• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Apple to unveil iPhone 8, iPhone 7s and more on September 12

at this point we'll know everything there is to know in less than a week lol

all these fake leaks and speculation are getting old. I think everything we know now will be the same stuff we know 5 mins before the event.

Probably haha!

I just haven't decided if I want the iPhone Edition or the 8+(7s+?).

Want to see it in action.

It's expected to be roughly as wide as the 4.7" models, just taller, so someone who likes Plus-sized phones might not be too interested.

I'm personally holding off for a model that's as big as current Plus-sized phones but similarly bezel-less.

It’s actually perfect for me. I don’t want to go down in screen size but the Plus body has become too unwieldy for me to hold comfortably. I’m very excited

Guess Who

Banned
It's actually perfect for me. I don't want to go down in screen size but the Plus body has become too unwieldy for me to hold comfortably. I'm very excited

Yeah, I think there's really two kinds of Plus users - people who tolerate the large body to get a bigger screen but would rather it be easier to hold, and people who don't mind the large body and want the biggest phone possible.

I can reasonably comfortably hold a Plus iPhone, so I'd be more interested in a Plus-sized iPhone with EVEN MORE SCREEN

Yeah, I think there's really two kinds of Plus users - people who tolerate the large body to get a bigger screen but would rather it be easier to hold, and people who don't mind the large body and want the biggest phone possible.

I can reasonably comfortably hold a Plus iPhone, so I'd be more interested in a Plus-sized iPhone with EVEN MORE SCREEN

I want the plus size with all screen!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I propose we pluralize these as the "iPhones 8" or "iPhones 7S" instead of iPhone 8s or iPhone 7Ss. It's just cleaner and nicer.

Like: "A group of attorneys general from 15 states" are suing the Trump admin over DACA

I want the plus size with all screen!
Next year! (Maybe! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Edit:
It’s going to be a pain in the ass to get these for the first 3 months
3 months? I'm betting the Edition will be supply constrained for the entire first year. Think AirPods but with 3 month (if you can even order) instead of 6 weeks.

^^^
If we want to get REALLY pedantic, both of those violates Apple's official marketing guidelines. The official term is iPhone devices. So it would be iPhone 8 devices or iPhone 7S devices. But no one does that because that's insane

I still think they won't be called 7S, so this will be a non-issue

Futureman

Are they even going to unveil it at this point? Seems like they might just wait til next Fall.

if iPhone 8 is big, iPhone X will be MASSIVE. First consumer smartphone to usher in mainstream acceptance of 8" screen?

I'm just trying to make some bold predictions.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
^^^
If we want to get REALLY pedantic, both of those violates Apple's official marketing guidelines. The official term is iPhone devices. So it would be iPhone 8 devices or iPhone 7S devices. But no one does that because that's insane

I still think they won't be called 7S, so this will be a non-issue
Fuck official marketing guidelines. I build Legos, I called it Mac "Oh Es Ex", and I will order a "large" from Starbucks if I damn well please. :p

I don't think there will be any "7S" named units either. So the iPhones 8 it is ;)

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Not impossible but not expected until next year
By next year, do you think it'll be spring? Or later?

I know we probably have no way of really knowing. I got a 6S though, and then the SE came out, which I didn't expect at all. I totally would have waited because my 5 was the perfect phone for me. The SE would have been the perfect replacement. :( That delayed buyer's remorse was so real.

By next year, do you think it'll be spring? Or later?

I know we probably have no way of really knowing. I got a 6S though, and then the SE came out, which I didn't expect at all. I totally would have waited because my 5 was the perfect phone for me. The SE would have been the perfect replacement. :( That delayed buyer's remorse was so real.

There have been no real rumors of an SE, at least not soon. Soonest I would expect is Spring 2018, with a chance at Fall 2018 if they want to start updating all of them in tandem

Are we still hearing rumors of supply shortages?

Only every year

2 years
32gb

So the way that AT&T does the new contracts is that the two year plan is actually 30 months. After 24 months you can turn the phone in and upgrade and after 30 months you own it and can do whatever you want. So the price per month is the retail price divided by 30, no interest or anything. For a 32Gb non-Plus non-expensive iPhone currently dubbed the 7s, you’d be looking at $649/30 months = $21.63 per month. You can adjust as necessary to check different models.

If you wanted to do their other plan, it’s upgrade at 12 months or own after 24, so it’d be the retail price divided by 24.

I always called it OS ECKS to myself at night, even though to the public I had to use OS 10.

Sounds to me like you knew it was wrong and had to hide your shame

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It’s actually perfect for me. I don’t want to go down in screen size but the Plus body has become too unwieldy for me to hold comfortably. I’m very excited

I want to go down in phone size so this is my option, but I’ll still miss the plus screen. This new aspect ratio will be no better for watching 16:9 content than an iPhone 7, similarly for viewing websites etc (text same size, same page width assuming reading in portrait)

It is a bigger screen, but it isn’t a plus size screen just because the diagonal measurement is the same.

I want to go down in phone size so this is my option, but I’ll still miss the plus screen. This new aspect ratio will be no better for watching 16:9 content than an iPhone 7, similarly for viewing websites etc (text same size, same page width assuming reading in portrait)

It is a bigger screen, but it isn’t a plus size screen just because the diagonal measurement is the same.

