• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wow MGS 3 Online died fast

well finally got my PS2 online (I had purchased the network adapter just to play MGS3 online) and to my surprise there were only about 600 people playing it in one sever page and the rest were either dead or almost empty.

Played a few games and honestly controlling the character and the camera at the same type in this type of game is a horrible idea :(

One cool thing about the game is the flame thrower :D It looks so cute and funny at the same time! Anyway for MGS4 I hope they do a FPS multiplayer mode cause controlling the character and camera sucks.

Any gaffers still playing it?

Doom_Bringer said:
well finally got my PS2 online (I had purchased the network adapter just to play MGS3 online) and to my surprise there were only about 600 people playing it in one sever page and the rest were either dead or almost empty.

Played a few games and honestly controlling the character and the camera at the same type in this type of game is a horrible idea :(

One cool thing about the game is the flame thrower :D It looks so cute and funny at the same time! Anyway for MGS4 I hope they do a FPS multiplayer mode cause controlling the character and camera sucks.

Any gaffers still playing it?

Actually, 600 is a pretty good number. Again, MGO has awesome ideas, but it's a bug ridden POS that pales in comparison to its single-player campaign.

Tiktaalik

Even when it debuted it wasn't too popular. 900 in one server, ~600 in the other and then a handful in the others. I liked it but I was absolutely terrible.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah, we were looking at 1200 or so players at its height... don't worry, it's still about the same experience. Your worst worry should be that everyone is too damn good....

Grayman

yeah I can't play anymore because I'm not able to snap headshot.

I'd play with you but my ps2 had to get moved away from the cables for awhile.

600 at one time players is pretty popular imo.

BocoDragon said:
Your worst worry should be that everyone is too damn good....

yeah I just kept dying over and over... I played a couple of games for about an hour and barely got 5 kills :(

And on some desert map I was playing against a 5 man clan and the game didn't even balance the teams! totally lame

Forceatowulf said:
Because it ****ing sucked.

I agree!

this is seriously one of the worst online games i have ever played! they should have kept it internal and copied bf1942 or something for MGS4.

and speaking of mgs4, they will have to work very hard to come up with a new camera system for the game. free camera doesn't work with the dual shock 2

ShowDog

Maybe they could put camera control on the tilt? I'm sure someone has said this before but I just thought of it.

Wario64 said:
The entire control scheme needs to be revamped. FPS style or SOCOM-like controls.

yea and they need to lock the camera! its difficult to constantly adjust it while playing it. Is the new Socom PS2 game good or what? I want to try another ps2 online game

Grayman

I didn't have problems adjusting the camera(speed 10). I am also one of those freaks that enjoys the DS2 controller.

Amir0x

Banned
Grayman said:
I didn't have problems adjusting the camera(speed 10). I am also one of those freaks that enjoys the DS2 controller.

That's not a freak, that's normal. People try to pretend the controller is awkward, but it's one of the most widely accepted designs for a reason... it's generic, in many ways, and it's not perfect but it sure as hell ain't a bad controller.

But Metal Gear Online just has problems that definitely can be fixed. I enjoyed it, but... it shows that it's a test. It's functional and fun for a little bit, but the problems prevent it from being elevated.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MGS PO will be horrible no matter what thanks to the controls :p

And I bet most people are gonna buy it just for the single player story. I know I am. I don't have any intentions playing the online portion

Wario64 said:
MGS PO will be horrible no matter what thanks to the controls :p

And I bet most people are gonna buy it just for the single player story. I know I am. I don't have any intentions playing the online portion

have you played Syphon Filter Dark Mirror yet Wario? You should check that game out but yeah I guess the single player game will rock.

I really want to buy PSP for the Ace Combat X though.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I played Syphon Filter. One of the best PSP games no doubt. It feels like a console game in graphics, sound, control, etc. One of the best PSP developed games

Wario64 said:
I played Syphon Filter. One of the best PSP games no doubt. It feels like a console game in graphics, sound, control, etc. One of the best PSP developed games

awesome! Glad we are on the same page! BUY DARK MIRROR U FOOLS!
support sony bend

Doom_Bringer said:
yea and they need to lock the camera! its difficult to constantly adjust it while playing it. Is the new Socom PS2 game good or what? I want to try another ps2 online game
What are you talking about? The camera is fine, I think.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Doom_Bringer said:
Is the new Socom PS2 game good or what? I want to try another ps2 online game
I'm waiting to see how SOCOM Combine Assault turns out on PS2. Besides the usual online matches, there's the new 4-player online co-op story mode. You want dead or empty? Resident Evil Outbreak File#2 right now has about 100 people online (not counting the 50 or so people playing a game).

Defensor said:
I'm waiting to see how SOCOM Combine Assault turns out on PS2. Besides the usual online matches, there's the new 4-player online co-op story mode. .

from what I have heard the SOCOM games have horrible frame rates so I am reluctant to buy it. I can play ugly looking games but I like my frame rate locked! Will the frame rate be good this time or no?

Safe Bet

Banned
I played the game for a bit and enjoyed it but "funny stuff" started happening way too soon into the game's life-cycle (about the exact time cheat codes for the offline mode became public), so I bailed on it and never looked back.

The gulf between the good players and the not so good ones is enormous in MGO, as you have to take advantage of the glitches to become good. Hehe.

MGO had some badass ideas and great maps, but it's clear that it was a beta test for MGS4's online mode.

SpacLock

Grayman said:
yeah I can't play anymore because I'm not able to snap headshot.

I'd play with you but my ps2 had to get moved away from the cables for awhile.

600 at one time players is pretty popular imo.

In before somebody mentions the number of players on Xbox Live games... which is like a bajillion. oops.

typo said:
MGO has awesome ideas, but it's a bug ridden POS that pales in comparison to its single-player campaign.

Was it really that bad? I have it sitting here and have never thought about taking it online, but now i'm interested. Am i going to glitch through walls and shit?

Xbox Live is a service for many games. MGO is just one. For a game that needs a lot of polish, it's a solid number, so stfu and gtfo, genome.

Miguel said:
Bull. You sucked at MGO (well, I did too, but you sucked more!)
I was going to say the same thing. I sucked less than you. I still have both games present if you need a quick reminder at who is the ruler of pwn.

Grayman

SpacLock said:
In before somebody mentions the number of players on Xbox Live games... which is like a bajillion. oops.

Was it really that bad? I have it sitting here and have never thought about taking it online, but now i'm interested. Am i going to glitch through walls and shit?
people with lag switches can get their character stuck on a ladder and run around invisable killing you. I think you can go kill their body on the ladder.

edit: fixed a typo where i spelt lag as lack.

Miguel

Verboten said:
I was going to say the same thing. I sucked less than you. I still have both games present if you need a quick reminder at who is the ruler of pwn.
El_chavo_del_ocho.jpg

Mexican MGS

Well you can blame its death on the cheaters and fustrating controls.
I used play a lot of MGO until people started cracking glitches in every room. Theres also a huge problem with the hit boxes. I shot countless people in the head and they still were able to turn around and kill me with fewer shots.... Knifing is also very buggy. Some guy managed to kill me with the knife even though I rolled away from him.... There are also people who can throw you to the ground even though ur not close to them.

Leaning side to side while aiming has got to be the most fustrating thing to do. Every time i try to lean left and right to dodge an enemy I accidently unequip my gun. Kojima has got to make it more simplistic instead of making you hold almost evey button to aim and lean. I hope they fix MGO and make the controls more simplistic and intuitive. Gears of War style camera system would be perfect for it.

Although I do like the MGS universe and some of the ideas such as using boxes, claymores, knocking people out, magazines, and CQC.

my name is: JeRkY in MGO

I played in the first 2 weeks, but stopped since my stupid friends always do the same routine with online games:

"guys! lets all buy it and play on line!!!"

guess what, they are never on or they just stop playing, I hate them

if people here want to play it again, we could make a GAF server or someting

Has Metal Gear ever had good controls though? Is it much of a surprise that a linear stealth action title with broken controls in that mode alone would translate to a multiplayer game?

Ranger X

What the hell with the controls? I hope you guys are just talking about the multi.
MGS3 Subsistance (one player mode) is absolute awesomeness.

Safe Bet

Banned
I got use to the controls pretty easily online, loved some parts while hating others.

However many of us feel when it comes to online games, controls should always be as intuitive as possible instead of being used as an avenue to differentiate player-skill.

In other words, you shouldn't have to "fight" the controls.

Only reason MGS single player controlsheld up well were because of the handicapped enemies.
Put it in a situation where the enemies are more aggressive and control by other people and you realize how overly complicated the controls are.

Grayman

Safe Bet said:
I got use to the controls pretty easily online, loved some parts while hating others.
However many of us feel when it comes to online games, controls should always be as intuitive as possible instead of being used as an avenue to differentiate player-skill.
In other words, you shouldn't have to "fight" the controls.
yeah I mostly felt like people were better than me because they memorized how to headshot without aiming and with minimal control use.

Safe Bet

Banned
Grayman said:
yeah I mostly felt like people were better than me because they memorized how to headshot without aiming and with minimal control use.
While I was pretty decent at the game, I was always at a disadvantage to headshooters.

Going into fps-mode was thoroughly unenjoyable to me.

I felt I was punished too severely for wanting to play the game the way I wanted to play it.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Ranger X said:
What the hell with the controls? I hope you guys are just talking about the multi.
MGS3 Subsistance (one player mode) is absolute awesomeness.
Against CPU enemies that stroll from A to B and back perhaps.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I bought a network adapter eariler, when everybody was raving about MGO(for cheap)... But I live in PAL so I didn't have the option to play it till now. I haven't bought it yet though, because I have a NAT problem and I don't care enough to fix it :\

Top Bottom