• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE NXT |OT| The Best Indy Wrestling free on Hulu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Watch this week's episode: Free on Hulu

wwe_nxtbnl6b.jpg

Starting last week, WWE NXT airs for free on Hulu. This show is, at this moment, arguably the best wrestling product in production right now. So, I wanted to spend some time to give it some exposure, as it's a hidden gem that many either don't know about or simply ignore, because it's not Raw. Not only do new episodes get added every Wednesday, but all older episodes are free to stream as well. Watch out though, before Season 6 WWE NXT was a contest show, the current WWE NXT described in this post starts Season 6 onwards.

So, what is WWE NXT?
So, what many people don't know is that aside from the wrestlers you see on Smackdown and Raw, WWE actually employs up to a hundred more that are in -what they call- their developmental system. These are mostly younger (20-something) wrestlers that either came from independent wrestling, from Japan's wrestling scene or from other professions and are being trained down in Orlando, Florida. WWE has opened up a brand new Development Center. The purpose here is that these people are employed and paid and train under veterans of the business in anything from in-ring to promo's and character development. Every month however, they go out of the development system and partner up with Full Sail University, it is there they tape four episodes of WWE NXT. The students at full sail are involved in the production of these shows, from camera work up to editing. So aside from the wrestlers getting experience from such veterans as Jim Ross, Dusty Rhodes and William Regal, the university and WWE also provide value experience to their students.

So, why should I watch NXT?
As said, NXT hosts a variety of young wrestlers, some come from non-wrestling background, but most of the MVP's on the show have backgrounds in independent wrestling. Over the past year, WWE has been offering contracts to pretty much every top worker in the US and as such, NXT has perhaps the best roster outside of Raw and Smackdown in wrestling today. At the very least in the US. Furthermore, NXT gives time for matches, doesn't waste that much time on skits and promo's and best of all, doesn't recap what happened on Raw for half an hour like Smackdown does. It's wrestling in it's purest form. Not only that, but WWE marks a return to 90's, with many colourful gimmicks, the effects can be seen on the main roster. Guys like Damien Sandow and Bray Wyatt have developed their respective characters in NXT, before being called up to the main roster. Every taping, one or more main roster superstars appear on NXT to work with the young talent, giving them long wrestling matches with fresh match-ups (at least fresh for WWE) which are entertaining as well as great training for the rookies.

So, who do I watch out for on this show?
There aren't many wrestlers that aren't to be enjoyed on this show, but here is a list of the MVP's on WWE NXT right now. This only includes people that aren't yet on the main WWE roster.
samizayn642.jpg

Canadian-born and of Syrian descent, Sami Zayn has only recently joined WWE, but has spend many years as an Indy wrestling favourite, wrestling as the masked El Generico. He's amongst the best high flyers in the world right now and has been a stand-out competitor in WWE since his arrival, showing not only great skill in the ring, but on the mic as well. He recently worked a program with Antonio Cesaro (also, a independent stand-out) which provided what is universally regarded as one of the best matches this year (see below for a link).

20130225_642xvariable_NXT-SSpg-template-adrienne.jpg

Adrian Neville is another high-flying standout, previously known in the independents as PAC, he has impressed with his in-ring ability more than anyone. Having honed his ability for many years in the US and Dragon Gate Japan, this British born competitor is a sight to behold.

NXTbio_Paige.jpg

Paige, better known as Britani Knight, is one of the most promising female wrestlers in a long time. She's only just turned 21 years old and comes from one of the UK's most fames professional wrestling families. She is the first ever and current NXT Women's Champion and has adopted the role of anti-diva.

20130225_642xvariable_NXT-SSpg-template_kassius.jpg

For years Kassius Ohno was known as Chris Hero, teaming up with Claudio Castagnoli (Antonio Cesaro) as the Kings of Wrestling. He is one of the most talented wrestlers in the world and, if rumors are correct, will be promoted to the main roster shortly.

20130528_642xvariable_NXT-SSpg-template_sylvester.jpg

Hailing from Nice, France we have Sylvester LeFort. LeFort is a magnificent manager to the southern redneck Scott Dawson and continues to impress with his mic-work. At least, as long as you can understand him through his thick French accent.

20130225_642xvariable_NXT-SSpg-template_emma.jpg

Don't let Emma's clumsy behaviour and silly dancing fool you, because this girl can kick ass. Her fascination for bubbles and bad dance music is a cause for concern though. However, we will hear from this Australian beauty for many years to come no doubt.

20130807_642xvariable_NXT-SSpg-template_bailey.jpg

Girls don't get more adorable then Bayley, the constantly awestruck girl who stalks main roster wrestlers and wrestling legends for half a day before hugging them like she's meeting Barney the Dinosaur himself. But what can you expect, when you finally get a WWE contract after being a fan for 10 years?

20130807_642xvariable_NXT-SSpg-template_xavierwoods.jpg

Somehow Xavier Woods has gotten a hold of a time machine, because he's coming to us straight from the 90's. Billed from Angel Grove he comes out to a 90's theme and a Saved By The Bell inspired titantron video. Outside of the ring, he's currently legit working on his PhD, with financial help from WWE. Now that's impressive.

20130225_642xvariable_NXT-SSpg-template_leokruger-2.jpg

Straight from Johannesburg, South Africa comes Leo Kruger, a predator in his own right he has a brutal aproach to wrestling that's hard to match. Kruger has been with WWE for quite some time and is one of the top talent on the roster right now.

June_NXT_47_Tyler_Breeze.jpg

Tyler Breeze has recently debuted a new gimmick, playing a narcissistic model clearly inspired by the movie Zoolander. He's trademark gimmick is his telephone, with which he insists on making as many selfies as he possibly can.

20130807_642xvariable_NXT-SSpg-template_connorobrien.jpg

20130807_642xvariable_NXT-SSpg-template_rickvictor.jpg

Connor O'Brian is a veteran of the developmental system, having teamed with several partners before to form the tag-team The Ascension. Currently partnered in that team with Rick Victor they are brutal and have a pretty awesome ring entrance too.

bo-dallas-nxt-642.jpg

The current NXT Heavyweight Champion, Bo Dallas is one of the least liked people on the roster. To his credit, he's embraced this and is now an over-the-top-face character, pretending he has many "Bolievers" that are behind him. While in fact, the crowds chant for "No More Bo" and turn their backs as he makes his entrance. Interestingly enough, Bo is the younger brother to the wrestler knowns as Bray Wyatt, I bet you didn't figure that one out on your own, did you?

So, convince me by showing me some stuff
But, of course. Try these on for size:
-Sami Zayn vs. Antonio Cesaro (Two out of Three Falls)
-Kassius Ohno vs. William Regal
-Paige vs. Emma (NXT Women's Title Match)
-Seth Rollins vs. Corey Graves
-Leo Kruger vs. Sami Zayn vs. Antonio Cesaro
-Bayley vs. AJ Lee (WWE Divas Championship Match)
-Antonio Cesaro vs. Adrian Neville (US Championship Match)

Nice OT Aiii, NXT is a great show and, now it's readily available worldwide, deserves more attention - it has regularly been the best hour of wrestling television for quite some time now and some of the talent they have on display is amazing.

Everyone should watch that Cesaro vs Zayn 2/3 Falls match. Proper wrasslin'.

snarge

Dang, they got Chris Hero and El Generico now? That's some impressive additions. Is it still filmed at Full Sail?

1) Saw "The Best Indy Wrestling"

2) Came in here for Chikara

3) Saw a bunch of generic cookie cutter nonsense

4) I am disappoint

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

4) I am disappoint

rofl chikara's shit. always has been.
CM Punk said:
. I’m sure it’s no secret that the dorks that run Chikara and I don’t get along, so they’re judgement on trying to “mock” me is a little off. Most other days I just laugh it off because nobody from Chikara will ever be over enough anywhere for anybody else to parody them. I win.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ain't no lie, if you're looking for fun and colorful characters, NXT is where it's at. Really fun show.

Aiii

So not worth it

4) I am disappoint

Chikara has been dead for months, where have you been? Watch any of the matches at the bottom of my post and dare say it's "cookie cutter nonsense" again.

Come on kid, really no reason to blast something before you try it. If El Generico vs. Claudio Castagnoli is only considered good for you if it has bad production quality, there's something wrong with you.

snarge

Every 3-4 weeks, at Full Sail, yes. They've just picked up Sami Callihan and Samuray Del Sol, too.

Not sure who those guys are, unfortunately. I was heavily watching ROH, TNA, and FIP about 4-5 years ago, so that's the time period I'm most familiar with. Do those guys go by other names, because I wouldn't have recognized Generico without the OP pointing it out.

Sucks for me though, I used to work at Full Sail. When I was there, they filmed a Larry the Cable guy movie and the local news station morning show. I leave, and they let in the wrestlers. WTF. TNA Impact was always free to attend at Citywalk at least.

Not sure who those guys are, unfortunately. I was heavily watching ROH, TNA, and FIP about 4-5 years ago, so that's the time period I'm most familiar with. Do those guys go by other names, because I wouldn't have recognized Generico without the OP pointing it out.

Nah, they wouldn't have been particularly well known names back when you were watching - Callihan's from CZW, while Del Sol got his start in AAW. Callihan's a great brawler, very physical wrestler, while Del Sol's one of the best high flyers to emerge in the past few years.

Callihan;

iIq4mck35Ypkp.gif

Del Sol;

i3MWdXObxzVeV.gif

Nameless

I totally missed the news that Chris Hero signed. Not sure I like the new name, though.

Watched a Paige match earlier in the week on Wrassle-GAF's request. <3

How isn't Colt Cabana involved in this somehow?

Btw, OP, I haven't followed ROH for yeaes, but you're telling me NXT surpassed it?

As indy as indy can get. They have the top indy talent. They have the indy crowds. They have the indy style matches.

Sadly, they decided to give them shit gimmicks and they are now all going to get trained into taking awful WWE-Style bumps.

Marvel

could never
Oh and the NXT crowd is consistently awesome... they chant "That was awesome" after Tyler Breezes' entrance. As they fucking should.

4) I am disappoint

Oh, sorry, you're just in the wrong spot for that.

The morgue is that way

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sadly, they decided to give them shit gimmicks and they are now all going to get trained into taking awful WWE-Style bumps.

WWE-Style bumps? So...safe bumps?

Also, basically everyone there wrestles either the exact same or better than they did on the indies. The style doesn't change, that's why they got them in the first place. They're here to be refined.

bigkrev

This thread needs more GIFs of Emma's stupid dance.

Also, glad to see Sami getting signed. Saw an awesome match with him and Generico in EVOLVE, and he always was one of the best guys in CZW. Less sure how I feel about Samuray- they will neuter his high flying (his best attribute), and I don't think he is big enough to make the main roster.

sgt jumpy

Banned
... I graduated from Full Sail's film program(a B.S in 22months, it was a rough schedule, to say the least) in 2008. Fuck, I wish this was around back in my day. After I started, they implemented giving everyone a MacBook Pro. After I graduate, thy sign a deal with WWE. FML.

... I graduated from Full Sail's film program(a B.S in 22months, it was a rough schedule, to say the least) in 2008. Fuck, I wish this was around back in my day. After I started, they implemented giving everyone a MacBook Pro. After I graduate, thy sign a deal with WWE. FML.

Well you have to remember, a lot of this is basically internship stuff; so while it's definitely a sweet damn deal, there's no guarantees of anything after the fact :(

So at least you got a sweet MacBook Pro! :D

Aiii

So not worth it
Also, taking the mask away from Generico might have been a great move.

I mean, the guy looks great.
q91n.jpg

snarge

Something so bizarrely hypnotic about that dance.

Also, didn't the WWE sign Sara Del Rey? Is she headed straight in or going through NXT?

Aiii

So not worth it
Emma and Renee Young are great together.

renee-young-emma.gif

bubbles.gif

Something so bizarrely hypnotic about that dance.

Also, didn't the WWE sign Sara Del Rey? Is she headed straight in or going through NXT?

She was hired in a training position. She actually trains all the women in NXT.

snarge

Emma and Renee Young are great together.

renee-young-emma.gif

bubbles.gif

She was hired in a training position. She actually trains all the women in NXT.

That's cool, I guess all the ladies will be learning how to take a swift and stiff kick. I got to see her live at Joshimania about a year and a half ago around Boston. She has the handshake of a Russian bear.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, watching this weeks episode and I'm sort of warming up to Bo Dallas lately to be honest. His promowork is definitely improving alot since turning heel.

"They're not booing me, they're chanting Booooooooooo!"

Well played Bo.

Marvel

could never
So, watching this weeks episode and I'm sort of warming up to Bo Dallas lately to be honest. His promowork is definitely improving alot since turning heel.

Well played Bo.

Gotta admit, that did make me laugh.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Well played Bo.

Is this still a thing? Something people laugh at?

YOU GOT SOME CROW TO EAT AIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom