• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Write a novel in November! NaNoWriMo 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

WC: 50,031

Hd1En5k.png

I was stretching at the end as I finished the main plot a few thousand words early but I got there. The writing quality could be way better but I just wanted to meet the target this year.
Congrats!!!

Cyan

Banned
WC: 50,031

Hd1En5k.png

I was stretching at the end as I finished the main plot a few thousand words early but I got there. The writing quality could be way better but I just wanted to meet the target this year.

ikari-2.gif

Congratulations, prevailer!

zulux21

Now the real question: who's gonna let me read their stuff

I could, but given I am working on book 3 it likely wouldn't make much sense.

on the plus side for my writing in general I figured out what was bothering me so much and should be able to write 40k or so words in the next 10 days or so.

on the minus side that is clearly to late, but whatever, I was mostly doing this to support my wife who only really writes during this time. I mean it was a nice dream, but give how layered I make things I couldn't continue without figuring out what was wrong. plus I had a 60k word month back in july, so there is that :p

but yeah, turns out I was worried about an event that happens in book 5 or so, that in my outline/original draft is the logical spot for something, but with the extended time I gave my characters where I am at now most of that stuff needs to move to book 3 now which is what took me far to long to figure out. Luckily my subconscious is smarter than me and really is annoying when I am screwing up something most of the time lol.

btw my wife needs 2k more words to make it, so at the very least she should make it yay.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Revised the rough draft one last time before the end of the month and...

wc:55682

PiJM9M6.png

I'm pretty happy with what I've got. Now I gotta find some editing software for novels. I'm planning to use lulu.com to do a hard copy of this draft. Any recommendations?

Timu

Revised the rough draft one last time before the end of the month and...

wc:55682

PiJM9M6.png

I'm pretty happy with what I've got. Now I gotta find some editing software for novels. I'm planning to use lulu.com to do a hard copy of this draft. Any recommendations?
Congrats!!!

WC: 9455

Counted up all the stuff I did, and came this number. This was not a good year for me to do NaNo (Thankfully, next year should be much smoother sailing). However, I did get a pretty good chapter from it, so I'm not sad. I'll probably do a personal NaNo after exams are done to try and finish my novel.

Linkark07

Banned
WC: 78132

And with this I finished November. Gotta admit, I never expected to write this much in a single month. I'm basically finished with the story, just those 3 chapters and that's it. Of course, this is a short story that complements the main ones but still... I wrote another short story in the same universe and that one took me like 2 years, mostly because I got distracted and forgot about it.

Being motivated to finish something makes you do stuff you would never expect to accomplish so easily.

WJD

WC: 50,150

BANG

DDFRriJ.png

Much prouder of this one that last time considering I've had a ridiculously difficult month at work, rather than lots of free time just dossing around at University...

Still have some major doubts about how useful NaNo is as an exercise for writers, but if nothing else I've got 50,000+ readable words of an incredibly detailed outline. Maybe I'll come back to this story, maybe not. But it's done.

Timu

BANG

DDFRriJ.png

Much prouder of this one that last time considering I've had a ridiculously difficult month at work, rather than lots of free time just dossing around at University...

Still have some major doubts about how useful NaNo is as an exercise for writers, but if nothing else I've got 50,000+ readable words of an incredibly detailed outline. Maybe I'll come back to this story, maybe not. But it's done.
Congrats!!!

Cyan

Banned

BANG

DDFRriJ.png

culturejustice_zps2a421c7e.png

Conglats!

FWIW, over the years I've been doing NaNo the work I produce during the month has consistently gotten better, and I have at least one pro writer friend who does it every year and uses that output in her published work.

Timu

I'm so glad I finished my novel earlier, it would have sucked for me to still try to reach the goal at this time.

I really gonna think better for the next novel for next year's Nano, I was so glad I prepared for this one but then I had to create new chapters which I wasn't fully ready for and thus made it harder for me even though I finished on the 20th day. I'm going to have to spend months planning and then on October have pretty much everything memorized and intact to make me write faster and smarter.

But what to write remains to be seen. I mean, the adult only(you need to be 18 and older to read) Awesome Sam which will be so filthy to write and read that it would be difficult to do even with it's interesting concept, a half reboot/remake/prequel/sequel Copper novel, maybe that Harry Potter like series about Wizards that I made before the 1st Harry Potter movie even came out, or just a new IP. I'll spend more time thinking about it as well.

Korigama

WC: 50164

Much like last year, still much more story left to tell, but there it is. With how the month had been going this year, I didn't know for certain if I would've been able to do it this time, but I was set on not letting it beat me. Now to take a much needed rest, figure out where to go with it, and finally get back to my older work too.

Timu

Much like last year, still much more story left to tell, but there it is. With how the month had been going this year, I didn't know for certain if I would've been able to do it this time, but I was set on not letting it beat me. Now to take a much needed rest, figure out where to go with it, and finally get back to my older work too.
Congrats!!!

Cyan

Banned

marb-2.gif

Congrats on completing the ultimate race!

Epcott

I'm so glad I finished my novel earlier, it would have sucked for me to still try to reach the goal at this time.

I really gonna think better for the next novel for next year's Nano, I was so glad I prepared for this one but then I had to create new chapters which I wasn't fully ready for and thus made it harder for me even though I finished on the 20th day. I'm going to have to spend months planning and then on October have pretty much everything memorized and intact to make me write faster and smarter.

But what to write remains to be seen. I mean, the adult only(you need to be 18 and older to read) Awesome Sam which will be so filthy to write and read that it would be difficult to do even with it's interesting concept, a half reboot/remake/prequel/sequel Copper novel, maybe that Harry Potter like series about Wizards that I made before the 1st Harry Potter movie even came out, or just a new IP. I'll spend more time thinking about it as well.

You finished? Congrats!

I'm stuck on a chapter so bad right now, it's killing me. My mind is wandering towards FFXV, my next novel (Grave of the Fireflies meets Barron Von Muchausen in reverse) and painting a few portraits. Hope you publish so we can read Awesome Sam's raunchy adventures 😁

Timu

You finished? Congrats!

I'm stuck on a chapter so bad right now, it's killing me. My mind is wandering towards FFXV, my next novel (Grave of the Fireflies meets Barron Von Muchausen in reverse) and painting a few portraits. Hope you publish so we can read Awesome Sam's raunchy adventures ��
Yep, I finished on the 20th.

As for Awesome Sam, well, the idea of it is so absurd it would take some reworking to get made though it's kinda original, lol. It's like an even more extreme Extreme Max with controversial topics on race, religion, politics, sexual orientation, feminists and more.

It's original plot is about a redhead tomboy named Samantha(Sam for short obviously) who wants to try to act like a girl after missing out on it during her life but needs help to adjust to that lifestyle. Thankfully she acquires new friends who are unique and try to do what's best for her. However a mean girl name Lindsay(or Stuck Up Lindsay) is trying to make her life a living hell to gain satisfaction from picking on those who are different and will stop at nothing with her odd gang of female friends. Sam must find a way to deal with her while trying to find out about her sexuality to see if she likes men or women better and determine her fate in life to see if she is awesome or awful while dealing with topics on controversial things.

Yes, this idea is absurd even for me, lol.

WC: 91676

And that, is my grand haul for the month.

I've probably got about another 14000 ish to go. I hope to have the first draft completed by next Tuesday. But holy shit. I did it. How the fuck did I write that much in a month? I've never come close to writing that much before.

Holy fuck.

Thank you for the encouragement NaNoWriMo peeps!

And considering I wasn't even sure I could make the 50,000, I gladly applaud Epcott, and will be very happy to receive the silver, should no one pass me in the next few hours.

Ashes

Banned
Congrats everybody!

Well done everyone.

It's a shame DND never entered, eh? Always sneaks up on you in the last second.

Aiustis

Didn't post in hear at all because I mostly avoided GAF for productivity reasons.

WC: 54,348

My story isn't finished either.

I can’t do this anymore; I give up.

Okay, so it’s not quite giving up, but I’m calling this as my final count, as I really do not know if I will have time for any more before midnight strikes.

I do wish I could have kept up my momentum, though; it would have been really great to see what my count would have been. Unfortunately, I was busy enough to have people who had no idea how I had time for anything extra before November, and that little bit of time I had got filled to the point that I often had to stop by my computer three times to read through a single post. I’ll have to do better next year.

And I will catch up on the thread next month.

WC: 50,154

Cyan

Banned
I can’t do this anymore; I give up.

Okay, so it’s not quite giving up, but I’m calling this as my final count, as I really do not know if I will have time for any more before midnight strikes.

I do wish I could have kept up my momentum, though; it would have been really great to see what my count would have been. Unfortunately, I was busy enough to have people who had no idea how I had time for anything extra before November, and that little bit of time I had got filled to the point that I often had to stop by my computer three times to read through a single post. I’ll have to do better next year.

And I will catch up on the thread next month.

WC: 50,154
commando-3_zpsba173a0a.png

Congrats! This NaNo was ended.

Sch1sm

Didn't post in hear at all because I mostly avoided GAF for productivity reasons.

WC: 54,348

My story isn't finished either.

Was hoping someone else from BCT on that list would end up finishing. Good to see. Wonder how Blasian did.

Congrats to all the winners and as the curtain begins to come down, gotta say it was a fun ride.

Agreed.

The Discord server was a solid place, as well, for just straight up encouragement. I spent the remainder of my NaNo after finishing writing short stories within the universe that I didn't contribute toward my end word count, and between this guy right here, plagiarize (still finding this name very ironic), ynnny, etcetc. Was nice to have support and a source of motivation when it got tough. I appreciate y'all. Wouldn't have done it without this thread, either. \o/

---

The month's over to me, so I'll leave it with a congrats to everyone who's finished, or finishing up in the last hours they have. Even those who didn't. Maybe you at least have a solid basis for one for July, or for just a project you work on whenever.

MilkBeard

I have to say that I felt empty after reaching 50k. I was confused, lacking confidence, and I recognized that there was still much work to do if I am to finish the book.

My wife convinced me that I could still write every day, and she gave me a goal to hit by new year's. I'm gonna take a small break, but then get back to working on this novel.

Ashes

Banned
I have to say that I felt empty after reaching 50k. I was confused, lacking confidence, and I recognized that there was still much work to do if I am to finish the book.

My wife convinced me that I could still write every day, and she gave me a goal to hit by new year's. I'm gonna take a small break, but then get back to working on this novel.

Good luck. :)

zulux21

hey at least you made it to 50k. even if I extended the end of the month until I went to sleep I would only be at 33924 for novemeber (I wrote a little over 6k words tonight and will likely do the same tomorrow now that I figured out what I am doing) though to be fair I never was super serious about nano if you look at my writing dates.
the dates I wrote in novemeber, and how many words.

I have been writing this story for 13 years now, though I haven't written it this seriously in 10 years (I decided in feb of this year that I was going to actively work on finishing it). I still don't know if I will ever publish it, or even share with anyone that isn't married to me lol.

I have no confidence that it will ever amount to anything, but alas at this point I just want to finish it. sadly I am not willing to half ass it so I am only like 15% done, but hey that means I only have like 5 more years to go until I finish :p

either way I wish you luck, and hope you manage to make something you like. and highly recommend not to write a series of connected novels (aka a really really long story) as there is no good market for it and a pain in the ass to keep track of everything lol (I have over 150 files related to the story, though granted 70 of those are either the new or old draft of the story in chapters, and also a scivenger with like 50 different pages in it and the coverage of those is lackluster for what I need to reference everything).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom