• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow Lair frame rate is all over the place

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
sebthelobster said:
oh god no, both games will go on to sell tons.

we are dealing with people who spent 600 dollars for a poorly launched console, they cannot possibly bend over is a more comprimising position.

look at the lair thread and look at how many people stating it publicly that they will buy the game just for the fact of it being a ps3 exclusive, you know this game will sell on mindless, brainless, bending-over-for-sony-and-telling-myself-that-i-like-it fanboyism alone.

dont you worry about sales now, thats nintendo fan's job

Didn't you get banned 15 posts into your GAF career for trolling PS3 sales. A single page after another person got banned for the same thing?

And now you're at it again?

You're not even going to wait until you're less conspicuous with a normal 'member' tag?

methane47

pswii60 said:
I think that's a bit unfair on Speevy. Xbot or not, he was praising Heavenly Sword to the max yesterday.

No not because he likes Xbox... its because he to me is the only guy who has genuinely hated everything about LAIR for the longest period of time... He is to Lair what I felt about Red Steel... So I figure all the crap surrounding the game thus far should make him the Happiest man in the world ... or close

VonGak!

Banned
Sounds almost like the game suffers from bad level/mission design utterly failing to tell the player what to do next (bring in Jaffe for the resque).

The only thing missing is a door placed where it can't be seen due to the camera.

*praises him self lucky for not having been on-line in time to flaming EGM's review* :D

haunts

Bacon of Hope
OK yes, it has some nice visuals, I liked the trailers, it looked like it may be somewhat fun at first. But after watching a couple more trailers here and there, it was really just the same thing over and over again. To me, it never looked like there was much depth to the game to begin with. I mean I played other games by these guys so I sort of knew what to expect. Games like these that are pretty one dimensional really need online co-op/vs mode at this point for it to really have any replay value. So you fly around, set some shit on fire, eat up some other dudes on dragons...then the games over.

At the end of the day Ill form my own opinion after playing it, but the impressions and reviews it has been getting doesn't exactly surprise me. I am a proud PS3 owner but I'm not (completely) delusional about the games at this point.

pswii60

methane47 said:
No not because he likes Xbox... its because he to me is the only guy who has genuinely hated everything about LAIR for the longest period of time... He is to Lair what I felt about Red Steel... So I figure all the crap surrounding the game thus far should make him the Happiest man in the world ... or close

Well I hated Lair right up until the point of those off-screen videos on GT back in April. At which point hype meter exploded. The tech looked amazing and I think I got drawn in to that rather than the game.

Maybe I should have kept it under control..

Chemo

DenogginizerOS said:
Agreed.

Thanks TTP. You just saved me $60 and guaranteed this will be rental only.
Agreed x2... although I think I'm going to skip the rental now, too. So I can't tell if TTP saved me $60 or $5, but either way, I'm holding onto some cash!

pswii60 said:
it really pissed me off in Rainbow Six Vegas when I f***ed up a mission and had to backtrack all the time.

And don't get me started on Ninja Gaiden.
Like Gesus to the cross...
you nailed it! :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
pswii60 said:
Despite the patchy framerate, is it the 'best looking game ever'? Or at least technically?

Not really. Ok, here is the thing. Bad frame rate destroys any beauty to my eyes. It's like Monica Bellucci with her head turned 180° on the other side. Having said that, I'd say Lair is a hit and miss graphics wise. Great dragon (yours), kinda low poly enemy dragons. Mauntain environments look as interesting as those of a Flight Simulator: u get closer, you see bad things happening. The HDR is terribly overdone and kills detail (hides the lack of it?). Human build structures, on the other side, are great. The Bridge is awesome. The city, the temple, the towers. You can count the bricks on them one by one. The sea is cool, but those waves, while cool, are totally unrealistic. Esplosions are old gen stuff. Nothing to be really proud of. The sea monster wet "carapace"? INCREDIBLE. Low color palette really KILLS avery technical accomplishment here. Yeah, those Mantas are HUGE, but get closer and it's like you HDTV isnt displaying 1/10000th of the colors he could and you see plenty of edges on those models as well.

Overall, I'd say Warhawk still impresses me the most albeit I can see it does less technically. What am I saying. Warhawk destroys Lair in every department. Even the sea looks better in Warhawk. Kinda whish they didnt kill the single player mode.

Speevy

Banned
I'm not happy that Lair sucks. I just thought it was ugly, and suspected (based on the dev's track record) that it would suck.

methane47

This game has always been and will remain be.. a Gamefly rental for me...

I still can't wait to play it.. because I dont really care about Framerate (I played Oblivion at 5 fps on my Geforce 5500 for a week before downgrading the game so I could play it at 20 fps.

CellUnlock.jpg

I love it every time I get to use this image.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
So the use of the SIXAXIS is at least well implemented then? I'm glad to hear that. Thats really the main reason I wanted to play this. Anytime reviewers complain about controls I usually take it with a grain of salt and wait to see for myself.

sprocket

Banned
poor lair. :( getting so much bad hype.. It will probably be a fun game too but now its doomed to have bad hypeitous like super mario sunshine... Which was better than any other platformer at the time but got bad reviews anyway for not being the superior mario game.

Oh well.

And why would warhawk looking better be a bad thing? warhawk looks great! :/

Greg

Chemo said:
Agreed x2... although I think I'm going to skip the rental now, too. So I can't tell if TTP saved me $60 or $5, but either way, I'm holding onto some cash!
I'm a crazy person when it comes to saving cash, almost to the point where it would seem I'm fearing that our economy could spiral into a depression at any moment - however, you sir, are ridiculous.

I know I'm not buying it, along with pretty much every big title that's coming this year, but every game deserves a rental.

KTallguy

Banned
KTallguy am cry ;(
I was really looking forward to playing this.

Are you messing around with any of the close combat options? Are they clunky?

The thing that interested me the most was really the physical combat, and comboing from dragon to dragon.

Speevy said:
That was a joke.

:lol uh huh

Madman

TTP said:
Not really. Ok, here is the thing. Bad frame rate destroys any beauty to my eyes. It's like Monica Bellucci with her head turned 180° on the other side. Having said that, I'd say Lair is a hit and miss graphics wise. Great dragon (yours), kinda low poly enemy dragons. Mauntain environments look as interesting as those of a Flight Simulator: u get closer, you see bad things happening. The HDR is terribly overdone and kills detail (hides the lack of it?). Human build structures, on the other side, are great. The Bridge is awesome. The city, the temple, the towers. You can count the bricks on them one by one. The sea is cool, but those waves, while cool, are totally unrealistic. Esplosions are old gen stuff. Nothing to be really proud of. The sea monster wet "carapace"? INCREDIBLE. Low color palette really KILLS avery technical accomplishment here. Yeah, those Mantas are HUGE, but get closer and it's like you HDTV isnt displaying 1/10000th of the colors he could and you see plenty of edges on those models as well.

Overall, I'd say Warhawk still impresses me the most albeit I can see it does less technically. What am I saying. Warhawk destroys Lair in every department. Even the sea looks better in Warhawk. Kinda whish they didnt kill the single player mode.
Just what this thread needed. Some nice comparisons that don't even really work.

Chemo

Greg said:
...but every game deserves a rental.
Joke post? I don't have time for that shit. If a game starts sounding ehh to me then I am completely out.

Of course, when I'm sitting here at work with nothing better to do than read threads, I will more than gladly read a thread about a game I've lost interest in. :)

Lince

Banned
after watching dozens of gameplay videos I was under the impression that Lair's main focus was on the impressive engine and not specially the gameplay, now it seems F5 has managed to fail in both regards... yeah, I hereby propose that Resistance: FoM team @ Insomniac takes over Lair project and do PS3 hardware justice.

SpokkX

oh crap.. nasty framerate in (possibly) final version?

this just might make me skip this game.. bad reviews I can live with but framerate problems in a flying action shooter kind of spoils the fun for me

Greg

Chemo said:
Joke post? I don't have time for that shit. If a game starts sounding ehh to me then I am completely out.

Of course, when I'm sitting here at work with nothing better to do than read threads, I will more than gladly read a thread about a game I've lost interest in. :)
If you only play the AAA titles, you only play a few games a year.

I absolutely have to rent any game that has been hyped or anticipated - regardless of the final product being amazing or terrible, 5 bucks isn't much to see what it's all about.

Madman

AstroLad said:
Warhawk pre-order canceled.
I know (hope) you are joking, but that's why I don't want to start. Pointing out flaws in a game just ruins the experience.

I'm glad I never read TTP's impressions of SotC. I would imagine they would have read quite poorly, given it's poor framerate and rather bland color scheme. It would probably followed by some Okami comparisons to boot.

KTallguy

Banned
Dave1988 said:
Don't think! Just wait!

Waiting sucks.

Madman said:
I'm glad I never read TTP's impressions of SotC. I would imagine they would have read quite poorly, given it's poor framerate and rather bland color scheme. It would probably followed by some Okami comparisons to boot.

Don't be a moron. He's giving us honest impressions. All we can ask for is that.

Top Bottom