• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

yeah always check the banner link too ;)

banner.png

vg260

Bought Black Knight Sword on sale the other day, and this game is so bad, I had to rant about it somewhere. I know the style is bizarre and visually interesting, and I bought it for that, but good lord is the gameplay un-fun. It's so bad, I couldn't take it, especially after not auto-saving meant I lost 3 levels of progress. Yuck.

derFeef

Heh understandable, but the chat on the playxbla channel is fine. I watched the State of Decay stream a couple days back too and it was civil as well. I need to check that more often, neat to get a look at upcoming games.

When the hell is Monaco coming out

Seriously

The dev said on Twitch yesterday he's hoping it's will be as little as a week.
It's a small enough issue that was fixed, although he didn't mention what it was saying he couldn't.
Trying to take away a positive about delay, it could help add some more sales because it's reviewing well all round.
I had my points ready and waiting for it though.

Jhoan

I suppose this new Title Update will give me a reason to get back into playing Happy Wars since it was pretty fun from what I played of it a couple of months ago. I would love to play with a GAF group since playing with annoying 12-13 year old kids has soured my experience. I seem to recall there being an OT for this game, so I suppose I'll bump the thread.

And while I'm at it, I played the Sacred Citadel trial the other day. I played as the Mage. It's a pretty solid beat em up game; I simply hate the fact that defeating enemies with the weak attack combo lacks any satisfying feedback so I always have to finish them off with a strong attack to get the satisfying feedback of watching an enemy fly backwards or what have you. After playing Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds which nails down the satisfying feedback, this game is a bit of a let down in that regard.

It reminds me of Castle Crashers mixed with Golden Axe but with 3D visuals which are pretty. The character designs are nothing to write home about but the creature designs are pretty impressive and expressive. Playing as the Mage (despite the fact that I hate her design), was pretty fun. She gets a move that freezes enemies in mid air which is pretty sweet. I suppose the loot system is pretty nice as well as it makes the game a little bit more unique from other beat em games on XBLA.

While I'm a huge lover/sucker for beat em up games, I think 1200MSP is not worth the price of admission. I'll get when it eventually goes on sale. I would've have bought it if it was 800 MSP like I did with the aforementioned Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds and Double Dragon: Neon both of which are some of the best em up games on XBLA.

Ooooo Monaco, will be trialling that tomorrow.

My quest to spend 3,200pts is nearing its end, I guess. I've narrowed it down to these titles:

Monaco (1,200)
Phantom Breaker (800)
Exit 2 (800)
Shotest Shogi (800)
Omega V (800)
Gel (800)
Space Ark (800)
From Dust (480)
Rotastic (400)
Sealife Safari (400)
Droplitz (400)

I had a go at Double Dragon Neon and died in the trial. Like, game overed. Like, I lost all my lives. Like, after literally three screens. I didn't get it at all, I've never been good at those kinds of games but I've never been that bad. I couldn't work out how to defend or how to play it in any way whatsoever, I was just punching and getting destroyed because I couldn't work out how to do anything aside from just punch and kick in between getting punched and kicked. It didn't help that I played the trial of Phantom Breaker right after and it was brilliant, just totally flashy, coins and numbers spraying everywhere, and it made me feel good even though I was still shit. I think it was doing the overpowered-in-the-beginning thing, but damn if it wasn't working.

So yeah, anyone have any opinions on the above one way or the other? Probably leaning towards Exit2, Monaco, From Dust and Phantom Breaker at the moment, depending on how I take to the trial of Monaco.

Jhoan

My quest to spend 3,200pts is nearing its end, I guess. I've narrowed it down to these titles:

Monaco (1,200)
Phantom Breaker (800)
Exit 2 (800)
Shotest Shogi (800)
Omega V (800)
Gel (800)
Space Ark (800)
From Dust (480)
Rotastic (400)
Sealife Safari (400)
Droplitz (400)

I had a go at Double Dragon Neon and died in the trial. Like, game overed. Like, I lost all my lives. Like, after literally three screens. I didn't get it at all, I've never been good at those kinds of games but I've never been that bad. I couldn't work out how to defend or how to play it in any way whatsoever, I was just punching and getting destroyed because I couldn't work out how to do anything aside from just punch and kick in between getting punched and kicked. It didn't help that I played the trial of Phantom Breaker right after and it was brilliant, just totally flashy, coins and numbers spraying everywhere, and it made me feel good even though I was still shit. I think it was doing the overpowered-in-the-beginning thing, but damn if it wasn't working.

So yeah, anyone have any opinions on the above one way or the other? Probably leaning towards Exit2, Monaco, From Dust and Phantom Breaker at the moment, depending on how I take to the trial of Monaco.
Phantom Breaker starts out initially with you being overpowered, then getting your powers taken away and building your way up again. It plays a lot like Scott Pilgrim does except with chibi characters and Tokyo as a backdrop instead.

With Double Dragon Neon you have to dodge to avoid attacks and build up a special glow that gives you an attack. I forgot the controls since it's been a while since I played it, but think there's a dedicated dodge button. You can also your special move i.e. the famous hurricane kick at the cost of using some of your meter. Also, equipping tapes is a must.

Give it another chance, look at the controls in options, then you'll start kicking ass. The game is good besides the fact that it's a slower DD game than the main series.

Get Omega V, great hidden Gem shump.

The thing pushing me away from this at the moment is the sheer amount of shmups I've already got! I have a personal goal to get the achievement for A-ranking stage one of Ikaruga to do. I've got Triggerheart Exelica, Radiant Silvergun, Sine Mora, Guwange, Trouble Witches Neo, R-Type Dimensions and Bangai-O on XBLA. I've got DeathSmiles, Dodonpachi and Under Defeat retail. I should probably dedicate some time to at least one of those :lol

Phantom Breaker starts out initially with you being overpowered, then getting your powers taken away and building your way up again. It plays a lot like Scott Pilgrim does except with chibi characters and Tokyo as a backdrop instead.

With Double Dragon Neon you have to dodge to avoid attacks and build up a special glow that gives you an attack. I forgot the controls since it's been a while since I played it, but think there's a dedicated dodge button. You can also your special move i.e. the famous hurricane kick at the cost of using some of your meter. Also, equipping tapes is a must.

Give it another chance, look at the controls in options, then you'll start kicking ass. The game is good besides the fact that it's a slower DD game than the main series.

Yeah, LT was crouch or something, but it really wasn't clear what it was doing. As you say, too, it's really slow and the difference when I booted up PB was amazing. They probably should have done a much better job of explaining the mechanics in DDN because I'm sure it's a fine game once you've played it loads, it's just not beginner-friendly whatsoever, and it means that I don't really want to play on.

mujun

Monaco (1,200)
Phantom Breaker (800)
Exit 2 (800)
Shotest Shogi (800)
Omega V (800)
Gel (800)
Space Ark (800)
From Dust (480)
Rotastic (400)
Sealife Safari (400)
Droplitz (400)

I bought Phantom Breaker recently. Didn't enjoy it that much. It feels way too mashy and that is exacerbated by AI that doesn't attack very much (on normal and hard, anyway), having all the abilities you get to use at the start taken away (the ones that actually feel different from each other) and the fact that the normals come out so fast (and there seems to be little difference between them) that it is very hard to use them with any finesse.

I also found the levels to be samey aside from the backgrounds (it is two long parallel lines, no obstacles, bumps, dips, etc).

It has some charm but I much preferred Neon. Neon is hard at first but once you start leveling up it becomes manageable at least (similar to Scott Pilgrim, actually). It also requires a good degree of skill and rewards multiple playthroughs.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So From Dust worth it? Thinking I"ll pick that up since the PC port is ass. Besides that likely going to pick up Puzzle Fighter.

Montresor

Darn reading more of your posts on 360achievements.org, I gotta say sorry toythatkills. I'm being really scummy with Quarrel and the anagram solver. What can I say, after I bought it I found I didn't love the game and wanted to get the achievements quickly. I can say that I'd never use it in multiplayer (although that community is dead so that's a moot point).

On another note: ilomilo is absolutely incredible. I can't say enough good things about it. And I solved all the puzzles and found all the safkas without outside help (and using the in-game hints only a handful of times. Now I'm halfway through the DLC chapter. This is a really adorable and beautiful and challenging puzzle game.

So From Dust worth it? Thinking I"ll pick that up since the PC port is ass. Besides that likely going to pick up Puzzle Fighter.

From Dust belongs in the small group of games that I forced myself through because I played a good portion in, realized I wasn't enjoying it much at all, but really just wanted to beat it to know I "got my money's worth," and also to get the achievements. The first couple levels are pretty neat and it's fun to toy with the environment but then I grew to absolutely hate it by the very end.

Phantom Breaker and Rotastic were my two other choices when I decided on Pid to finish off my 3200 spent for the month. I simply don't dig most brawlers and Phantom Breaker didn't appear to add enough interesting stuff in the YouTube video I checked to win me over. I played the demo of Rotastic when it first hit and actually had quite a bit of fun with it. Honestly I should have bought that instead of Pid, as that would have been enough to hit me to 3200, but I forgot about it. It's a simple arcade-y game that looks like it's a Flash game but it plays well and was good for short levels and some amusing play. It's not incredible but 400 points is low enough that I'd be quite okay with that.

Also, if Monaco does show up suddenly before the end of the month I'll be a little miffed. I bought Pid because I needed to replace Monaco as my last game to buy for the month. Oh well.

Cth

RE: Poker Night at the Inventory 2

Love the game, but this is the second time the game failed to recognize a flush I had.

legbone

RE: Poker Night at the Inventory 2

Love the game, but this is the second time the game failed to recognize a flush I had.

yeah, i'm loving this game also but i too noticed it fucks up from time to time. really inexcusable in a poker game. i had a flush that went unnoticed also. at first i thought it was because i was having a hard time telling the spades from the clubs. but then it screwed me on a heart flush. also some weird shit tends to happen when there are more than two people going all in. sometimes the side bets get screwy and you get fucked. plus the game is buggy. it's a damn shame because it is a hell of a lot of fun.

edit: and i'm playing texas only. i like to play omaha in real life but for some reason i do not like it in the game. not sure why that is.

On another note: ilomilo is absolutely incredible. I can't say enough good things about it. And I solved all the puzzles and found all the safkas without outside help (and using the in-game hints only a handful of times. Now I'm halfway through the DLC chapter. This is a really adorable and beautiful and challenging puzzle game.

I'm with you on this one. It's a pure XBLA gem to me.

Oh no, I downloaded it too. If I boot it up will someone from Microsoft come to my house and smash my Xbox with a hammer and ban me and all my family members from Xbox LIVE for seven million years?!

I guess I'm getting a few more games from my previous list :lol

Montresor

This month I bought:

Mark of the Ninja: 600 pts
Trials HD: 400 pts
Trials Evolution: 800 pts
Trials Evo DLC: 200 pts
ilomilo: 400 points
Quarrel: 200 points
Twisted Pixel bundle: 800 pts
Bioshock Season Pass: 1600 pts

I bought at least four XBLA games that were 400 pts and up, so I'm definitely completing the second punch card.

If i omit the Trials DLC and the Bioshock pass, I get a total of exactly 3200 points. Does the Twisted Pixel bundle count towards the 3200 points on the third card?

This month I bought:

Mark of the Ninja: 600 pts
Trials HD: 400 pts
Trials Evolution: 800 pts
Trials Evo DLC: 200 pts
ilomilo: 400 points
Quarrel: 200 points
Twisted Pixel bundle: 800 pts
Bioshock Season Pass: 1600 pts

I bought at least four XBLA games that were 400 pts and up, so I'm definitely completing the second punch card.

If i omit the Trials DLC and the Bioshock pass, I get a total of exactly 3200 points. Does the Twisted Pixel bundle count towards the 3200 points on the third card?

You can go here to check: http://rewards.xbox.com/mypunchcard/

One thing to keep in mind is that it takes like five days for it to update so if you purchased something in the last five days or played a lot it won't be reflected yet.

daninthemix

After the Guardian Heroes price drop, I wonder if other Treasure games like Radiant Silvergun or Bangai-O are going to drop as well?

Feindflug

I opened my 360 earlier to download some demos that I haven't tried (and check out some recommendations from Stump) and came across some strange things...the full version option of Karateka is not there and I was able to find the trial only via bing, Megaman 9 full game is priced at -1 and there is no trial to be found for Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes.

Is that normal guys or Live is fucked up at the moment? I want to try out Clash of Heroes! :/

Vert boil

I opened my 360 earlier to download some demos that I haven't tried (and check out some recommendations from Stump) and came across some strange things...the full version option of Karateka is not there and I was able to find the trial only via bing, Megaman 9 full game is priced at -1 and there is no trial to be found for Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes.

Is that normal guys or Live is fucked up at the moment? I want to try out Clash of Heroes! :/

Nothing is showing up on the status page and things you mentioned are messed up in a different way on a UK account. MM9 just throws up an error code (bu works on a US account and is the correct price), CoH works normally on my main UK account but the demo doesn't show up on another UK account.

No idea if this has been going on for a while or if it's just messed up at the minute. You should be able to do everything via the website.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Karateka/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841128c
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/MEGA-MAN-9/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841092a
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...f-Heroes/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410a19

Top Bottom