• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

When will Nintendo unveil the NX?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hilarion

But those are last gen Wii U games, your not getting the Witcher or Fallout on a 32gb SD card. I doubt Madden 17 on the PS4 fits on that.

Of course not. Was anyone suggesting otherwise? According to current rumors, the NX is somewhere between 2x and 3x as strong as the Wii U, depending on what the final number ends up being. It's a handheld. Why would you expect it to get console games like Witcher running on it?

EDIT: and see above, re: Madden's size.

ksamedi

Of course not. Was anyone suggesting otherwise? According to current rumors, the NX is somewhere between 2x and 3x as strong as the Wii U, depending on what the final number ends up being. It's a handheld. Why would you expect it to get console games like Witcher running on it?

Because it's not an handheld ? It certainly won't be marketed as one. It will be marketed as a console with handheld capabilities. Expecting games like witcher 3 is a perfectly fine expectation.

Neoxon

But those are last gen Wii U games, your not getting the Witcher or Fallout on a 32gb SD card. I doubt Madden 17 on the PS4 fits on that.
The NX probably isn't gonna get most of those games, anyway. And worst-case scenario, Nintendo can always have a 64GB cartridge ready for games that may be too big for the usual 32GB card.

The NX probably isn't gonna get most of those games, anyway. And worst-case scenario, Nintendo can always have a 64GB cartridge ready for games that may be too big for the usual 32GB card.
Why wouldn't it? Rumors say the NX has a Tegra X1 or X2 in it, which means it's going to be fairly simple for any game made for PC, XBox One, or PS4 to be ported to it. It may not look as good as on those platforms, but Witcher 3 for one supports pretty wimpy computers at low quality, no reason not to do that with NX.

Hilarion

I have to say, it's kind of funny that two out of the three games that guy mentioned as examples turn out to be under 32 GB, and the other, at 35 GB, is well within the "cut some effects to get the size down a bit" range.

Neoxon

Why wouldn't it? Rumors say the NX has a Tegra X1 or X2 in it, which means it's going to be fairly simple for any game made for PC, XBox One, or PS4 to be ported to it. It may not look as good as on those platforms, but Witcher 3 for one supports pretty wimpy computers at low quality, no reason not to do that with NX.
Namely because of there being a lack of an audience on Nintendo systems that gives a shit. Most people who do care about games like Witcher or Fallout already have a PS4/XB1/Gaming PC to fulfill those needs. Otherwise, the majority see Nintendo systems as a means to play Nintendo games (along with some Japanese third party & indie games), nothing more.

They just had a Direct for the 3DS, they clearly still have some game(s) to release on that platform that they want to sell and not take marketing away from. Can't see them showing it off this year.
Nintendo explicitly said on multiple occasions that the NX will be revealed this year, with Nintendo of Canada saying that we should expect a reveal this fall. Eurogamer also said that we should expect the reveal this month.

The only reason the NX wouldn't be revealed this year is if it's getting delayed again, which I doubt at this point (namely because it would incur the wrath of Nintendo's investors).

Jinketsu

I don't remember any of my UMDs having the capacity of a regular DVD.

He was suggesting that UMD technology today would probably only be hitting standard DVD size, not that UMDs in the past had done so. He called them "Blu" UMDs to poorly describe the next generation of UMDs.

schaft0620

Madden 17 on PS4 requires 22.5GB hard drive space for the digital download. Witcher 3 is a 35GB download. Fallout 4 is 28GB. 32GB per cart is fine (and don't forget, in a worst-case scenario, you can use two carts, especially if the NX has decent install space onboard).

False

NBA 2K16 - 51.94GB
Doom - 65.59GB
Knack - 37GB
Bloodborne - 41GB
Batllefront - 50GB
Mad Max - 38GB
GTA5 - 55GB
The Witcher 3 - 35GB on disc

Nintendo explicitly said on multiple occasions that the NX will be revealed this year, with Nintendo of Canada saying that we should expect a reveal this fall. Eurogamer also said that we should expect the reveal this month.

The only reason the NX wouldn't be revealed this year is if it's getting delayed again, which I doubt at this point (namely because it would incur the wrath of Nintendo's investors).

Remember when everyone on gaf just assumed it would be announced before E3 then it would be at E3? Then it was September, now it's "this year" Do you have a source on Nintendo saying that recently? The investor call was like 2 months ago don't recall that.

Neoxon

Remember when everyone on gaf just assumed it would be announced before E3 then it would be at E3? Then it was September, now it's "this year" Do you have a source on Nintendo saying that recently? The investor call was like 2 months ago don't recall that.
That investor call wasn't too long ago. And it's not like Nintendo can afford to coast on 3DS down-ports of Wii U games & lower-budget titles for an entire year. It's already bad enough this year, they can't drag it out for longer without pissing off said investors. Plus, thanks to the Trev leak, we do know that the NX was originally supposed to come out this holiday season.

