• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Having a blast with God Mode. Love the random effects it adds to the arenas. Every playthrough feels unique. Still haven't finished a level on my own. But playing random quick matches, I've been able to finish a couple sessions on silver difficulty. It's a shame my friends don't seem to like the game. I see myself spending much more time with this game.

Are there actually people playing it on XBLA? Giant Bomb QL looked quite good. haven't tried the demo yet, mind.

zorbsie

Are there actually people playing it on XBLA? Giant Bomb QL looked quite good. haven't tried the demo yet, mind.

It's not instant, but after about a minute I've always found a game. The players you find will vary. Got into a great room where players waited for everyone to gather pickups before moving to the next room. Then I got into a room where some dude kept shooting me when we got to the gold room. That part was kind of shitty.

Shady859

Yea I got God Mode today, lots of people play online or enough that i've always quickly got a full game but MP is broken. Seems like someone leaves and whole thing ends. Every single online game I've played it's happened. Had a couple straight up freezes as well in MP where everyone just runs around after 1 guy quits and you can't kill anything and eventually just have to quit out.

Slygmous

If you aren't already aware you can take chests with you after you empty them by hitting them with a hammer and then store stuff in your place. I now have like nine chests spread around and have started sorting what each is for. It's pretty handy. Also, you can sell stuff to your merchant once he moves in. That also has helped a lot.
:O Game changer! Now I need to go find those empty chests again.
A merchant started hanging around right before I turned it off, but he wanted gold coins for his wares. I'll need to build a house for him I suppose. Then I need to figure out how to make multi-level homes. This game is great!

Yea I got God Mode today, lots of people play online or enough that i've always quickly got a full game but MP is broken. Seems like someone leaves and whole thing ends. Every single online game I've played it's happened. Had a couple straight up freezes as well in MP where everyone just runs around after 1 guy quits and you can't kill anything and eventually just have to quit out.

I also was getting in games quickly though moving to gold difficulty can slow the process down a bit. The game will start up after enough time of no new people joining so that means you might find yourself going into gold difficulty with only one or two other people. And I've had it both be smooth and freeze when people leave. Just seems random.

:O Game changer! Now I need to go find those empty chests again.
A merchant started hanging around right before I turned it off, but he wanted gold coins for his wares. I'll need to build a house for him I suppose. Then I need to figure out how to make multi-level homes. This game is great!

The merchant arrives as soon as you have 50 silver coins. Each person has some sort of prerequisites. Fairly certain the guide tells you what they need if you go through his help dialogue. Also, you can sell to your merchant by going to buy and then moving over to your inventory. I think the X button is sell at that point. I sold a bunch of the gems (topaz, emerald, etc.) and got the 8g needed for the miner's helmet. That thing is the best. I never think about placing torches.

aku:jiki

Had a lot of fun with God Mode, but am a little disappointed in how easy and short it ended up being. I'm already done with all of the achievements, except for two that glitched out on me... It's a confusing game with a lot to explore at first, but you quickly figure out that the only two worthwhile guns are the SMG and Revolver and that using the special Salvage ability is the fastest way to grind gold for upgrades.

I have a hard time justifying playing a game past completing it since I have so many games I haven't even gotten started on lying around, so I hope this game gets DLC so I have a reason to play it more in the future.

Then I got into a room where some dude kept shooting me when we got to the gold room. That part was kind of shitty.
Hah, I've only played 2-3 matches with randoms and every match was with jackasses like that. I had one match where I was clearly the MVP with 250 kills and 0 deaths while the other brats had 75/4, yet they were all mad and shooting at me constantly because I grabbed the powerups I created by killing monsters and they spent the entire gold room run trying to chase and kill me. XBL never changes. <3

Had a lot of fun with God Mode, but am a little disappointed in how easy and short it ended up being. I'm already done with all of the achievements, except for two that glitched out on me... It's a confusing game with a lot to explore at first, but you quickly figure out that the only two worthwhile guns are the SMG and Revolver and that using the special Salvage ability is the fastest way to grind gold for upgrades.

