• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wreck-It Ralph first pics (Disney movie based on video games)

DonMigs85

2qhF1.png

Lol

KevinCow

Banned
Purple Rhino =
ibmBKBCFYuJJ4t.jpg

Yeah, in the game he's your protagonist. Actually, you can construct your own cyborg using different parts, and the 'saw hand' is one of the options they give you.

Cyborg+Justice+%28W%29+%5B!%5D001.jpg

It might not actually supposed to be him, but it sure does look like him.

Yeah, for people who haven't figured it out yet, the zombie is Cyril, a boss from House of the Dead.

hotd.jpg

Also, a playable mini-game based off of the movie:
http://disney.go.com/games/play3/?content=2006061

Wow, those are some wonderfully obscure references.

I think I'll also agree that the green thing is more a Beholder than Shuma-Gorath. Shuma doesn't have eyes on his tentacles.

The dark elf chick looks really familiar, but I can't really place her. My first thought was the Dark Queen from Battletoads... but no, she doesn't have the pointy ears.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Well....
In the SF movies Zangief tends to be on Shadowloo's side.
He's not really evil or anything but he's still a bad-guy.

It's more obviously called out in the live action movie:

He was played by Andrew Bryniarski in the Street Fighter movie. Here, he was a lackey of Bison's and served as comic relief in the movie, uttering silly lines at inappropriate times (for example, after seeing televised feed of a truck loaded with explosives about to crash into the villains' camp, he yells out "Quick! Change the channel!"). He also had a long fight with E. Honda and one "hero moment" near the end of the movie. Zangief was also a loyalist to Bison until Dee Jay explained Bison was the "bad guy." Zangief then learned that Bison promised Dee Jay that he would be paid, while he himself was not.

I am so incredibly sick of hearing that "I get a good feeling, yeah" song.

I don't even think it's the worst thing in the world, but it's on the Radio NON-STOP.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well....
In the SF movies Zangief tends to be on Shadowloo's side.
He's not really evil or anything but he's still a bad-guy.

No he isn't. In 2, the only bad guys are the bosses. And most of the characters keep those alignments throughout the games. Unless by bad you mean communist.

Robotinick, Altered Beast, Cyber Justice and House of the Dead ??????

Holy SEGA !

I remember reading somewhere a while back that Sega gave Disney permission to use whatever characters they wanted from their stable.

I wonder if we will see any Square-Enix characters? Given that they make the Kingdom Hearts series.

Also, they clearly have rights to use Nintendo characters (Or at least the Mario related ones), as well as Capcom characters.... and the entire Midway back catalog...

I wonder what other rights they have access to?

I also see a colonel Roy Campbell (Metal Gear Solid) look alike in the trailer. But I wonder if that is the actual character?
cournal.png

Platy

PFSv0.gif

+
bc8j5.jpg

=
NMrls.jpg

Vd5k3.jpg

Any doubts ?

I remember reading somewhere a while back that Sega gave Disney permission to use whatever characters they wanted from their stable.

I wonder if we will see any Square-Enix characters? Given that they make the Kingdom Hearts series.

Also, they clearly have rights to use Nintendo characters (Or at least the Mario related ones), as well as Capcom characters.... and the entire Midway back catalog...

I also see a colonel Roy Campbell (Metal Gear Solid) look alike in the trailer. But I wonder if that is the actual character?
cournal.png

Awesome !

And that Roy Campbell looks more like this Roy Campbell =P

Game Guru

Well, thinking of this logicially, Disney would likely prefer to secure cameos from characters from arcade games, considering the setting is an arcade. Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Namco, and Midway are all the major companies who were arcade game makers at any point save for Atari, and all of which have confirmed cameos of their characters.

One of the games in Game Central Station is Data East's Burgertime, and I think the big sun wearing pants in the background is a Data East character, so Data East is probably on board with this as well. In addition, Konami might've also agreed to have cameos since another of the games in Game Central Station is listed as "Dance Rev," which might indicate Dance Dance Revolution. Q*Bert, I think, is owned by Sony.

Triton55

So wait, if the train station is in the arcade's surge protector, then how did Bowser, Robotnik, and everyone else all get there?

DonMigs85

So wait, if the train station is in the arcade's surge protector, then how did Bowser, Robotnik, and everyone else all get there?

Good question. Super Mario Bros. was also an arcade title, but that doesn't explain WoW dark elf or Robotnik (Unless this Robotnik came from Sonic the Fighters or some other Sonic arcade game).

Bizazedo

At Dave & Busters, I saw arcade versions of Mario Kart.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that there was something Sonic related at some point + a lot of arcades are just using 360's / PS3's these days (yo Next Level, New York).

Also, who cares, it's just a fun kids movie we'll all go see :).

Odrion

Banned
I really hope one of the messages in this movie is that modern games are creatively bankrupt.

I'm kinda getting that vibe.

At Dave & Busters, I saw arcade versions of Mario Kart.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that there was something Sonic related at some point + a lot of arcades are just using 360's / PS3's these days (yo Next Level, New York).

Also, who cares, it's just a fun kids movie we'll all go see :).

Is that even legal?

I've seen a lot of people speculating about the videogame adaptation, which is what usually happens with Pixar films.

I'll bet anything that if we do see a game of this, every actual videogame character will be removed. The only systems that would stand even a remote chance of seeing them remain intact are the Wii U and 3DS, as Nintendo are the only first-party represented (from what we've seen). But I still don't see it happening.

Loxley

First thing I noticed were the excellent facial animations, which isn't all too surprising since it's the same team that did Tangled. But man, I'd never even heard of this before and now it's already on my must-see list for this year. I think it's awesome they stright-up put actual video game characters in the movie and not just carbon copies that elude to real characters, sort of how Pixar actually put Barbie in the Toy Story trilogy and not a Barbie knock-off.

This definitely has a ton of potential, and the trailer shows (at least a little) that the guys who wrote it are definitely fans.

And:

:(

I've seen a lot of people speculating about the videogame adaptation, which is what usually happens with Pixar films.

I'll bet anything that if we do see a game of this, every actual videogame character will be removed. The only systems that would stand even a remote chance of seeing them remain intact are the Wii U and 3DS, as Nintendo are the only first-party represented (from what we've seen). But I still don't see it happening.

The only videogame adaption I can see from this movie will be the actual arcade game Disney has bult being released on WiiWare/XBLA/PSN. Maybe some of the other original games in that movie too (Sugar Rush and Hero's Duty could very well be released as standalone retail games).

I wouldn't count on an actual videogame adaptation for this movie because of licensing problems for all the videogame characters (at least the Nintendo characters (of which we have only seen Bowser yet. The other ones may be less of a problem).

Or maybe Sega will be developing the adaption? I can see that, since they seem to have the most character cameos in that movie.

I think it's awesome they stright-up put actual video game characters in the movie and not just carbon copies that elude to real characters, sort of how Pixar actually put Barbie in the Toy Story trilogy and not a Barbie knock-off.
Bo Peep was actually created for the first Toy Story because Mattel didn't want to give Pixar the license to use Barbie in their movie.
So basically Woody was to date a Barbie doll instead of "Nondescript Porcellain Figure" :p

The "bad guy" reference with Zangief is from the Street Fighter Movie.

He was played by Andrew Bryniarski in the Street Fighter movie. Here, he was a lackey of Bison's and served as comic relief in the movie, uttering silly lines at inappropriate times (for example, after seeing televised feed of a truck loaded with explosives about to crash into the villains' camp, he yells out "Quick! Change the channel!"). He also had a long fight with E. Honda and one "hero moment" near the end of the movie. Zangief was also a loyalist to Bison until Dee Jay explained Bison was the "bad guy." Zangief then learned that Bison promised Dee Jay that he would be paid, while he himself was not.

Linkified

I doubt we will see any home console characters but insteasd all characters who were in arcade games, seen as they want to do sequels - they ain't blowing their whole thing on this movi, we just gotta hope it is at least half as succesful as Toy Story franchise.

But talking arcade games and references I want to see Amigo in it shaking his pair of maraca.

Bowser was in Vs. Super Mario Bros which was an arcade game
Robotnik was in SegaSonic the Hedgehog which is another arcade game.

The only one that makes no sense is Saw-Hand from Cyborg Justice as to my knowledge there was no arcadeversion to my knowledge, all the rest can be explained away as having arcade games, ala the 2 above.

Game Guru

I doubt we will see any home console characters but insteasd all characters who were in arcade games, seen as they want to do sequels - they ain't blowing their whole thing on this movi, we just gotta hope it is at least half as succesful as Toy Story franchise.

But talking arcade games and references I want to see Amigo in it shaking his pair of maraca.

Bowser was in Vs. Super Mario Bros which was an arcade game
Robotnik was in SegaSonic the Hedgehog which is another arcade game.

The only one that makes no sense is Saw-Hand from Cyborg Justice as to my knowledge there was no arcadeversion to my knowledge, all the rest can be explained away as having arcade games, ala the 2 above.

Actually, it's possible that the arcade has a working Playchoice and Mega-Tech/Mega-Play, which were arcade systems that played NES, Master System, and Mega Drive games. There was also the Nintendo Super System which gave arcades SNES games, so NES, SNES, Master System, and Genesis cameos actually have possible justification.

Campbell is white. That is a black man.

Yeah I noticed the second time around. But he was definitly injspired by the Col. Trautman (Rambo movies) / Col. Campbell archetypes seen in games.

And that Roy Campbell looks more like this Roy Campbell =P

Intentional? :p

I can't see all 9 showing up. The Heavy maybe.

That would be great if they could get some Valve characters in there. Though the Heavy would be a bit too much of a character overlap with Zangief. Since they both fall under Russian stereotypes.

Well, thinking of this logicially, Disney would likely prefer to secure cameos from characters from arcade games, considering the setting is an arcade. Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Namco, and Midway are all the major companies who were arcade game makers at any point save for Atari, and all of which have confirmed cameos of their characters.

One of the games in Game Central Station is Data East's Burgertime, and I think the big sun wearing pants in the background is a Data East character, so Data East is probably on board with this as well. In addition, Konami might've also agreed to have cameos since another of the games in Game Central Station is listed as "Dance Rev," which might indicate Dance Dance Revolution. Q*Bert, I think, is owned by Sony.

Ah. I would at least expect to see a Frogger reference in there, Konami owns Frogger, don't they? But the Movie seems to suggest that the characters can cross rift between the console and arcade realms. The generic Mario Kart clone and the First Person Shooter thing look like console games.

Linkified

Ah. I would at least expect to see a Frogger reference in there, Konami owns Frogger, don't they? But the Movie seems to suggest that the characters can cross rift between the console and arcade realms. The generic Mario Kart clone and the First Person Shooter thing look like console games.

Well seen as the FPS thing I think is supposed to be Disneys take on a lightgun game and well racers have been part of arcades for a long time it makes sense :p

I doubt we will see characters from console only games, Disney needs something for their sequel.

Game Guru

Indeed, Konami owns Frogger, Gradius, and Contra as far as arcade games go. There could also be Castlevania references as the series had an arcade game. However, I would not hold my breath for Snake appearing.

Though the comment about Space Invaders did remind me that Square Enix owns Taito's catalog, which includes Space Invaders, so it's likely that Disney did talk to Square Enix at some point in the hopes to license Taito's catalog, but I do not see a Taito character there, so Square Enix may've declined. Naturally, this also gives Square Enix an 'out' if they were to ever use a Wreck-It Ralph world in Kingdom Hearts as they could theoretically populate said world with classic Taito characters.

Well seen as the FPS thing I think is supposed to be Disneys take on a lightgun game and well racers have been part of arcades for a long time it makes sense :p

I doubt we will see characters from console only games, Disney needs something for their sequel.

Yeah, the few images we see of the cabinet for Hero's Duty show it to be in fact a lightgun game. Remember that light gun games and FPS's do share similar motifs, after all. Sugar Rush is more than likely a '90s cutesy racing game cabinet.

Zangief may not be a villain, but seeing as that incorrect distinction is the reason he's present at all, I honestly don't give a shit. Zangief rules.

Top Bottom