• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrath of the Lich King: Alpha leak compendium; title music suite, abilities, pictures

Ysiadmihi

Banned
ManaByte said:
I think Titan Grip is still a joke. No way will they put that in. It'll break PVP.

I wonder how it will be used. Will it mean a Warrior can dual wield two two-handed weapons, or one two-handed weapon and a shield? Either way sounds pretty awesome to me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The "character selection"-song is worse than TBC and much better than the original WoW song.

It's amazing none the less.

Hixx

That intro track is absolutely fantastic!

My account ran out the other day, but I'm tempted to renew just to have a shot at getting into the beta. I just hope WotLK has the atmosphere of 'vanilla' WoW and not Burning Crusade. I have my Alliance Paladin and my Troll Hunter waiting until whenever it's released now :(

Tempted to get my warrior to 70 too, but Outland is so boring...

Also, as much as I hate Blood Elves, they really suited the Death Knight armour in those shots.

burgerdog

Halycon said:
Day 1. Holy shit, my Druid will be riding a bear mount.

How awesome is that.

Why wait to get a bear until then when you could get a better one now? I only play wow for about 1 hour every 3 days now(which is to do za bear runs for friends) so I'm not sure if I want the expansion to hit soon :l Breaking free is awesome!

161edd.jpg

elseanio

I retired my WoW account because I'm unable to transfer my characters to a Euro server (where I live)

I'm tempted to jump back in and play a Death Knight.

burgerdog said:
Why wait to get a bear until then when you could get a better one now? I only play wow for about 1 hour every 3 days now(which is to do za bear runs for friends) so I'm not sure if I want the expansion to hit soon :l Breaking free is awesome!

161edd.jpg

What is this? Golden Compass?

I still have my own theories about their lore take on the mount restrictions. But I still think the discontinuation of the ZA bear mount is kind of lame. Why can't there be room for two different types of bear mounts?

Ariexv

bitterazngurl said:

I still have my own theories about their lore take on the mount restrictions. But I still think the discontinuation of the ZA bear mount is kind of lame. Why can't there be room for two different types of bear mounts?
I think it has less to due with lore restrictions and more to due with preventing lvl 80s from steam rolling ZA for the mount.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
bitterazngurl said:

Because then they'll have to retool ZA to make the bear harder for 80s to get than the WotLK bear mount, which they won't because they're lazy.

Darklord

Banned
Music is awesome, art design is wonderful too.

Shame it'll pretty much destory the last of the awesome story Wc3 had.

Jackl

They throw out tons of ideas for talents. Usually 90% of them don't make final build.

I am loving the fact everyone getting all kinds of ideas thrown into their class. But when you get to shaman and pallies blizz has 1 thing goin for them. Gotta throw QQ somewhere.

That said:

* Netherwind Presence - Gives your Arcane Missiles, Arcane Barrage, Arcane Blast, Fireball, Frostbolt and Frostfire Bolt spells a 1/2/3/4/5% chance to cause the next Arcane Blast, Fireball, Frostbolt or Frostfire Bolt to be instant.

There making them old tier2 set bonus a talent?

And WOO MIND ROT IS BACK YEA BABY.

The priest talents in general look pretty damn hot. More % modfiers for shadow, scary.

Oh well, hopefully closed beta invites will flow soon. So I can see how god awful and unfinished it is for myself. XD

J-Rzez

Excellent! I'll be all over this. I'm glad my Lock is getting some awesome abilities! I WILL roll an Undead/BE Deathknight as even their starting kit looks bad ass and their abilities are really intriguing.

Now, about my Rogue. Hopefully they bring back daggers. They need a spec where daggers specificially ignore more armor, and perhaps ambush/backstab causes severe bleed effects... Or give them an ability "Through the Heart" - You instantly plunge your blade through your opponents heart, killing them in one blow, they're then prompted to the WoW forums to QQ about you being OP. :lol

The music's not bad, hopefully it's an improvement across the boards.

Malfunky

I hope they add unique facial features for Death Knights or something. I want a gnome with goofy pink hair and death in his eyes. DEATH!

Also, I wonder if they have new hairstyles and whatever other cosmetic features they're planning in this build.

Tamanon

Banned
Malfunky said:
I hope they add unique facial features for Death Knights or something. I want a gnome with goofy pink hair and death in his eyes. DEATH!

Also, I wonder if they have new hairstyles and whatever other cosmetic features they're planning in this build.

I already see death in any gnome's eyes.

REMEMBER GNOMEREGAN!

Acidote

Shit, it looks like some warcraft vibe is recovered after all that high fantasy. Medieval is the way to go.

The main track reminds me Conan somehow :lol

Naka

Wow the intro music has a truly epic feel to it. This is the type of thing that gets me pumped up for the expansion.

J-Rzez

scoobs said:
lol no new talents or skills for rogues, how am i not surprised?

I'm sure they will. Afterall, they're making the most OP class in the game even better come expansion, look at the druid abilities.

Xiaoki

I have a 70 Demonology Warlock so the Demon Form talent is EXACTLY what I wanted.
Most bosses it is near impossible to keep your Felguard alive. But with the Ferocious Inspiration clone parties might actually want him out instead.
Also, turning the tier 5 2 piece set bonus into a talent was a nice touch.

Now, I have some hopes for my 70 Beast Mastery Hunter but I'll keep them in check because Blizzard hates Hunters.

Alex

Some stuff got added directly from Blizzard:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/features/deathknight/gameplay.xml

he fearsome death knight, World of Warcraft’s first Hero class, is not your average adventurer seeking to prove his or her worth on Azeroth’s fields of battle. No longer servants of the Lich King, they begin their new calling as experienced, formidable adversaries, heavily armed and armored and possessing an arsenal of deadly and forbidden magic learned in the Lich King’s thrall. Here is an introduction, subject to change, of some of the death knight’s core gameplay mechanics and abilities:

Unlocking and Creating the Death Knight
Simply have a character of at least level 55 on the World of Warcraft account you play, and you will be able to create a new level-55 death knight of any race (if on a PvP realm, the death knight must be the same faction as your existing character). Upon entering the world, your neophyte death knight will undertake a series of quests designed to teach you your new abilities. You will be able to create one death knight per realm, per account.

Class Roles

* Tank: The plate-wearing death knight is a capable tank for small groups as well as raids. His or her damage output while tanking will be respectable.
* DPS: The death knight can also spec and gear for a melee DPS role, which will draw upon many debilitating disease effects as well as direct damage and instant attacks.

Talent Trees
Death knight talent trees are complemented by Presences -- self-only auras that benefit the death knight. Selecting the matching Presence for each tree augments the class abilities for that school of magic.

* Blood: Talents in this tree focus on damage-dealing abilities. Blood Presence increases damage output by a percentage.
* Frost: Talents in this tree focus on tanking abilities. Frost Presence increases threat and lowers damage taken by a percentage.
* Unholy: Talents in this tree have a variety of functions including summons, diseases, and PvP-focused abilities. Unholy Presence increases attack speed and reduces the global cooldown on death knight abilities.

The Rune System
The resource mechanics for death knights are runes and runic power. A skilled death knight makes efficient, timely use of runes and runic power to maximize his or her damage-dealing or tanking abilities.

* Runes: Every death knight ability requires runes, which come in three varieties: blood, frost, and unholy. Depending on the ability, it may require runes of a single type or a combination of types. When a rune is used, it has a cooldown period before it can be used again. Death knights can customize which array of six runes to have available at a given time, which can aid their ability to perform certain roles. For example, a tanking death knight may wish to load his or her rune array with more Frost runes.
* Runic Power: As rune abilities are used, the death knight also generates another resource called runic power. The death knight will have certain abilities that consume all available runic power, with varying levels of effectiveness based on total runic power spent. Similar to a warrior’s rage, runic power decays over time if not spent.

Summoned Creatures
Creating minions from the ranks of the unliving is a core ability of the death knight.

* Raise Dead: The death knight can raise a ghoul companion from the corpses of fallen creatures, as well as those of both friendly and enemy players. If cast on a friendly player, that player will have the opportunity to actually play as the ghoul, controlling its movements and actions.
* Army of the Dead: This channeled spell raises a group of undead followers who will attack the death knight’s enemies but only exist very briefly before disintegrating.
* Summon Deathcharger: Every death knight can summon the level-40 version of a deathcharger land mount. At higher levels, they can complete a quest to learn the epic version.

Alex

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/features/gameplay/index.xml

Paradigm Shift: Dungeons and Raids in Wrath of the Lich King
Heroic dungeons were one of the most popular innovations of the previous expansion, so it’s no surprise Heroic mode will return in Wrath of the Lich King. Just as in The Burning Crusade, every five-person dungeon will have a Heroic variant that will present players with an added challenge and improved rewards.

One exciting new feature in Wrath of the Lich King is that all raid content will be available as either a 10- or 25-person dungeon with completely independent progression paths. Both the 10- and 25-person versions will be the same dungeon; the look, layout, and design of the dungeon will remain the same. However, each will be adjusted, tuned, and balanced for its respective player size.

In Wrath of the Lich King, players can expect both 10- and 25-person raid progression paths to get increasingly difficult as they adventure to their final battle with Arthas. This new gameplay mechanic will allow more players to enjoy the raid content of Wrath of the Lich King in their preferred play style. Because it takes more effort to get 25 people together than it does for 10, players who participate in the 25-person raid progression path will receive higher quality and more loot than those who play the 10-person versions.

In addition, players will never be required to attune in a 10-person raid to progress to a 25-person raid in the progression path. Raid lockouts are same-size as well, so joining a 25-person raid for a dungeon will not lock a player out from the 10-person version of the same dungeon. This freedom of choice between raid-progression paths will let personal preference play a much bigger role in how players experience the raid content of Wrath of the Lich King.

New Quest Mechanics
The quest designers are hard at work to make sure that the road to level 80 will be paved with quests unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. The Burning Crusade innovated with bombing runs and daily quests, and Wrath of the Lich King will continue this trend with still more unique and varied adventures to undertake.

Just one example of the new mechanics you can expect from the expansion is the new vehicle-based content, which puts an interesting spin on some of the concepts originally developed for PvP siege gameplay. Certain types of vehicles and mounts can now carry passengers, making it possible for players to, for example, break a prisoner out of a tightly guarded compound by attempting a daring escape on horseback. While the NPC steers the horse, the player lobs explosives at a pack of pursuing worgen. In another quest, the roles are reversed as the player takes to the skies in a flying machine to track down and rescue survivors of a catastrophic event. Even beyond the ability for vehicles to hold passengers, Wrath of the Lich King introduces an aerial combat system that will add a new dimension to gameplay.

HooYaH

Alex said:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/features/gameplay/index.xml

Paradigm Shift: Dungeons and Raids in Wrath of the Lich King
Heroic dungeons were one of the most popular innovations of the previous expansion, so it’s no surprise Heroic mode will return in Wrath of the Lich King. Just as in The Burning Crusade, every five-person dungeon will have a Heroic variant that will present players with an added challenge and improved rewards.

One exciting new feature in Wrath of the Lich King is that all raid content will be available as either a 10- or 25-person dungeon with completely independent progression paths. Both the 10- and 25-person versions will be the same dungeon; the look, layout, and design of the dungeon will remain the same. However, each will be adjusted, tuned, and balanced for its respective player size.

In Wrath of the Lich King, players can expect both 10- and 25-person raid progression paths to get increasingly difficult as they adventure to their final battle with Arthas. This new gameplay mechanic will allow more players to enjoy the raid content of Wrath of the Lich King in their preferred play style. Because it takes more effort to get 25 people together than it does for 10, players who participate in the 25-person raid progression path will receive higher quality and more loot than those who play the 10-person versions.

In addition, players will never be required to attune in a 10-person raid to progress to a 25-person raid in the progression path. Raid lockouts are same-size as well, so joining a 25-person raid for a dungeon will not lock a player out from the 10-person version of the same dungeon. This freedom of choice between raid-progression paths will let personal preference play a much bigger role in how players experience the raid content of Wrath of the Lich King.

