• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 32 |OT| OHHH! Written in the Stars! A Million Miles Awaaaaaay........

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwimpy

What would a heel Cena even look like in 2016? Going back to his white rapper gimmick? Cena is fine as is. Just give him back the US Title and have him continue the Open Challenge. That was one of the best gimmicks in a long time.

mreddie

What would a heel Cena even look like in 2016? Going back to his white rapper gimmick? Cena is fine as is. Just give him back the US Title and have him continue the Open Challenge. That was one of the best gimmicks in a long time.

Corporate Stooge. Then again, the authority would have to be around...and we are reaching year 4 of them

I do like how the Cena US open challenge is basically everything people complained about Cena for years but so long as it's in the mid-card it's OK.

TheFuzz

I do like how the Cena US open challenge is basically everything people complained about Cena for years but so long as it's in the mid-card it's OK.

Putting more effort into matches and actually having better results has just a TINY bit to do with it being "OK."

Putting more effort into matches and actually having better results has just a TINY bit to do with it being "OK."

Cena had been doing great work for awhile before the US open challenge. The whole program ultimately did nothing for the title or the mid-carders contending for it. That's not Cena's fault, though.

Is the Smackdown tonight just going to be a WM preview show?

Mostly. WWE filmed a few things before RAW that they can jam in between the video package stuff.

These were:

* The Social Outcasts come out to the ring for a promo

* AJ Styles defeated Heath Slater with a Phenomenal Forearm

* D-Von Dudley defeated Jimmy Uso

* Dean Ambrose defeated Erick Rowan with Dirty Deeds in the main event. Rowan was out by himself with no one else from The Wyatt Family

iMax

Reigns winning as a heel - totally viable - then this guy's music hitting, and a stare down? Money. Maybe not actual money, but Vince might see this as the best possible chance at money for the coming year.

Goddamn.

Babyface Cena vs Heel Reigns?

The smarks will implode.

sora87

Cena could just finally "snap" at the constant crowd abuse and go down the "i don't need you any more" route attacking fan favorites and enjoying his heel status

Striker

Pretty much, throw in random Canadian Destroyers and springboard stunners to appease the movez lovers. Are you not entertained?

LycanXIII

I see Cena getting cheers from a vast majority whenever he returns, just because of how shit the content has been without him.

UiOTpQP.png

WRESTLEMANIA VII - 1991

Main Event: Hulk Hogan vs. Sgt. Slaughter (c) (with General Adnan) for the WWF Championship

It's clear Hogan knows works best when the circumstances are absolutely goofy like with Warrior last year and Slaughter here. Otherwise, you get these great stories like with Andre and Savage that are ruined because Hogan just doesn't work well in those contexts. In this case, it also helps to stomach the Hogan stuff when his opponents are lame. Like, come on, Savage and Andre are way cooler than Hogan, so seeing them fall victim to that usual stuff is not fun. But King Kong Bundy? Slaughter? Let them get destroyed. Funnily enough, Slaughter kicks out right after 3, just like Hogan did last year in his match with Warrior.

pKVPXHi.gif

HyL7MKT.gif

dyqJHlR.gif

I give this 2.5 WrestleMania Star stars out of 5.

WRESTLEMANIA VIII - 1992

Main Event: Hulk Hogan vs. Sid Justice (with Harvey Wippleman)

Almost to disprove my point I just made from the match above, this should be an awesome match since Sid is fucking crazy but this is the worst main event so far. For the first time in Mania history, Hogan is the sane one. They even play a sit-down interview where he acts... human. He talks normal and introspective. Sid on the other hand is shouting "I CURSE YOU!" This should be AWESOME. Sid should be wrecking him all match like Lesnar did to Cena at SummerSlam. But... nah. It's the same shit as usual, except even worse because it ends in DQ. I guess Sid was protected because he kicked out of the leg drop (first time to happen at Mania) but it just doesn't matter. Awful.

krc3nWm.gif

zxV2fp6.gif

I give this half a WrestleMania Star star out of 5.

WRESTLEMANIA IX - 1993

Main Event: Yokozuna (with Mr. Fuji) vs. Bret Hart (c) for the WWF Championship

Surprise Main Event: Hulk Hogan vs. Yokozuna (c) (with Mr. Fuji) for the WWF Championship

No real story for the most part other than the size difference, which is fine but maybe not enough for a real compelling main event to Mania. Then, of course, Hogan comes in and ruins everything. Here is the entire match in gif-form.

h7IK3PR.gif

Bret Hart match gets 2 WrestleMania Star stars out of 5
Hogan match gets NOTHING

Updated rankings and ratings

6 - Warrior vs Hogan - 3.5/5
3 - Hogan vs. Andre - 3/5
5 - Hogan vs. Savage - 3/5
7 - Hogan vs. Slaughter 2.5/5
4 - Savage vs. DiBiase - 2.5/5
1 - Hogan/Mr. T vs. Piper/Orndorff - 2.5/5
9 - Bret Hart vs. Yokozuna - 2/5
2 - Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy - 1.5/5
8 - Hogan vs. Sid - 0.5/5
9 - Hogan vs. Yokozuna - 0/5

BFIB

I still do not understand why they hot shot the strap back to Hogan at IX. It killed Bret's buildup, which then took another year to get back.

Hogan also left shortly after, which didn't help matters much.

Taramoor

I still do not understand why they hot shot the strap back to Hogan at IX. It killed Bret's buildup, which then took another year to get back.

Hogan also left shortly after, which didn't help matters much.

Going back and looking at the old stuff, Hogan never helped anything.

I do enjoy how Slaughter kicks out of the leg drop right after 3, and then a year later Sid kicks out of before the 3 count. The latter was a fuck-up from Papa Shango missing his cue, and I'd like to think the former is Slaughter going into business for himself.

Hi wrestlegaf, what's the deal with the free month?

If I sign up now, can I immediately cancel and not be charged? And do they just continue till the end of the month or do they immediately cut the service?

Hi wrestlegaf, what's the deal with the free month?

If I sign up now, can I immediately cancel and not be charged? And do they just continue till the end of the month or do they immediately cut the service?

Yes, you can sign up, cancel, and continue to use it through the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom