• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow this is huge...California sues over addition of citizenship question to US census

NickFire

Oklahoma literally can't afford to keep some schools open 5 days a week.

Really? We're going to pretend red states aren't incredibly poor?
Even more reason to make sure we start paying more attention to whether people are here lawfully or not on the federal level. Make sure our funds are being divided properly among the actual citizens.

Even more reason to make sure we start paying more attention to whether people are here lawfully or not on the federal level. Make sure our funds are being divided properly among the actual citizens.

In that case, let's get an even amount of taxes from each state, and make sure that each state gets an even amount of government assistance.

I'll take a hard working illegal over a legal red state welfare drain anyway. Because the former has more productivity to the economy. Because guess what? Companies and businesses want that cheap labor, and they are the ones calling the shots. They are the ones make the contributions.

Want to "Chase out all the illegals" whatever the hell that means (Btw, many 'illegals' actually cannot legally apply for citizenship, like the dreamers under the program https://www.abc2news.com/news/national/why-daca-recipients-cant-apply-for-citizenship), then you're going to have to take it up with the companies.

NickFire

In that case, let's get an even amount of taxes from each state, and make sure that each state gets an even amount of government assistance.

I'll take a hard working illegal over a legal red state welfare drain anyway. Because the former has more productivity to the economy. Because guess what? Companies and businesses want that cheap labor, and they are the ones calling the shots. They are the ones make the contributions.

Want to "Chase out all the illegals" whatever the hell that means (Btw, many 'illegals' actually cannot legally apply for citizenship, like the dreamers under the program https://www.abc2news.com/news/national/why-daca-recipients-cant-apply-for-citizenship), then you're going to have to take it up with the companies.
I'm not actually in favor of kicking all illegals out. But I do want to know actual numbers to know where the country stands.

XAL

Oklahoma literally can't afford to keep some schools open 5 days a week.

Really? We're going to pretend red states aren't incredibly poor?

Red States take more than they give to the union whereas blue states give more than they take.

The funny thing about this census thing is that it will definitely hurt red states like Texas and they will definitely lose congressional seats over it, it's not something that will hurt liberal states exclusively.

But people on the right don't tend to think things all the way through.

Spheyr

Banned
No state should receive funding for illegals it chooses to harbor. You want to stop paying for them? ICE wants to help with that.

The census absolutely needs a question about citizenship.

I'm not actually in favor of kicking all illegals out. But I do want to know actual numbers to know where the country stands.

Yeah, here's the thing. More people think like the poster above, than those who 'just want to know where the country stands'.

Most want someone to blame for their shitty lives.

Some people can't understand that even those who don't have shitty lives can be anti-illegal.

No, but a lot of them are.

"I cant get a good job because of them damn illegals! A college kid fresh out with a degree and a part time job? LAZY KIDS DON'T WANT TO WORK! BOOTSTRAPS!"

Sounds about right.

Spheyr

Banned
Might want to aim your stereotype elsewhere, my wife and I are pretty comfortable here in our beautiful low cost of living city.

Spheyr

Banned
Some people refer to others and then make a statement about people because they mean to imply that the person they've just referred to fits that statement.

But maybe some people aren't smart enough to understand that social cue.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Hence the illegal part. You cannot compel someone to admit they completed a crime.
Regardless of whether they would actually prosecute or not. On the books, according to the law you would need to completely fill out the census, and one of the questions is basically asking if they committed a crime by illegally immigrating which would violate the 5th Amendment. Further given previous uses of the census as a weapon as shown in the above it would not be unreasonable to think that information filed in the census could be used against them.

Asking someone whether they are a citizen is not the same as asking if they've committed a crime. It isn't a crime to be a non-citizen residing in the United States--plenty of foreigners do it legally. And it isn't a crime to be unlawfully present in the United States. It is a crime to improperly enter the country, but the citizenship question doesn't come close to asking about that issue.

Blackie

Trump seems illogically inimical to immigrants (which our nation was built on) so there is no reason to give him more ammo, good on CA/NY/etc. for opposing.

Spheyr

Banned
Trump seems illogically inimical to immigrants (which our nation was built on) so there is no reason to give him more ammo, good on CA/NY/etc. for opposing.
He's against illegal immigrants. He has no issues with legal immigrants.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I must know what you think "unlawful" means

Not the same thing as criminal:

Experts agreed. Unlawful presence is neither a felony nor a misdemeanor, said Ilya Shapiro, a senior fellow in constitutional studies at the libertarian Cato Institute. It is a civil infraction that results in removal and a bar on re-entry for a certain period of time.

"Not everything that’s illegal — meaning against the law or violating the law — is a crime," Shapiro said. "There are civil violations, like when you get a parking ticket. ‘Unlawful presence’ is one of these. You don't go to jail or receive any other criminal punishment for being in the country illegally — you get deported."

Panda1

Banned
Trump seems illogically inimical to immigrants (which our nation was built on) so there is no reason to give him more ammo, good on CA/NY/etc. for oppsing.
I thought America was built upon colonising and genocide of the natives? Once that had happened all the immigrants coming in had no welfare state so either had to integrate and work or leave. It was also quite homogenised. The current situation is a complete clusterfuck for the last 40 years or so as America seems to let anyone in who can sneak across the border but then not allow anyone in from anywhere else in the world unless they have money and can spend years waiting to get a green card or visa. Why no one wants to actually resolve the issue on either side shows that this not a partisan issue.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I thought America was built upon colonising and genocide of the natives? Once that had happened all the immigrants coming in had no welfare state so either had to integrate and work or leave. It was also quite homogenised. The current situation is a complete clusterfuck for the last 40 years or so as America seems to let anyone in who can sneak across the border but then not allow anyone in from anywhere else in the world unless they have money and can spend years waiting to get a green card or visa. Why no one wants to actually resolve the issue on either side shows that this not a partisan issue.

Lots of blanket statements here without a lot of facts. I personally know people without money who have immigrated to the US through a green card process. I would suggest to refrain from such blanket statements without facts to back them up.

Ke0

Pretty sure Oklahoma's financial struggles are self inflicted due to the belief in austerity and trickle down economics. If your government divided funds equally, Oklahoma and other red States like Kansas and Mississippi would suffer even more since they get by due to being given way more funds than they contribute (meaning funds are being divided disproportionally to them).

Xiaoki

The lawsuit has been joined by Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, the District of Columbia, New York, Seattle, Providence, Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia and the bipartisan US Conference of Mayors.

NickFire

Pretty sure Oklahoma's financial struggles are self inflicted due to the belief in austerity and trickle down economics. If your government divided funds equally, Oklahoma and other red States like Kansas and Mississippi would suffer even more since they get by due to being given way more funds than they contribute (meaning funds are being divided disproportionally to them).
Maybe you're right, maybe not. I truly have no idea, but I would not be shocked if agriculture is a big part of the economic output and that the need to keep food prices low contributes to less tax revenue for the state. In such a case, I would certainly hope we would not hold that against them when dividing funds between out citizens. Food is a necessity, and if food prices go crazy the cities would become absolute disaster zones in a short time frame. Can't grow much wheat in concrete.

With respect to other municipalities' leaders joining in the lawsuit, I can't help but wonder how they think the effort to hide information will play out during their next elections. Those who want to keep the information hidden are already voting one way no matter what options they are faced with. But there will be independents who are negatively swayed by the efforts to keep this data from being collected. Seems a short sighted move to join in. Its only seeking to collect data.

Top Bottom