• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Alx

Are the Gears of War sequels worth trying ? For the record I liked what I played of the first, but didn't bother finishing it.

Are the Gears of War sequels worth trying ? For the record I liked what I played of the first, but didn't bother finishing it.

2 isn't bad, but it's not great either. 3 is decent but the first is still the best in my opinion. If you liked the first, I think you'll be able to enjoy the sequels, just don't expect too much and you'll be fine.

Oynox

Good week, compared to the last.

I think I will finally buy Perfect Dark. And maybe Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Charlie Murder and I am seriously thinking about buying Halo Reach.

Any words for/agains each title, or should I just buy them all? How's the online activity for Halo Reach? Played this games quite some time ago, but only SWAT. :D

Feindflug

Don't waste money on Gears 2, Gears 3 though is a great game filled with content and definitely worth playing...for some reason Gears 3 is an under appreciated game here in gaf. :(

Woffls

Some random UK prices from that MS publisher sale list - some seem appropriately discounted, some don't:

DMC HD Collection - £6.59
Remember Me - £6.59
Gears 3 - £9.89
Halo: Reach - £8.24
Perfect Dark - £2.02
Alan Wake - £3.74
Crackdown - £3.95

Been looking for Gears 3, but not liking that price.

I liked the first game, but I didn't think it put the franchise quite up there with the likes of Halo. However, the second game blew me away, which surprised me a little, since the consensus on GAF seems to be that everything went downhill after the original (in retrospect, I really shouldn't have been surprised by my disagreement with the consensus, but hey). It's really bigger, better and more badass, I loved it. Haven't played the rest yet, though.

Mind you, there's an extremely hard sequence at the very start of the second chapter, compounded by a poorly placed checkpoint (it's very similar to the "look at all that juice" moment from the first game). I nearly gave up at that point, but I'm glad I didn't.

Any words for/agains each title, or should I just buy them all?

Reach has a very good campaign, but it drags a little. Compared to other Halo FPS games released last gen, I'd put it ahead of ODST, but behind Halo 3, Halo: Anniversary (by quite a margin) and Halo 4 (slightly). I have no idea about the online activity.

might pick up dragon's dogma. i had the original release but never completed it, is there enough for me to double-dip, so to speak? i mean the price is great either way.
really wanted a cheap lollipop chainsaw too, shame it's not available digitally in the uk.

Brakara

I liked the first game, but I didn't think it put the franchise quite up there with the likes of Halo. However, the second game blew me away, which surprised me a little, since the consensus on GAF seems to be that everything went downhill after the original

I think Gears 2 gets a bad rap because of the broken multiplayer. The campaign and horde mode were both great fun.

Ferr986

might pick up dragon's dogma. i had the original release but never completed it, is there enough for me to double-dip, so to speak? i mean the price is great either way.
really wanted a cheap lollipop chainsaw too, shame it's not available digitally in the uk.

I double dipped on Dark Arisen after beating the vanilla version. No regrets. The new area is really meaty and theres lots of improvements on the main game too.

Montresor

Gears 1 and Gears 2 single player campaigns are great. Gears 3 has the weakest single player. For all the shit-talking that nay sayers said about "Gears of Brown", this series' dreary gray and brown colour palette improves the atmosphere of the campaign tremendously. Gears 1 and 2 had that in spades, but Gears 3's single player has too many colourful, tropical environments for my taste.

Gears 3's multiplayer is gaming perfection though.

Montresor

That's a good price for Halo Reach but I'm refusing to even play my free Halo 3 digital copy until we see what MS is doing this fall. The prophet NTKRL was saying Halo 2 + 3 + 4 would all be ported to XB1 this fall. I'd be so ecstatic if Reach and ODST were included.

Gears 2 has a good single player but it's multi is all over the place even after the monster patches the game received.

Gears 3 is a great game but I think it's single player pales compared to 1 and 2.

Daemul

McNabb-Blank-Stare_GIF.gif

I deserve that GIF lol. An Xbox user and I haven't played a single Gears game, to make it even worse I haven't played a single Halo game either.

2423095-boo_this_man.gif

That's going to change with this sale though. I've bought all 3 gears games, plus Halo Reach and Halo Wars, and i'll buy the buy the rest of the Halo games aswell. I will correct my mistake.

I think one man could go crazy playing the three Gears games back to back.

If you can, try and break then up with something else in between.

JDdelphin

Decent sale. Someone talk me out of buying Fire Pro Wrestling...
There's one totally glitched 'never get' achievement.

And another one that's glitched but maybe nobody other than me has ground it out to unlock the avatar apparel that goes along with it only to find out you neither get the achievement or the avatar bonus pants when you buy every single item in the shop...

It's mildly amusing with friends and worth the price of an indy game but it's broken and shallow (even when compared to some of the ACTUAL prowrestling indy titles. Action Arcade Wrestling 2 might be a better purchase if that type of game is what you're in the mood for)

Chettlar

Banned
I deserve that GIF lol. An Xbox user and I haven't played a single Gears game, to make it even worse I haven't played a single Halo game either.

2423095-boo_this_man.gif

That's going to change with this sale though. I've bought all 3 gears games, plus Halo Reach and Halo Wars, and i'll buy the buy the rest of the Halo games aswell. I will correct my mistake.

You're in for a treat. :)

See if you can get your hands on Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary (or even the original if possible). Such a fantastic game.

Oh, and don't forget to play all the Halos and GoWs in Co-op. They're ten times better that way trust me. Even parts in the Halo campaigns that I didn't even really like are really, really fun in co-op.

Oh, and play the Halo stories in order if possible.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
FWIW just checked GS and the trade in credit for DD:DA is $10

might make the $4 digital upgrade

rezn0r

thanks for the heads up, I grabbed Halo Wars & Spartan Assault (for XB1, which I know isn't really a sale, but I didn't know it was that cheap either) and now I have every Halo.

unrelated note, I went back and finished ODST the past 2 days, and it was better than I remembered. I thought I hated running around the city aimlessly, but once you actually start to get to the actual missions it was pretty good. and the soundtrack is the balls!

Don't do that to yourself.

There's one totally glitched 'never get' achievement.

And another one that's glitched but maybe nobody other than me has ground it out to unlock the avatar apparel that goes along with it only to find out you neither get the achievement or the avatar bonus pants when you buy every single item in the shop...

It's mildly amusing with friends and worth the price of an indy game but it's broken and shallow (even when compared to some of the ACTUAL prowrestling indy titles. Action Arcade Wrestling 2 might be a better purchase if that type of game is what you're in the mood for)

Well that's a bullet dodged. Thanks for the feedback, I was pretty damn close to pulling the trigger too...

Chettlar

Banned
thanks for the heads up, I grabbed Halo Wars & Spartan Assault (for XB1, which I know isn't really a sale, but I didn't know it was that cheap either) and now I have every Halo.

unrelated note, I went back and finished ODST the past 2 days, and it was better than I remembered. I thought I hated running around the city aimlessly, but once you actually start to get to the actual missions it was pretty good. and the soundtrack is the balls!

Wish ODST was on sale. I'd pick it up if it was.

Anyway. Off to pick up Reach and Gears 3.

Chettlar

Banned
Another Microsoft publisher sale without Banjo Kazooie. When was the last time those two games did go on sale?

Really anything to do with Rare. Haven't seen Viva Pinata on sale either.

Would love something like Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise next month for GwG. That and ODST. Would be absolutely perfect.

Vert boil

Will there be an easter sale ?

Maybe, no one knows yet.

The last few years,

2012: April 8th
GoD Sale: 27th March – 2nd April
Max Payne Sale: 3rd April - 9th April

2013: March 31st
Spring Sale: 26th March - 1st April
Microsoft Studios Sale: 2nd April - 8th April

2014: April 20th
Microsoft Studios Publisher Sale: 8th April - 14th April
???: 15th April - 21st April

Ulthwe

Stupid question: is it possible to add items (basically games) from the marketplace to a wishlist or something, from the website or the console?

I'm always finding good stuff when browsing the marketplace, which I may download / buy in the future, and I'd like to keep it somewhere.

EagleEyes

Stupid question: is it possible to add items (basically games) from the marketplace to a wishlist or something, from the website or the console?

I'm always finding good stuff when browsing the marketplace, which I may download / buy in the future, and I'd like to keep it somewhere.
What I usually do is just pin it so I can find it in the future when looking for a game to purchase.

TheMan

is it just me or was halo wars already on sale very recently? i guess the game is not living up sales expectations.

Deal of the Week 4/15 to 4/21

-Batman: Arkham Asylum----------------------------------------------- $4.99 (6.67 GB)
-Batman: Arkham City--------------------------------------------------- $4.99 (7.65 GB)
-Batman: Arkham City: Harley Quinn's Revenge------------------- $2.49 (901.68 MB)
-Batman: Arkham City: Arkham City Skin Pack--------------------- $1.24 (56.14 MB)
-Batman: Arkham Origins: Season Pass---------------------------- $9.99
-Batman: Arkham Origins: Initiation---------------------------------- $3.49
-Batman: Arkham Origins: Infinite Earths Skin Pack-------------- $2.49
-Batman: Arkham Origins: Deathstroke Pack---------------------- $2.99
-Batman: Arkham Origins: New Millennium Skins------------------ $2.99
-Lego Batman 2 ---------------------------------------------------------$6.59 (4.11 GB
-Gotham City Imposters------------------------------------------------ $3.74

Spring Blowout Sale 4/15 to 4/21

-New Vegas: Lonesome Road------------------------------------------ $2.49 (451.39 MB)
-New Vegas: Honest Hearts--------------------------------------------- $2.49 (254.28 MB)
-New Vegas: Dead Money----------------------------------------------- $2.49 (248.65 MB)
-New Vegas: Old World Blues------------------------------------------ $2.49 (409.23 MB)
-New Vegas: Gun Runner's Arsenal----------------------------------- $.99 (58.89 MB)
-New Vegas: Courier's Stash------------------------------------------- $.49 (9.67 MB)
-Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage-------------------------------------- $1.24 (369.48 MB)
-Fallout 3: Point Lookout------------------------------------------------ $1.24 (449.87 MB)
-Fallout 3: The Pitt-------------------------------------------------------- $1.24 (492.21 MB)
-Fallout 3: Broken Steel------------------------------------------------- $1.24 (620.06 MB)
-Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta--------------------------------------------- $1.24 (324.36 MB)
-Skryim: Dragonborn---------------------------------------------------- $4.99 (790.15 MB)
-Skryim: Hearthfire------------------------------------------------------- $1.24 (75.78 MB)
-Pinball FX 2: Star Wars------------------------------------------------ $4.99
-Pinball FX 2: Star Wars Balance of the Force--------------------- $4.99
-Pinball FX 2: Varioius DLC Tables----------------------------------- Varies
-Tropico 4: Various DLC------------------------------------------------ $2.49
-Saints Row 4------------------------------------------------------------- $14.99
-Saints Row 4: Season Pass------------------------------------------- $3.39
-Saints Row 4: Various DLC-------------------------------------------- Varies
-Pac-Man CE DX+-------------------------------------------------------- $4.99 (222.67 MB)
-Pac-Man CE DX+: Various DLC--------------------------------------- Varies
-Assassin's Creed Liberation HD-------------------------------------- $13.39 (1.75 GB)
-State of Decay: Breakdown-------------------------------------------- $3.39 (4.73 MB)
-The Wolf Among Us Episode 2---------------------------------------- $2.49 (642.68 MB)
-Dead Island: Ryder White DLC---------------------------------------- $2.49 (763.06 MB)
-Dead Island: Bloodbath Arena---------------------------------------- $2.49 (1001.50 MB)
-Armored Core: Verdict Day: Various DLC--------------------------- Varies
-Assassin's Creed 4: Freedom Cry------------------------------------ $6.69
-Assassin's Creed 4: Various DLC------------------------------------- Varies

-F1 2013: F1 Classic Tracks-------------------------------------------- $4.99
-F1 2013: Classic Edition Upgrade Bundle--------------------------- $6.24
-F1 2013: 1990s Pack---------------------------------------------------- $4.99
-Thief: The Bank Heist---------------------------------------------------- $2.49
-Lego Marvel---------------------------------------------------------------- $33.49
-Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall------------------------------------- $2.49
-Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches----------------------------------- $2.49
-Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials--------------------------------------- $1.24
-Prototype 2---------------------------------------------------------------- $9.99
-Toy Soldiers: Invasion--------------------------------------------------- $1.64
-Toy Soldiers: Kaiser's Battle-------------------------------------------- $1.64
-The Walking Dead Season 1: All Episodes-------------------------- $2.49 Each

Borderlands 2 Spring Sale

-Borderlands 2-------------------------------------------------------------- $4.99 (5.54 GB)
-Borderlands 2 Season Pass-------------------------------------------- $14.99
-Borderlands 2 Mechromancer Pack----------------------------------- $4.99
-Borderlands 2 Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty------------ $4.99(1.29 GB)
-Borderlands 2 Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage----------------- $4.99(1.54 GB)
-Borderlands 2 Creature Slaughterdome------------------------------ $2.49
-Borderlands 2 Collector's Edition Pack-------------------------------- $2.49
-Borderlands 2 Sir Hammerlocks Big Game Hunt--------------------- $4.99(1001.31 MB)
-Borderlands 2 Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack----------------- $2.49
-Borderlands 2 Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep----------------- $ 4.99(1.77 GB)
-Borderlands 2 Psycho Pack---------------------------------------------- $4.99 (128.36 MB)
-Borderlands 2 Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2--------------- $2.49 (652.15 MB)
-Borderlands 2 Headhunter 1: Bloody Harvest------------------------ $1.49 (537.78 MB)
-Borderlands 2 Headhunter 2: Wattle Gobbler------------------------ $1.49 (1021.87 MB)
-Borderlands 2 Headhunter 3: Mercenary Day------------------------ $1.49 (1021.87 MB)
-Borderlands 2 Headhunter 4: Wedding Day Massacre------------- $1.49 (1003.93 MB)
-29 additional add-ons(skins)-------------------------------------------- $.49

Not too shabby. Nice to see FO3 make a triumphant return to the sales rotation.

Top Bottom