• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Yahoo to Change Name to Altaba; Marissa Mayer to Leave Yahoo Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Yahoo Inc. said its Chief Executive Marissa Mayer and co-founder David Filo will step down from the board after the sale of its core business is completed, and the company will change its name to Altaba Inc.

The company said in a regulatory filing that the moves would happen after the closing of the roughly $4.8 billion sale of its core business to Verizon Communications Inc.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/after-s...ard-yahoo-to-change-name-to-altaba-1484002787

To clarify:
  • Verizon agreed last year to buy Flickr, Tumblr, Yahoo Mail and all other assets from Yahoo's core business
  • Yahoo will retain its "cash, its shares in Alibaba Group Holdings, its shares in Yahoo Japan, Yahoo's convertible notes, certain minority investments, and Yahoo's non-core patents (called the Excalibur portfolio)" and will change its name to Altaba

D i Z

What does Altaba mean? Alt-tab? I would think that it would be the harshest of mistakes to adopt any moniker with Alt- anything as the read of the title.

Volimar

Yahoo has two things going for them. People too lazy to change their email addresses and name recognition. Boneheaded move.

FinKL

Did Alibaba come up with the name?

What's gonna happen to my Yahoo Fantasy Sports. Guess I shoulda picked ESPN

Alt-ABBA?
Abba-Black-Metal.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom