• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: ''Mojang to be bought by Microsoft'

Pikma

Banned
Notch is rich as fuck. Why would he sell the company?
Because he doesn't give a shit and it's actually pretty smart to do it now since it's pretty clear he won't bother (and he isn't able) to try an duplicate the success he found with Minecraft

Thomper

Would they have the rights to pull it off other platforms? Not a minecraft player, but it's an interesting business move. There must be something else in the works for them to be worth $2 billion, I can't see that much more revenue coming from this minecraft.

If Microsoft buys Mojang? They probably would. Mojang fully owns Minecraft, so whoever owns Mojang would also be able to decide where Minecraft goes. But pulling it from other platforms seems unlikely. Probably likelier that future content/games will be exclusive to Microsoft's platforms (and probably PC, too).

Is Minecraft still booming anyway? A sequel could happen at some point but what the hell would be different than the fact that the game is constantly building on itself. Its just seems kinda late for that. Didn't the damn thing just release on PS4.

Notch probably realized that there will never be a big hit like Minecraft and decided to sell the company at it's max value before their other games have disappointing sales.

This is probably what it is. Makes sense from a business standpoint. Microsoft sure as hell won't create a great game in the Minecraft world, so might as well sell the company at max value.

Barzul

2 billion dollars is too much imo. Unless they are sitting on another Minecraft style goldmine. Only studios like Blizzard have struck lightning multiple time like that however.

WillyFive

That would be horrible. Not only is MS historically the deathbeds of developers, Minecraft being stuck to Xbox would be horrifying.

Not that Mojang isn't already dead, but that's another topic entirely.

Mrbob

What an odd potential deal. Seems like a bad purchase for MS for the rumored money spent and don't know why Mojang would want to be bought out in the first place.

If Notch wants to get out, then fine.

Just hope for Microsoft's sake, that they have something worthwhile brewing.

So far every casual game company that's been bought after laying their golden egg has just crashed down in price.I can't see this acquisition ending in anything other than tears.

I guess it does come with the Minecraft IP though.

I don't get the point of this move since the only worthwhile property is Minecraft, and that's already on your competitors machine.

Notch is rich as fuck. Why would he sell the company?

Because he's rich as fuck,.

He could leave and start a new company if he wanted, as selling it would make him richer than all fuckity fuck fuck. It's not like he's personally involved in developing their cash cow any more.

Welp, Nintendo really fucked up not getting Minecraft on their systems before this happens. Assuming this is even true (lots of doubt yet) and that MS would block Minecraft from going to other platforms in the future.

inky

2 billion... isn't that what Oculus went for? Which reminds me of Notch's comments when that happened and well... he's been vocal against Microsoft here and there too.

Can't blame him if this happens tho. that's a fuckload of money. Not that he'd need more, although I guess there's never a ceiling for how rich you can be.

Such a bad deal, I don't think Mojang will release another game that would reach even 1/4 of Minecraft success and Minecraft is already everywhere.

StoopKid

Mike-Woodson-Coach-FacePalm.gif

braves01

Banned
If this is true...people got pissed about TR timed exclusivity and fucking Bayonetta 2. I will enjoy the meltdowns.

Sanic

The IP is incredibly valuable now and MS probably feels it will continue to grow in the future.

It doesn't matter if it's on other platforms now, or at all.

Ambition

Now that I think of it, what would be the point in buying Mojang? Minecraft is already on everything and I doubt many would buy a sequel.

sörine

Banned
MS is buying it to make money. Pulling it off of millions of platforms that it's already on is the opposite of making money.
If this happens they'll pull it off some platforms (PSN) and leave it on others (iOS/Android). They wouldn't be buying Mojang purely to make money on Minecraft sales, there's a strategic imperative.

While Microsoft may love this idea, I'm not seeing how it makes sense for Mojang. They already have more money than god.

edit: Maybe Notch would rather walk away from Minecraft and do something new with a different company?

I don't understand this logic as an explanation for why he would sell. Notch pretty much handed off Minecraft to Jeb a long time ago and has been doing whatever he wants since.

Top Bottom