• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Apple to unveil iPhone 8, iPhone 7s and more on September 12

Guess Who

Banned
I thought it was fake the moment they popped the box. They don't put the instruction packet on top of the phone.

Then the black iPhone lit up with a white boot screen and I just laughed and closed the tab.

kevin1025

Banned
I like how the screen suddenly whites out when the important About information is on screen that could show it's real or fake.

Ashhong

Haven't all iPhones, at least lately, been priced at the 50$ point off contract? I believe 649 has been the starting price for years. I hope the price is 950 and not 1050

Haven't all iPhones, at least lately, been priced at the 50$ point off contract? I believe 649 has been the starting price for years. I hope the price is 950 and not 1050

Yeah, $649 has been the starting price for several years now, with $120 instead of the normal $100 being added to the 7 Plus line for a starting price of $769

mj1108

More leaks of alleged iphone X in action. Also there looks to be a virtual home button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=164&v=itjCVaOxhnw

Completely fake. "Please wait...."

FlfKTWH.jpg

TimFL

That fake video is done really bad. It has dated icons (e.g. old map app icon) and is lacking the shut down button in settings. Not to mention the dated iCloud icon I‘m not even sure is in iOS10 (the blue one)?

Roo

I see some people are getting too desperate to be the first ones with a "functional" iPhone 8.

Tragic, really...

I don't think there have been any hints/leaks suggesting that, unfortunately.

If they put in a 120 hz display I'll be tempted tbh.

That'd be amazing. I don't think that's necessarily the sort of thing that Ming-Chi Kuo would know about because of the nature of his sources. ProMotion makes a big enough difference in the 2017 iPad Pro that I definitely want it to make its way to the iPhone line, and soon.

kiri

UK iPhone GAF: I haven't had a new iPhone since the 5S and even that I bought in Japan...

Here in the UK, is it worthwhile for me to buy the phone outright or get it on contract?

I'm trying to do calculations for the 7 when it as released vs. the contracts that were on offer at the time and it doesn't seem to come out much cheaper to have bought it outright.

KdotIX

UK iPhone GAF: I haven't had a new iPhone since the 5S and even that I bought in Japan...

Here in the UK, is it worthwhile for me to buy the phone outright or get it on contract?

I'm trying to do calculations for the 7 when it as released vs. the contracts that were on offer at the time and it doesn't seem to come out much cheaper to have bought it outright.

Most likely there will be a £20-50 difference between contract over 2 years and buying it outright for the new contracts. So in that case maybe going for a 2 year contract to spread the payments.

If you have a cheap enough SIM only deal (about £10-15) then it might be worth buying the phone outright and you could save about £150-200. That is based on calculations I had done when the iPhone 7 released last year and I went onto a SIM only deal with o2.

It kinda also works out the same if you go onto the iphone upgrade programme - except that you can get a new phone every year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Nearly always cheaper to buy outright and get a cheap sim only contract. Or if you go through Apple you can do ‘Iphone payments’. This is different from the upgrade program. The upgrade program lets you switch every 12 months, and you pay for the phone interest free,but they slap on AppleCare+ which some don’t want or need. Iphone payments is still interest free over 20 months I think, but no AppleCare so the monthly costs are lowered. Only limitation is you can’t switch after 12 months, you have to fully finish paying for the phone.

Basically though its easy enough to do the math. You can get a decent sim only deal for about £10-15 per month. So about £250-300 over 2 years. Add on the cost of the iPhone to get total cost. Then whatever operators are charging you can just multiply by 24 to get the total cost and compare.

I can see the OLED iPhone being close to £80 a month on contract.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm still not sold on the bezel thing sticking out.

I may end up going the 7S unless the 8/X has a must have feature purposely left out of the 7S.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I'm on an unlimited 4G data sim only plan with Three so will be picking up a phone outright the next time that I get one. Not sure when that'll be with the rumoured cost of these phones though, might wait for the next lot and pick one up when the price drops, my 6 is still doing alright for now.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

I may end up going the 7S unless the 8/X has a must have feature purposely left out of the 7S.

Agreed, its so distracting but all the reviews I have seen of Essential phone, everyone is saying you get used to it and won't even notice lol

Mrbob

So just that I'm understanding this right...the iphone 8 and 8 plus will basically be 7 and 7 plus refreshes with the same internals as the Iphone edition OLED phone, just with LCD screens instead?

I'm looking at the Iphone OLED phone and wish it was bigger to be honest. If I switch to Apple I might just get the 8 plus instead.

So just that I'm understanding this right...the iphone 8 and 8 plus will basically be 7 and 7 plus refreshes with the same internals as the Iphone edition OLED phone, just with LCD screens instead?

I'm looking at the Iphone OLED phone and wish it was bigger to be honest. If I switch to Apple I might just get the 8 plus instead.

The 8 and 8 Plus sound like they are keeping the screens and form factor of the 7 series but gaining a glass enclosure for wireless charging and the A11 chip. The iPhone Edition will have that plus better/more cameras on the front and back, OLED screen at a possible 120Hz, and maybe that special AI chip that was rumored a while ago

My friend is hoping for another iPhone SE phone. How likely do you think it is that another will be made?

Likely, just not this month. Check back around spring 2018

Guess Who

Banned
The OLED phone is expected to have the same size screen as the plus models, with a smaller body.

It's expected to be roughly as wide as the 4.7" models, just taller, so someone who likes Plus-sized phones might not be too interested.

I'm personally holding off for a model that's as big as current Plus-sized phones but similarly bezel-less.

Chibot

It looks like I'll be getting an iPhone 7 soon, as they should start to go down in price/become part of more upgrade/switch deals. I've been using a 6 the last 2.5 years and haven't felt the need to upgrade, though I am really looking forward to the water-resistance.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

The price of the Jesus iPhone is partially because of tech like the sensors that will allow for advanced facial recognition.

Not so much purposely left out as not being able to put that tech in there at that pricepoint.

Top Bottom