• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF? Vita has a 100 application/game limit?

Despera

Banned
d7hys.jpg-153o7l.jpg
ice cold! :lol

What's the reason behind this? Surely not hardware limitations.

Kysen

The reason for this limit is because the list of apps is stored on the Vitas internal memory. It seems that Sony was undecided on what to do if the user had multiple memory cards or none. It's also the reason why when you insert another memory card on the same account everything is all messed up.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The reason for this limit is because the list of apps is stored on the Vitas internal memory. It seems that Sony was undecided on what to do if the user had multiple memory cards or none. It's also the reason why when you insert another memory card on the same account everything is all messed up.
This is messed up on so many levels it's not ever funny. Console vendors should stop re-discovering the wheel.

softie

They aren't really "messed up", it's just that the ORDER of apps is only stored inside the internal memory and not the memcard itself and when switching cards, the default order is restored again, which is is determined by the BLES/BLUS/etc. codes of all apps/games. It's not random by itself. Could be easily fixed, if they externalized the order to the memcard.

As to why there are only 100 slots:
It's simply a design decision. Their design guys wanted to place the bubbles in some kind of pattern with a certain size, so they could only fit ten bubbles on a screen. Their design guys wanted to have a manageable size of screens, so they've stuck with ten screens. Voilà 100 app limit was created. ;-)

Kup

img%5D

That seems rather low. It also seems like the sort of thing that will be increased in the future.

Also I suck in MS Paint.

M3d10n

The 3DS one keeps expanding by 60 when space is running out to accommodate all of your programs. I don't think it has a hard, arbitrary limit.

There is a limit, somewhere. There's a file in the SD card which contains a list of all titles in it and it takes memory, even if the system can unload icons that aren't visible in the screen.

Yup, hopefully it doesn't take as long to get them as it took 3DS.

Pretty much already too late. Folders would have had to have been released in December for that. Since technically it was launched 2 months later in the rest of the world, they'd have to have them by the middle of February. Otherwise they'll fall in the same 13 month from release period. (which it's technically already in since it launched in December in Japan)

AwRy108

True for Vita native apps. Thankfully, there's a loophole in the form of Cloud Saving, but paying $60/year for the right to delete your Vita games without the saves getting nuked is silly nonsense.

Who pays $60?

Also, saves can be backed up in seconds FOR FREE to a PC or PS3 by using the Content Manager app that's included on every Vita.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
folders would be great. I'm not yet full, but I have pages per game type (apps, Vita, PSone, minis etc) with custom wallpaper, so I have an effective self-imposed limit of 20 games for vita. With folders I could keep that layout but with more games.

Cheech

Vita got 99 problems but games ain't one

I am genuinely curious what these games are. I can't even justify keeping a dozen games on my PC at any given time, and that's a platform with hundreds of thousands of games. GOOD games.

Dragon

Banned
what? is this true?
fucking terrible decision

This has been known for over a year now. You can easily back up your saves to the cloud or to a device depending if you have plus or not. It's also the same way iOS works unfortunately. I think the save thing should be addressed before the 100 app thing.

May16

games..? .. no ... it has lots of games.. it needs Games that are worthwile the purchase of the Vita..

As someone who owns 20 Vita games, I know that it HAS games.
It needs games that'll sell the system to more people -- kind of like what you said and kind of like what people often mean when they say something "has no games." You're basically saying the same thing I did, with more words and extra terms and an increase in wordiness and also more terminology too as well additionally.

The limitation is really 10 pages of 10 bubbles each.

I am around 90 bubbles and that is worring me also.

Plus the limitation applies also to cart games. Each time you play a card it creates a bubble, which usually stores the savegame. I do not want to backup/delete/restore my games that much.

Hanmik

As someone who owns 20 Vita games, I know that it HAS games.
It needs games that'll sell the system to more people -- kind of like what you said and kind of like what people often mean when they say something "has no games." You're basically saying the same thing I did, with more words and extra terms and an increase in wordiness and also more terminology too as well additionally.

ok.. what now..? do I shake your hand.?

I'm surprised you can put over 100 things on there without hitting a memory limit. The biggest memory card is 32GB, right?

Not defending Sony here because seems to be a bizarre, arbitary limit. Just surprised.

Dragon

Banned
I'm surprised you can put over 100 things on there without hitting a memory limit. The biggest memory card is 32GB, right?

Not defending Sony here because seems to be a bizarre, arbitary limit. Just surprised.

There are tons of minis which don't take that much space at all.

Nilaul

The limitation is really 10 pages of 10 bubbles each.

I am around 90 bubbles and that is worring me also.

Plus the limitation applies also to cart games. Each time you play a card it creates a bubble, which usually stores the savegame. I do not want to backup/delete/restore my games that much.

This all done obviously to boost Vita sales, to force people by a 2nd vita :p

Zee-Row

Banned
What the fuck are you putting in there that takes 100 bubbles? I have a 32gb and I have like 5 vita games 7 PSP games and 5 PS1 games and I've only got 2 gigs of space left.

I don't even think you can fit 100 with the 10 page limit they give.
Or maybe that adds to exactly 100.

Yeah, it's something that needs to be looked into and page/bubble capacity needs to be increased to accommodate however much space you have on your memory card.

In fact, not only does the capacity need to be increased, there needs to be a folder feature. Some kind of way of categorizing the type (Vita, PS1, PSP, etc) of content, either manual folders or automatic. The same way you can sort by manual folders or automatic platform-specific ones by pressing Square on the Games tab on the XMB on PS3.

It gets messy and fast by just dropping everything on one vertical column page-by-page, and type-sorted content that cover more than one page but not quite the next one is a waste of a page.

The Vita library alone (games+apps) is getting larger and larger, and people with even a medium amount of PS1, TurboGfx, NeoGeo, PSP, PS Mobile, Minis, etc. games combined with that will fill up the limit soon enough.

entremet

What the fuck are you putting in there that takes 100 bubbles? I have a 32gb and I have like 5 vita games 7 PSP games and 5 PS1 games and I've only got 2 gigs of space left.

It's apps as well. Not just games. Also physical retail games create bubbles.

Top Bottom