I have a hard time justifying playing a game past completing it since I have so many games I haven't even gotten started on lying around, so I hope this game gets DLC so I have a reason to play it more in the future.

Hah, I've only played 2-3 matches with randoms and every match was with jackasses like that. I had one match where I was clearly the MVP with 250 kills and 0 deaths while the other brats had 75/4, yet they were all mad and shooting at me constantly because I grabbed the powerups I created by killing monsters and they spent the entire gold room run trying to chase and kill me. XBL never changes. <3

Obviously everyone benefits by not shooting one another but I sort of enjoyed shooting at others on occasion. There's only a few seconds of respawn and odds are you'll collect very little while chasing them and shooting them so in the end you're just forgoing more gold for amusing yourself. And that's pretty okay with me. I've been having extra gold at than I can spend most the time I was leveling up so I don't mind wasting my time. And often I'd do little more than scare the other players since I almost never shot enough to kill but just a few shots at them to get them twitchy. Though it almost seems they should have added something to make it beneficial to kill the other players like maybe it drains a portion of their gold and gives it to you? Give a better reason to do it.

Every time I've looked for a game there have been people playing it.

Some people are assholes and always run ahead to the next gate as fast as possible but a good group will hang around the portal waiting for you to run around getting all the health/armor/ammo pickups you need.

Slygmous

Since when did the Xbox Rewards page start offering stats? It lists the most hours I put into certain games within the last 6 months, and a detailed breakdown of SP vs MP time. I wish this functionality was on the xbox itself.

The merchant arrives as soon as you have 50 silver coins. Each person has some sort of prerequisites. Fairly certain the guide tells you what they need if you go through his help dialogue. Also, you can sell to your merchant by going to buy and then moving over to your inventory. I think the X button is sell at that point. I sold a bunch of the gems (topaz, emerald, etc.) and got the 8g needed for the miner's helmet. That thing is the best. I never think about placing torches.

Thanks for the advice, you've been exceptionally helpful.

Vert boil

Just noticed that Capy updated their site with some new (lovely png) screens for Super TIME Force.

STF_Futurecity.png

STF_Assteroid.png

STF_198x.png

The also started using vine last week and put some up on their tumblr.

And Call of Juarez: Gunslinger will be coming out May 22nd for 1200msp.
Thread - New trailer - Interview

UraMallas

When do we learn about this weeks gold discounts? I might want to jump on a game or two from this sale bur it depends on what is coming this week in the sale.

drbond

Neo Member
When do we learn about this weeks gold discounts? I might want to jump on a game or two from this sale bur it depends on what is coming this week in the sale.

Same here! Trying to complete the Xbox Live punchcard for the month, with more budget-minded gold-discount purchases.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Was Warhammer Kill Team worth it at that price?

Kill Team was a decent enough game, but others made the comment, when the sale went live, that with things like Gattlin Gears and Renegade Ops on the service, it wasn't so worth it.

Best would be to try the demo. It did a good job of showing most of what the game was about, and let you mess around a bit with the class specials and pickups.

Having the game also unlocked a wep skin or 2 in the Warhammer: Space Marine Game, too.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Rock of Ages any good?

Artsy a fun, with a lot of personality. I haven't spent much time with it, but it seems like the kind of game you either deeply fall in love with, or just kinda look at and wonder...

I remember it's demo being pretty meaty; offering some single player quest and challenge-style content.

And By the Way...:

Bought ^_^

Welcome to the fun and awesome world of Guardian Heroes :)

Rock of Ages any good?

I got 200/200 in it. It's amusing and worth playing through, especially on sale, but the game definitely isn't amazing. My biggest issue is that no matter what you do it's always going to take three balls to break down the enemy's door. Doesn't matter what ball you use, from beginning to end, it's a race to see who can hit the other side's door three times. They should have done a bit more with that since they give the impression it matters with the health bars for the doors.

