• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Raw Ratings: Viewership Hits Record Low

Lucumo

pvwU9WGLYXFoT_V_NxzGcpRiqlw=.gif

Much lower still.

Flexible-Girl-Winning-On-a-Japanese-Game-Show-Doing-Limbo.gif

Mahonay

Banned
I would actually like to see Russo back, the shows would at least be entertaining. Not for the intended reason, of course. But better than the nothing wwe is now.
That is true at least. It would be more interesting than the completely trite garbage that WWE puts together currently.

Lothar

Banned
2000 WCW and his entire run in TNA say otherwise.

Russo knew what he was doing at one time. That time passed a long time ago.

2000 WCW is better than WWE now IMO and it was better than 1999 WCW. I really think WCW 2000 is a hell of a lot more watchable than WWE now.

UberTag

Remember when Vince McMahon went on television and ranted that he would be the one to destroy his own creation by injecting it with a lethal poison?

Just shop Roman Reigns' logo over the NWO symbol on the back of his chair...

25f4fd09c147aca1c3020a9b64aa1ac253ed61a9_hq.gif

Lmao @ people wanting Russo back. This is how you know things are fucking desperate. Enjoy your Kevin Owens pie eating contest storylines.
I would be perfectly happy to see Matt Hardy eat pizza again. Perhaps that would break him. Probably not, though.

tenor.gif

Mahonay

Banned
2000 WCW is better than WWE now IMO and it was better than 1999 WCW. I really think WCW 2000 is a hell of a lot more watchable than WWE now.
Going to have to just agree to disagree there.

Not saying current WWE is good. But fuck man, that 2000 stuff is really hard for me to watch.

Mahonay

Banned
Remember when Vince McMahon went on television and ranted that he would be the one to destroy his own creation by injecting it with a lethal poison?

Just shop Roman Reigns' logo over the NWO symbol on the back of his chair...

25f4fd09c147aca1c3020a9b64aa1ac253ed61a9_hq.gif

I would be perfectly happy to see Matt Hardy eat pizza again. Perhaps that would break him. Probably not, though.
It started with Roman, but their general "fuck what the audience wants and who cares about building logical storylines" has spread throughout their handling of everything now.

When I got back into watching you had Daniel Bryan, The Shield, The Wyatts, The Rhodes Brothers, and then I feel like their last truly engaging main event storyline ended with Taker vs Brock. It used to be just the lower and mid card stuff that was garbage tier TV, now it's everything. There is nothing left to care about. Which is SUPER impressive considering the overall roster they have.

NXT TakeOver is the only good thing WWE does anymore.

kiguel182

I still maintain that 50/50 booking was what killed it. It makes everyone the same and it's predictable and boring and matches rarely mean anything and it's all so bland.

When the Rhodes beat the Shield of the titles it felt huge because they rarely lost. Such a good story they then did nothing with.

Mania 30 was the culminate of that era. After that it's rare the program that is engaging.

Mahonay

Banned
I still maintain that 50/50 booking was what killed it. It makes everyone the same and it's predictable and boring and matches rarely mean anything and it's all so bland.
The 50/50 booking is definitely a core part of their general blandness. That's been there for a long time now.
When the Rhodes beat the Shield of the titles it felt huge because they rarely lost. Such a good story they then did nothing with.

Mania 30 was the culminate of that era. After that it's rare the program that is engaging.
Yerrrrp.

Heroman

Banned
It started with Roman, but their general "fuck what the audience wants and who cares about building logical storylines" has spread throughout their handling of everything now.

NXT TakeOver is the only good thing WWE does anymore.
Started with Roman , it been going on way longer than that.

Mahonay

Banned
Started with Roman , it been going on way longer than that.
Super Cena, original return of face Batista, "Divas Revolution brought to you by Stephanie McMahon", yeah most definitely.

But their complete refusal to alter their course whatsoever started with Roman since I started watching again in early 2013. It feels like after they gave into the fans for Bryan, Vince has been salty about it ever since.

I know it has been dire long before that. Thankfully I stopped watching in 2003. And now a new lapsed period has begun for me, other than NXT.

Heroman

Banned
Super Cena, original return of face Batista, "Divas Revolution brought to you by Stephanie McMahon", yeah most definitely.

But their complete refusal to alter their course whatsoever started with Roman since I started watching again in early 2013. It feels like after they gave into the fans for Bryan, Vince has been salty about it ever since.

I know it has been dire long before that. Thankfully I stopped watching in 2003.
Bryan was anomaly, and even then they were going to have him do the job to Brock to build to the Roman vs Brock.

Vince has never listen to fans especially in the TV rights era, I mean look at cm punk. Due could have been a huge star but he was never treated right even though the fans were behind him

Mahonay

Banned
Bryan was anomaly, and even then they were going to have him do the job to Brock to build to the Roman vs Brock.

Vince has never listen to fans especially in the TV rights era, I mean look at cm punk. Due could have been a huge star but he was never treated right even though the fans were behind him
Lol CM Punk was so god damn lame and neutered by the time I started watching again. Amazing how much they squashed that in just a short amount of time.

Striker

We are about the same man that killed WCW and Almost killed TNA. Like Badh of Beach 2000 is a handbook on how not to book
WCW was going downhill before he arrived. Austin's rise cracked that bubble plus the whole thing with Hogan and Nash having such high authority over the development and writing. AOL and Time Warner merging is what ultimately killed them, other than that they could have still hung on just not at what they were in 1997.

Not sure what hiring Russo would do. I know he doesn't get along with Stephanie. And he's not her type of writer so how's that going to mesh? Either way, as outlandish as he's been the past decade plus, he still did things different and wasn't so formulaic and down to the tiniest detail like modern WWE is.

It's weird to me when people say "bring back russo"

I mean, heyman or cornette I can understand, as they had successful runs as head booker/owners.

Russo was never a successful head booker. He was very good at specific things, like making sure everyone on a show had a meaningful program, but he was terrible at so many things he would never be a successful head booker.

Kusagari

I mean, heyman or cornette I can understand, as they had successful runs as head booker/owners.

Russo was never a successful head booker. He was very good at specific things, like making sure everyone on a show had a meaningful program, but he was terrible at so many things he would never be a successful head booker.

This is the main reason people say they want him back. They're just desperate for a time when everyone, not just three or four wrestlers, mattered.

Lothar

Banned

It worked for the Attitude Era, didn't it?

pbayne

I just want good storylines. Do we really need a Monday Night War for that?

This is what I want.
http://youtu.be/FqDU2d8ceQM

Everyone, watch. It was so fucking crazy back then.

Their video department peaked in the attitude era too, even the most dull stuff they could make seem earth shattering and unmissable. Obviously its more modern and all now but i dunno it always feels so...sterile in comparison.

red capsule

i remember way back when i was a pipsqueak, i used to get yelled at and kicked out of the room by my older brother if i ever forgot to record a raw show on vcr while he was away

then later, he would ask me for cliffs on all the segments that happened (this was before we had internet)

those days are now long gone, to the point where it's not even worth reading cliffs on raw or following it through youtube clips.

though thankfully, we have our savior triple h to look forward to after vince pushes up daisies

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
CM Punk's Pipebomb and contract renewal, and Daniel Bryan's revolution were both pretty great storylines. I wonder if we'll even hit that level of storytelling again anytime soon.

I'd even settle for it getting into so bad it's good territory, instead of this gross mixture of cringe and boredom they have going now.

ash321

CM Punk's Pipebomb and contract renewal, and Daniel Bryan's revolution were both pretty great storylines. I wonder if we'll even hit that level of storytelling again anytime soon.

I'd even settle for it getting into so bad it's good territory, instead of this gross mixture of cringe and boredom they have going now.
The problem with both CM Punk and Daniel Bryan's storylines is what happen right after. They got their moments and like everything got reset, Punk keep fking losing, and Bryan got book in shitty angle, again. WWE never got the ball to stick with the guy who got over like they used to.

I can't stop watching that gif. Everything about it is great. Look at the side shuffle the white robot does after the suplex. Look at the ref bot lol

Anybody that wants Russo back should watch his WCW, or TNA work. Dude is a dumpster fire of a writer/ booker. Let's not pretend otherwise.

But ultimately, the biggest problem with the modern product is the 3 hour show. It was killer for Nitro, and now it's a killer for Raw.

Anybody that wants Russo back should watch his WCW, or TNA work. Dude is a dumpster fire of a writer/ booker. Let's not pretend otherwise.

But ultimately, the biggest problem with the modern product is the 3 hour show. It was killer for Nitro, and now it's a killer for Raw.

He wouldn't have absolute power in WWE.

I still think he'd be valuable in the structure of a WWE where McMahon has to approve things. This current system of 30 idiots writing shit isn't working.

Lothar

Banned
If Russo ever actually came back to the company, that would be the death knell of WWE.

The death knell is happening right now. It's time once again for Russo to save the WWE like he saved it in 1997.

(He was just a part of it, I know, but he was a big part)

Top Bottom