• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

MercuryLS

Banned
armubaba said:
The thing is, mine's been doing these occasional freezes and red/blue dots all over for about five or six months, and so far nothing really has gone wrong.

How long after you started seeing this kinda stuff did your 360 kick the bucket?

1st machine (got it at launch), started getting random freezing and checkered patters a few times about 4 months after I got the machine. About a month later it started doing this after 5 mins of gameplay and I had to send it in.

2nd machine, gave me lock ups and checkered patterns right out of the box after 5 mins of gameplay.

3rd machine (the one I'm selling right now) has been working fine since mid-06.

MS quality at its best :lol

They're damn lucky that they have such a great platform, otherwise I wouldn't put up with this shit. Also my original X360 was free (won it in a contest), so I was a bit more forgiving.

GhaleonEB

Saint Gregory said:
O.K., I'm a little foggy on this so someone refresh my memory. Didn't the 360 essentially have a temporary price cut last holiday season? I remember the a lot of retailers had pretty insane deals going on (like Microcenter's $200 premium deal) that I thought were financed directly by Microsoft in the form of $100 per unit stipens to do with whatever they pleased.

Most stores seemed to go with free bundled games but I know a lot of people who got them at $100-$200 dollars off last year. Unless they tack on something extra for the holidays I don't see what 50 bucks is going to do to shift momentum back in their favor.
Microsoft gave retailers a set of options for discounts - game bundles, store cards, etc. - and reimbersed them for it. But a pretty small proportion of stores did anything other than the odd game bundle. A hard price cut, even of $50 is more substantial.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
sp0rsk said:
P.S.

Core and Elite are also dropping, but not as much as the premium.

Believe.

Xboxstradamus in the making. 20 dollar cuts to come and I shall ride into town on a white horse.

gljvd said:
we will see in a few months wont we ?

halo 3 will be huge. It will move alot of consoles . Gta 4 follows it up and it iwll move alot of consoles esp if the core is at $250 . Then they have other games in nov / december to move more
"Big" games mostly had minimal effects on the consistend 200k non-holiday monthly hardware sales of the 360. There's a price cut and GTA but the former will most likely stop the bleeding and up it back to 200k.

sp0rsk said:
shrug, maybe. The success of the Wii still has nothing to do with it's price. Remember, we all thought it was way over priced and wouldn't sell. People pay for what they think it's worth.

And most people (casuals) won't pay $300+ for a gaming console. At least thats what history shows us.

Of the casual friends I know (anecdotal), none of them own a PS3 or 360 because they can't justify the price... however they also show no interest in getting a Wii because the games the Wii provides aren't games that interest them.

If the Wii was $400... the same would be true.

Halvie

Banned
Yeah I was under the assumption that the elite was being dropped more than $50...if it is less than that its a joke :(

GhaleonEB said:
Microsoft gave retailers a set of options for discounts - game bundles, store cards, etc. - and reimbersed them for it. But a pretty small proportion of stores did anything other than the odd game bundle. A hard price cut, even of $50 is more substantial.

Every little bit counts, but still 50 off a $400 machine seems odd. They should have at least cut it down enough to cover the cost of a new game.

Eh, I thought $250 for a console was a strange price too but that seemed to work out.

Odysseus

Banned
sp0rsk said:
P.S.

Core and Elite are also dropping, but not as much as the premium.

Believe.

on that note, on the scale of dumb to idiotic, how stupid would it be if microsoft did the whole "is it or is it not a pricecut" thing and dropped the price on the premium to clear it out, leaving only the core and the elite in its wake?

_leech_ said:
Hopefully this price cut will also include a Canadian price adjustment due to the exchange rate.

wasn't the canadian rumor that a $100 price cut was coming around the beginning of august? maybe it pans out.

Odysseus said:
on that note, on the scale of dumb to idiotic, how stupid would it be if microsoft did the whole "is it or is it not a pricecut" thing and dropped the price on the premium to clear it out, leaving only the core and the elite in its wake?

Hmm, wonder how much those 20GB hard drives are costing them at this point...

Sean

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Okay, unless there's a juggle of the contents, that's S-T-U-P-I-D. Wow.

It makes sense for the Elite IMO. I'm guessing the Elite will get a $30 price drop bringing it down to $450.

Not dropping the core by $50 too makes no sense to me though.... it should be $50 price drops on the core and premium and a $30 price drop on the Elite. That would make the SKU's be 250, 350, and 450.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Karma Kramer said:
And most people (casuals) won't pay $300+ for a gaming console. At least thats what history shows us.

Of the casual friends I know (anecdotal), none of them own a PS3 or 360 because they can't justify the price... however they also show no interest in getting a Wii because the games the Wii provides aren't games that interest them.

If the Wii was $400... the same would be true.

The point is, Wii is succeeding outside of those other 2 consoles. At competitive prices, the huge Wii boom would still have happened. People are buying up the Wii because of its controller and Wii Sports. While I'm sure your friend isn't the only one, sales and all the media tell a different story.

