• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

When will Nintendo unveil the NX?

Results are only viewable after voting.

wrowa

Back when they showed the Wiimote for the first time (ironically enough immediately prior to that year's TGS), they allowed just a few outlets to get hands on time with it and a few tech demos (from the top of my head, I can only remember EDGE, actually).

I guess it's possible but unlikely that for whatever reason (being extremely paranoid of leaks, for example), they might be planning to give hands on time with the NX to only a very limited amount of magazines, which would explain why no date has leaked yet. Plan might be to show it to the most important magazines immediately and to the rest a couple weeks later.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
If they don't show it by the end of this month it isn't coming out by March, IMO.

A real shame. There is a warmth you get when playing a game off a disc that you can't really replicate with flash based storage.

What the hell is this? Please tell me this is a parody of that weird audiophile nonsense and not something anyone actually believes.

Back when they showed the Wiimote for the first time (ironically enough immediately prior to that year's TGS), they allowed just a few outlets to get hands on time with it and a few tech demos (from the top of my head, I can only remember EDGE, actually).

I guess it's possible but unlikely that for whatever reason (being extremely paranoid of leaks, for example), they might be planning to give hands on time with the NX to only a very limited amount of magazines, which would explain why no date has leaked yet. Plan might be to show it to the most important magazines immediately and to the rest a couple weeks later.

Tech demos huh? Did we ever find out what those were? Curious what they would've looked like, and were they on Revolution hardware?

Maybe it was just on a GC and maybe an existing game or two with the Wiimote tacked on to see what it could do. Prime 2 would've been a great candidate, hell that could've been what led to the trilogy pack.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
There's more 4GB 3DS games that people are generally aware of. I also doubt they're really that expensive anymore given how niche some of the titles are.

Bravely Default
Bravely Second: End Layer
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
E.X.Troopers
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai 2
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Inazuma Eleven Go - Light / Shadow
Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stones - Thunderflash / Wildfire
Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy - Big Bang / Supernova
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
PachiPara 3D: Deluxe Umi Monogatari
PachiPara 3D: Ooumi Monogatari 2
PachiPara 3D: Ooumi Monogatari 2 with Agnes Lum
PachiPara 3D: Premium Umi Monogatari
Resident Evil Revelations
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Yo-Kai Watch 3 - Sushi / Tempura

As for NX topping out as 32GB, no cart/card based Nintendo platform in history has launched with it max rom size available day one. I doubt NX will break that trend.

That's very few for such an expansive library, and most of them quite recently, doesn't hurt my point. I'm essentially saying that 64 GB in 2017 is not happening if only due to cost. Also, yes some publishers there are small, but I'm seeing a lot of Level-5, Nintendo, Atlus/Sega, Capcom, Konami, Koei Tecmo, and Square Enix... Also, Marvelous isn't really that small in Japan, so I don't see your point at all, those are big publishers and not super-niche games.

Also, 4 GB may have been there day 1 for 3DS but they didn't start until almost a year later with Revelations. That's close enough that it might very well have been available day 1 actually, along with a mythical 8 GB card.

wrowa

Tech demos huh? Did we ever find out what those were? Curious what they would've looked like, and were they on Revolution hardware?

Maybe it was just on a GC and maybe an existing game or two with the Wiimote tacked on to see what it could do. Prime 2 would've been a great candidate, hell that could've been what led to the trilogy pack.

I remember that one of the demos was Metroid Prime (2) with Wiimote controls.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Who gives a fuck what the 3ds games were size wise?

That has virtually no baring on the NX. The arch and capabilities are gonna be totally different and so will storage needs. Idk wtf looking at the 3ds tells us.

Ladekabel

The best part about this thread is that some people still take the "warmth of the disc" post serious even if the author said it was a joke a few posts later.

Plum

How do they get the press hands on in such a short space of time now then?

Could have invited a few key sites beforehand and have them sign a very, very strict NDA. If they only let say, 5, news sites/magazines have coverage it would be easy to find out which one leaked something if they did.

So Bluray discs can hold 50GBs and cost something like $1 to produce. How much does a 50GB flash memory cartridge would cost Nintendo? Are we close to optical media or are we going back to the N64 days of Nintendo choosing a much more expensive alternative than the competition?

wrowa

So Bluray discs can hold 50GBs and cost something like $1 to produce. How much does a 50GB flash memory cartridge would cost Nintendo? Are we close to optical media or are we going back to the N64 days of Nintendo choosing a much more expensive alternative than the competition?

There's no viable alternative to flash storage for a portable device, so the answer to that question isn't meaningful to begin with. Don't compare NX directly to PS4 and XB1 when all things point to it being primarily a portable system.

