• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

The only non-orange ones are ones with old boxarts that existed before the switch, like Warlords reboot that still has a 2010 "released" date. Just means this game has been in the works for a long while.

i was looking at the various box art designs via the games hub on windows 8 & it's hilarious how unorganised the whole thing is: white, green, green with windows phone on it, orange, orange with arcade...
so many variations that should all be updated to consistency.

i was looking at the various box art designs via the games hub on windows 8 & it's hilarious how unorganised the whole thing is: white, green, green with windows phone on it, orange, orange with arcade...
so many variations that should all be updated to consistency.

Yeah, even among the white Arcade ones, there's a few slightly different versions. They really should have made the headers a separate image that they could change on the fly, but I guess they hadn't thought they'd ever be updating them.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm surprised we still haven't got Conkers Bad Fur Day HD on XBLA yet or at least Live and Reloaded on Games on Demand. What the deuce MS/Rare?

It costs a fortune on Ebay.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Woo, after getting my final achievement in Naughty Bear, I've completed 300 XBLA games!

Thought about making my 300th something awesome like Dungeon Defenders of Dishwasher: VS (even though I do like NB), or something legendarily hard like Tron, but I was too close in NB and couldn't help myself. Feels good man.

Provided you're not counting WP7, this puts you at #6 in the world for Arcade game completions. Congrats :p

Fox Mulder

I'm surprised we still haven't got Conkers Bad Fur Day HD on XBLA yet or at least Live and Reloaded on Games on Demand. What the deuce MS/Rare?

I've wondered that all gen.

It's more disappointing than the censored M rated xbox remake.

Studio that did Perfect Dark and Banjo ports is the Minecraft 360 studio. Can't imagine them doing anything else the foreseeable future.

aku:jiki

Provided you're not counting WP7, this puts you at #6 in the world for Arcade game completions. Congrats :p
Thanks! What leaderboard are you looking at?

bigtroyjon said:
Studio that did Perfect Dark and Banjo ports is the Minecraft 360 studio. Can't imagine them doing anything else the foreseeable future.
Why couldn't Rare make the XBLA versions themselves? It's not like they have anything else keeping them busy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks! Where are you seeing the position, though? I'm 5th at TA, and I'm feeling good about being 3rd in the near future as #4 has stopped gaming altogether and #3 only plays WP7 nowadays. #1 and #2 are going to be problematic, though...

Site leaderboards -> Gamer by completed games -> Game type Arcade only -> game platform Xbox 360

1 SnapDragon 406
2 K4rn4ge 363
3 TodaysForgotten 318
4 lucas1987 316
5 DROGTURIST 306

The default filter is to show only DLC I own, but when I switched to No DLC or All DLC, I got basically the same thing.

Conker reloaded would not have working multi if it was on the xbox classics list, but i'd go with a GoD port of just the single player stuff for sure.

Why couldn't Rare make the XBLA versions themselves? It's not like they have anything else keeping them busy.

Actually I think Rare are probably very busy. Kinect Sports/engines/dashboard stuff and whatever they're working on for Xbox 720.

The problem is that none of what they are doing is what we want haha.

Card Boy

Banned
Just put a GoD version up, according to the backwards compatible list it works on 360. Plus it should have local multiplayer IIRC. Beats paying 35 to 60 bucks for it on Ebay.

Just put a GoD version up, according to the backwards compatible list it works on 360. Plus it should have local multiplayer IIRC. Beats paying 35 to 60 bucks for it on Ebay.

That service was killed off long ago, so it's never happening save for an RE4 style HD-remake.

Did anyone here pick up Home Run Stars the other day? Leaderboards are sitting at a fairly pathetic 400 or so players, so finding multiplayer to check out the different modes is basically impossible.

Vert boil

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

All Zombies Must Die - 400msp (was 800)
Guardian Heroes - 400msp (was 800)
Joy Ride Turbo - 400msp (was 800)
Shoot Many Robots - 400msp (was 800)

-----

-----

Akai Katana - 1200msp/15$ (was 2000/25$) US price, check your region

Bully - 1200msp/15$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

DJ Hero 2
--Hard Edge Mix Pack - 240msp (was 480)

Guitar Hero 3
--Guitar Virtuoso Track Pack - 250msp (was 500)

Guitar Hero WT
--Hendrix Track Pack 1 - 220msp (was 440)
--Hendrix Track Pack 2 - 220msp (was 440)

UFC Personal Trainer
--Jon Jones Workout - 400msp (was 800)

Some other GoD reductions as well.
-----

Sales & Specials+ app

Mass Effect 2
--Arrival - 400msp (was 560)
--Genesis - 160msp (was 320)
--Lair of the Shadow Broker - 560msp (was 800)

Chain Reaction - Pinball FX 2

Pinball FX Classic Full pack - 400msp (was 800) > Ms. Splosion Man Table - 120msp (was 240) > Paranormal Table - 120msp (was 240) > Marvel: Avengers Chronicles - 400msp (was 800)

when can I expect some of this year's XBLA games to be on sale? I'm talking Mark of the Ninja, Bloodforge, Spelunky, Fez, ...

Vert boil

when can I expect some of this year's XBLA games to be on sale? I'm talking Mark of the Ninja, Bloodforge, Spelunky, Fez, ...

I'd guess Feb/March-ish next year for MotN and Spelunky. Fez some time this year and Bloodforge was reduced a few months ago. I'd guess we'll be closer to a price drop to 800 tan another sale unless it's included in a big sale.

I'd guess Feb/March-ish next year for MotN and Spelunky. Fez some time this year and Bloodforge was reduced a few months ago. I'd guess we'll be closer to a price drop to 800 tan another sale unless it's included in a big sale.
I'm hoping for some sort of a Christmas/New Year XBLA sale. I picked up a ton of quality titles two years ago (Limbo, Trials HD, ...).

Gaspode_T

Site leaderboards -> Gamer by completed games -> Game type Arcade only -> game platform Xbox 360

1 SnapDragon 406
2 K4rn4ge 363
3 TodaysForgotten 318
4 lucas1987 316
5 DROGTURIST 306

The default filter is to show only DLC I own, but when I switched to No DLC or All DLC, I got basically the same thing.

Is this trueachievements or something? I am pretty sure there are a couple MSFT employees on my friends list that have nearly every XBLA game but maybe they haven't completed so many of them...

Vert boil

Is this trueachievements or something? I am pretty sure there are a couple MSFT employees on my friends list that have nearly every XBLA game but maybe they haven't completed so many of them...

Yep,

http://www.trueachievements.com/gamersiteleaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=22

Just set Game Platform to Xbox 360 and Game type to Arcade Games only.

It only logs people that created an account there but anyone that gives half a shit (in the west) would have an account there.

Shoot Many Robots is crap don't buy it. It's fun for like 5 minutes tops.

Watch this if you're not conviced. It's too simplistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJNX4X76G5I&feature=plcp
Shoot Many Robots is awesome and that video is stupid. First of all, he's playing what's 100% a controller pad-style game with a mouse, so it's like playing Command & Conquer on 360 and saying the series blows just because it's basically unplayable with a pad.

But, worse is that he just makes a bunch of shit up. He comments on being power-leveled and realizes that the other players load up a late level, then he says the game is imbalanced when he gets a lot of loot from it. Uh, that's generally what power-leveling does? Then he complains that the intermission between levels is too short, ignorant of the fact that it's actually infinite and the next level started right away because one of the other players initiated it. He also blindly assumes that the game scales difficulty and rewards after the players in the lobby, acting flabbergasted that he can't restrict the level of the players joining his game. The game doesn't scale at all and he's just pulling all of that complaint out of his ass.

Worst of all, though, is that he calls this time-honored arcade genre "mind-numbing." His opinion, sure, but if you can't get down with some good old Contra or Metal Slug action, I'm not sure you have any business browsing the Xbox Live Arcade marketplace in the first place. The game is great if you understand and accept what it is, and absolutely worth the 400MSP.

It only logs people that created an account there but anyone that gives half a shit (in the west) would have an account there.
Being one of the people on that list, I can also add that this is the same bunch of people that were doing the same race back on MyGamerCard, which had millions of registered users (compared to TA's like 200k). There's never been any "high rollers" that aren't on that list. (Not top 5 anyway, but the top 10 has changed throughout the years.)

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg
boxartlg.jpg

Karateka - 800msp
, 1GB.

ToeJam & Earl Collection - 800msp, 143MB.
#1 and 2

Also,

Magic 2013
--Deck Pack 1: Act of War & Sky and Scale - 240msp

Worms Revolution
--Mars Pack - 400msp

-----

Since there won't be a real release on friday,

Guilty Gear XX Λcore Plus will be release in more regions Friday.

Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czech, Denmark,
Finland, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway,
Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden and Switzerland.

Karateka is actually kind-of cool. You run along this path until you come across an opponent and then it zooms into fighting-game view and it's all about reading the opponent's movements to see what he's about to do and blocking accordingly, then striking back. It has a really good kung fu movie feel to it.

Might be a little too simple in the long run, though, considering all you do is memorize movements and how many presses of the block button you need to counter them with (like if he goes into preying mantis stance, he's about to hit you three times). And the flipside is if they go crazy with it and I have to, like, fight dragons and block breaths of fire, it might turn out to be really annoying.

I think I'll give it a shot and pick it up, though.

I've beaten Karateka once now, and it's pretty cool. It plays well and doesn't really get too frustrating or simple (the later monks who trick you and counter your attacks are bastards!), and it's got some really cool new ideas. I love the fact that if you die with one character, another suitor for the princess shows up and you keep playing as him. She's actually in love with the first character, though, so the goal is to win without dying.

I like how you run between the fights in a loading-free, flowing "world" too. You start out in the docks or something and work your way through the palace to the city gates and then finally to the inner palace where you fight the boss, all of it seamless and the opponents are just stationed guards that attack you as you approach.

Thought it looked like an easy achievement completion, though, and damn... That was pretty wrong! This is going to be one of the legendary ones. Even though the game is overall easy, beating the 30-50 (didn't keep count) enemies without taking a single hit is going to be a motherfucker.

Edit: Meh, a little bit shitty that quitting to the main menu is "surrendering," so you lose one of the warriors if you do. I guess that's to protect that tough achievement but that's not really worth screwing over the player if they need to go somewhere, like I did when I found out. Come up with another tough achievement instead!

Sectus

I've never tried Karateka before and I was very interested since I'm a huge fan of the original Prince of Persia. I can't say I enjoyed this at all (I only played the demo though). It seems to play like a combination of Infinity Blade and Guitar Hero. The only element in the fighting seems to be about memorizing the musical notes you hear before an enemy attacks so you can perfectly block him. I was hoping something akin to the fighting in the original POP which I feel is simple yet fun and dynamic (even though you could cheese it to a degree).

Was the original Karateka like this too? I'm curious if that had a different combat system than this.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Was the original Karateka like this too? I'm curious if that had a different combat system than this.

Well, lets compare! Here's some Gameplay of the Apple ][ version.

This game's play seems to be a bit more structured, and there seems to be more tells in the modern game. However, the cinematic nature and general pacing seem to be almost exactly the same.

Both games demanded the same "Stay safe, bide time, strike back!" gameplay, but this one has more form and rhythm to it. Feels like a nice update, and was probably a better idea than making it into a shallow, Street of Rage-a-lite, like some would.

I think it's a good looking experience for 800pts. I'd buy it myself, but I only have the points for TJ&E at the moment : /
Plus all the Vita stuff I've gotten lately... eesh.

Also have to note that I think it looks very nice in motion. Shadows and colors are very smooth, and the environments + camera work go well together. I just wish Maiko's hair was a bit more dynamic in motion; if it were animated like the hair of the girl in the "Paperman" short before Wreck-it-Ralph, it would really help sell her movements that much more.

Sectus

Well, lets compare! Here's some Gameplay of the Apple ][ version.

This game's play seems to be a bit more structured, and there seems to be more tells in the modern game. However, the cinematic nature and general pacing seem to be almost exactly the same.

