• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Seems better than I thought. I wasn't enjoying CCC1, because of how the continues were set up. Would you happen to know where that music is from at the 1:07 mark?

Don't know were the music if from offhand, unfortunately. I'd like to guess 1943?

Those CCC ports were all Backbone, and these are M2, so they should be much better in the end. Now I wish this collection had Varth... that's probably my favorite "suprise hit" from CC1, and I really enjoyed the music to that game, to boot...

It's hard to see in that screenshot up there, too, but they mention on the 1943 screen that you can play different region releases of the game. So that's a nice addition for this collection.

I STILL want my Knights of the Round, King Arthur, Captain Commando, etc... but I do like the level of detail in this collection, so far. And I have a weakness for Sidearms, as I had and enjoyed it very much on the TG16... Legendary Wings was also a favorite on NES, for that matter...

So, as promised, the Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Homepage was updated today, and the release date was announced on the Official Blog.

Release Date: 2/27/2013
Price: 800 MSP

The Homepage Update:
  • Skill Setup and Item were opened and Location was updated, all on the SYSTEM page.
  • Main, Sub and Enemy Character sections were updated on the CHARACTER page.

Boss Of Stage 1>
boss1.gif
monster1.gif
< A unique enemey of later stages.

2 Additional Playable Characters were added to the Sub Character area (Playable in Co Op and VS modes),
Infinity and Nagi Kumon.
It sounds like they're both unlockable secret characters. (Neither seem to be the already-announced future DLC character.)

Videos for the 2:
Infinity:
: Special Moves -- Super Move
Nagi Kumon
: Special Moves -- Super Move
monster3.gif

want this game so bad :) i wonder if there is a place where all these pixel artist go besides pixeljoint

Galdelico

Well, at least Capcom Arcade Cabinet looks promising in terms of emulation and extra contents: I'm really curious to know more about diplay settings and if we're going to get a region selector as well (for some games that would be quite a big deal... Maybe it will depend on consoles' language?).

Oh, and can't wait for the 27th.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, at least Capcom Arcade Cabinet looks promising in terms of emulation and extra contents: I'm really curious to know more about diplay settings and if we're going to get a region selector as well (for some games that would be quite a big deal... Maybe it will depend on consoles' language?).

Oh, and can't wait for the 27th.

Article at Polygon telling more of Arcade Cabinet.

Well, you can see region settings are taken into account in the 1942 screenshot: it mantions "Current version: International Version". M2's been good about offering all versions in the past, so should be nothing to worry about.

As for Screen settings, seems like Genesis collections (So 4:3, 16:9. option of scanlines on or off, smoothing, and the "Dot by Dot" image setting on top of all that), but the new feature to turn the game screens any way you want to (seen at the end of the trailer) making that Vertical-based shooters a breeze to customize to play with on a spin'able TV.

Going by the kind of dipswitches on offer, even if there was no clear cut "Make it this version" style game, you'd probably be able to adjust the settings to match bullet ranges, lives, and other details to fit those other releases.

want this game so bad :) i wonder if there is a place where all these pixel artist go besides pixeljoint

I dunno, especially on the Japanese side. All I've ever seen them mention for the developers is that it's made by MAGES, and I can't even find info on that company consistently... hopefully, they become more known after releasing this. The blog seems to state that they're a small JP company that wants to make traditional style games that can appeal to the global market... so I hope to see a lot more of them!

I'm very surprized with the enemy variety on had so far... each stage seems to have it's own enemy themes, with vastly different Silhouette shapes and attack types. A lot fewer reskins then I'd expect outside of the stages themselves, and bosses actually seem to be original beast (mixed in with some normal characters), rather than just all VS human enemies.

I thought 6 playable characters (which all have their full arsenal from Phantom Breaker, it seems) was great, but if it's actually 8, all for an online capable game at 800 MSP? Well, that's just great.

Galdelico

Well, you can see region settings are taken into account in the 1942 screenshot: it mantions "Current version: International Version".
Ohh neat! Thanks, I totally failed to notice that.

Also: is it confirmed that M2 is working on this project? There's no mention of it on their website.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Following the recent announcement of Capcom Arcade Cabinet it’s now time to lift the lid and reveal the full list of classic 8-bit titles and how gamers will be able to transform their PlayStation3 or Xbox 360 into their very own customizable, HD 80s arcade.

Starting February 19 until early May, a total of 15 titles from 1984-1988 will be released on a staggered schedule available to purchase digitally either as a series of packs or individually, allowing players to choose what they want to buy. By purchasing all 15 titles, either separately or together, players will gain access to two bonus games absolutely free.

Downloading an individual title or pack will also give access to the Capcom Arcade Cabinet ‘platform’ which provides additional features including DIP switch functionality, a music player, and the ability to capture and share screenshots or video. When playing in standard mode, players will be able to access DIP switch-like settings to adjust their number of lives and difficulty, including a Casual Mode which tones down the difficulty level and makes it more attainable to see the end credits. Further features include 2 player online play for certain titles; a global leaderboard; a training mode with infinite lives to hone your strategy and an option to select either the Japanese or international versions of the individual titles.

In order to share their experiences with friends, PlayStation 3 users will be able to capture video of gameplay to post on YouTube, while Xbox 360 users will be able to upload screenshots to Facebook. Further additions include a sound gallery that allows players to listen to the background music of any of the games in their cabinet, and an art gallery which fills with new pieces as players progress through the games.

Game Pack 1 and the first individual title, Black Tiger, will be available on February 19. Xbox 360 owners will be able to play through the game with a single credit before restarting. On the PlayStation 3, players will have unlimited credits effectively giving them the full game for free.

utSXzZ2.png

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think I'll wait for the value combo and save some money to get everything.

Hopefully, there's more coming, I love these arcade compilations.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, wait a 3rd of a year, and save 15 bucks! That's... hmm. Well, more on Xbox, since 2000 pts = $25. So if you don't even have to buy the first pack, the whole thing is 25 bucks! ....

Oh well, it's cool to see all the extra features they're putting into it. Even if a lot of it is just already-there arcade functionality, Organizing and setting it up this way is still a good idea. And I always appreciate art galleries and music players.

I guess this is the same way capcom handles costume DLC for their fighters, but missing out on games in a collection is different than missing out on costumes for characters you may never play.

Why not to offer the all-in-one package since day 1 at reduced price even if the games are not available until later dates? This way they will only hurt sales as a lot of gamers (including me) will wait for the deal at the end of the launch cycle.

I'm betting that "all" game pack on XBLA does not include the first three games. Because on Xbox the first 3 games are considered the "full game" and additional games are the "add on content". Which is why it is 2000msp instead of 2400msp. To offset the 400msp you have to spend to get Game Pack 1 and unlock access to buying further games.

-Game Packs will debut approximately every two weeks starting February 19th and games from the previously released Game Pack will be available following the launch of every new Game Pack (With the exception of individual games from Game Pack 5 available on April 30th.)

-Black Tiger is yours free on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. However, those downloading on XBLA will only receive one credit, whereas PS3 users will have unlimited credits. 360 players will be able to play the entire game as much as they&#146;d like, just without continues. Sorry about that, but it&#146;s due to how different first party platforms distinguish demos and such.

-Xbox 360 users will need to purchase the discounted Game Pack 1 in order to access further Capcom Arcade Cabinet content and neither 1943 or Avenger will be available for individual purchase via XBLA. PS3 owners will have access to all of the titles individually in the Capcom Arcade Collection, and so will Xbox owners, with the sole exception of the two aforementioned titles. Again, apologies.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantista/blog/2013/02/07/capcom-arcade-cabinet-full-games-list-release-dates-and-pricing

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm betting that "all" game pack on XBLA does not include the first three games.

Yeah, looks that way. Works out well enough either way.

Nah, wait six months until it's DotW =P

Haha, or there's that. I guess they just hope the desire to play these games with friends and compare score will push desires along... announcing what basically seems like a mini-sale already at the end of the release window is kind of foolish, really...

Why not to offer the all-in-one package since day 1 at reduced price even if the games are not available until later dates? This way they will only hurt sales as a lot of gamers (including me) will wait for the deal at the end of the launch cycle.

Yeah, a day 1 "Arcade Pass" would be preferred. Reminds me of old entertainment centers, which would let you pay 20 dollars for a bunch of tokens and tickets for prizes, all in one package.

They could at least make it so that buying the first pack gets you a discount applied, if you keep buying each pack as they release. I mean, Darkstalkers comes out during this release time. The difference in money saved in this equals buying that point blank.

Rlan

I'm betting that "all" game pack on XBLA does not include the first three games. Because on Xbox the first 3 games are considered the "full game" and additional games are the "add on content". Which is why it is 2000msp instead of 2400msp. To offset the 400msp you have to spend to get Game Pack 1 and unlock access to buying further games.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantista/blog/2013/02/07/capcom-arcade-cabinet-full-games-list-release-dates-and-pricing

That's a weird way of doing it. You don't require the main Pinball FX 2 pack to play any of the other titles.

Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds is my current most-wanted XBLA title.
Can't wait for the 27th.

Hmm...oh shit. I forgot that my Gold subscription ran out.

I need a cheap month or three.

One of the bonus games is 1943 Kai via blurry title screen shot in the trailer.

I couldn't make out the other.

Nice. Although I have to wonder why Capcom is even bothering with vanilla 1943. Kai kicks it down a flight of stairs.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Didn't Capcom remake one of 1942 or 1943 for XBLA? How did that turn out?

1942 Joint Strike.

Always looked great to me, nice having a widescreen shooter in HD, though I have to admit its one of those early XBLA games that fell through the cracks for me.

It's on the Capcom Arcade Complimation disk released a few months back, too.

Seems about par for the course in quality and expectations with Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3.

I really liked those lower-budget, downloadable classic sequels. Bionic Commando Rearmed series was cool and all, but I would have loved to have seen them continue to dig into the back catalog for random games to update...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Now I can play Black Tiger so I can understand the reference in "Ready Player One". Yeaaaaaa

maybe the worst book ever written.

how anyone could enjoy that garbage is beyond me. the fact that it got published in the first place is a travesty.

aku:jiki

Joint Strike appears to be pretty divisive; the kind of game that genre aficionados think is a terrible example of everything the west misunderstands about the genre, but the kind of game that casual players who can't pronounce "Ikaruga" and don't know what a "Cave" is think is great.

I'm with the first crowd myself. The game blows.

Because 1942's purity and awesome whistling soundtrack elevates it to the best one in the series.
Come on, son. That's 19XX, everyone knows this.

Lima

So I just bought Amy. I remember playing the demo and liking the core gameplay. I read that they had a rather large update for the game so for less than $4 I'm willing to give it a try.

Vert boil

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

All Zombies Must Die! - 400msp (was 800)
Zombie Apocalypse - 400msp (was 800)
Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone - 400msp (was 800)
--Pure Pwnage Pack - 200msp (was 400)
Zombie Driver HD - 400msp (was 800)
Zombie Wranglers - 200msp (was 400)

Dead Rising 2
--Skill Pack Ninja - 80msp (was 160)

Some tat as well (avatar/gamerpics)

-----

Tempest - 240msp (was 400)

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
--Character Roster Pass - 200msp (was 560)

NBA 2K13 - 2400msp/30$ (was 4800/60$) US price, check your region
--All-Star Add-On - 200msp (was 400)
--Blue Diamond Jewelry Collection - 1000msp (was 2000)
--Gold Jewelry Collection - 200msp (was 400)
--Platinum Jewelry Collection - 400msp (was 800)
seinfeldiyurz.gif

--Spanish Commentary Add-On - 200msp (was 400)

Spec Ops: The Line - 2400msp/30$ (was 3200/40$) US price, check your region

-----
Sales & specials+ app

Limbo - 480msp (was 1200)
N+ - 320msp (was 800)
Spelunky - 480msp (was 1200)

Slygmous

Man these deals sure are.... something....

Maybe they're trying to stir up some zombie interest for State of Decay, which should be coming out soon I hope. It wasn't even on my radar until I heard of Jesper Kyd's involvement (and there are sample tracks floating around now).

Just realized that I've had a spare Minecraft code for a few months. Anyone want to buy it at a 50% discount, 800MSP?

I think "uninspired" would be being kind to every one of those zombie games. Plain bad is more accurate.
Pretty much the worst sale ever. Not one of those games is worth buying, or even playing for free. They couldn't at least include the Dead Rising games?

All these Atari sales are making me nervous. Picked up Yar's Revenge in sheer fear of delisting even though I don't like it that much...

YuGiOh is being re-re-released? Are they letting a monkey hammering away at a keyboard run the service nowadays or what?

Oh wait, they always have...

Top Bottom