Yeah, but that’s fine. I can feel comfortable using it without a case at that body size, which I don’t for my current 7 Plus

emag

There have been no real rumors of an SE, at least not soon. Soonest I would expect is Spring 2018, with a chance at Fall 2018 if they want to start updating all of them in tandem

A few factors that lead me to believe there won't be a new SE anytime soon:
1. Apple just started SE production in India in May.
2. The SE is only marginally less powerful than the current 7, meaning the only notable upgrade would be to the new iPhone X/8 internals ($350 phone vs. $999 phone)
3. There have been no leaks from any of the multiple worldwide SE production facilities, nor any speculation from reliable analysts

I do think it's possible we'll see a spec-bumped 2012 iPhone 5 again for a 2018 SE, but if Apple holds off to early 2019, it could be a downsized iPhone X instead.

I want to go down in phone size so this is my option, but I'll still miss the plus screen. This new aspect ratio will be no better for watching 16:9 content than an iPhone 7, similarly for viewing websites etc (text same size, same page width assuming reading in portrait)

It is a bigger screen, but it isn't a plus size screen just because the diagonal measurement is the same.

kuoiphone8size-800x470.jpg

5.15" (at 16:9; 5.8" overall) is a fair bit larger than the 4.7" of the iPhone 6/6S/7.

Future

With their speaker Siri thing coming out I would love it if they added functionality to their Apple TV (which they are potentially updating as well). Allow me to say: "watch next episode of Legion on Hulu" and it open Hulu and play next episode I haven't seen would be a quality of life changer. And worth the $500 to get both for me

Alexa has this a little bit with their fire sticks but the implementation is not that great. I think google can cast shit from google home to chromecast but I'm not sure I can do the simple thing that I said. Give me the full bat cave functionality with voice control to drive all the apps. Every year I want this and am disappointed at the lame Apple TV updates as well as the competitors updates to their tv boxes.

Number45

It's expected to be roughly as wide as the 4.7" models, just taller, so someone who likes Plus-sized phones might not be too interested.

I'm personally holding off for a model that's as big as current Plus-sized phones but similarly bezel-less.
You mean someone that likes the phone to be large for reasons other than screen size? Is there such a person? I guess if battery is markedly worse because of the smaller body but that's all I can think of.

The only person for whom the normal 6/7 frame is too small to handle is green and doesn't get along with electronics.

jamsy

Curious about the new OLED iPhone.

Where do people usually preorder these things? On Apple's own website?

Vuze

I guess I need to be in the market for bluetooth in ear headphones since I won't be able to comfortably use mine anymore. Any suggestions?
Beats X? You should definitely take advantage and get a pair with the W1 chip if you have an Apple device. It's really great. Not sure if there are any more in-ears available with it. Perhaps they'll announce a new one at the event?

re pre-ordering, can you pre-order online and pick them up in-store and pay there? I'm in Swiss on 21st/22nd. That's when the new phones are supposedly launching, so I might take advantage and save 100-200 bucks by getting it there instead of euroland.
E: went through a test order and apparently that's not an option. Meh.

Guess Who

Banned
You mean someone that likes the phone to be large for reasons other than screen size? Is there such a person? I guess if battery is markedly worse because of the smaller body but that's all I can think of.

The only person for whom the normal 6/7 frame is too small to handle is green and doesn't get along with electronics.

The point being that a hypothetical bezel-less Plus-sized iPhone would have even more screen, so that if you are already used to and comfortable holding a Plus iPhone, you could still get notably more screen than this new iPhone. If this new iPhone is about the same width as a standard iPhone, just taller, it also won't really be any better than a 4.7" phone for things like watching 16:9 video. It won't "feel" as big as a Plus iPhone screen, basically, even if it technically is just measuring it diagonally.

(Plus, yes, battery life is a consideration. A bigger frame gives you more room for battery.)

fuzzyset

Curious about the new OLED iPhone.

Where do people usually preorder these things? On Apple's own website?

For what it's worth, definitely try to get it through Apple if you plan on doing the payment plan. Typically the upgrade cycle is faster and in the carrier's eyes, you own the phone so you're not tied to their contracts or BS. Ran into that when SO and I went internationally. She had an ATT payment plan for her iPhone, so we couldn't unlock it to use an international SIM card. It also includes Apple Care which will likely be a much better experience than any carrier based warranty. Only potential downside is that Apple does a 'hard' credit check, not sure what the carriers do (1-2 hard checks per year is fine, but keep it in mind if you've had a couple already).

jamsy

For what it's worth, definitely try to get it through Apple if you plan on doing the payment plan. Typically the upgrade cycle is faster and in the carrier's eyes, you own the phone so you're not tied to their contracts or BS. Ran into that when SO and I went internationally. She had an ATT payment plan for her iPhone, so we couldn't unlock it to use an international SIM card. It also includes Apple Care which will likely be a much better experience than any carrier based warranty. Only potential downside is that Apple does a 'hard' credit check, not sure what the carriers do (1-2 hard checks per year is fine, but keep it in mind if you've had a couple already).
I'm not interested in payment plans. Planning on just buying an unlocked phone.

Does Best Buy have preorders also? I'd much rather buy from BB than direct from Apple.

Yeah that is a pretty big downside with the iUP plan, if you upgrade every year that’s a hard credit check every year. Carriers only check when you first sign up for service from what I understand

Fair, but then - still smaller than 5.5" :v

You’re technically correct, the best kind of correct

Top Bottom