Both games demanded the same "Stay safe, bide time, strike back!" gameplay, but this one has more form and rhythm to it. Feels like a nice update, and was probably a better idea than making it into a shallow, Street of Rage-a-lite, like some would.

I think it's a good looking experience for 800pts. I'd buy it myself, but I only have the points for TJ&E at the moment : /
Plus all the Vita stuff I've gotten lately... eesh.

Also have to note that I think it looks very nice in motion. Shadows and colors are very smooth, and the environments + camera work go well together. I just wish Maiko's hair was a bit more dynamic in motion; if it were animated like the hair of the girl in the "Paperman" short before Wreck-it-Ralph, it would really help sell her movements that much more.

Combat system is definitely entirely different in that video, hard to tell if the original is fun to play though. I guess it's not a big surprise it's so different as the new Karateka is extremely similar to Infinity Blade and that seems to what they used as main inspiration.

Vert boil

It's been a little while since we've had an up to date list of the cheaper games. Temp drops not included.

Aegis Wing - Free
Doritos Crash Course - Free
Happy Wars - Free
Harms Way - Free
Intel Discovered - Free
Hexic HD - Free
TotemBall - Free

SONIC & KNUCKLES - 240msp
The UnderGarden - 240msp

3 on 3 NHL Arcade - 400msp
3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures - 400msp
Aces of the Galaxy - 400msp
Adventures of Shuggy - 400msp
Age of Booty - 400msp
Altered Beast - 400msp
AQUA - 400msp
Arkadian Warriors - 400msp
Assault Heroes - 400msp
Assault Heroes 2 - 400msp
ATARI ASTEROIDS/ASTEROIDS DELUXE - 400msp
Battlezone - 400msp
Bejeweled 2 - 400msp
Bejeweled Blitz LIVE - 400msp
Blacklight: Tango Down - 400msp
Blade Kitten - 400msp
Blazing Birds - 400msp
Bliss Island - 400msp
Bloody Good Time - 400msp
Boogie Bunnies - 400msp
Brain Challenge - 400msp
CellFactor: Psychokinetic Wars - 400msp
CENTIPEDE / MILLIPEDE - 400msp
Chime - 400msp
Cloning Clyde - 400msp
Comix Zone - 400msp
Commanders: Attack of the Genos - 400msp
Contra - 400msp
CrazyMouse - 400msp
Crystal Quest - 400msp
Dead Space Ignition - 400msp
DIG DUG - 400msp
Discs Of Tron - 400msp
Domino Master - 400msp
DOOM - 400msp
DOOM II - 400msp
DEAD RISING 2: CASE ZERO - 400msp
Droplitz - 400msp
Ecco the Dolphin - 400msp
FATAL FURY SPECIAL - 400msp
Feeding Frenzy - 400msp
Frogger - 400msp
Galaga - 400msp
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved - 400msp
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime - 400msp
Gin Rummy - 400msp
Golf: Tee It Up! - 400msp
Gunstar Heroes - 400msp
GYRUSS - 400msp
Happy Tree Friends False Alarm - 400msp
Hardwood Backgammon - 400msp
Hardwood Hearts - 400msp
Hardwood Spades - 400msp
Haunted House - 400msp
Hydrophobia – 400msp
Interpol - 400msp
Jetpac Refuelled - 400msp
Mercury Hg - 400msp
Minesweeper Flags - 400msp
MISSILE COMMAND - 400msp
Ms. PAC-MAN - 400msp
NEW RALLY-X - 400msp
NIN2-JUMP - 400msp
PAC-MAN - 400msp
Panzer General Allied Assault - 400msp
Phantasy Star II - 400msp
Polar Panic - 400msp
Quarrel - 400msp
Rush'n Attack - 400msp
Scramble - 400msp
Sea Life Safari - 400msp
Shinobi - 400msp
Shrek-n-Roll - 400msp
Small Arms - 400msp
Sonic Adventure - 400msp
Sonic CD - 400msp
Sonic The Hedgehog - 400msp
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - 400msp
Sonic The Hedgehog 3 - 400msp
Space Giraffe - 400msp
Spyglass Board Games - 400msp
Star Raiders - 400msp
Street Fighter II' HF - 400msp
Super Contra - 400msp
Swarm - 400msp
Switchball - 400msp
TEMPEST - 400msp
Tetris Splash - 400msp
Texas Hold 'em - 400msp
The Path of Go - 400msp
The Walking Dead: Ep 1 - 400msp
Time Pilot - 400msp
Track & Field - 400msp
Tron - 400msp
UNO - 400msp
Vigilante 8: Arcade - 400msp
Voodoo Dice - 400msp
War World - 400msp
Warlords - 400msp
Wolfenstein 3D - 400msp
World Gone Sour - 400msp
Worms - 400msp
Xevious - 400msp
Xotic - 400msp
Yie Ar Kung-Fu - 400msp
Zombie Wranglers - 400msp
Zuma - 400msp

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what ever happened to that LIPS arcade game that was in that long list a few months back. As far as I know nearly every other game on there has surfaced so far, but LIPS hasn't.

Excellent list, account. Only thing I'd add is maybe that Tetris Splash and World Gone Sour are US only games.

Oh, and Walking Dead doesn't count IMO. Full experience is 2000MSP, isn't it?

Vert boil

Excellent list, account. Only thing I'd add is maybe that Tetris Splash and World Gone Sour are US only games.

Oh, and Walking Dead doesn't count IMO. Full experience is 2000MSP, isn't it?

Couldn't decide which way to go on the Walking Dead. Presumed it would be brought up either way. I'll add an Ep 1 tag.

There's probably at least ten NA only games there. People can have fun finding them themselves. :3

Couldn't decide which way to go on the Walking Dead. Presumed it would be brought up either way. I'll add an Ep 1 tag.

There's probably at least ten NA only games there. People can have fun finding them themselves. :3
Nah, it's just those two. Not sure if all of the rest of them are in every EU country, but Wolf3D is likely missing from any country that bans swastikas.

OH MAN FINALLY SOME NEW RARE XBLA GAMES!

Ski Race

Jump into a fantastic new way to enjoy your favourite sports! Fast-track the fun in solo or multiplayer, tackle micro goals and win badges in the all-new mission structure, grin for the camera and stamp your pics on the high score wall. So much to experience – at a fraction of the cost of real-life lessons!

boxartlg.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

Darts vs Zombies

Jump into a fantastic new way to enjoy your favourite sports! Fast-track the fun in solo or multiplayer, tackle micro goals and win badges in the all-new mission structure, grin for the camera and stamp your pics on the high score wall.

boxartlg.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Re: The Walking Dead

I just bought Episode 1 on a whim (400), but immediately realized that there might be some kind of bundle. Is there? Are there just 4 episodes (totaling 1600)?

Re: The Walking Dead

I just bought Episode 1 on a whim (400), but immediately realized that there might be some kind of bundle. Is there? Are there just 4 episodes (totaling 1600)?

You are fine, no mistake made. There is no bundle.

There are just 4 Eps available right now - Ep 5 is coming soon (final episode of season 1).

All Eps are 400MP

Socreges

Banned
You are fine, no mistake made. There is no bundle.

There are just 4 Eps available right now - Ep 5 is coming soon (final episode of season 1).

All Eps are 400MP
How many episodes are planned at this point? Depends on popularity, I guess?

And is 400MP about right for the amount of content?

How many episodes are planned at this point? Depends on popularity, I guess?

And is 400MP about right for the amount of content?

Episode 5 will end the story arc that was planned season 1. 5 episodes were planned for season 1 from he outset - there will be no more episodes for this season of the game

Season 2 is now planned / talked about, although there is no set details yet. Some say, they will be moving to all new characters for season 2, with a new setting too. That is probably the best move. as a lot of people seem to have got attached to the characters and story of season 1, and for them to give them a good send off in the finale (ep 5) it should be a definitive ending, and not a cliffhanger for season 2

400MP is a great price for each episode

Top Bottom