Teen Ape

Saint Gregory said:
O.K., I'm a little foggy on this so someone refresh my memory. Didn't the 360 essentially have a temporary price cut last holiday season? I remember the a lot of retailers had pretty insane deals going on (like Microcenter's $200 premium deal) that I thought were financed directly by Microsoft in the form of $100 per unit stipens to do with whatever they pleased.

Most stores seemed to go with free bundled games but I know a lot of people who got them at $100-$200 dollars off last year. Unless they tack on something extra for the holidays I don't see what 50 bucks is going to do to shift momentum back in their favor.
There were a lot of good promo's during the holidays for 360. Some places tossed in a free game or made a bundle (Target threw in GRAW, Best Buy Need for Speed) and others handed out $60 gift cards (Circuit City). Craziest 360 promo I've ever seen was that you get a free 360 premium when you bought like 2 Cingular cell phones/w a 2 year contract from Comp USA. If you were in the right situation concerning your wireless phone, you could've gotten a pretty sweet deal.

I'm sure come Black Friday, there will be more price cuts (temporary store cuts not official price drops) or bundle deals on probably all three consoles.

chriskun

hopefully this means they will drop the prices on the accessories as well. Jesus Christ, sometimes I wish the console makers would just drop the Bic Razors model of business and just sell the hardware for an increased price, I know this is not realistic, but we would avoid lots of the bullshit with pricing on accessories/faulty hardware I think.

GhaleonEB

Sean said:
It makes sense for the Elite IMO. I'm guessing the Elite will get a $30 price drop bringing it down to $450.

Not dropping the core by $50 too makes no sense to me though.... it should be $50 price drops on the core and premium and a $30 price drop on the Elite. That would make the SKU's be 250, 350, and 450.
The only way it would make sense is if the HDD prices dropped as well. Lower the Core to say, $259 and drop the 20 GB HDD to $90 from $100 - that would keep the Core + HDD price the same as the Premium, which is what MS is dead set on doing for some insane reason. Ditto the Elite.

If they keep everything else equal, and don't do an even drop accross the SKUs, it redefines stupid.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
sp0rsk said:
Source = When I say believe, I am never wrong.
No doubt, but I was hoping we can find out how much the cut is.
My guess: Core $270, Premium $350, Elite $450.

sp0rsk said:
The point is, Wii is succeeding outside of those other 2 consoles. At competitive prices, the huge Wii boom would still have happened. People are buying up the Wii because of it's controller and Wii Sports. While I'm sure your friend isn't the only one, sales and all the media tell a different story.

The interest and media would be there... no doubt.. but the boom would not. Thats my point. Casuals just simply can't justify spending $300+ no matter how much they may want it.

The traditional Halo, Madden, GTA teenager userbase are simply not being represented yet in the next generation. The Wii is attracting new gamers, Nintendo fans, and younger gamers but the 18-30 casual gamer crowd is still stuck in last gen right now.

Teen Ape

GhaleonEB said:
The only way it would make sense is if the HDD prices dropped as well. Lower the Core to say, $259 and drop the 20 GB HDD to $90 from $100 - that would keep the Core + HDD price the same as the Premium, which is what MS is dead set on doing for some insane reason. Ditto the Elite.

If they keep everything else equal, and don't do an even drop accross the SKUs, it redefines stupid.
When it comes to making money(potentially ripping people off), redefining things is merely a small task in the quest for consumer cash.

sp0rsk said:
shrug, maybe. The success of the Wii still has nothing to do with it's price. Remember, we all thought it was way over priced and wouldn't sell. People pay for what they think it's worth.
The Wii is selling for the most part because of what it is, but I think it's naieve to think that it's price has no baring at all in that perception. It is part of what makes it what it is.

To say that people thought it wouldn't sell because of its price in relation to what's inside of it assumes that grandmas actually know what was inside the Gamecube in the first place. :lol It's just newfangled technology to them that introduces waggle......and look! It's not obnoxiously expensive and comes with a game! The nursing home will never be the same!

GhaleonEB

I wonder how MS and retailers are going to respond to this, once it really gains traction. Sony announced their price drop a few days before it was to "officially" take effect, but most online retailers started advertising it the same day. It will be interesting to see if a similar situation develops here, as by tomorrow this is going to be everywhere.

sprsk

TheRipDizz said:
The Wii is selling for the most part because of what it is, but I think it's naieve to think that it's price has no baring at all in that perception. It is part of what makes it what it is.

To say that people thought it wouldn't sell because of its price in relation to what's inside of it assumes that grandmas actually know what was inside the Gamecube in the first place. :lol It's just newfangled technology to them that introduces waggle......and look! It's not obnoxiously expensive and comes with a game! The nursing home will never be the same!

But if you put it next to Gears of War, Epic lulz dude!!

GhaleonEB said:
I wonder how MS and retailers are going to respond to this, once it really gains traction. Sony announced their price drop a few days before it was to "officially" take effect, but most online retailers started advertising it the same day. It will be interesting to see if a similar situation develops here, as by tomorrow this is going to be everywhere.

I hope so... the sooner the price drop the better.

sprsk

Karma Kramer said:
The interest and media would be there... no doubt.. but the boom would not. Thats my point. Casuals just simply can't justify spending $300+ no matter how much they may want it.

The traditional Halo, Madden, GTA teenager userbase are simply not being represented yet in the next generation. The Wii is attracting new gamers, Nintendo fans, and younger gamers but the 18-30 casual gamer crowd is still stuck in last gen right now.

Which is why Gears of War sold like 4 million copies?

MechDX

sp0rsk said:
Source = When I say believe, I am never wrong.

May not be sp0rsk's source but here is more proof:

imagejpeg0copyvf2.jpg

From CAG.

GhaleonEB

MechDX said:
May not be sp0rsk's source but here is more proof:

imagejpeg0copyvf2.jpg

From CAG.
That was posted a few pages back, and I think is the reason the thread title got changed. And that only mentions the Premium - which may backup the notion that the other two SKUs didn't drop as much. Retailers want to show as big a drop as possible to move units.

sp0rsk said:
The point is, Wii is succeeding outside of those other 2 consoles. At competitive prices, the huge Wii boom would still have happened. People are buying up the Wii because of its controller and Wii Sports. While I'm sure your friend isn't the only one, sales and all the media tell a different story.
You're putting the 360 and PS3 at parity with the Wii's price and saying the Wii would still have its sales, which is most likely true. The point being expessed here though was if the Wii was at $400, like the 360 and PS3 to a lesser extent, would it still have its sweeping effect? I'd say that's a big **** no.

sprsk

Karma Kramer said:
That proves nothing, other than the fact that Gears was a good game, and the Xbox 360 userbase (mostly hardcore) likes buying games.

What the ****?

Sorry, no. Not just any game sells over 4 million copies.

sprsk

TheRipDizz said:
You're putting the 360 and PS3 at parity with the Wii's price and saying the Wii would still have its sales, which is most likely true. The point being expessed here though was if the Wii was at $400, like the 360 and PS3 to a lesser extent, would it still have its sweeping effect? I'd say that's a big **** no.

Well duh, no shit.
My point is that price isn't the reason its selling, and it has nothing to do with it. You can't say "Well if it was a hundred and fifty dollars more expensive it wouldn't sell" and say that that's proof the price does matter. The Wii and Wii sports are a phenomenon.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GhaleonEB said:
I was *just* trying to figure that out, without success. :lol

Could probably be 'shopped into legibility.

What, you think this is 24? :D

Can't create resolution! Now, I'm sure as soon as I say this someone will do it.

The first line says "xbox 360." lol sorry

sp0rsk said:
What the ****?

Sorry, no. Not just any game sells over 4 million copies.

Gears of War was the first really good game for the Xbox 360. It was heavily marketed and was released right in the middle of the holiday rush. Thats why it sold so well... not because the Xbox 360 userbase is made up of casual consumers.

sprsk

Karma Kramer said:
Gears of War was the first really good game for the Xbox 360. It was heavily marketed and was released right in the middle of the holiday rush. Thats why it sold so well... not because the Xbox 360 userbase is made up of casual consumers.

4 million copies is not a number xbots can reach by themselves.

Teen Ape

Karma Kramer said:
I think Bethesda and IW would have a slight objection to that statement because...COD2 and Oblivion were both really good 360 games before Gears of War came out. But I get the jist of what you're trying to say.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Y2Kev said:

Can't create resolution! Now, I'm sure as soon as I say this someone will do it.

B.. B.. But this is so easy to do in movies:lol

sp0rsk said:
Well duh, no shit.
My point is that price isn't the reason its selling, and it has nothing to do with it. You can't say "Well if it was a hundred and fifty dollars more expensive it wouldn't sell" and say that that's proof the price does matter. The Wii and Wii sports are a phenomenon.

Earlier you said "shrug maybe."

Seems like you are being kinda wishy washy here.

GhaleonEB

Y2Kev said:

Right below the new price it says "Orig. $399.99", then below that is the "Xbox 360". I'm sure if we can read that, some of the rest could be figured out. :p

sprsk

Karma Kramer said:
Earlier you said "shrug maybe."

Seems like you are being kinda wishy washy here.

Well
To be fair, I don't know. The ipod sold at that price, the Wii could too.

Let's not get off track here.

sp0rsk said:
4 million copies is not a number xbots can reach by themselves.

So what ratio are you talking about here?

The slow decrease in sales over the past couple of months is evidence that the hardcore market is slowly being tapped out. Casuals haven't jumped in yet... and I can't believe you are claiming they have.

Top Bottom