• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow! Nice new affordable aluminum computer case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
11-133-136-13.JPG

11-133-136-07.JPG

11-133-136-03.JPG

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-133-136&DEPA=1

Yeah, it's a rip off of the ATC-S Wavemaster design that Coolermaster sells, but look at what they done inside! Much better than the original in practical sense with slide out drive cage, 120mm fans front and back, locks front and back, and drive rails for the optical!

What's funny is, it's far better IMO than the Wavemaster ripoff that Coolermaster designs and produces!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-054&depa=1

11-119-054-01.JPG

11-119-054-02.JPG

11-119-054-07.JPG

And before anyone asks, ATC-S is NOT a prouct of Coolermaster! Coolermaster just has an exclusive contract to sell them in the world now, but back a few years, there was an actual company called ATC-S from Taiwan that designed the cases and sold them themsleves in places like Europe.

Only a third of of cases that Coolermaster sells carries the ATC-S badge for that reason (hint: all the hedious stuff is Coolermaster's own designs ;)).

xsarien

daedsiluap
Freestyler said:
Looks tacky to me :/

What's sad is that even though it's tacky, it's one of the more understated cases on the market right now. Most of the "nice" ones look like the bastard results of an Edsel and a Wurlitzer having a drunken one-night stand.

(The prosecution refers to damn near anything on xoxide.com.)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I prefer drive rails. If you decide you want to move things around, you don't have to unscrew things.

BTMash

Though this case is very very ugly:

vm3000a.jpg

There is one really good thing about it; its pretty much screwless installation, so it makes that part of the process very very simple (plus it comes with a pretty beefy PSU ,temp. monitor at the front of the comp and fan controllers). We initially got the case for the workplace and though it is fugly, its a fantastic case and more ppl have gotten it for home use.

http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/vm3000/vm3000a.htm

Burger

xsarien said:
Bleh, they both look like dorm fridges.

?

I like the bottom one more because it's nice and plain (plus silent).

I prefer not to have my computer tarted up like some 12 year old girls school book.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Burger said:
?

I like the bottom one more because it's nice and plain (plus silent).

I prefer not to have my computer tarted up like some 12 year old girls school book.

Well, neither do I, but I also don't like giant, silver and/or black monoliths. If Lian Li weren't so blatantly ripping off Apple, I'd almost say that they make the best looking cases. Ideally, I'd love to take their internal layouts and combine them with some of Antec's cases.

suaveric

I don't get it, doesn't it get annoying to have to open that thing up all the time just to get to the media drives? Or do you just leave that big door open all the time?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
This is the case I'm running now. It's got a nice non-gaudy clean look about it, and alot of well thought out interior space along with a slideout mobo trade. Plus, you can find it for under $100 these days...

11-119-029-09.JPG

11-119-029-10.JPG

Burger

Quite frankly, I don't use cd's much.

I have an external cd writer, and any games I want to play are already cracked (people who don't crack their games are idiots).

xsarien

daedsiluap
Now that you (kind of) mention it:
Can someone please explain the appeal of case windows? I just don't get it. Sure, if you want to get all novel and get one of those completely transparent cases, yeah, that can rock anyone's geek pretty hard.

But just a panel window? They always struck me as all but useless, and aesthetically dreadful.

tedtropy

xsarien said:
Now that you (kind of) mention it:
Can someone please explain the appeal of case windows? I just don't get it. Sure, if you want to get all novel and get one of those completely transparent cases, yeah, that can rock anyone's geek pretty hard.

But just a panel window? They always struck me as all but useless, and aesthetically dreadful.

If you put alot of work into making the inside of your case look clean in terms of cabling and/or just want to show off the gear you have running inside without have to take the side panel off everytime, a case window's a nice way of doing that. If the thing's going to be sitting under your desk most of the time doubling as a foot-stool, then no, there's not alot of point in it.

xsarien

daedsiluap
tedtropy said:
If you put alot of work into making the inside of your case look clean in terms of cabling and/or just want to show off the gear you have running inside without have to take the side panel off everytime, a case window's a nice way of doing that. If the thing's going to be sitting under your desk most of the time doubling as a foot-stool, then no, there's not alot of point in it.

Who the hell cares what's inside as long as it runs your games as fast as you want it to?

Hooker

I've been eye-ing the V1000 for a couple of months myself now. That case is godly, and I hate Lian-Li. (1000 is brushed alu color)

But $200+ is a little steep for a case that will be cut up a few days later. (case-modding) Especially for a poor college student...

Phoenix

ElyrionX said:
I'm using this:

Looks great but gets scratched waaay too easily. Also, rubber stops on the bottom sucks....

antson.jpg

I've got one of these as well. I haven't had any issues with scratches but I do have massive problems with fingerprints and smudges. That thing needs to be polished all the time.

Mustang said:
Shog,

Did Coolermaster kill your cat or something?

Just wondering. :)

Yeah they did! Just look at how they've butchered ATC-S stuff into their own abomniations! And I've got a good suspicion that they bought out ATCS-Tek and killed the company as it existed. There haven't been new design since MRO-18/Wavemaster.

My favorite by the way. :p

specstop06082004.jpg

indextop06082004.jpg

Single 5.25" bay + two 3.5" bays = That thing's a joke.

tedtropy

xsarien said:
Who the hell cares what's inside as long as it runs your games as fast as you want it to?

It's just a matter of preference. Why do some people dump tons of money into their car when it was already able to take them from point A to point B. It's just a project. Case modding's fairly popular, so those would be the ones that care...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom