• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF did DICE do to BF4 Team Deathmatch / Domination Maps

Boss Mog

While netcode has been improving with each update and it's pretty rare that I find myself dying unjustly anymore, DICE have done more bad than good overall I feel with their patches in the interest of "balance".

I have no issues with any tweaks they did to balance all the guns in regards to damage, bullet speed, rounds per minute, spread, bullet drop, etc... I do have a problem with them taking out all the fun things in the game though.

First they nerfed the SRAW rocket launcher's Wombo Combo which basically allowed you to direct 2 or 3 launched rockets at a target so that they would impact close together so that targets had little time to react or escape. This didn't allow for firing 2 or 3 rockets at once or some cheap hack like that, you actually had to launch the rockets one at a time and reload between each one and you couldn't move during any of this so it was very high risk but also very high reward. It's not something you could do in the middle of a firefight. It kind of had to be on an unsuspecting target like those assholes who take the AA armor and camp within their own base. Those guys would think they were untouchable but with the Wombo Combo you could destroy them before they had time to run away and go hide.

Then they nerfed the Staff Shell in tanks, more specifically the quick switching between the staff shell and your main shell. This might have seemed a bit OP but it also had its drawbacks. Basically instead of having a machine gun as the secondary weapon on your tank you could have a different type of shell, one that did less damage than a regular shell but one that would auto-lock on when fired close to targets. What made this Op is the fact that you could quickly switch back and forth between the main shell and the staff shell and fire almost non-stop at tanks and other vehicles. You still had to adjust your aim between shots though because the main shell would drop quickly and have an arc to its trajectory whereas the staff shell was more like a bullet that flew straight. While this was great for taking out tanks, it was somewhat of a double-edged sword since without a machine gun it was very hard to take out infantry and you could easily die from rockets or even a guy coming up to your tank and sticking C4 on it. Also your enemies could also be using the staff shell in their tanks so there was no guarantee of you having any kind of advantage either. overall though it made tank battles more fun and intense i thought.

Then they nerfed the M2 Slam. Not only did they reduce the damage to where 3 of them (which is the max you can carry initially) are no longer enough to take out a tank, they'll only do 87% damage, but they also reduced its range. They also took away the ability to stick them on vehicles and then drive the vehicles into a tank and jump out before the impact. If you jump out of a vehicle with M2 SLAMs on it it will explode instantly. you can still use them to take out tanks you just have to stay in the car til the impact and sacrifice yourself though, now the only way to not die while using an explosive battering ram is to use C4 and jump out of the jeep or quad and then detonate it once the empty vehicle is within range of the enemy armor. This wouldn't be a huge issue if it wasn't for the fact that the Enigineer class can't use C4 so the M2 SLAM was their only way of doing this.

So today I go to play some BF4 for the first time in a while. I load up some Conquest on Naval Strike maps and i quickly notice that they nerfed the TV missles on Attack Boats, you can no longer fire two in a row. So after that I was kinda bummed and decided to go play some Team Deathmatch cause that mode is kind of like old school CoD since CoD is all about jet packs and such now. And this is where I discover the most horrific thing ever, DICE actually took out ALL ladders and elevators from the small TDM / Domination maps. They've actually made huge parts of the maps inaccessible and they took out any verticality that the gameplay had. On Siege of Shanghai you can't even go on the roof anymore. it was so much fun being up there but also taking out people that were up there. i remember killing a lot of people by shooting the glass under their feet and them falling to their deaths. Or sniper rooftop battles on Lancang Dam. going up the tower or crane on Rogue Transmission. All that gameplay gone.

TL;DR: Basically DICE took out all ladders and elevators out of the Team Deathmatch maps making them flat hollow shells of what they once were

Anyway sorry for the rant. Are you guys cool with this?

EDIT: Also I forgot to add that while DICE did all this, they still haven't done shit about base campers that snipe or use vehicles from the safety of their own base.

DICE? Fucking up? Well, this is news to me.

But on a different, more related note: some TDM maps have ladders still. Or maybe those are bigger TDM maps? Are these TDM maps you mention some smaller version?

Land mine kamikazis suck.
Wombo Combo Sucks
Staff Shell sucks

Good nerfs.

I just want my 2 TV guided missiles back for the DV15 and RCB.

VariantX

Frankly, because in a TDM/DOM situation, the roof tops are very easy to defend positions that can be held with only a handful of players giving the team that gets enough players up there first them a huge advantage.

Boss Mog

Frankly, because in a TDM/DOM situation, the roof tops are very easy to defend positions that can be held with only a handful of players giving the team that gets enough players up there first them a huge advantage.

I've never had too much trouble getting people off rooftops but when I did I would simply switch to Support class and use the mortar on them. Worked really well, particularly on Zavod 311 because those roofs are pretty small.

Sounds like the things you dislike dont really bother me that much.

I only ever played 64 player Conquest maps anyway.

Top Bottom