-shadow-

I remember that Metroid Prime was actually one of the specifically mentioned tech demo's. It's was just a reworked control scheme but so remember the impressions being really positive of the first preview.

There's no viable alternative to flash storage for a portable device, so the answer to that question isn't meaningful to begin with. Don't compare NX directly to PS4 and XB1 when all things point to it being primarily a portable system.

Jesus H. Christ. Nintendo needs to unveil this thing now. If not at least because their shit is getting leaked as it is. Keep waiting and before they know it a picture of the console will leak out.

Hilarion

As I said earlier, there's a gigantic difference between the ~2/3rds gap between a 32 GB cart and a 50 GB disc and the 20fold gap between a 32 MB N64 cart and a 650 MB PS1 CD (or even the 10fold gap between the 64 MB N64 carts). 32 GB is more than enough for any handheld game.

The heftiest game on the Wii U is XC:X at 22.7 gigs, plus about 10 more gigs of optional downloads. The Wii U's discs could hold 25 GB of data. These 32 GB carts are a full third larger than Wii U discs. For a handheld about double the power of the Wii U these carts should be fine.

Hilarion

I'm pretty sure XC:X is the only Wii U game that wouldn't fit on a 16 GB cart, btw. (Watch Dogs Wii U is 15.8GB, though)

-shadow-

The heftiest game on the Wii U is XC:X at 22.7 gigs, plus about 10 more gigs of optional downloads. The Wii U's discs could hold 25 GB of data. These 32 GB carts are a full third larger than Wii U discs. For a handheld about double the power of the Wii U these carts should be fine.

In all fairness, that 10GB is data that's already on the disc. It's just that the load times from the disc drive are really long on its own.

MacTag

Banned
That's very few for such an expansive library, and most of them quite recently, doesn't hurt my point. I'm essentially saying that 64 GB in 2017 is not happening if only due to cost. Also, yes some publishers there are small, but I'm seeing a lot of Level-5, Nintendo, Atlus/Sega, Capcom, Konami, Koei Tecmo, and Square Enix... Also, Marvelous isn't really that small in Japan, so I don't see your point at all, those are big publishers and not super-niche games.

Also, 4 GB may have been there day 1 for 3DS but they didn't start until almost a year later with Revelations. That's close enough that it might very well have been available day 1 actually, along with a mythical 8 GB card.
Well it's more than the handful several posters listed. Also I said some niche titles, not niche publishers. Things like Pachipara, Devil Survivor or Senran Kagura certainly qualify. If 4GB was prohibitively expensive I doubt those sorts of games with small print runs would've used them. It's been speculated games haven't exceeded 4GB because that's the max file size 3DS file system can read.

I'd also agree with 64GB probably not happening in 2017, but it's going to happen eventually. I'd be wary of trying to ferrit out costs too, most people just look at sd card prices to gauge it but in reality mask rom is cheaper than flash.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Well it's more than the handful several posters listed. Also I said some niche titles, not niche publishers. Things like Pachipara, Devil Survivor or Senran Kagura certainly qualify. If 4GB was prohibitively expensive I doubt those sorts of games with small print runs would've used them. It's been speculated games haven't exceeded 4GB because that's the max file size 3DS file system can read.

I'd also agree with 64GB probably not happening in 2017, but it's going to happen eventually. I'd be wary of trying to ferrit out costs too, most people just look at sd card prices to gauge it but in reality mask rom is cheaper than flash.

I said they weren't super-niche, and come on, SMT doesn't really count as that niche in Japan. We're talking an enhanced DS port that debuted #1. Also, most of the list isn't niche, and seemingly none of the publishers are small, certainly not the ones I listed, which is relevant too.

Mediking

Really hope they let the press and normal people get their hands on the NX so they can give feedback to Nintendo on what should be fixed or changed (reasonably) before its launch.

ckfy63a

I'm on Team September 9th. It'd be perfect timing: make the announcement on the usual day of Tuesday (9/6), ahead of the Neo event to maybe steal some attention and mindshare.

_PsiFire_

I wouldn't hold it past Nintendo to reveal it in a direct before TGS and make a surprise announcement that journalists can get hands on a short distance away from the TGS location.

Who gives a fuck what the 3ds games were size wise?

That has virtually no baring on the NX. The arch and capabilities are gonna be totally different and so will storage needs. Idk wtf looking at the 3ds tells us.

yeah I'm confused as well. You're better off comparing the size of Wii U games since the NX is a couple levels above it(allegedly).

For me personally if file sizes are around or a little more than Wii U games this raises a problem for me if I want to go all digital. Sure I will need to buy an external hard drive but that kind of counter intuitive to the point of a handheld, no? Are there 1TB SD cards? Probably expensive as hell.

Roo

Jesus H. Christ. Nintendo needs to unveil this thing now. If not at least because their shit is getting leaked as it is. Keep waiting and before they know it a picture of the console will leak out.
I actually expect that to be the final nail in the coffin lol

Would be funny as hell. "Here this is our brand new system!"

-meh.. We've seen it already...

Simply because they decided to sit on their hands in the meantime lol

Cuburt

The WSJ doesn't really report "rumors" so much as unofficial news. They're a premier business news publication, there is a high degree of certainty to what they report.
Yeah this is not like other NX rumors.

WSJ, and even Nikkei, have such solid track records with Nintendo leaks that this has basically a 99% chance of being true imo.

People are too used to these shoddy sources on the rest of the web given credibility by gaming sites, fan sites, youtubers, and forums.

I actually expect that to be the final nail in the coffin lol

Would be funny as hell. "Here this is our brand new system!"

-meh.. We've seen it already...

Simply because they decided to sit on their hands in the meantime lol

We haven't seen any games or had leaks on them. That matters more.

We haven't seen any games or had leaks on them. That matters more.

That's right, and I doubt Emily or other insiders know nothing about the games. They get their hands on dev kits, so surely they know one or two games on NX. I think they purposely hid those info to avoid spoiling the surprises / endangering their sources.

That's right, and I doubt Emily or other insiders know nothing about the games. They get their hands on dev kits, so surely they know one or two games on NX. I think they purposely hid those info to avoid spoiling the surprises / endangering their sources.
Yeah, they can't leak games because that would tie back to these studios and some may not want to spoil games since to most of us we're looking forward to that the most.

Banned
Really hope they let the press and normal people get their hands on the NX so they can give feedback to Nintendo on what should be fixed or changed (reasonably) before its launch.
It's kind of too late for that if it's presumably already being manufactured.

schaft0620

They just had a Direct for the 3DS, they clearly still have some game(s) to release on that platform that they want to sell and not take marketing away from. Can't see them showing it off this year.

MacTag

Banned
I said they weren't super-niche, and come on, SMT doesn't really count as that niche in Japan. We're talking an enhanced DS port that debuted #1. Also, most of the list isn't niche, and seemingly none of the publishers are small, certainly not the ones I listed, which is relevant too.
Devil Survivor isn't really SMT, despite the western branding. It's sort of a spinoff of a spinoff. Also if 4GB was crazy expensive why would Atlus bother for a port of a 256MB DS game?

And Irem is super small. So is Xseed actually, and Atlus USA was too before Sega took over their distribution.

Piers

WSJ, and even Nikkei, have such solid track records with Nintendo leaks that this has basically a 99% chance of being true imo.

People are too used to these shoddy sources on the rest of the web given credibility by gaming sites, fan sites, youtubers, and forums.

WSJ will technically be right. Nintendo President unveils the NX's actual name and nothing more.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Except WSJ usually doesn't make posts like this.

Usually they are like we've heard say Apple is gonna unveil the new iPhone in Sept says our sources.

Instead this is like analysts say Nintendo could announce something before TGS.

They didn't really drop info this time around which is surprising. WSJ usually doesn't comment on things till they KNOW.

Dystify

Except WSJ usually doesn't make posts like this.

Usually they are like we've heard say Apple is gonna unveil the new iPhone in Sept says our sources.

Instead this is like analysts say Nintendo could announce something before TGS.

They didn't really drop info this time around which is surprising. WSJ usually doesn't comment on things till they KNOW.

It felt to me kinda like an attention grab part since the article didn't have anything new reported anyway. If he didn't mention the analyst expectation (which basically tells us nothing) we probably wouldn't even be talking about this article anymore.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It felt to me kinda like an attention grab part since the article didn't have anything new reported anyway. If he didn't mention the analyst expectation (which basically tells us nothing) we probably wouldn't even be talking about this article anymore.

WSJ doesn't need an attention grab.

Them coming out and saying this means it is incredibly likely NX reveal is before TGS.

WSJ doesn't need an attention grab.

Them coming out and saying this means it is incredibly likely NX reveal is before TGS.
It says analysts say an announcement could come before TGS. Analysts are just making a guess and an announcement could mean "here's when we'll reveal the NX".

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It says analysts say an announcement could come before TGS. Analysts are just making a guess and an announcement could mean "here's when we'll reveal the NX".

The fact that WSJ is reporting on it leads veracity to it. They have a rock-solid track record with solid sources.

They don't post stuff like this to get in on the hype train. They post it as a way to say, "Hey, we know it's coming soon, but can't say anything yet."

Top Bottom