• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[X06] Half-Life 2 Episode 2 X360 pics

Plissken

I have yet to play Half Life 2, so this package is looking all kinds of awesome to me. The more I see of it, the more I can't wait.

manxor

Yeah, jeez... I really hope they can at least add AA for the 360 release.
Maybe I am dreaming with my AA+HDR+motion blur wishes...

Chiggs

PleoMax said:
How do you know this?

Valve stated awhile ago that they weren't going to be using the 360's tiling process in conjunction with the eDRAM to achieve AA. They said they had found a better way to achieve AA.

manxor said:
Yeah, jeez... I really hope they can at least add AA for the 360 release.

See above.

VALIS

Stinkles said:
The demo itself was kind of a shocker - every single one of the games - HL2, HL2 ep 1, Portal CS and TF, all selectable from a single menu. Bam.

Oh my. Ohhhhh my. *rubs nipples*

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Chiggs said:
Valve stated awhile ago that they weren't going to be using the 360's tiling process in conjunction with the eDRAM to achieve AA. They said they had found a better way to achieve AA.

See above.

Just to add a tiny bit of context to the comment, I do believe they said for Steam, not in general. The ever tricky tiling of 360 hasn't been done away with via their method, it was just better for the Steam engine. I think.

Chiggs

SnakeXs said:
Just to add a tiny bit of context to the comment, I do believe they said for Steam, not in general. The ever tricky tiling of 360 hasn't been done away with via their method, it was just better for the Steam engine. I think.

I remember a poster on this forum sent an email to Gabe and he responded with what I wrote above. I'll see if I can find that post.

SnakeXs

Chiggs said:
I remember a poster on this forum sent an email to Gabe and he responded with what I wrote above. I'll see if I can find that post.

Awesome, thanks.

SnakeXs

Chiggs said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111077&highlight=Valve+360+AA

First post. Looks like that eDRAM's definitely gonna be getting some HDR workload.

Yeah, that's what I expected. Possibly a stretch by me, but I still take it as he emant that due to Source being a pre-existing engine. A 360 built engine will still get the most out of it via tiling, but they found a more elegant method for their purposes. I could be wrong, though. =P

Good to know anyways. Thanks again.

squicken

MAJIKdR46oN said:
They need to get it [the whole package] running as good, if not better than the PC version of Ep2. They need to redeem themselves after the poor Xbox port.

Just my personal opinion, but given the XBOX hardware, I was quite impressed Valve got HL2 to run on it.

shpankey

not an idiot
Stinkles said:
The demo itself was kind of a shocker - every single one of the games - HL2, HL2 ep 1, Portal CS and TF, all selectable from a single menu. Bam. Controls are nice too, especially on the vehicles.
damn.

sold.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My purchase hinges 100% on framerate. If they can deliver this great package on a console with loads of polish at a great framerate (with minimal loading), I will buy it. Otherwise, no deal.

JB1981

dark10x said:
My purchase hinges 100% on framerate. If they can deliver this great package on a console with loads of polish at a great framerate (with minimal loading), I will buy it. Otherwise, no deal.

I've never played Half-Life and I've been dying too. This is a guaranteed purchase for me. I don't have high hopes for a smooth frame rate, though!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
dark10x said:
And mine hinges 100% on mouse and keyboard support. **** playing a game like portal on a controller setup. No M&KB, no buy. I'll get the PC version if it comes down to that.

Either way, I'll get the game, its a great package nobody can deny.

SnakeXs

Bad_Boy said:
And mine hinges 100% on mouse and keyboard support. **** playing a game like portal on a controller setup. No M&KB, no buy. I'll get the PC version if it comes down to that.

Either way, I'll get the game, its a great package nobody can deny.