New Quest Mechanics
The quest designers are hard at work to make sure that the road to level 80 will be paved with quests unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. The Burning Crusade innovated with bombing runs and daily quests, and Wrath of the Lich King will continue this trend with still more unique and varied adventures to undertake.

Just one example of the new mechanics you can expect from the expansion is the new vehicle-based content, which puts an interesting spin on some of the concepts originally developed for PvP siege gameplay. Certain types of vehicles and mounts can now carry passengers, making it possible for players to, for example, break a prisoner out of a tightly guarded compound by attempting a daring escape on horseback. While the NPC steers the horse, the player lobs explosives at a pack of pursuing worgen. In another quest, the roles are reversed as the player takes to the skies in a flying machine to track down and rescue survivors of a catastrophic event. Even beyond the ability for vehicles to hold passengers, Wrath of the Lich King introduces an aerial combat system that will add a new dimension to gameplay.

For anyone who plays WoW, we all know that the boars are the true enemy in WoW.

border

For those of you wondering how Blizzard can enforce an NDA against websites, here's how:

http://www.wcradio.com/news_archive.php?news_id=664

We will not be discussing or posting leaked information from the Wrath of the Lich King Friends and Family alpha. We, along with other major fansites received an email from Blizzard's PR department yesterday, which stated that those interested in attending Blizzcon in a press capacity, would be required to do their part by prohibiting NDA'd information on their websites.

I'm a little shocked at how quickly independent fan sites have decided to become Blizzard's lapdogs on this one. At best they'll get to go to Blizzcon for free, but it's not like they were ever going to get exclusive interviews or media anyway. You might as well say "Fuck it", and publish the leaked information so that you'll have a way to compete with the large media outlets that will have to comply with Blizzard edicts.

Fina1e

Those Rogue and Warlock talents have to be fake. Look at Shadow Slash, ranged DPS will never be able to get range on a Rogue, and Metamorphosis is the most imbalanced skill I have ever seen.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
HooYaH said:
For anyone who plays WoW, we all know that the boars are the true enemy in WoW.
Melee return damage is the most retarded thing ever.

Pretty sure Wrath of the Lich King will draw me back in, and I'll definitely be playing a Death Knight (Maybe leveling my Shaman on the side later), but I'm pretty sure it will also be my last hurrah with WoW. To me, Arthas, the Lich King and all of this story is the pinnacle of WarCraft lore, and there may be some cool stuff to come later, but to me, WotLK will be the pinnacle. And I can't wait to play my Death Knight:D

Wes

venison crêpe
The things that excite me the most so far is the Stormwind Harbour and New Battleground minimaps :lol

I need to get out more.

J-Rzez

Hmmm, Undead or BE Death Knight. That's the question for me. WotF is nice as well as the BE aoe silence. Guess it's going to come down to what core stats are priority.

Tamanon

Banned
border said:
For those of you wondering how Blizzard can enforce an NDA against websites, here's how:

http://www.wcradio.com/news_archive.php?news_id=664

We will not be discussing or posting leaked information from the Wrath of the Lich King Friends and Family alpha. We, along with other major fansites received an email from Blizzard's PR department yesterday, which stated that those interested in attending Blizzcon in a press capacity, would be required to do their part by prohibiting NDA'd information on their websites.

I'm a little shocked at how quickly independent fan sites have decided to become Blizzard's lapdogs on this one. At best they'll get to go to Blizzcon for free, but it's not like they were ever going to get exclusive interviews or media anyway. You might as well say "Fuck it", and publish the leaked information so that you'll have a way to compete with the large media outlets that will have to comply with Blizzard edicts.

I think some of the websites also don't want to be frozen out of future leaks from Blizzard themselves.

witness

I fail to see how that one new Pally talent is any good. No reason a holy pally would use it, Ret shouldn't need it either unless a healer grabs aggro which would be not bloody likely, and prot. pally's are beast's at keeping aggro with AoE tanking, so again blizzard...WTF at that talent!?

Oh and Blood Elf DK's look pretty damn awesome. Will for sure roll a few different ones.

Top Bottom