• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW streamer Reckful has just commited suicide

xrnzaaas

How about not having kids in the first place?
Tell that to people who want kids and live in a country where adopting a child is impossible or very difficult. Of course they're going to try. Plus neurological conditions haven't been studied well enough to provide parents with likely scenarios of their kids developing the same diseases.

etp_1

I didnt know any of his streams. "Only" know him by name as he was a big name in the WoW days back then and from Forsen which was a good friend of him as far as i could tell...very sad indeed as i can relate to it alot being self in a deep depression. Dealing with every coming thoughts is not as funny as people think it is. May he and his brother be in peace now...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder what his outcome would have been like had he had some mental support. Its very sad to read this about Reckful. Social media continues to be a poison, slowly eating away at people who are already suffering. Its a slippery slope to stay on if you don't reach out for help. You'll always run into someone online who is willing to throw a stone at your glass house.

ManaByte

As someone who is battling with depression and suicidal thoughts this is just so sad, I can't imagine what it must be like having so much nasty shit sent your way via social media.

The worst thing is the people sending that nasty shit don't care. They see something like this as a trophy and justification for being anonymous assholes on the internet.

Saber

Gold Member
God damn people are brutal

U2QcOW7.png

What a son of a fucking bitch. Twitter is a fucking safe zone for this scum, disgusting.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified

At one point he was the biggest World of Warcraft streamer on Twitch, and one of the best arena players in the world. It seems like he has been battling depression for a long time and had a final straw moment today.

As someone who is battling with depression and suicidal thoughts this is just so sad, I can't imagine what it must be like having so much nasty shit sent your way via social media.

If you have a problem with depression and thoughts of suicide then you need to sign off GAF and seek guidance. Mods, please look into this account.

Tell that to people who want kids and live in a country where adopting a child is impossible or very difficult. Of course they're going to try. Plus neurological conditions haven't been studied well enough to provide parents with likely scenarios of their kids developing the same diseases.

Sometimes what you want and what's right are different things.

When do we get the tell all on #metoo on how he emotionally abused everyone around him with his constant depression and talk of killing himself?

I'm sure Resetera would love a chance to piss all over this guy's grave.

Not familiar with him, but this was the first warning sign in my non medical opinion. Loneliness, especially in someone that can't control their own thoughts, can take over your pretty quickly. Having folks around you can still go two ways though, but when it's good, it's really good and lasts for hours. He had enough success that he could almost have enough power to create a situation that removed his loneliness, kind of the ultimate dream of a loner.

samporter

Banned
I've watch this person stream arena matches back when WOW was popular. I believe he liked to play as an arms warrior. Kind of strange to see how people who devoted so much time to a game may in fact do so because of real life issues. Makes me wonder if all the pros in competitive gaming do have deep social/emotion problems.

tryDEATH

Social media wasn't a mistake, allowing for completely anonymous free speech was, people just behave differently when there aren't any consequences for their actions especially when its a loop sided interaction between a public figure and a stranger.

May he rest in peace.

xrnzaaas

Sometimes what you want and what's right are different things.
I agree but like I said, it's the need to procreate and to become a parent which ends up being stronger. Many people are also living in denial and for instance don't go for regular health checkups even if there were multiple cancer deaths in the family.

Xenon

Sad. My kids talk about their brains in the third person as if it's a seperate person making them do things. It really is true at times. Sucks seeing a person loose a battle with theirs. RIP

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I mean, I am not sure if it's even social media, honestly loneliness could be deadly to certain people. I can see that.

manfestival

The demonstrations in WoW that I have seen from watching Asmongold are really touching. There are so many people paying respects out there.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I mean, I am not sure if it's even social media, honestly loneliness could be deadly to certain people. I can see that.

Millennials are a staggeringly lonely generation:

This correlates strongly with being the first social media generation.

ZeroGravity

There's rarely one defining factor when it comes to situations like this but social media has a huge influence people's mental states, especially those like streamers who make their living online and a presence on social media is almost a requirement, and I don't think enough people take the issues it can cause serious enough. What happened last year with Etika really should have been a wake-up call but it feels like no one's learned any lessons since then.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Millennials are a staggeringly lonely generation:

This correlates strongly with being the first social media generation.
Yeah, I know and the suicide rates going to be sky high if we do century statistic, I think. If you would account to that those....asisted suicides. Well.... yeah. I don't think I have enough power to make my story as honest as possible. But it's a reason why I wrote that and I don't even really use, aside from this site any social media.

Shit, it's basically reason, why I got into video games so much.

There's rarely one defining factor when it comes to situations like this but social media has a huge influence people's mental states, especially those like streamers who make their living online and a presence on social media is almost a requirement, and I don't think enough people take the issues it can cause serious enough. What happened last year with Etika really should have been a wake-up call but it feels like no one's learned any lessons since then.
Sure but what do you do? Those people who need to be cut from Social media, due to potential risk, would probably commited suicide at that moment of being banned/cut.

Sophist

Reckful was alone because he behaved badly to many people and now that he is dead, many videos showing that are being deleted or turn to private.

Apparently he proposed to his girlfriend over social media, she probably said no.

From what I heard it's way worse. She was asleep when he tweeted this. When she woke up he was already dead.

Rest in peace, he was a good guy from what I saw.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Reckful was alone because he behaved badly to many people and now that he is dead, many videos showing that are being deleted or turn to private.
No one is perfect, and from what I can remember he apologized to a lot of those people and made amends. He was making some progress the last couple of years in a number of ways.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Why do people do this shit to themselves man, I will never understand. Seek help! And why weren’t people around his doing anything?

Nymphae

Banned
Haven't seen Andy Milonakis in some time, just watched Waiting not too long ago though he's funny in that

GreatnessRD

Breaks my heart that people allow these internet randoms to disturb their peace. FUCK THESE PEOPLE! I do pray that he was able to find peace in death that he could not in life. Condolences to his friends, family and fans. 2020 still on its best bullshit.

Top Bottom