You better hope the PS3 M/KB stuff comes to light, if you care about PS3 at all. It ain't happenin' on 360.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SnakeXs said:
You better hope the PS3 M/KB stuff comes to light, if you care about PS3 at all. It ain't happenin' on 360.
Yup, I'm gettin a ps3 in november if all goes according to plan. :/

Anyways, I doubt all developers (especially first party) will enable M&KB, but devs like valve and epic who originate on the PC platform should definately include that support.

rs7k

squicken said:
Just my personal opinion, but given the XBOX hardware, I was quite impressed Valve got HL2 to run on it.

Same here, the framerate may have been lacking, and there were a few low-res textures, but it was still excellent graphically compared to other top Xbox games. You can't expect the world out of a Celeron with 64MB of RAM.

epmode

Wow, they added HDR to the original Half-Life 2.. I'm hoping they upgrade PC HL2 sometime in the future. Knowing Valve, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

<3 Valve <3

shpankey

not an idiot
rs7k said:
Same here, the framerate may have been lacking, and there were a few low-res textures, but it was still excellent graphically compared to other top Xbox games. You can't expect the world out of a Celeron with 64MB of RAM.
the Xbox does not have a Celeron in it. it is a custom CPU.

bengraven

Gamespot said:
The only difference, aside from the fact that you'll be playing with an Xbox 360 controller instead of a mouse and keyboard, is that the Xbox 360 version looks better. That's right, the Xbox 360 version of Half-Life 2 boasts visual enhancements that are only available in the subsequent episodic content on the PC so, regardless of how powerful your PC setup is, the Xbox 360 game will look better.

That's hot. I know the PC extremists are having a ****ing fit about that, but it's ****ing fantastic. :D

Pimpbaa

epmode said:
Wow, they added HDR to the original Half-Life 2.. I'm hoping they upgrade PC HL2 sometime in the future. Knowing Valve, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

<3 Valve <3

Perhaps as another bonus to ep2 (upgrading hl2 original if you have)? I could definitely see them doing that.

In a time where developers take seemingly every opportunity to skimp out on content in their releases, this is such a breath of fresh air. This kind of release is nearly unprecendented.

The last time we saw something like this was with Unreal Tournament 2004, which included ALL of the content from 2003 as well as the amazing new stuff, which was easily enough content for a seperate release.
I think the Half-Life package might trump it though.

The big question mark is what the heck they're going to do when episode 3 is released. I thought it might be too large to download, but my episode 1 folder on my comp is only 394 MB. I guess that's not too bad considering most demos of games are far more than that.

I think it would be very kind of them to include mouse and keyboard support for this. At least for the singleplayer. For Multiplayer, maybe seperate servers by control scheme, or just put the kb/m using 360 players on the PC servers.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Chiggs said:
First post. Looks like that eDRAM's definitely gonna be getting some HDR workload.
Valve's HDR method is inherently single pass - so technically it doesn't work out eDRAM at all (well, it doesn't work out any framebuffer to be specific).

jarosh

bengraven said:
That's hot. I know the PC extremists are having a ****ing fit about that, but it's ****ing fantastic. :D
yeah i'll go with the insane hi-res texture packs for hl2 on my pc.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Chiggs said:

See above.

I sent the email to Valve, and Jay Stelly responded.

Me:

Incase you're answering questions about engine technology on the next-gen consoles, I was wondering if Source on the XB360 will use tiling to fit into the 10mb of eDRAM for 4x A.A.?

Jay Stelly:

We're doing our AA a different way - tiling is not a very good way to spend perf to get visual quality.

firex

game of the generation, again! nothing can stop half life 2, except for half life 3. even playing it without mouse and keyboard, it will still be awesome.

firex said:
game of the generation, again! nothing can stop half life 2, except for half life 3. even playing it without mouse and keyboard, it will still be awesome.

Got me thinking...

It has been two years since the release of Half-life 2. Does anyone think they have a small team working on HL3 yet? Perhaps a seperate team than the one working on the episodes.

thirty

Banned
is it just me or does half life 2 not look good anymore? i mean with stuff like gears and resistance HL looks aged and ugly IMO.

thirty

Banned
lumines?:lol

52971320060928_174513_2_big.jpg

Top Bottom