• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

I expect Gaffers to know better having been through Killzone, Witcher 3, and Dark Souls 2. And probably countless other ones that I can't recall.

from now on Im gonna need something like Zelda, where they had dozens of hours from multiple people for me to believe thats actual gameplay

Raist

Banned
After 50 hours of gameplay, and with the developer bringing out patches quite frequently to address issues, is it unreasonable to say wait a bit for a patch?

UK Consumer Rights Act 2015,

If the digital content does not 'conform to the contract' which means is not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or as described then you are entitled to a repair or replacement. In the case of digital content, repair usually means carrying out a function, such as an update that makes it work.

The repair or replacement must be carried out within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience. You will need to demonstrate what makes the trader's offer to repair or replace significantly inconvenient if you want to opt for another remedy.

You cannot insist that the trader repairs or replaces the digital content if either remedy is impossible or disproportionate (too costly) when compared to other remedies you may have. You cannot switch between repair and replacement until you have given the trader a reasonable time to carry out the chosen remedy, unless of course it causes you significant inconvenience.

redcrayon

While you think of this specific example and think about specific issues that made some people mad, this is not something you can make an official policy out of it as it is not practical for many stores to allow that kind of use and still allow refunds no questions asked.
Where did I say 'no questions asked'?

Is it not perfectly reasonable to say that if a game stops working properly a couple of weeks after you bought it, and you can show a crash log, your options are
A) wait for a patch
B) ask for a refund.

Sure, option A is reasonable most of the time. But by removing option B, which a customer might prefer after hours of trying to fix it, you're permanently placing the customer at the mercy of developers resolving the issue in a timely fashion, while their window to get a refund If the developer fails to resolve the issue might slip away after thirty days (in some countries/stores or if they bought physical etc).

No reason not to give the customer both options in the case of software not working correctly, no matter how many hours they've played it. Both are equally reasonable but the customer should have the choice.

After 50 hours of gameplay, and with the developer bringing out patches quite frequently to address issues, is it unreasonable to say wait a bit for a patch?

It has been 21 days now, how long should he wait to have the game in a playable state (which should've happened right from the start)?

Sordid

I wouldn't say it's unreasonable, no. At the same time I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for your money back and wait for them to patch the game to a satisfactory standard before giving them money again. Or to just keep your refund if you've been turned off of the product entirely.

SomTervo

I'm sitting in awe over here, this shit is amazing lol..

It's like having a salt bath.

Except there's no water. It's just dry, rough salt up to the brim and I'm steeped, languishing in it
The term "salt" implies I think all this is unjustified - I don't

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Well made points. I don't particularly have a horse in this race, so to speak, but a few things about the whole No Man's Sky backlash come across as a little inappropriate:

a) the focus on Sean as a person. You don't know this man outside of his few public appearances, it's not really fair to judge his character or what he may or may not be like behind closed doors. Judge the product all you want but it feels creepy having all these memes and this sort of cult of people hanging on his words / actions / twitter schedule so they can tear them all apart.

b) the imaginings of what is going on or went on at Hello Games. Again, you're not there. Concocting all these conspiratorial, closed door scenarios is just silly, and it is also borderline creepy trying to find the names and job descriptions of all the staff to try to reconstruct what ever happened during development. Again, judge the product to hell and back, but unless they want to release a development diary, the rest is basically useless speculation.

c) the extreme and highly personal language. Hello Games "spit in my face," this game is "giant middle finger." I mean if I bought some appliance that turned out to be a piece of shit I would sound literally out of my mind if I used terms like that when I complained about it or tried to return it.

Anyway, just airing my accumulated complaints and observations. At the end of the day so much of this feels like it's just gone too far for what ultimately boils down to a simple decision about whether or not to buy / refund a video game.

Thanks for your input.
Absolutely, complaining (about the product) is fine. Feeling entitled to a refund is fine. I just hope people can keep it civilised.

I want to add that a lot of concerned people are throwing around the word "gamers" in order to reprimand those who are being vitriolic towards the devs and "scamming" their way to a refund. That word gets a lot of flak, and it - often along with the tone of the post - can get a comment shut down. If this is you, and you yourself play games, consider your words more carefully.

And to the ones being reprimanded: you may not like the word "gamer" and believe it represents a group that is not you, but just remember that outside observers will see it differently. They'll see hundreds of "gamers" ganging up on developers like it was their sole mission in life. As a result, they'll once again associate games and the people who play them with hatred, immaturity, insecurity, and downright creepiness.

I'm not saying everyone in this thread falls into one of these two "camps", but just remember what you're fighting, and who your actions and words will affect.

Lagamorph

48 hours and still no response from gog.com to my support request.

Pretty poor showing. Sunday I could understand, but I would have expected a response from them sometime yesterday.

Macleoid

Where I live has nothing to do with what valve knows about their legal obligations. But I'm sure if you send them some links they'll finally read up on it and change their minds about the refunds.

Companies break consumer law and tend to interpret rules to their favour and against the interest of the consumer. Also against the interest of their employees.

Consider the pension mis-selling scandals or PPI, to name a couple of prominent UK examples by larger companies than Valve.

Some areas of the law are not actively enforces, it is up to workers and consumers to challenge corporations to abide by the law.

I personally feel like the marketing of toys in general is an area where companies get away with misleading advertising that wouldn't be allowed in the sale of other things.

Uhm, companies don't automatically get charged £500 if somebody complains. Source: I work for a company.

if the ombudsman feels the case is worth investigating they do, even if the complaint loses. pretty such any person could easily provide overwhelming evidence too.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Got my refund, 4 hours play time and >14 days since purchase. Had to try twice but Steam accepted it yesterday.

I defended it at the start, but it didn't take long to get tired of it, in some ways I like what is there, but it's not the game that was advertised and it's certainly not £40 worth of content.

redcrayon

Well made points. I don't particularly have a horse in this race, so to speak, but a few things about the whole No Man's Sky backlash come across as a little inappropriate:

a) the focus on Sean as a person. You don't know this man outside of his few public appearances, it's not really fair to judge his character or what he may or may not be like behind closed doors. Judge the product all you want but it feels creepy having all these memes and this sort of cult of people hanging on his words / actions / twitter schedule so they can tear them all apart.

b) the imaginings of what is going on or went on at Hello Games. Again, you're not there. Concocting all these conspiratorial, closed door scenarios is just silly, and it is also borderline creepy trying to find the names and job descriptions of all the staff to try to reconstruct what ever happened during development. Again, judge the product to hell and back, but unless they want to release a development diary, the rest is basically useless speculation.

c) the extreme and highly personal language. Hello Games "spit in my face," this game is "giant middle finger." I mean if I bought some appliance that turned out to be a piece of shit I would sound literally out of my mind if I used terms like that when I complained about it or tried to return it.

Anyway, just airing my accumulated complaints and observations. At the end of the day so much of this feels like it's just gone too far for what ultimately boils down to a simple decision about whether or not to buy / refund a video game.
Agree entirely with this. It's weird how the language that fans of games/books/films use when they feel a product is substandard is so much more personal than that used by people disappointed with stuff like home appliances etc.

I think because the names of the creators are so much more associated with media and become celebrities, heroes or villains to their fans (to comic book proportions looking at memes etc) more easily than Hotpoint's senior development guy on its latest disappointing washing machine. Now there's a refund I deserved*... :D

It managed 20 loads before dying after 28 days and two technician callouts (we have a baby and do a lot of washing).

JCH!

Just asked for a refund. Bought on launch, played 17h.

I'm not in the 'OMG this game is terrible Sean Murray lied to us' camp, but I much rather use those 60 bucks to play Deus Ex.

Will probably buy it again when price goes down/they fix the game.

Raist

Banned
Agree entirely with this. It's weird how the language that fans of games/books/films use when they feel a product is substandard is so much more personal than that used by people disappointed with stuff like home appliances etc.

I think because the names of the creators are so much more associated with media and become celebrities, heroes or villains to their fans (to comic book proportions looking at memes etc) more easily than Hotpoint's senior development guy on its latest disappointing washing machine. Now there's a refund I deserved*... :D

It managed 20 loads before dying after 28 days and two technician callouts (we have a baby and do a lot of washing).

Cult of personality is definitely a thing, but I don't think it's much of a big factor. At least, not for a majority of people.]

It's more likely the fact that games/movies etc are a lot more personal than a washing machine.

SomTervo

Just asked for a refund. Bought on launch, played 17h.

I'm not in the 'OMG this game is terrible Sean Murray lied to us' camp, but I much rather use those 60 bucks to play Deus Ex.

Will probably buy it again when price goes down/they fix the game.

Did you get your refund yet? Unless you've experienced loads of crashes/game-stopping bugs, a refund on 17 hours could be considered unjustified.

hodgy100

The worst thing of all is that next time Sony puts a video at E3 saying it's gameplay I'm not going to believe it and people shouldn't believe it, it happened with Killzone and now this. Fuck that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAFWhFgZdCE

That's not pre rendered though. the NMS 2014 gameplay trailer. is not pre-rendered.
killzone was pre-rendered this isn't. it's all in engine just heavily scripted to give a taste of what they were shooting for.

I'm all for ripping into no man's sky's misleading advertising but let's not misrepresent what that entailed

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anyone worry that Steam's liberal refunds policy, whilst being extremely pro-consumer, may cause smaller studios to release their games as console exclusives in the future?

I would like to think that the market will work in this situation and there will be a a balance struck between consumer and developer rights on all platforms, but I think we are a long way from that.

JCH!

Did you get your refund yet? Unless you've experienced loads of crashes/game-stopping bugs, a refund on 17 hours could be considered unjustified.

Nothing yet.

I don't really care that much if it comes through anyway, I just thought it was worth a try. Much rather spend that money on a game I will actually enjoy.

If I don't get it I will just have to hope for the best and see if Hello Games manages to turn the game around.

Plus, I don't really care if it's justified or not. I am not happy with my purchase and if presented with an opportunity of getting my money back I will at least try it.

GeNoMe

I played for about 22 hours and got a refund.

It felt effing great.

Next question?

Honestly what kind of question is that? How do I feel about refunding after xx amount of playtime.

The product in question is a broken fucking mess! And totally not my money's worth. It didn't live up to what was advertised!
The same question can be asked to the ones responsible for producing such a travesty. How do they feel about misleading people into making them think they are getting a moist cupcake, when in reality all you got was a piece of sun dried dogshit.

Coldsun

Banned
Does anyone worry that Steam's liberal refunds policy, whilst being extremely pro-consumer, may cause smaller studios to release their games as console exclusives in the future?

I would like to think that the market will work in this situation and there will be a a balance struck between consumer and developer rights on all platforms, but I think we are a long way from that.

Not really no. Steam monitors refunds and abusers will be prevented from additional refunds. Additionally, it isn't like a huge population is refunding each game, heck, NMS for Steam which has made refunding quite 'popular' isn't even seeing THAT huge of a turn about.

pompidu

We can talk about playing games for 50 hours then getting a full refund but insta ban if you admit to pirating a game. This forum sometimes. Wow

Bedlam

No, if anything Sony (in this case) should be forced to give refunds for digital purchases more willingly in the future.Their tactic is to intimidate customers requesting refunds with their company policy (same as Steam) but it doesn't mean shit vs. consumer rights laws in the respective country.

I really do hope that at least in Europe some consumer rights departments such as the Verbraucherschutz in Germany will look into this case if the companies continue to refuse refunds.

We can talk about playing games for 50 hours then getting a full refund but insta ban if you admit to pirating a game. This forum sometimes. Wow
Yeah, sometimes common sense prevails in this forum. Not in your post though.

Yagharek

Nuance is beyond you I guess, but what if a game tooked 55 hours to finish by default. Let's say FFVII. Everyone could play it endlessly until disc 3 then as soon as you went to the northern crater, boom, game wont run, saves permanently corrupted.

Would you want a refund, or call everyone who did entitled?

NMS has an express goal: get to the centre of the galaxy. It takes time to get there and because of specific bugs people can not.

Beefy

I will say again. This thread proves how messed up some view consumer rights. The crazy aggressive posts need to stop, they are taking it way too far.

If some one feels lied to or if some one has a bad gaming experience ( crashes/game not what it should be etc) then they are with in their rights to ask for a refund (it may or may not be granted).

I do not get posters that go on to a thread clearly to annoy another poster. If a person loves the game is it hurting you? If a poster has successfully got a refund is it hurting you? I just don't get people that have to pick a side, then have to defend that side at all cost (even if it means bullying, like we have had in this thread as well). This happens with more then just gaming and for me is pretty sad. It's like some tribal thing that people need to feel they belong to a side and most defend it to the death whenever some one disagrees.

At the end of the day we are all gamers, we all want the same thing. If a game/dev promises something and you don't get it shouldn't they get called out? The more this happens the better gaming will actually be. You really think game companies want to have the game be refunded/slammed time after time? In the end things will change.

Sorry for the essay and sorry if it doesn't make sense here and there (blame the dyslexia)

pompidu

Nuance is beyond you I guess, but what if a game tooked 55 hours to finish by default. Let's say FFVII. Everyone could play it endlessly until disc 3 then as soon as you went to the northern crater, boom, game wont run, saves permanently corrupted.

Would you want a refund, or call everyone who did entitled?

NMS has an express goal: get to the centre of the galaxy. It takes time to get there and because of specific bugs people can not.

The individuals who cannot physically finish the game because of bugs are as very small fraction of the user base.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
second try, sony germany with the email contact form.
once again got an answer from the same psn person and once again I got a "once you downloaded it we won't refund you anything"

Seventy70

The individuals who cannot physically finish the game because of bugs are as very small fraction of the user base.

Something that doesn't work properly was sold for full price. The people who bought it deserve a refund regardless of the time they spent in the game. End of story. There is no other way to look at it. Besides, what people are also forgetting is that refunds were not allowed up until now. So, what other option did the people who bought the broken game have? The first two hours might've went fine, but as it's been noted, the game gets progressively buggy as you go further. They just had to suck it up and get whatever they could out of it. Now that refunds are being allowed though, they are completely justified in getting their money back.

Imagine that you bought a brand new bike for full price at a shop. You go ride it and after about 1 mile, the bike starts to get jammed/malfunction. You know that the shop doesn't give refunds after 0.5 miles. So, what you do is you put up with the malfunction because you've already spent so much money on it. You end up riding 20 miles on it by the time the company says they are allowing refunds. Now, what if someone came you and said, "You should be ashamed of getting a refund for that after riding 20 miles!"

redcrayon

No, and it's really not that liberal- all it does it guarantee a refund within two hours of play for any reason, but it offers no guarantees at all regarding any other issue that happens outside of that.

They also specifically say that that customers shouldn't be using that policy to demo or complete games then refund them on a regular basis just because they can- they have the data and can easily crack down on individuals who abuse it. It's there to automate dealing with the odd disappointment for people who buy tons of games, not as a free demo service.

Money 'lost' from refunds on steam is not going to be greater than profits made from releasing a title on steam, even with NMS.

Bedlam

second try, sony germany with the email contact form.
once again got an answer from the same psn person called "Jana" and once again I got a "once you downloaded it we won't refund you anything"
People need to start forwarding this issue to the Verbraucherschutz. The lies aside, the frequent crashes alone for some players are simply unacceptable and a clear reason for a refund. And then there is the false advertising that is still up and running for the game.

Honestly what kind of question is that? How do I feel about refunding after xx amount of playtime.

The product in question is a broken fucking mess! And totally not my money's worth. It didn't live up to what was advertised!
The same question can be asked to the ones responsible for producing such a travesty. How do they feel about misleading people into making them think they are getting a moist cupcake, when in reality all you got was a piece of sun dried dogshit.
I agree, it's a bizarre question.

If the game starts having crashes at 10 or 30 hours, what does it matter? If the game has a save-wipe bug at 50 hours, I can't get my time back, but I sure as hell better be able to get my money back!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
People need to start forwarding this issue to the Verbraucherschutz. The lies aside, the frequent crashes alone for some players are simply unacceptable and a clear reason for a refund. And then there is the false advertising that is still up and running for the game.

I don't care about the lies. I care about the frequent crashes I'm having. If you look into my post history..I loved the game.

Kareha

But it's not just Steam giving out refunds, it's nigh on everyone, even Sony themselves.

SomTervo

I will say again. This thread proves how messed up some view consumer rights. The crazy aggressive posts need to stop, they are taking it way too far.

If some one feels lied to or if some one has a bad gaming experience ( crashes/game not what it should be etc) then they are with in their rights to ask for a refund (it may or may not be granted).

I do not get posters that go on to a thread clearly to annoy another poster. If a person loves the game is it hurting you? If a poster has successfully got a refund is it hurting you? I just don't get people that have to pick a side, then have to defend that side at all cost (even if it means bullying, like we have had in this thread as well). This happens with more then just gaming and for me is pretty sad. It's like some tribal thing that people need to feel they belong to a side and most defend it to the death whenever some one disagrees.

At the end of the day we are all gamers, we all want the same thing. If a game/dev promises something and you don't get it shouldn't they get called out? The more this happens the better gaming will actually be. You really think game companies want to have the game be refunded/slammed time after time? In the end things will change.

Sorry for the essay and sorry if it doesn't make sense here and there (blame the dyslexia)

A great post, no need to apologise.

SomTervo

I agree, it's a bizarre question.

If the game starts having crashes at 10 or 30 hours, what does it matter? If the game has a save-wipe bug at 50 hours, I can't get my time back, but I sure as hell better be able to get my money back!

A difficult thing to account for is what the purchase of a game means, I mean legally, in terms of 'warranty' or use-period. I.e. we can analogise this with a car which works perfectly for three months and then breaks in a key way. But the difference with a car, or a monitor, or an appliance in general, is that they come with warranty. Games don't come with warranty AFAIK (although I guess you can insure them optionally), so it's a bit of a wild west in terms of refunds, with Steam setting their own agenda and Sony setting their own agenda, etc.

Is anything really set in stone? I know in the UK we have the 30-day period for digital goods if something doesn't work, so it's a little clearer over here. It would be great to have a solicitor in this thread comment on it for us.

The worst thing of all is that next time Sony puts a video at E3 saying it's gameplay I'm not going to believe it and people shouldn't believe it, it happened with Killzone and now this. Fuck that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAFWhFgZdCE

Jesus.

What the fuck am I hearing re: Killzone 2?

"This is like Killzone 2 levels".

"No, it's beyond that. Killzone 2 actually got close".

This is just astounding to hear. I adore KZ2, but that trailer makes Battlefield 1 look at least one generation old. Look at the animations; it is so blatantly CGI that it's laughable. This gen maybe doing things comparably on some levels, but the overall fidelity and movement is untouched by what's been released and will be released in the coming years. It just doesn't look like a playable video game and frankly, the whole "you should have known better" argument actually holds water with the KZ2 reveal, unlike NMS' bullshittery.

I don't believe a refund policy will change anything. I do think that some shorter experiences can be abused quite easily with the 2 hour window.

I think a good balance, personally, is to allow most, if not all games a 1 hour window as a demo, for starters, so people can get a taste of the game before they buy to limit refunds.

If games are shorter I would say besting something like Mega Man and wanting to return it afterwards would be a no go unless it had major technical issues.

There's definitely middle ground to be reached that's both fair for consumers and devs, but that can vary wildly from game to game so it will be an imperfect system.

I also think exceptions should be made like with the case of NMS and the often mentioned Skyrim where only knee-deep do severe technical issues become apparent.

I think even if you spend 300 hours on a game to make it to the last boss, stage, area (whatever) and the game breaks down and fails to function there you are still within your rights to refund.

I'd personally like to see more demos so people can judge the game, technical inequities aside. I really wish at least PSN offered full one-hour trials of every game to dip your toes.

One thing is for sure, the industry is still teething. Developers have to learn we can't release games with false promises and technical issues and consumers really need to stop the cult of personality with developers and hand-wave issues.

We make games to sell you, we are not your friends but at the same time we are - a weird statement and colder than it sounds but its true. Most definitely need to have a relationship that revolves around the business side with mutual respect and understanding. The more direct and open we are with each other the fewer issues we will have.

A difficult thing to account for is what the purchase of a game means, I mean legally, in terms of 'warranty' or use-period. I.e. we can analogise this with a car which works perfectly for three months and then breaks in a key way. But the difference with a car, or a monitor, or an appliance in general, is that they come with warranty. Games don't come with warranty AFAIK (although I guess you can insure them optionally), so it's a bit of a wild west in terms of refunds, with Steam setting their own agenda and Sony setting their own agenda, etc.

Is anything really set in stone? I know in the UK we have the 30-day period for digital goods if something doesn't work, so it's a little clearer over here. It would be great to have a solicitor in this thread comment on it for us.
There may be questions around what "purchasing" a game may mean in terms of a "license" or whatever, but I don't think that's totally relevant. That games don't come with proper warranties and proper refund policies seems to be more of a relic of days when it was easy to copy software, rather than some well thought out policy that's beneficial to the modern market (particularly to the consumer side obviously).

Even when I only "rent" some kind of non-gaming product, I'm pretty sure that I almost always have a right to a refund if the product is defective. So in the case of No Man's Sky, does it matter that it didn't come with a warranty? I can't even remember having this discussion with any other purchase category. My movie ticket doesn't have a real manufacturer's warranty that I know of, but if the movie starts stuttering half-way through the flick, I'm pretty sure I could get my money back easily. If I buy a Dyson vacuum, yeah I guess there's a warranty, and I've never really had a problem refunding a defective appliance. If I buy a eBook from a storefront, I feel pretty confident that if my book was missing pages or started crashing my eReader, I can get my money back. If I buy a paperback, and it was missing pages or the pages were miscut so as to be unreadable, I'm fairly sure I can get a refund. If I order a dinner, and the food is undercooked or missing part of what was advertised, I'm fairly certain I'll be compensated.

The game was (possibly still is) arguably hugely defective. Like I've said in other threads, the game crashed for me more than any other game on PS4. Not just individually, I think it may have crashed more than the rest of my games combined. I felt pretty entitled to a refund. If this were a defective DVD, book, meal, computer, pair of shoes, or practically another other purchasable item, this conversation wouldn't have gone on so long. This whole debate around refunds seems to only come up with video games because of people's unhealthy relationships to developers and games and the disgusting amount of corporate ballwashing that goes on with gaming products.

I don't give a flying shit if they lose money off my refund, that's their goddamn problem.

Devs aren't our friends.

We don't owe them anything.

The shmucks should sell an actually functioning product next time and not lie out of their goddamn asses about what the product entails.

End of discussion.

SomTervo

I'd personally like to see more demos so people can judge the game, technical inequities aside. I really wish at least PSN offered full one-hour trials of every game to dip your toes.

One thing is for sure, the industry is still teething. Developers have to learn we can't release games with false promises and technical issues and consumers really need to stop the cult of personality with developers and hand-wave issues.

Very well put.

Why the hell did demos die out in the first place?

Top Bottom