• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

When will Nintendo unveil the NX?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Devil Survivor isn't really SMT, despite the western branding. It's sort of a spinoff of a spinoff. Also if 4GB was crazy expensive why would Atlus bother for a port of a 256MB DS game?

And Irem is super small. So is Xseed actually, and Atlus USA was too before Sega took over their distribution.

Because that's what they could fit it on. No choice unless they wanted to cut stuff or compress to an extreme extent.

The domestic market was a priority in a lot of those games, so no need to talk about Western affiliates alone. Xseed is a subsidiary of Marvelous now, who are a pretty big multimedia corp in Japan which was the primary market. Atlus as a company isn't tiny even if Atlus USA is. Virtually all the publishers involved in that list are big fish except Irem, who are the only real outlier on the entire list. That list is almost entirely published by the big boys, and there are several ports of large disc-based games on that list too, the kind that weren't even developed with 3DS (and a 4 GB card) in mind.

4 GB was certainly doable and I have several of those titles, but still, it was relatively rare in a huge library of games, especially early on. Niche titles or not, almost all of those titles had big pubs (at least in the domestic Japanese market) behind them.

But yes, solid state media of all kinds keeps dropping in price and a decent number of 32 GB cards as a matter of course on NX is looking more and more likely to both of us. Game cards for NX seem like a really good bet.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, like that time were an analyst saying nx would work with ps4 was deemed worthwile to post by Mochizuki...

Again if the WSJ finds the analyst reliable enough to use and make an article over. There is almost certainly something there.

Again they have a rock-solid reputation for early announcements and leaks of Nintendo stuff over the years.

Yeah, like that time were an analyst saying nx would work with ps4 was deemed worthwile to post by Mochizuki...
That came from WSJ, right? That's what I'm saying their just posting their analysts who are making guesses. There's nothing here none of us didn't guess already. They only want clicks. This is how business works.

ggx2ac

My bet:

32/13/2016
596979.jpg

Edit: lol, I just noticed there's only 28 days in Smarch.

daakusedo

Again if the WSJ finds the analyst reliable enough to use and make an article over. There is almost certainly something there.

Again they have a rock-solid reputation for early announcements and leaks of Nintendo stuff over the years.

What announcements did they leak?

Mochizuki and "analyst said"...smell like he doesn't have the info compared to how affirmative he can be.

And yes to darkcloud.

MacTag

Banned
Because that's what they could fit it on. No choice unless they wanted to cut stuff or compress to an extreme extent.

The domestic market was a priority in a lot of those games, so no need to talk about Western affiliates alone. Xseed is a subsidiary of Marvelous now, who are a pretty big multimedia corp in Japan which was the primary market. Atlus as a company isn't tiny even if Atlus USA is. Virtually all the publishers involved in that list are big fish except Irem, who are the only real outlier on the entire list. That list is almost entirely published by the big boys, and there are several ports of large disc-based games on that list too, the kind that weren't even developed with 3DS (and a 4 GB card) in mind.

4 GB was certainly doable and I have several of those titles, but still, it was relatively rare in a huge library of games, especially early on. Niche titles or not, almost all of those titles had big pubs (at least in the domestic Japanese market) behind them.

But yes, solid state media of all kinds keeps dropping in price and a decent number of 32 GB cards as a matter of course on NX is looking more and more likely to both of us. Game cards for NX seem like a really good bet.
In no conceivable way are Marvelous or (former) Atlus big fish. And Xseed is tiny with a shoestring budget. I mean, in reality the only real "big" publishers in that list as the industry considers it are Nintendo, Square Enix and maybe Bandai Namco. Capcom, Level 5, Tecmo Koei, Konami and Sega are all midsize at best these days. Perhaps big in Japan but certainly not globally.

So how much does one need to compress a 256MB DS game to fit on a smaller than 4GB 3DS card? lol

ika

It's not that crazy to think that Nintendo could be making private meetings as we speak to several journalists to show initial games/demos and making them sign a timed NDA until the day they announce the Nintendo Direct NX to the public. That way, they can write first-hand impressions in advance and upload those articles as fast as the Direct ends.

Only if they're planning a Direct in the next two weeks, that's it. They do those "behind closed doors" hands-on/presentations with timed NDA's all the time. Obviously those lucky journalists won't give us any hints beforehand...

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Do they? When I think of early announcements and leaks of Nintendo stuff, I think of Nikkei.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The Wall Street Journal isn't going to publish something they aren't extremely confident in.

Oh, no, I know. I'm not one of those people who tries to discredit WSJ's reports. I'm just saying I didn't know they had a history of Nintendo leaks, as I usually hear about Nikkei's. WSJ has had a few about NX over the past year, though.

sfried

A real shame. There is a warmth you get when playing a game off a disc that you can't really replicate with flash based storage.
If by "warmth" you mean "Now loading...", then I ain't going to miss it by any chance.

Edit: Didn't get the reference, considering the crazy stuff they pulled off on cartridges back in the day.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Someone on Twitter assured me that WSJ gaming news is nothing but a clickbait blog, don't worry.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
In no conceivable way are Marvelous or (former) Atlus big fish. And Xseed is tiny with a shoestring budget. I mean, in reality the only real "big" publishers in that list as the industry considers it are Nintendo, Square Enix and maybe Bandai Namco. Capcom, Level 5, Tecmo Koei, Konami and Sega are all midsize at best these days. Perhaps big in Japan but certainly not globally.

So how much does one need to compress a 256MB DS game to fit on a smaller than 4GB 3DS card? lol

You're absolutely wrong, Marvelous is a very decently sized media conglomerate and Atlus as a whole isn't that small. You're talking about their much smaller Western branches but that's irrelevant really since they just localized the games and are backed by their larger parent companies. I went over that a couple posts ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvelous_(company)

Nah, you just proved you have no idea what you're talking about since you cannot refute that those are pretty much a list of the largest modern third-party 3DS publishers except Irem....and all large period as Japanese pubs go except for two (Irem, Marvelous).

Your last line doesn't make any sense... they added stuff, so it's bigger. Might even be a remake. Unless perhaps they would have compressed what they added to hell and back it wasn't going to fit...

It's impossible to discuss this with you since you won't acknowledge that you're wrong, but I tried my best to show you.

MacTag

Banned
You're absolutely wrong, Marvelous is a very decently sized media conglomerate and Atlus as a whole isn't that small. You're talking about their much smaller Western branches but that's irrelevant really since they just localized the games and are backed by their larger parent companies. I went over that a couple posts ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvelous_(company)

Nah, you just proved you have no idea what you're talking about since you cannot refute that those are pretty much a list of the largest modern third-party 3DS publishers except Irem....and all large period as Japanese pubs go except for two (Irem, Marvelous).

Your last line doesn't make any sense... they added stuff, so it's bigger. Might even be a remake. Unless perhaps they would have compressed what they added to hell and back it wasn't going to fit...

It's impossible to discuss this with you since you won't acknowledge that you're wrong, but I tried my best to show you.
You're absolutely wrong here. Marvelous has under 500 employees (including Xseed and all their other subsidiaries) and Atlus had under 150 before Sega folded them in. In no concievable way are these big publishers, even for just their domestic marketplace really. Globally only Nintendo, Square Enix and maybe Bandai Namco could even qualify as a large publisher from that list today. All 3 are dwarfed in company size compared to an EA or a Ubisoft and really only Nintendo can hang with the larger western pubs in software sales.

Devil Survivor Overlocked (the previous DS port) likely sold near 100k worldwide (it was ~55k in Japan). If 4GB carts are prohibitively expensive why on Earth would Atlus greenlight using one for a follow up port with such limited sales potential? The logic here just doesn't make sense, sure 4GB will add cost over 2GB but if it was a prohibitive expense you wouldn't see niche games like DS2 using it.

gogojira

I can't wait for my nostalgia to be exploited in some random retro pre-order bundle with NES case and cartridge design.

L Thammy

Are we expecting a live or recorded presentation?

It'll be a live presentation of Kimishima watching a Nintendo Direct on VHS.

EDIT: That post on the first page has been trolling people for nearly 24 hours, hasn't it? Actually, I think even longer. Brilliant.

We should have a thread for people to guess the name of the next nintendo console. There could be humorous entries, serious entries... a prize for the first post in the thread with a name that actually ends up being right.

Wii Wii
Wii All
Wii Box Won
Wii Ess Four
Super Hyper 3rd Party Excludinator
W64 - Cartridges FTW
The non-metroid machine

There could be some good ones!

I know this has been rumored and heavily discussed for a long time, but can someone brief me the pros/cons going cartridge over disc?

Is it mainly cheaper to produce, with same or larger storage sizes?

Top Bottom