Aside from that it's a neat ball rolling game and the tower defense stuff is novel but you're not given much time so usually you won't plan some intricate maze and instead you'll throw as much stuff down as you can afford in a scattered, crazy pattern and just hope for the best.

Regardless, I enjoyed it enough to play past beating it to collect all the keys in all the levels and whatever else was needed for all the achievements. I'll warn you, some of those keys are a real pain in the ass towards the end and require some crazy rolling and jumping.

I also just like to support Ace Team. Zeno Clash was super neat and I want them to have money to keep making more games. They sure know how to make odd games.

Jb

For this price I might get From Dust. The mechanics always seemed a bit primitive for a very satisfying game but it must be at least pretty fun to mess around with.

FerranMG

I loved From Dust.

It has some very minor drawbacks, but I found the gameplay to be very appealing.
I was hoping they would release some DLC, or to hear about some hypothetical sequel.

daevv

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

Carcassonne - 400msp (was 800)
Catan - 320msp (was 800)
From Dust - 480msp (was 1200)
Peggle - 320msp (was 800)
--Peggle Nights - 160msp (was 400)
Plants vs Zombie - 600msp (was 1200)
Quantum Conundrum - 480msp (was 1200)
Rock of Ages - 320msp (was 800)
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD - 320msp (was 800)

-----

Kinect Party
--Full Unlock - 320msp (was 800)

-----

Sweet! I missed the November sale on Carcassonne last year! I bought the points to buy it for 800 but never pulling the trigger.

Poker Night 2 will be out tomorrow but I presume he's got the price wrong again. PC version is only 5$.

Poker Night 2 has some sweet avatar awards: http://avatarawards.ninjasfate.com/xbla/p-t/poker-night-2/

EdgeXL

How is Super Puzzle Fighter II? I have passed on previous sales but it's only $4 this time.

Just a reminder, the Best Buy website has 1600 + 400 MS points for $19.99. That's like getting $5 in points for free.

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

Carcassonne - 400msp (was 800)
Catan - 320msp (was 800)
From Dust - 480msp (was 1200)
Peggle - 320msp (was 800)
--Peggle Nights - 160msp (was 400)
Plants vs Zombie - 600msp (was 1200)
Quantum Conundrum - 480msp (was 1200)
Rock of Ages - 320msp (was 800)
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD - 320msp (was 800)

-----

Kinect Party
--Full Unlock - 320msp (was 800)

-----

AHHHHHH! I just bought Catan a week and half ago! Damn, you Microsoft!

Dunno how I'm going to spend 3,200pts this month, as nothing this week or next week in the sales really interests me (I've got all the stuff I want!)

I'm thinking of getting a few games that have never been on sale, so with the 800 back they'll cost 600pts each instead of 800pts. Not the best discounts but for stuff that's never going to go on sale, could be worth doing. At the moment, my eyes are on Exit 2, Shotest Shogi, Omega Five, and... something else. What should I really be getting which hasn't ever been reduced?

Gamejunky

So frustrating, have 470 points and I want to get Quantum Conundrum for 480 points. I'll be damned if i'm gonna buy 500 points just to get the extra 10 lol

Z_Y

Just letting people in this thread know...

Sega Rally Online Arcade was pulled and you can't download it again even if you previously purchased it. Not sure if this is a glitch or on purpose but I just got refunded the 400msp I paid for it a year and a half ago. Might be able to get a refund if you purchased it and complain. It regularly went for 1200msp, didn't it?

I just used the chat support on xbox.com. Once they escalated it, it was all done through email...so you don't have to hang on the phone.

aku:jiki

Just letting people in this thread know...

Sega Rally Online Arcade was pulled and you can't download it again even if you previously purchased it. Not sure if this is a glitch or on purpose but I just got refunded the 400msp I paid for it a year and a half ago. Might be able to get a refund if you purchased it and complain. It regularly went for 1200msp, didn't it?

I just used the chat support on xbox.com. Once they escalated it, it was all done through email...so you don't have to hang on the phone.
I wanted to jump on this (free points!), but I seem to be able to download it fine? :(

Top Bottom