• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Yahoo to Change Name to Altaba; Marissa Mayer to Leave Yahoo Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faddy

Banned
Correct, mostly. Altaba is Yahoo's investment arm, spun off as it's own company. They have billions in assets. We will most likely never hear anything about Altaba unless you watch stock tickers. Also: Marissa Mayer is still the CEO for now.

And since the sale effectively ends the company as a tech company it makes sense that Mayer will step down after the sale completes.

Why would you give up the name recognition of Yahoo?
Because the name is now associated with 1 billion hacked accounts and a sunk business under Marissa Mayer. She will get a nice parachute though, so don't worry about her.

I'm still mad at her for scrapping the work from home policy completely. Her grand idea was that if people are together, it creates good vibes and ideas. Yeah right. Company got completely buttfucked to the ground.

Madness

This will ruin the movie the Frequency where the kid tells his fathers friend in the past Yahoo is his secret phrase that brings him luck so he remembers to invest in it. Who knew Yahoo would be Altaba in the future lol.

rrvv

ysmFGyq.jpg

does this button combination do anything?

Yahoo's stake in alibaba (and to a lesser extent yahoo japan) is so valuable the entire point of the company is basically to figure out how not to pay tax on the gain. I imagine this sort of accomplishes that by spinning off the actual business and leaving behind a portfolio that will almost be an alibaba proxy.

What an awful name...

The fall of Yahoo over the last 10 or so years has been amazing, fighting the MS buyout has to be one of the biggest blunders in that time. That Alibaba stake they bought back in 2005 probably the only good investment they've had.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully this means I never have to stylistically type "Yahoo!" ever again.

But I'm not really going to care enough to write Altaba so I'll probably continue to type Yahoo!. Or just Yahoo.

In May 2016, it was revealed that Mayer would receive $55 million if she is terminated without cause within one year of Yahoo!'s sale.

Crazy that she would still get so much even while being scorned for her performance there. How can someone fuck up a business so bad but still be guaranteed so much money for it?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why is everyone shit talking Marissa Mayer?

I'm pretty sure Yahoo was a dead ship before 2012.
IIRC she was key in the Tumblr purchase, which many see as the big risk Yahoo took to revitalize their brand and get it's footing that ended up as a sort of killshot, and the company continued to tank under her leadership.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I get that Yahoo's no Google, but why would you get rid of your brand? Especially for a horrendously dumb sounding name like "Altabababa".

lol Jesus Christ this company is a mess

Wasn't there news that they were turning things around recently and performing better than ever? LOL.

The company formally know as Yahoo! literally has zero consumer facing businesses anymore. Altaba (still) consist of its investments in other companies, such as Yahoo Japan (an independent entity that was always majority owned by the Japanese conglomerate Softbank), and more notably, Alibaba.

Those consumer facing assets (such as Answers, Flickr, Mail) aren't changing to Altaba Mail, etc. because these assets are now by Verizon.

it's literally nothing.

numble

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's like Google changing its name to Alphabet. We still go to Google.com and Google Gmail. Our email isn't now magically @alphabet.com. They'll keep the names for obvious reasons. Even Apple still has @me.com addresses even though the site now redirects to iCloud.com. You can't inconvenience your members willy nilly.

norinrad

Most people would say Marissa was forced out for being a woman, though she was forced out for not being able to change things and totally putting the final nail in a company that was already dying when she took over.

I was rooting for her to succeed and turn things around. Sadly that did not happen. I will wait for her book.

So sounds like Yahoo as we know it (a web site. a news source, etc.) isn't changing its name.

Yahoo and Yahoo news, etc are now owned by Verizon.

Altaba is the new name for the company that just sold off most of its assets.

Is that right? Altaba now has nothing to do with Yahoo.com hence the name change?

Yahoo.com isn't changing it's name, either are other branded assets.

Yeah, don't most of the posters here have it backwards?
Bad thread title.

medrew

Why would you invest in Altaba if you wanted to invest in Alibaba?
Is there some weird stock rule that I don't know about that makes that process make sense?

Yahoo can't sell their stakes in Alibaba or Yahoo Japan without incurring a tax bill. So even if their stakes are worth say $30b they will have to pay tax of $10b so effectively it is only worth $20b. They have been looking for a way for years to make the capital gains tax free to return to shareholders.
No-one wants to invest in altaba persay, rather there is just not easy way to maximize shareholder value so the holding company will exist until such a day they find one that the IRS won't force a hefty tax bill on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom