• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K14 (Take-Two/Yukes, 360/PS3) releasing on October 29th

Effect

and never forget

tumblr_m9jy0kBwnU1qzl7f5o1_1280.png

I wonder if this even bothers them. I'd be extremely embarrassed at this comparison.

blurrygil

Well, I'm sure I'm in the minority in saying I'm excited for '14. I have my wishes, gripes, etc. But all in all and in the end, it's fun. Especially the creation features.

Apparently 2k is having community leaders come out to their HQ for a weeks worth of playtesting? Just straight up giving feedback. That, IMHO, is pretty damn cool.

And shame there's no Wii U support. I was hoping for a live "backstage booker/GM mode" for someone playing as an extra on the GamePad. Imagine playing a Vs. Match, you hit your big finish on your mate, and the 3rd player secretly selects that the ref decides not to count. They then send in a run-in to interfere. While dealing with the run-in, you're distracted and get rolled up. 3rd player makes the ref fast-count you out and job you out of your title. I'd get a serious wild kick out of that...

*snaps out of daydream*

We're never going to get another WWE All Stars type game, are we?

Such a shame. All it needed were beefier create-a-wrestler and more match options and it would've been the best wrestling game since Aki started dressing in Harajuku fashion and started calling herself "Syn Sophia"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If Nintendo was in a better position they could probably bring on their buddies at Syn Sophia to make a generic wrestling game that is a million times better than the Yukes product, a revival of NES Pro Wrestling with a next gen AKI engine.

If Nintendo was in a better position they could probably bring on their buddies at Syn Sophia to make a generic wrestling game that is a million times better than the Yukes product, a revival of NES Pro Wrestling with a next gen AKI engine.

Oh. My. God.

OH MY GOD.

Nothing will ever live up to this idea. Someone forward this post to Iwata and Reggie.

Effect

I miss the days of the wrestling games on the N64. I never bothered to really get into fighting games because of that. Wrestling games were more my style.

rvy

Banned

Syn Sophia <3.

i would have much rather had yukes do their stuff without the thq strike team or whatever it was brought over by 2k. I think yukes could make a good sim that plays well for non fans, its just the license fucking them over with the demands of the wwe universe crap. I liked em better when they were reskinned japanese games (the aki games).

I am interested in that 5 Star Wrestling on PSN this summer tho...

dreamfall

No. I love the Yukes games, have done since the first Smackdown game.

I think WWE '12 & '13 were definitely on the up, and the inclusion of the Attitude Era was brilliant.

But gameplay wise, things have to shake up a little bit. Still love Universe mode and jumping into random matches, but I'd like to see some evolution.

Bumhead

Banned
We're never going to get another WWE All Stars type game, are we?

Such a shame. All it needed were beefier create-a-wrestler and more match options and it would've been the best wrestling game since Aki started dressing in Harajuku fashion and started calling herself "Syn Sophia"

To be honest All Stars with more modes (or at least just Royal Rumble) and more wrestlers is all I want from a wrestling game, ever.

I don't even follow wrestling that much anymore but an All Stars 2 would instantly be my most anticipated game.

Anyway, sod the Wii U - nobody cares. Are we ever going to get a PC wrestling game ever again?

I think WWE '12 & '13 were definitely on the up, and the inclusion of the Attitude Era was brilliant.

But gameplay wise, things have to shake up a little bit. Still love Universe mode and jumping into random matches, but I'd like to see some evolution.

I agree with everything you said. My BIG concern is that if we go to a new developer a lot of the customization features that Yukes has added over the years will disappear. The customization has become a huge part of the franchise for me and is one of the big reasons I go back.

Either way, the gameplay does need a complete overhaul.

MCN

Banned
I agree with everything you said. My BIG concern is that if we go to a new developer a lot of the customization features that Yukes has added over the years will disappear. The customization has become a huge part of the franchise for me and is one of the big reasons I go back.

Definitely this. I spend literally hours with each new game creating myself and my best mate, with custom finishing moves, entrance movies and music, pyros, movesets and everything. It would be tragic if we lost all of that.

C-Drive

Oh. My. God.

OH MY GOD.

Nothing will ever live up to this idea. Someone forward this post to Iwata and Reggie.

Let's bomb miiverse with posts and suggestions.

They could make it digital-only to make sure they did profit from it - and I think it would sell a couple thousand Wii Us just by the fact it was made.

I hope this game is a Monday Night Wars game that has ALL the Attitude and WcW guys on it.I hope they fixed the rights so they can get Angle, Dudleys and Taz.

Dysun

Even with attittude mode I was mega-disappointed by WWE13. I hadn't played one of these games since like 06 and it was worse than I remember

SYM and HCTP were great games. I guess it reflected on the roster at the time, which was stacked at an all time high, with pretty much every star from the Attitude era, ECW, WCW some legends and some new blood like Brock Lesnar

rvy

Banned
Fire Pro for the XBLA is one of the better wrestling games I've played in a big while. Fun and simple.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Rather see the old N64 games on XBLA or PSN than anything from Yukes. I would gladly spend 39.99 or even 49.99 on a HD port of those games.

Fire Pro for the XBLA is one of the better wrestling games I've played in a big while. Fun and simple.

I completely skipped it due to the Avatar nonsense but I might have to give it a try now.

I'll do what I do every year and buy it and let my cousins play the hell out of it while I continue to play Rumble Roses & Muscle Gran Prix 2 all by lonesome for some good wrestling action.

Here's hoping for another WWE All-Stars game.

And whatever happened to WrestleFest on XBLA? All I heard was it was complete ass on iOS and nothing other than however.

Limit

I stopped buying this series after 2009 with the intention of going back when they made the move of using a new engine for PS360. That day has yet to come. Still using the same old PS2 engine. Its absurd.

Now for PS4/8 they have to be developing a new engine for this series. It would be downright criminal if they decide on keeping this game on a decade plus old engine for the sake of churning out this series on 3 different generations of hardware.

At it's height, THQ was releasing three different FULL FEATURED wrestling games a year. I don't expect 2K to do that but a secondary arcade title like All-Stars seems like something everyone would appreciate. Hopefully they can deliver.

I stopped buying this series after 2009 with the intention of going back when they made the move of using a new engine for PS360. That day has yet to come. Still using the same old PS2 engine. Its absurd.

Now for PS4/8 they have to be developing a new engine for this series. It would be downright criminal if they decide on keeping this game on a decade plus old engine for the sake of churning out this series on 3 different generations of hardware.

When they moved to PS360 and decided to go with a single game across all platforms they should have gone with the Day of Reckoning 2 engine. THEY CHOSE POORLY.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
For this generation. The PS1 and PS2 era Smackdown games were amazing at the time. It all went to shit when they brought the engine over to 360 and PS3 instead of starting a brand new engine from scratch.

It's worse than that. They had a much better engine they used for the GCN games that they completely scrapped when they merged into the SvR games late in the PS2 era.

BD1

Banned
Nintendo consoles have such a great history of wrestling games. Another day, another big casual annual franchise skipping Wii U.

Striker

Even with attittude mode I was mega-disappointed by WWE13. I hadn't played one of these games since like 06 and it was worse than I remember
I don't think it was as bad as SvR 11, but last year's game is pretty much better. The single player is fine, nothing tortuous, but it's the glitches and removal of some reversal techniques they had in the recent games that made the game more tolerable. One glitch that isn't even highlighted in these gifs, and still unexplained by me as to how they happen, is where one person will do move (often seems like it's a finisher or an OMG moment) and the enemy will stay on the ground for eternity. The person can get up but only if somebody tries to pick them up or do a move and is reversed.

There's so many hilarious glitches. A referee will often force you to get out of the ring in tag team matches, but if you try this when he has a weapon in his hand, he'll do a weapon move to you like sticking the sledgehammer handle down your throat, or toss steps onto your head.

I'm expecting it is just a re-skin with better testing as I'm sure THQ never did that under their regime, and they have a brand new developer doing these games after.

Penguin

Nintendo consoles have such a great history of wrestling games. Another day, another big casual annual franchise skipping Wii U.

I feel like they've done their best to poison the well with the brand on the consoles anyhow

Followed up the great N64 wrestling games with WrestleMania x8 which was pretty damn barebones and strange, but by the end of the generation I'd be lying if I didn'tt say that Day of Reckoning 1/2 are some of my favorite wrestling games...

Then we enter the Wii era.. and they want the Wii games to be different from the HD games, but don't want to continue the DoR model.. so they create these weird.. hybrid not quite arcade, not quite sim wrestling games... which are pretty damn barebones.

JdFoX187

Banned
I don't think it was as bad as SvR 11, but last year's game is pretty much better. The single player is fine, nothing tortuous, but it's the glitches and removal of some reversal techniques they had in the recent games that made the game more tolerable. One glitch that isn't even highlighted in these gifs, and still unexplained by me as to how they happen, is where one person will do move (often seems like it's a finisher or an OMG moment) and the enemy will stay on the ground for eternity. The person can get up but only if somebody tries to pick them up or do a move and is reversed.

There's so many hilarious glitches. A referee will often force you to get out of the ring in tag team matches, but if you try this when he has a weapon in his hand, he'll do a weapon move to you like sticking the sledgehammer handle down your throat, or toss steps onto your head.

I'm expecting it is just a re-skin with better testing as I'm sure THQ never did that under their regime, and they have a brand new developer doing these games after.

You have to admit, seeing Charles Robinson throttle Big Boss Man with a sledgehammer and throw the steel steps on Rey Mysterio was fucking hilarious.

Wasn't their idea to get Yukes to do 2k14 and then bring 2k15 in-house? Less than one year simply wasn't long enough to start a new game from scratch.

This is what we were lead to believe when they announced the purchase of the license. I hope it is still the case, I've had a lot of fun with the Yukes games over the years but I dream of a modern, feature complete, next gen wrestling game.

I hope which ever 2K studio takes on the challenge is up to the task.

Top Bottom