• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestle Kingdom VIII |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Loved every minute of that match, Goto & Shibata are amazing.

itJjGPZcDKKHn.gif

This is some One Piece headbutt shit.

Wish I had woken up earlier, then I would have bought it as well.

Fantastic show! The VOD replay is now available :)

New Japan announced they had 35,000 paid in attendance today, that's 6k up from last year's Dome show.

Still trying to decide on my favourite matches from the show, but I think Tana vs Nakamura just about takes it. Goto vs Shibata was as brutal as we all knew it would be, probably my favourite of their 4 encounters so far. Okada vs Naito had an excellent second half, but much of the 1st half felt a bit aimless. Also, Ibushi vs Devitt was good, but the Bullet Club stuff and Ibushi underselling some pretty big offence may annoy some.

Ithil

NJPW are definitely showing they are growing as a business, up in attendance this year, and now with a show in Taiwan and the G1 Climax as another Dome show.

Bruce Tharpe-des is angry;

ibaYxtsCOV65vA.gif

*edit, Nakamura and his entourage;

ib1Rg5Fl75cStv.jpg

NJPW are definitely showing they are growing as a business, up in attendance this year, and now with a show in Taiwan and the G1 Climax as another Dome show.

Plus, there's the Yokohama Arena show in May, which is the first time New Japan have returned to that building in years, and the New Beginning show in February is actually two shows this year. I think I read a month or so ago that they'd doubled their merchandise revenue in 2013 as well, so things are looking pretty bright for New Japan at the moment.

Nisa65

Not long back and thoroughly enjoyed it. The last four matches were all great. I think The Ibushi/Devitt match was probably the most fun to watch with Nakamura/Tanahashi coming a close second. The crowd were pretty split for the last two matches. Naito got some brief boos but he was getting just as many cheers as Okada during their match.

Took some photos.

As well as some footage of Naito and Okada's entrances.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVVe3OuJaz4

Awesome shots, looks like you had a great view - I enjoyed the Ibushi vs Devitt match, but preferred Goto vs Shibata, which was just a ridiculous, hard-hitting bout. Naito acting like a heel briefly against Okada was a real weird portion of the match, took me out of it somewhat and drew a few boos from the crowd. Great performances from everyone on the second half of the show, though.

I'd probably rate it a bit lower than last year's Wrestle Kingdom in terms of overall quality, but the second half alone makes this a must watch. Loved all the crazy entrances this year as well.

Funny you should post that, sportsnavi.jp just put up their photo sets from the show;

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/photo/fight/

ibhLxA9eEojs4v.jpg

Also, here's the schedule for the year so far;

. 2014.02.09 - The New Beginning in Hiroshima - Sun Plaza, Hiroshima
. 2014.02.11 - The New Beginning in Osaka - BODYMAKER Colosseum, Osaka
. 2014.03.06 - Anniversary Show - Ota Ward Gymnasium, Tokyo
. 2014.04.06 - Invasion Attack 2014 - Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo
. 2014.04.12 - Wrestling World - Night 1 - National University Sports Center, Taiwan
. 2014.04.13 - Wrestling World - Night 2 - National University Sports Center, Taiwan
. 2014.05.03 - Wrestling Dontaku 2014 - International Center, Fukuoka
. 2014.05.25 - Back to Yokohama Arena - Yokohama Arena
. 2014.06.08 - Best of the Super Jr's XXI - FINAL - National Stadium Gymnasium, Yoyogi
. 2014.06.21 - DOMINION 6.21 - BODYMAKER Colosseum, Osaka
. 2014.07.21 - G1 CLIMAX 2014 - Opening Night - Prefectural Sports Center, Hokkaido
. 2014.08.10 - G1 CLIMAX 2013 - FINALS - Seibu Dome, Tokorozawa

Most of those will be iPPVs, although the Anniversary Show may not be (there will likely be a New Japan Cup tour that month, as well) and not sure if the two Taiwan shows will be. Also, no word on whether we'll get the full G1 again or the full Best of the Super Jr's, but I hope so.

I'm getting crazy vibes from that Devitt get-up.

Damn, if only the Philippines weren't in that "thing" with Taiwan a few months back I'd definitely go to the NJPW shows there.

I had it:
Goto vs Shibata
Nakamura vs Tanahashi
Devitt vs Ibushi
Okada vs Naito

Naito does nothing for me and the guys didn't mesh well in this match, IMO. I know it's not Shibata's time yet (if ever, considering the politics of it), but I really want to see Nakamura vs Shibata.

Some people seem convinced that it's not Mikami/Namajague playing El Desperado - they say he's too small. I've seen mention of Kenbai from M-Pro and Takuya Sugi, AKA Yoshitsune, AKA El Blazer. Either way, he made his debut a little while ago, teaming with Jushin Liger to take on BUSHI & Ibushi - the guy writing the live report was certain it was Mikami, though, so other's are probably just being dumb;

"It's Mikami/Namajague. His first act was to Tope con Giro onto Ibushi and went straight into the crowd dropkicking a middle aged lady in the face. It was amazing."

Also, Ryusuke Taguchi made his return and said he'll be back in the ring come February and, regardless of the fact that he's no longer Jr. Champion, Taguchi's got his sights set firmly on Devitt.

Nah, I can't see Conway losing both his titles in two days - however, it would be a good way to get Tenzan back to the US for a defence. He was meant to face KES for the titles in Houston last year, but Kojima's injury meant Liger had to take his place and so the belts weren't on the line.

So what does this mean for Devitt? besides the rematch of course.

C'mon Regal do your magic and get this guy on Monday Nights!

Ew. Go away.

I'm glad Nakamura is main eventing and errthang, but Tanahashi totes Cena'd Okada and his title.

Nothing to do with Tanahashi, Nakamura or Okada, Naito simply wasn't over enough to be taken as a serious challenger. Hard to disagree with when his run since returning from injury hasn't been anything special, G1 win aside. Gedo and Jado are by far the best bookers in wrestling (the others aren't even remotely close) but he was definitely a miss.

Anyway, finished watching the show and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not as good as last years show but the fact that I'm even making that comparison says a lot, given that Wrestle Kingdom 7 was the best wrestling show I've ever seen.

Love that they upped the crazy entrances from last year (though Low Ki as Hitman last year was completely unplanned). Devitt's getup in particular was incredible.

As for the matches, I'd probably rank them:
Goto vs Shibata
Nakamura vs Tanahashi
Okada vs Naito
Devitt vs Ibushi

Oh and
fuck the Young Bucks.

Re-watched Okada vs Naito, I think I like it more the 2nd time around - it definitely feels a bit off in the outset, but they really bring it in the second half. One aspect I really appreciated was Okada countering Naito's Rainmaker counter...

Naito used the counter on Okada at the Road to Tokyo Dome show on December 23rd;

iuNhRt1l1p9q2.gif

But when he tried it at the Tokyo Dome last night, Okada was ready, caught him and hauled him up into the tombstone;

ibxGJGOEo9MKET.gif

Hex

Banned
If Nakamura was not already the greatest, then this would easily swing him there.
I do not care that he lost

tm24

Some people seem convinced that it's not Mikami/Namajague playing El Desperado - they say he's too small. I've seen mention of Kenbai from M-Pro and Takuya Sugi, AKA Yoshitsune, AKA El Blazer. Either way, he made his debut a little while ago, teaming with Jushin Liger to take on BUSHI & Ibushi - the guy writing the live report was certain it was Mikami, though, so other's are probably just being dumb;

"It's Mikami/Namajague. His first act was to Tope con Giro onto Ibushi and went straight into the crowd dropkicking a middle aged lady in the face. It was amazing."

Yeah, i thought he was small too, then i realized Ibushi is tall as fuck and makes heavyweights look small.

The lengths some people were going to was pretty funny, though - on one board they were comparing nipples to try and figure out if it was Mikami or not, lol.

Can't wait until his debut match surfaces - it shouldn't be too long, hopefully, a day or two if some IPTV capper managed to grab it, anything from a week or two if not.

tm24

The lengths some people were going to was pretty funny, though - on one board they were comparing nipples to try and figure out if it was Mikami or not, lol.

Can't wait until his debut match surfaces - it shouldn't be too long, hopefully, a day or two if some IPTV capper managed to grab it, anything from a week or two if not.

Well, his chest is how i figured it was definitely Namajague, so not that weird

Also, here's the schedule for the year so far;

. 2014.02.09 - The New Beginning in Hiroshima - Sun Plaza, Hiroshima
. 2014.02.11 - The New Beginning in Osaka - BODYMAKER Colosseum, Osaka
. 2014.03.06 - Anniversary Show - Ota Ward Gymnasium, Tokyo
. 2014.04.06 - Invasion Attack 2014 - Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo
. 2014.04.12 - Wrestling World - Night 1 - National University Sports Center, Taiwan
. 2014.04.13 - Wrestling World - Night 2 - National University Sports Center, Taiwan
. 2014.05.03 - Wrestling Dontaku 2014 - International Center, Fukuoka
. 2014.05.25 - Back to Yokohama Arena - Yokohama Arena
. 2014.06.08 - Best of the Super Jr's XXI - FINAL - National Stadium Gymnasium, Yoyogi
. 2014.06.21 - DOMINION 6.21 - BODYMAKER Colosseum, Osaka
. 2014.07.21 - G1 CLIMAX 2014 - Opening Night - Prefectural Sports Center, Hokkaido
. 2014.08.10 - G1 CLIMAX 2013 - FINALS - Seibu Dome, Tokorozawa

Its cool to see NJPW run some new stadiums. Hopefully some of these fans will check out promotions like NOAH and DDT that could use some more support.

liger05

Just watching the show now.

Going by what I read I expected way worse for the Saku & Nagata v Gracie's match.

Dont want to see a rematch but fear this will happen due to the finish. Well actually I could handle a rematch if they just got the Gracie boys in the Dojo and so they could at least work somewhat.

ghostmind

The cards for the NEW BEGINNING events have been announced:

THE NEW BEGINNING in HIROSHIMA
2014/02/09

Tanahashi vs. Nakamura (IC title)
Gallows & Anderson vs. Smith Jr. & Archer (HW tag titles)
Shibata & Goto vs. YOSHI-HASHI & Okada
Timesplitters, Taguchi, Makabe vs. Young Bucks, Fale, Devitt
Honma & Naito vs. Takahashi & Ishii
Kojima vs. Big Daddy YumYum (NWA HW title)
Tenzan vs. Tarver
Sakuraba & Nagata vs. Iizuka & Yano
Suzuki vs. Tonga
BUSHI & Ibushi vs. Liger & El Desperado

THE NEW BEGINNING in OSAKA
2014/02/11

Okada vs. Goto (HW title)
Naito vs. Ishii (NEVER title)
Ibushi vs. El Desperado (Jr. HW title)
Liger & Tanahashi vs. Takahashi & Nakamura
Sakuraba & Nagata vs. The Gracies
Kojima & Tenzan vs. Tarver & Big Daddy YumYum (NWA tag #1 contender)
Taguchi & Makabe vs. Fale & Devitt
Smith Jr., Archer, Suzuki vs. Tonga, Gallows, Anderson
Shibata vs. YOSHI-HASHI
Young Bucks vs. Timesplitters (Jr. tag titles)

I've been watching this fed lately. Started off nice, but why are 99% of matches now tag-team spot fests?

What a waste of talent.

I've been watching this fed lately. Started off nice, but why are 99% of matches now tag-team spot fests?

What a waste of talent.

Japan loves it's tag matches and you really won't often get important singles matches outside of the big monthly shows. They use the tag matches on the smaller shows to build up the hype for the big shows.

For instance, the Road to Invasion Attack show tomorrow has mostly tag matches (and a throwaway Jr. heavyweight title defence), while the big Invasion Attack show itself on Sunday has two singles title defences, three tag title defences and a loser leaves NJPW singles match.

So yeah, just stick to the big shows if you aren't a fan of the tag-heavy cards. Here's the card for Sunday's iPPV;

NJPW, "INVASION ATTACK", 2014.04.06
Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

16:00 Japan | 09:00 EU | 08:00 UK | 03:00 East Coast | 02:00 Central | 00:00 West Coast

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) (c) vs Kota Ibushi & El Desperado
2. Yuji Nagata, Kazushi Sakuraba & Togi Makabe vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
3. NWA World Tag Titles: Rob Conway & Jax Dane (c) vs TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima)
4. CHAOS (Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka) vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
5. Loser Leaves New Japan: Ryusuke Taguchi vs Prince Devitt
6. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI) vs Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga)
7. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs Tetsuya Naito
8. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) (c) vs Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Shinsuke Nakamura

Welp, it's looking pretty likely he'll be in WWE in a few months, so....

New Japan have signed
AJ Styles
as a replacement though and he's supposedly getting a big push, but whether that's as a jr. or as a heavyweight isn't clear.

Welp, it's looking pretty likely he'll be in WWE in a few months, so....

New Japan have signed
AJ Styles
as a replacement though and he's supposedly getting a big push, but whether that's as a jr. or as a heavyweight isn't clear.
TWB46.gif

I...I don't like any of that.

:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom