is borrowing my PSP right now and won't be back till tonight. It sure does look purty though.

Would be awesome :)

But I've become somewhat apprehensive when it comes to possibilities of the hardware vs how Sony wants us to use the hardware.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Forsete said:

No disrepect, but is this person to just come on the GAF and say this and everybody believes him?

What do you do to know this?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Sho Nuff said:
Is Pursuit Force no longer impossibly hard?

I'd also like to know...mind you ive struggled through most of it now, its just the boss battles i cant do.

Matix

mckmas8808 said:
No disrepect, but is this person to just come on the GAF and say this and everybody believes him?

What do you do to know this?

PSP SONY CONNECT: Official Info:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141863.html

"Soon, Sony will be rewriting the rules once again," the company said in a statement. "The Connect service will enable you to *download* hundreds of videos, *games*, and TV shows as well as films and other content. You'll even be able to browse from a wide selection of books."

ascully

Its not out in March here in the US

I got the demo last night in the mail the game is really good I was surprised

Mrbob

Robertsan did you miss the SCEA in the title? ;) Game isn't out till March in NA. An improved Pursuit Force that is! :D

Sho Nuff said:
Is Pursuit Force no longer impossibly hard?

Yeah, from what I've read the game has been tweaked considerably for NA release.

Did anyone else get a fullback PlayStation cap from Sony after becoming a Underground member? I thought it was a nice gesture.

The hat is actually quite high quality with the PS logo nice and small off to the bottom right corner on the face of the hat. Nice.

Fusebox

Banned
The original looked beautiful, had a great gameplay concept but the times they set for the checkpoints were just stupidly hard.

I'm looking forward to trying the re-release, I hope they sorted out all the badness.

Suikoguy

Is it just Pursuit Force?

I wonder why they did not include other stuff (even videos) since they probably have room and costs would not have increased that much (to my knowledge)

Suikoguy said:
Is it just Pursuit Force?

I wonder why they did not include other stuff (even videos) since they probably have room and costs would not have increased that much (to my knowledge)

SOP. SONY literally buried me with demo discs right before Christmas - all single game discs.

Top Bottom