• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Hayabusa83

Banned
Man, that Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay match was absolutely crazy. I don't know how quite to explain it, but it felt like a WCW/NWO Revenge match. That Tiger Driver 91 looking devastating.

Managed to catch Don Callis on the Jericho podcast. I almost spit out into my phone laughing at Old Cyrus the Virus maintaining kayfabe. He must have watched Draft Day recently because he described Takeshita as a guy who walks into a room and his dick's already been there for five minutes.

Last edited:
Danielson getting that Final Countdown entrance was fucking great.

Really fun show overall. Although these PPVs are too long.

Oh god, absolutely. Osprey vs. Omega was easily the MOTN, and should have gone on last instead of Danielson vs. Okada. The crowd was pretty dead, and apparently Danielson fractured his arm which led to that odd finish.

Reactions: RNG

NickFire

Who else here could watch LA Knight cut promos all day? "nanana" "yeahhh"
Yeahh

The potential for him to win a MiTB contract is the primary reason I am looking forward to MiTB this year. His mic skills and in ring work could carry the Raw brand through a lot of title match programs. Win with a cheap heel cash in, Then a few programs against good guys while LA tries resisting crowd cheers. Finally buy into the cheering at one of the bigger PPV's when he faces a true heel threat for the first time. Money.

Second most anticipated match is Dominic v. Cody. Can't believe I just typed that. Dominic and Rhea right now are absolute fire.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Yeahh

The potential for him to win a MiTB contract is the primary reason I am looking forward to MiTB this year. His mic skills and in ring work could carry the Raw brand through a lot of title match programs. Win with a cheap heel cash in, Then a few programs against good guys while LA tries resisting crowd cheers. Finally buy into the cheering at one of the bigger PPV's when he faces a true heel threat for the first time. Money.

Second most anticipated match is Dominic v. Cody. Can't believe I just typed that. Dominic and Rhea right now are absolute fire.
I thought at one time that Dominic was dead in the water. It is a bizarre turn of events.

LA Knight's recent matches have been pretty sloppy. Though I guess the Rey Mysterio thing was last minute Vince shenanigans. Would love to see LA Knight get the briefcase but can't help but think it's gonna be Logan Paul.

As far as Forbidden Door went... it did more for me than last year's, that's for sure. I at least know who the AEW guys are now compared to then. And I picked up on Okada being a big deal. What about the guy that beat up Jungle Boy? Is that like the main NJPW title? There were a few elderly Japanese dudes that I knew nothing about... so it was just sad elderly wrestling without the nostalgia factor. The results were all super predictable including the Junglehook turn, and some of these shows are just too damn long. Fell asleep during Danielson/Okada, sorry!

Ospreay and Omega was great. Some British goon where every other word out of his mouth is "bruv" is exactly the type of Brit I'm looking for. Not these soy podcasting fucks:
puf53Wh.png

And I'll reiterate that I would be embarrassed to join a Discord server with their microphone quality let alone post content to a YouTube channel with 2 million subscribers!

Simon Miller is still fine, though the whole "Ups and Downs" thing is a bit cloying seeing as it's like 90% ups.

Maybe I do need more Cornette in my life, I'll take unhinged rage over endless simpery any day!

Hayabusa83

Banned
LA Knight's recent matches have been pretty sloppy. Though I guess the Rey Mysterio thing was last minute Vince shenanigans. Would love to see LA Knight get the briefcase but can't help but think it's gonna be Logan Paul.

As far as Forbidden Door went... it did more for me than last year's, that's for sure. I at least know who the AEW guys are now compared to then. And I picked up on Okada being a big deal. What about the guy that beat up Jungle Boy? Is that like the main NJPW title? There were a few elderly Japanese dudes that I knew nothing about... so it was just sad elderly wrestling without the nostalgia factor. The results were all super predictable including the Junglehook turn, and some of these shows are just too damn long. Fell asleep during Danielson/Okada, sorry!

Ospreay and Omega was great. Some British goon where every other word out of his mouth is "bruv" is exactly the type of Brit I'm looking for. Not these soy podcasting fucks:
puf53Wh.png

And I'll reiterate that I would be embarrassed to join a Discord server with their microphone quality let alone post content to a YouTube channel with 2 million subscribers!

Simon Miller is still fine, though the whole "Ups and Downs" thing is a bit cloying seeing as it's like 90% ups.

Maybe I do need more Cornette in my life, I'll take unhinged rage over endless simpery any day!

Cornette is a legit cuck as well.

Dthomp

puf53Wh.png

I think finding a quality wrestling news/reviews youtube channel is impossible today. I live in the US but I used to enjoy Wrestletalk, but it got way to cringe filled with them trying to be characters and wacky instead of just being entertaining. Simon Miller is like you said just fine, but that Ups and Downs crap is eye rolling stuff when it's always UPS! Do share if you find anybody else worth watching, I wish Cornette could look at AEW without the 1970s rose tinted glasses and his hate boner for Kenny and the Bucks for likely not wanting to fuck his wife in front of him, cause he obviously has good knowledge of the business but has to stay in that awful character for the audience he has created.

dave_d

I think finding a quality wrestling news/reviews youtube channel is impossible today. I live in the US but I used to enjoy Wrestletalk, but it got way to cringe filled with them trying to be characters and wacky instead of just being entertaining. Simon Miller is like you said just fine, but that Ups and Downs crap is eye rolling stuff when it's always UPS! Do share if you find anybody else worth watching, I wish Cornette could look at AEW without the 1970s rose tinted glasses and his hate boner for Kenny and the Bucks for likely not wanting to fuck his wife in front of him, cause he obviously has good knowledge of the business but has to stay in that awful character for the audience he has created.
Hell I wish he could look at wrestling in general without his biases and rose tinted glasses. I mean there's so many, Big Show, Bianca Belair, Montez Ford, and the Miz for god sakes that you just wished he'd just watch this stuff with open eyes in both AEW and WWE sometimes. He does have a lot of knowledge but he just goes off the deep end sometimes where it's clear he hasn't watched the program. Also as far as I can tell the only reason he loves Punk as much as he does is he thinks Punk hates the Bucks and Kenny as much as he does.

Last edited:

RavageX

Aew videogame news has hit. Overall it seems to be decent game that needs more polish, nothing a careful patch or two cant fix based off what ive seen.

Dthomp

Aew videogame news has hit. Overall it seems to be decent game that needs more polish, nothing a careful patch or two cant fix based off what ive seen.

I'm curious to know how the updates/patches are going to be for this since it sounded like there were tons of issues along development of this title and below average reviews are going to hurt sales. I truly hope they plan to do updates and such cause it really really needs more work. It's a fine first attempt, but that doesn't make me feel great about a Day 1 purchase that I gotta hope that they keep doing the work to make the game better.

AJUMP23

AEW Fight forever became Playable after Dynamite last night. But I don't know who won the match with Sting, after Sting looked like he knocked himself out.

I won a match last night, because Powerhouse Hobbs got stuck under the ring. Count out victory for me, 4 star match. I need to train and play against my kids.

Last edited:

NickFire

I'm guessing MJF roofies Adam Cole and gets pics of him in compromising positions as leverage to have him do MJF's bidding. Which could be funny.

MJF and Adam Cole are hilarious together. This angle better at least last through a tag championship match.

And Sting, I don't think he got knocked out, I think he was just trying to find a tooth or two. I'm pretty sure that's what security was doing after the fact at least.

C'mon guys ya can't position the tables a little closer to the ring for the Stinger?

dave_d

MJF and Adam Cole are hilarious together. This angle better at least last through a tag championship match.

And Sting, I don't think he got knocked out, I think he was just trying to find a tooth or two. I'm pretty sure that's what security was doing after the fact at least.

C'mon guys ya can't position the tables a little closer to the ring for the Stinger?

I guess they haven't noticed Sting wouldn't be able to clear a row of legos if they were in his way during the stinger splash.(Yeah, he can't jump like he used to.)

My life goal is to be half as athletic as the Stinger when I'm his age though.

I thought the Dynamite match was a lot better than the one at Forbidden Door. Maybe it's the lower expectations for a Wednesday night free television show.

NickFire

Tony needs to move on from Sting, and from Dark Order. They don’t belong in featured spots on flagship show. Not if ratings matter at least.

RavageX

Wrestling is about entertainment, but what kind? I personally find good matches that reflect a story being told over time, or matches that tell a story as it goes entertaining.

Promos...not at all. Quick interviews, sure. Backstage stuff...not so much. Crowd fighting...no.

Celebrities in wrestling, no.

These days it feels like everyone just throws stuff out there to see what people go crazy for a few days before they forget and move on.

High spot moves back to back early in a match, 5 or 6 unbelievable kickouts early in matches, weapons galore....its just no good to me.

NickFire

They had a chance to elevate LA Knight with a hot crowd that would have carried over into every crowd flipping its shit whenever his music hit while he had the briefcase. They could have turned already deafening boos into minor earthquakes whenever Dom came out after a cheap win over Cody.

They did neither. Absolute shame.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Collison is down to Rampage numbers in week 3. I really think they're stretching their brand having three shows. Especially on Saturday.

NickFire

Collison is down to Rampage numbers in week 3. I really think they're stretching their brand having three shows. Especially on Saturday.
They have the complete opposite problem of WWE. Where WWE seems reluctant to let many people shine very brightly, AEW seems to think everyone is a major star. Coupled with bad storytelling for most of the roster, and the end result is just watered down content for the sake of content.

Dthomp

They have the complete opposite problem of WWE. Where WWE seems reluctant to let many people shine very brightly, AEW seems to think everyone is a major star. Coupled with bad storytelling for most of the roster, and the end result is just watered down content for the sake of content.

For me as a viewer, I tuned into AEW for KENNY OMEGA! along with the Bucks, Hangman and I assumed an influx of unused GOOD WWE Talent (Black, Miro, Andrade) and that they'd be the main event scene. Instead we have a crap ton of 140 pound boys on every show every week. Jeff Hardy worked in WWE because there weren't 7 Jeff Hardys all on TV every week taking away from the stuff he did. They still have a roster that a good booker could do wonders with, hell give HHH this roster and watch the show he could put together. Problem is when you book like a fan instead of what's best for your company. Like you said, focus on a smaller list, ditch the stables of jobbers (JAS/QTV) Jonny TV and Hobbs don't need an army behind them.

Dthomp

Some of the best episodes got smaller amounts of viewers and ratings.

The real issue is scrawny wrestlers like Cassidy opening or closing episodes.

This has been my issue for the last year and a half, I get fans at the shows (hardcore fans with kids) pop for OCs music and gimmick, but viewers at home that tune in to see the beginning of the show are likely way less interested in watching fucking pockets beat a dude twice his size and twice as skilled in the ring. EVERY fucking Dynamite for the last year damn near starts with him, or has him involved in 2-3 segments of a two hour show, it's too much. And if you do get a week without him opening the show you can bet your ass it's another scrawny dude like Jungle Boy or Ricky Starks in that slot instead.

S0ULZB0URNE

OC is easily one of the best workers AEW has on their roster which is why you see him on TV every week. The guy can have a solid match with anyone and when he gets someone who is on his level he can often have the MOTN.

You can hate the gimmick but his skill level is undeniable.
Ratings will continue to fall with him opening or closing episodes.

His matches need to be towards the middle of the show.

Top Bottom