• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

HokieJoe

Subarushian said:
Alan Wake, Fable 2, Gears of War 2 (likely), Cry On, Halo Wars, Bajo Threeie and thats just whats been announced so far.

Plus if the 360 keeps trouncing the PS3 in sales there will be a fare number of third-party exclusives as well.

At this point getting into a software fight with the 360 is a fight your gonna lose.

And RTCW.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hell yeah, all this means to me is that they are $50 away from me buying it 100%

I said it from day one, the console has a great lineup. It has two problems A) Price and B) Reliability.

When the premium pack hits the magical $300 I see no reason not to buy one, and the rumored 65 nm chipset that is much cooler (and cheaper for MS) would make a reliable console reality (we can hope).

F

Firesprite121984

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
Lord Stinkles. I shall become the SUCCESSOR OF FATE.
Ohhh, that's a good one.
Karma Kramer said:
frank-oconnor-bungie-236.jpg
Eyes like fire and glass.

gljvd

Banned
Guys its all about synergy .

Ms can market Halo 3 and a price drop at the same time.

They also have the xbox 360 set up as the cheapest way to play GTA4

$250 vs $500 is a pretty good deal for many out there . Add to the fact that you get 60fps madden , halo 3 , mass effect , cod4 and other titles ms will be advertising this winter along with gta 4 exclusive content and well I don't see the problem.

Sure for us $50 sucks , but remember price drops are pure sales . You don't get many price drops in a console's life and each time you drop the price you get a large boost of sales for awhile as you move into larger segments of the audiance.

If ms went with $100 price cuts . They'd have 300-200 , 200-100 and then thats it . Just 2 price drops with the core unless they changed it up after the first $100 price drop. But now they are at $250 and next year if they need too they still have the $100 price drop that didn't come this year . Or if sony is still above $400 with their lower sku they can drop the price by $50 .

Its good for ms . There will be alot of people buying 360s this year. I wouldn't doubt that they can move 4-5m oct to dec time frame this year in NA alone

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Barkley's Justice said:
not to be an ass, but let's be honest: these games will sell to 360 owners. alan wake? cry on? FABLE?

Alan Wake= Microsoft is publishing, Remedy kicks ass, it'll sel
Cry On = I dunno
Fable = I dunno, but the first sold 2 milion

F

Firesprite121984

Unconfirmed Member
Barkley's Justice said:
not to be an ass, but let's be honest: these games will sell to 360 owners. alan wake? cry on? FABLE?
Mass Effect will sell me a console.

Alan Wake, Banjo Threeie, and Fable 2 are icing on a sweet sweet cake.

Sean

Banned
Absinthe said:
People forget that PS3 is also receiving GTA4 as well. It's not like it is an exclusive.

Yes it's a multi-platform game, but GTA4 is going to push more 360 units than PS3's. Not only is the hardware at least $150 cheaper but it has exclusive DLC too.

Odysseus

Banned
Wario64 said:
Not sure which week but it's probably sometime after 8/11 since the ads before 8/11 for Target, Best Buy and Circuit City have no mentions of the price drop. My guess is for the week of 8/12, which means the annoucement for the price drop COULD occur on 8/8 like that Hollywood report said.

http://i18.tinypic.com/6bxcehi.jpg

it does look like an ad for the week of 8/12 because of the madden reference in that picture. that's two weeks out, which means as word of this spreads xbox 360 sales will really dry up. while not important in the long run, this could have sales-age implications for july npd.

Brofist

Karma Kramer said:
:lol

Come on dude... memory cards are like $30... are you telling me that an extra $30 is a deal breaker?

don't even pay attention, I've called him out before on this. every price drop he will claim it's still just $30 too expensive or some other bullshit excuse.

gljvd

Banned
HokieJoe said:
And RTCW.

and either pgr5 or forza 3

Marvel mmorpg perhaps ?

Dead rising 2 ?

Lost planet 2 ?

PDZ 2 :D

I don't think ms will have as big of a year as sony will next year , but it will be close

Odysseus said:
it does look like an ad for the week of 8/12 because of the madden reference in that picture. that's two weeks out, which means as word of this spreads xbox 360 sales will really dry up. while not important in the long run, this could have sales-age implications for july npd.

That was probably the plan, like Sony's, but now with the leak, they'll probably have to drop it this week.

gljvd said:

$250 vs $500 is a pretty good deal for many out there . Add to the fact that you get 60fps madden , halo 3 , mass effect , cod4 and other titles ms will be advertising this winter along with gta 4 exclusive content and well I don't see the problem.

Sure for us $50 sucks , but remember price drops are pure sales . You don't get many price drops in a console's life and each time you drop the price you get a large boost of sales for awhile as you move into larger segments of the audiance.

If ms went with $100 price cuts . They'd have 300-200 , 200-100 and then thats it . Just 2 price drops with the core unless they changed it up after the first $100 price drop. But now they are at $250 and next year if they need too they still have the $100 price drop that didn't come this year . Or if sony is still above $400 with their lower sku they can drop the price by $50 .

Its good for ms . There will be alot of people buying 360s this year. I wouldn't doubt that they can move 4-5m oct to dec time frame this year in NA alone

No one has even confirmed $250.

Odysseus

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
That was probably the plan, like Sony's, but now with the leak, they'll probably have to drop it this week.

which would also have sales-age implications. the bottom line, of course, is that sales-age is most important.

F

Firesprite121984

Unconfirmed Member
Sean said:
Yes it's a multi-platform game, but GTA4 is going to push more 360 units than PS3's. Not only is the hardware at least $150 cheaper but it has exclusive DLC too.
The majority of GTA4 buyers won't know a thing about the DLC.

They'll just see it on a cheaper console.

Odysseus

Banned
gljvd said:

oh wow.

i want to see what happens in august first, but my guess is that sept-dec us npd will be about 2.5 million, give or take 0.2 million on either side. if anything, i think i'm being a bit bullish.

TurtleSnatcher said:
No one has even confirmed $250.

"$50 - $80."

If the price drop itself is now confirmed, we can consider the rest of the gathered clues to be fairly on the mark, no? So, yeah, not confirmed but, as Roast Beef Kazenzakis might say, "Hell of likely."

Dies Iræ

$349 for a console is still insane, if you ask me. $299 should be the limit, no matter the titles. I've never bought a console for more than $200 with the exception of Wii and I wasnt very happy about it. If we keep allowing prices to drive up, with $349 now being "appealing", imagine where we'll be next generation? Everyone's already become complicit with a $10 increase in game prices.

BenjaminBirdie said:
"$50 - $80."

If the price drop itself is now confirmed, we can consider the rest of the gathered clues to be fairly on the mark, no? So, yeah, not confirmed but, as Roast Beef Kazenzakis might say, "Hell of likely."
$80.. why are we back on this $80 thing again?

EDIT: oh wait that "Walmart Help Desk Person" RELIABILTY TO THE EXTREME :lol

KINGMOKU

gljvd said:

You think that they are going to sell more then half of thier worldwide install base as of right now, that took them almost two years to garner and do it in just three months in one territory?

Good grief.

Odysseus

Banned
Dies Iræ said:
$349 for a console is still insane, if you ask me. $299 should be the limit, no matter the titles. I've never bought a console for more than $200 with the exception of Wii and I wasnt very happy about it. If we keep allowing prices to drive up, with $349 now being "appealing", imagine where we'll be next generation? Everyone's already become complicit with a $10 increase in game prices.

i completely agree. but the good news is that there won't be a next generation, so it's almost not even a problem. it is, but it sort of isn't.

TurtleSnatcher said:

It was the "to" part that implied multiple drops. I don't care what drops where but it's unlikely that only one SKU was dropped in such a fashion.

Let's see.

Odysseus

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Because the Elite is $480... so it would make sense that the Elite would go down to 399...

i think that will happen, too, but since when has microsoft's handling of 360 made sense?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Dies Iræ said:

If we keep demanding bleeding edge tech, then these prices will be the norm. I just want the tech to focus on gaming. I'm in agreeance with the hardware. For the software, I'm surprised it has taken this long. Games were 50 dollars on the NES and I doubt the budget for 90% of those were over $500,000. With game budgets over 15 million for the norm, the $60 is somewhat cheap.

HokieJoe

FightyF said:
Good points.

I look at it from the perspective that Gears (and the Forza 2 ad) seem to do a good job of selling games. But do they do a good job of moving consoles? Part of the appeal of the 360 this Fall should be the fact that it has tons and tons of great games. From Madden to the NBA games, to the NHL games, to Rock Band, to Guitar Hero 3, to FlatOut, to COD4, to GTA IV, to Mass Effect, to Halo 3, to Assassin's Creed, to Orange Box, to Left 4 Dead, etc. etc. etc. Nevermind the Live titles...

The last time MS tried to sell the concept of "we got lots of games on our console"...we saw an ad of green DVD cases stacking up with various game sound effects. It made no sense to non-gamers, and it wasn't particularly convincing to gamers. Now, I realize that E3 had a montage of gameplay and that was equally boring, and that was because it was set to music and no narration.

Compare that to Sony's ads. They show the game, good amounts of gameplay (that is impressive to both gamers and non-gamers), and then show the actual console with the controller.

This is a highly subjective topic so I'll shut up now. I just don't think MS can advertise. Can't really do a good job of creating hype, and despite having a killer game lineup, I don't think they have what it takes to sell the console to gamers who have yet to take the next gen plunge.

Games and affordable hardware are not mutually exclusive though- you need both. It would be like trying to take a music CD multi-platinum when everyone still has turntables spinning vinyl, and CD players cost $600.

"Hey, great CD. Yeah, but who's gonna' buy it?"

For MS, Sony or Ninty, increasing the hardware base is a huge factor in increasing market share. I've said this all along: sales of the 360 are price-constrained. The PS3 is even more price-constrained. Great software can help, but hardware numbers won't take off until the price is mass-market friendly.

Odysseus said:
i think that will happen, too, but since when has microsoft's handling of 360 made sense?

Heh.

"$429.99"

That would turn some heads in retail.

"Wait, how much? What the hell, is this like a digital camera or what?"

Doytch

TurtleSnatcher said:

Eh, Elite is $480 inthe US right? I could see 250/350/400

MercuryLS

Banned
armubaba said:
:lol

How much you selling it for?

I'm in Canada so these systems go for $500, I'm selling it for $400. If this pricedrop goes through soon MS Canada will have to drop to $400 or less (it's already overpriced, our dollar is almost 1:1 with the US, so with the pricedrop it should be $350 here in Canada but they'll probably still price it at $400). It would screw me big time if the guy found out about this by tomorrow :lol

When is the pricedrop supposed to go into effect?

ZeoVGM

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Too small, pointless.

You can buy a game for $50. It's still smaller and will catch people's attention.

But to say it's pointless is just factually incorrect. Cutting $50 off the price of a system is.. pointless? Really. So it will have no effect.

Right.

Odysseus

Banned
MercuryLS said:
I'm in Canada so these systems go for $500, I'm selling it for $400. If this pricedrop goes through soon MS Canada will have to drop to $400 or less (it's already overpriced, our dollar is almost 1:1 with the US, so with the pricedrop it should be $350 here in Canada but they'll probably still price it at $400). It would screw me big time if the guy found out about this by tomorrow :lol

When is the pricedrop supposed to go into effect?

it looks like no later than august 12. possibly sooner.

Top Bottom