So yeah, I do think that the NX will hit its March 2017 release date.

schaft0620

That investor call wasn't too long ago. And it's not like Nintendo can afford to coast on 3DS down-ports of Wii U games & lower-budget titles for an entire year. It's already bad enough this year, they can't drag it out for longer without pissing off said investors. Plus, thanks to the Trev leak, we do know that the NX was originally supposed to come out this holiday season.

So yeah, I do think that the NX will hit its March 2017 release date.

But they absolutely can and they absolutely have been coasting for a long time now.

Neoxon

But they absolutely can and they absolutely have been coasting for a long time now.
And the investors likely aren't happy about that. That said, I'm guessing the mobile games & the promise of the NX in March 2017 is keeping them from going ballistic.

But let me just make this clear, are you expecting another delay?

Madden 17 on PS4 requires 22.5GB hard drive space for the digital download. Witcher 3 is a 35GB download. Fallout 4 is 28GB. 32GB per cart is fine (and don't forget, in a worst-case scenario, you can use two carts, especially if the NX has decent install space onboard).
False

NBA 2K16 - 51.94GB
Doom - 65.59GB
Knack - 37GB
Bloodborne - 41GB
Batllefront - 50GB
Mad Max - 38GB
GTA5 - 55GB
How was what I said false? The games you said wouldn't fit on a 32GB card, most definitely would (with a little extra compression on Witcher 3). As for these new games you are bringing up now, they have no reason to be that big. If Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 can be that small, there's no reason for a basketball game or Doom to be that large, especially when textures will most likely be smaller on NX (note that Doom is only 45GB on XBox One due to not supporting the giant textures supported on PC). Most likely games like that are using uncompressed high-bit-depth audio, something often seen on PS4, which takes lots of space but wouldn't be needed on NX.

Thraktor

False

NBA 2K16 - 51.94GB
Doom - 65.59GB
Knack - 37GB
Bloodborne - 41GB
Batllefront - 50GB
Mad Max - 38GB
GTA5 - 55GB

A benefit of game cards is that they come in different capacities. Eurogamer stated that Nintendo "recommends a 32GB cartridge", which means higher capacities (i.e. 64GB or even higher) are virtually guaranteed. And unlike the Blu-Rays used for PS4 and XBO, a 64GB game card could actually fit all of the games you've listed in their entirety.

oh?

CrdU4VJVMAE7bUM.jpg

Oh oh?

Gary Oak made that post.

schaft0620

A benefit of game cards is that they come in different capacities. Eurogamer stated that Nintendo "recommends a 32GB cartridge", which means higher capacities (i.e. 64GB or even higher) are virtually guaranteed. And unlike the Blu-Rays used for PS4 and XBO, a 64GB game card could actually fit all of the games you've listed in their entirety.

Absolutely, just saying 32gb is enough for Wii U games but not the games the other 50 million gamers buy each year.

Hilarion

The really surprising one there is NBA 2k16. What the hell are they doing to it that leaves its filesize twice as large as Madden's?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
He was suggesting that UMD technology today would probably only be hitting standard DVD size, not that UMDs in the past had done so. He called them "Blu" UMDs to poorly describe the next generation of UMDs.
It was just a silly joke on my part.

Hilarion

Also, companies are sensitive to which of their products will/could appeal to Nintendo consumers. I could easily see, for example, Square Enix eventually bringing I Am Setsuna to the NX. That game's file size is...1.7 GB. It also actually dovetails well with the sort of people who buy Nintendo platforms.

EDIT: Persona 5 will take up 20 GB of space on PS4. Not that I expect NX would ever get that game, but that's a major PS4 release by Atlus, who has long-standing relations with Nintendo and has supported 3DS and Wii U.

Bsigg12

It's like 2013 all over! Between Neo, Scorpio and NX all the crazy shit that is being thrown around is incredible.

BasilZero

I don't mind cartridges - I just hope the library gets improved with more third party support.

Also announcement before tgs?! Hype train ;P

Thraktor

Absolutely, just saying 32gb is enough for Wii U games but not the games the other 50 million gamers buy each year.

The handful of games you listed doesn't constitute "the games the other 50 million gamers buy each year". I could equally well say that Battlefield 4, Fallout 4, Mortal Kombat X, Star Wars Battlefront, Overwatch, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, The Division, along with every EA sports game, all fit within 32GB. It's a meaningless discussion, though, as it's extremely likely that NX will have a much larger maximum capacity for its media than PS4 or XBO (and almost certainly Neo if they want to retain compatibility with existing PS4s).

You could fill up a small forum with how much NX speculation has gone on in GAF. Seriously there's probably over 50K posts on NX stuff here

duvjones

Banned
And the investors likely aren't happy about that. That said, I'm guessing the mobile games & the promise of the NX in March 2017 is keeping them from going ballistic.
I think that it is going to have to do since that is all that I really see on the horizon.

But let me just make this clear, are you expecting another delay?
Given that there are "reports" that the NX is ahead of schedule... the only way that I see a delay in the cards hard more to do with marketing manoeuvring than anything else. Something that Nintendo is prone to doing.

Top Bottom