• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW: Shadowlands Delayed - No new date yet

ManaByte

I wanted to let you know that we’re delaying the release of Shadowlands to later this year—and while we’re still in the process of determining the right new date to launch, we felt it was important to let you know about this change in plans as soon as we could. This was an incredibly difficult decision for the team, as we’re as eager to get the expansion into your hands as you are to play it—but ultimately, we feel it’s the right decision for the game—and for our players.

In the meantime, we’re excited to announce that beginning October 13 we will be releasing the Shadowlands pre-patch, which lays a lot of the groundwork for the expansion and includes our revamped character leveling, new-player experience on Exile’s Reach, and a host of new character customization options. And once we get closer to Shadowlands’ release, you’ll be called upon to defend Azeroth against a resurgence of the Scourge during our pre-launch event.

Jooxed

Gold Member
ULAubxG.jpg

Arthimura

No.

But the delay could signal a transition to next-gen consoles.

I think it's too late for this. If they plannet to port to consoles, they would have made it years ago when the game was more popular. FFXIV was ported for PS3, PS4 and will be ported to PS5 and Series X.

Honestly think so? I really don't. Stranger things have happened though
Not a chance.

It's because covenants are shit and they need to revamp it.
I think it's too late for this. If they plannet to port to consoles, they would have made it years ago when the game was more popular. FFXIV was ported for PS3, PS4 and will be ported to PS5 and Series X.

@All

I don't expect to see it on next-gen consoles tomorrow or this year, maybe late next year.

WoW has seen a resurgence in popularity lately and with the push for GAAS on consoles, the relaxation of the use of M+KB on consoles and catalysed by Cross-Play in big name games like CoD, i could see this title coming over.

Look how well Diablo 3 did once it hit consoles (and after all of the fixes). Likewise, look how well console games do when they hit Steam et al.

Maybe a console manufacturer could offer a deal where the monthly sub is removed exclusive to their platform.

ManaByte

@All

I don't expect to see it on next-gen consoles tomorrow or this year, maybe late next year.

WoW has seen a resurgence in popularity lately and with the push for GAAS on consoles, the relaxation of the use of M+KB on consoles and catalysed by Cross-Play in big name games like CoD, i could see this title coming over.

Look how well Diablo 3 did once it hit consoles (and after all of the fixes). Likewise, look how well console games do when they hit Steam et al.

Maybe a console manufacturer could offer a deal where the monthly sub is removed exclusive to their platform.

Blizzard implemented official gamepad support in Shadowlands. They're trying to deflect and say it's just for "accessibility" but c'mon man:
19006-in-game-preview-of-gamepad-support-for-shadowlands.jpg

Blizzard implemented official gamepad support in Shadowlands. They're trying to deflect and say it's just for "accessibility" but c'mon man:
19006-in-game-preview-of-gamepad-support-for-shadowlands.jpg
Once the mechanics of supporting controllers is done, what's left from stopping it becoming a console game? Especially with how close the specs of the consoles are to a PC? (in software etc, not power ratio)

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
@All

Diablo 3 was designed with a controller in mind, which was one of the many flaws with the game.

Wow is not. I mean the rotations are becoming more basic. But I really doubt it there's just too much that wouldn't work with a controller.

Reactions: Fuz

cucuchu

The delay is 99% just them balancing/bug fixing. They have introduced a lot of new systems in the game right out of the gate of an expansion so I imagine its all been a nightmare to balance.

As fun as it is to imagine WoW on a console, I don't know how practical that really is. I can't imagine raid healing in WoW with a controller. I know people do it in FFXIV but from what I understand, each healer is kind of just responsible for their group and the game is designed around that. Where as in WoW, you need mouse-over macros or some addon that performs that function to be able to targe a specific person within an entire raid of 20 (mythic) within half a second in some cases. I guess there is always the option of playing with keyboard and mouse on a console, so maybe...

Diablo 3 was designed with a controller in mind, which was one of the many flaws with the game.

Wow is not. I mean the rotations are becoming more basic. But I really doubt it there's just too much that wouldn't work with a controller.
I hear ya, though I will have to respectfully disagree on the controller part.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Console Diablo 3 was the best Diablo 3.

Not really. I had both PC and console version. Still a shitty Diablo compared to Diablo 2.

WoW is also a ghost of its former glory, which is why the game has declined so much.

They'd also have to redo boss tactics or at least heavy nerf raid bosses etc because how limited a controller is.

I'm certain that WoW would never be released on consoles. Not until they've totally wrecked it like the did with Diablo 3.

Inviusx

The only thing standing in the way of WoW on console is how closely tied to battle net it is, way more so than D3 was which is why that made its way to every platform.

I imagine that getting all of their backend stuff to cooperate with Sony's and Xboxs infrastructure is a massive technical challenge.

However if WoW were coming to console I feel they would have announced it already, it would require a fairly lengthy beta period.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Here we fucking go again. Blizzard with another disappointment

I’m sure this delay mainly happened because of how garbage the Covenants. Oh well, I’ll grind the pre-patch for now.

Top Bottom